Rumour Warriors Player Movements, Re-signings, and Rumour Mill: 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
No player's position should be 'safe.' There were obviously some major cock-ups in the way the whole thing went down, which resulted in him being dicked around, but the fact is, he is under contract and his employers wanted him to see out that contract, he still got paid and paid well. No doubt paid far more than any of us. In fact he, quite possibly, has not actually 'worked' a day in his life. Many of us have crap bosses it doesn't mean you act like a child. He is privileged to play in an amazing competition and represent his country. You may find he lacks the communication skills and smarts to have talked it out with management at the time. I too listened to his interview and it didn't scream major, horrendous injustice to me.

I don't give a shit about losing him because we have players that are willing to work for the jersey. He just gave up like a pussy. I know he has been injured (wonder what his recovery effort has been like), but if he had been determined to get back in the side and play his best footy, he would be in the team - maybe wing, maybe standoff, hell at this stage they may of been thinking very seriously about moving ST to standoff and giving KL a contract extension at FB. Many great players in the NRL have had their position taken and had to fight to get it back, and become better players in the process.

He should have been one of the world's best players imo. He's not even close; I put that down to him

Last edited:
the thing that gets me the most is that locke will jump in front of a bullet for this club this time last year, remember that game in christchurch a couple of years ago, that to me defines what a player should do for a club when he jumped on the ball and ended up smashing into the goal post. this tomkins fella, even though i rate him highly has showen me NOTHINGin comparisons to locke and what he does for the club. Lets be honest if you were locke, having been mucked around by the club and the a million dollar signing is bought in from over seas who plays your position, i do not blame locke a bit. He gave so much to this club and we may aswell have spat in his face. yes his attitude may be negative but if he was getting game time maybe he would have been more occupied than to muck around...

No player's position should be 'safe.' There were obviously some major cock-ups in the way the whole thing went down, which resulted in him being dicked around, but the fact is, he is under contract and his employers wanted him to see out that contract, he still got paid and paid well. No doubt paid far more than any of us. In fact he, quite possibly, has not actually 'worked' a day in his life. Many of us have crap bosses it doesn't mean you act like a child. He is privileged to play in an amazing competition and represent his country. You may find he lacks the communication skills and smarts to have talked it out with management at the time. I too listened to his interview and it didn't scream major, horrendous injustice to me.

I don't give a shit about losing him because we have players that are willing to work for the jersey. He just gave up like a pussy. I know he has been injured (wonder what his recovery effort has been like), but if he had been determined to get back in the side and play his best footy, he would be in the team - maybe wing, maybe standoff, hell at this stage they may of been thinking very seriously about moving ST to standoff and giving KL a contract extension at FB. Many great players in the NRL have had their position taken and had to fight to get it back, and become better players in the process.

He should have been one of the world's best players imo. He's not even close; I put that down to him
All very well put. I agree whole-heartedly.

I was always a Locke "fan-boi". I always rated him the next big thing. I thought he was immature, but would grow out of it once he was given a bit of tough love. I don't have a lot of issues with the way the club kept him in the dark about Tomkins. I actually think the club were more interested in all of the other benefits and aspects of a Tomkins contract than they were in replacing Kevin. I was always convinced Tomkins would be better suited to #6 than #1, and that Locke's on-field do-or-die attitude would return with the positive culture that would follow ST to NZ. I think it all fell over with Locke's World Cup injury, and he seems to have gotten a bee in his bonnet while in rehab.

I have finally given up on Locke. He had the opportunity to at least go out on a high. Cappy appeared keen to find a place for him in the first grade team. Wing, bench hooker, utility and FB were all options if he just put his nose to the grindstone and gave it everything. He is now putting the team at risk with a sudden shortage in wing and fullback depth. His emotional weaknesses have decided his future.

Let him go, and move on. Maybe one day he will come back and be the superstar he should have been. When he finally grows up.

Good Luck Knobby.

the thing that gets me the most is that locke will jump in front of a bullet for this club this time last year, remember that game in christchurch a couple of years ago, that to me defines what a player should do for a club when he jumped on the ball and ended up smashing into the goal post. this tomkins fella, even though i rate him highly has showen me NOTHINGin comparisons to locke and what he does for the club. Lets be honest if you were locke, having been mucked around by the club and the a million dollar signing is bought in from over seas who plays your position, i do not blame locke a bit. He gave so much to this club and we may aswell have spat in his face. yes his attitude may be negative but if he was getting game time maybe he would have been more occupied than to muck around...

Have to understand though the reason in the first place the club sought out Sam Tomkins is because the form of Kevin Locke was very ordinary for some time. Last year he scored 2 tries in 20 games. Darius Boyd is often maligned for try scoring stats, but Darius is also someone when in form who will be up in the line creating a lot for others, Kevin is nowhere near as creative and needs to get some 'stats' going his way.

I personally believe injuries halted Kevin's career in a big way. Kevin's big strength was speed off the mark to nip through gaps, but that has nearly evaporated from sight. Kevin essentially went from the end of 2011 where he was genuinely competing in the top 5 fullbacks in the game to the point where he was no longer a Kiwis regular, and battling to provide absolutely anything on field for the club.

As I understand, Kevin's off field issues have been going on a lot longer than when the club sought out Tomkins. His workrate at practice etc as I understand it is fairly poor. He was like Russell Packer, a problem waiting to happen.

Also, that game where he took on the posts was 2010. Not last year. He was also playing on the wing that day.

Also, both Matt Elliott and Andrew McFadden said on numerous occasions in the media that irrespective of Sam Tomkins, Kevin Locke was far too good to leave out of their top 13. Whether that meant he played on the wing, or forced Tomkins to five eighth, or played five eighth himself, Kevin was a wanted man here at the Warriors. Sometimes players have to change position, and when your form has been severely doing for a long time in that position, sometimes the player has to accept its for the better. I can certainly understand how Kevin may have felt, but, he left himself exposed with poor form and a poor attitude.

Ta-ta the goose.

if we are
Have to understand though the reason in the first place the club sought out Sam Tomkins is because the form of Kevin Locke was very ordinary for some time. Last year he scored 2 tries in 20 games. Darius Boyd is often maligned for try scoring stats, but Darius is also someone when in form who will be up in the line creating a lot for others, Kevin is nowhere near as creative and needs to get some 'stats' going his way.

I personally believe injuries halted Kevin's career in a big way. Kevin's big strength was speed off the mark to nip through gaps, but that has nearly evaporated from sight. Kevin essentially went from the end of 2011 where he was genuinely competing in the top 5 fullbacks in the game to the point where he was no longer a Kiwis regular, and battling to provide absolutely anything on field for the club.

As I understand, Kevin's off field issues have been going on a lot longer than when the club sought out Tomkins. His workrate at practice etc as I understand it is fairly poor. He was like Russell Packer, a problem waiting to happen.

Also, that game where he took on the posts was 2010. Not last year. He was also playing on the wing that day.

Also, both Matt Elliott and Andrew McFadden said on numerous occasions in the media that irrespective of Sam Tomkins, Kevin Locke was far too good to leave out of their top 13. Whether that meant he played on the wing, or forced Tomkins to five eighth, or played five eighth himself, Kevin was a wanted man here at the Warriors. Sometimes players have to change position, and when your form has been severely doing for a long time in that position, sometimes the player has to accept its for the better. I can certainly understand how Kevin may have felt, but, he left himself exposed with poor form and a poor attitude.

Ta-ta the goose.
i said a couple of years ago, not last year. cheers though,wing or full back makes no diffrence it goes to show that he will give 100 percent for you on the field. off the field is an issue, has he ever received help? or just been kicked to the curb untill last year we managed to find a "upgrade". if we were talking about form why isn't Nielsen being shipped on the next express plane to Salford? ill pay for the shipping, put tuimavave and Mateo (although he is improving and making plays only he could)

Reactions: 2 people
Dane Neilsen isn't being express shipped off because no one will take him. He's living the life of penance in reserve grade, so that should give you some idea as to how the club feels about his efforts. Carlos Tuimavave is off contract and as I understand it other clubs are keen to take him (Newcastle Knights from memory are the main suitor). Carlos has been going well in reserve grade after a horrible match against Wests Tigers earlier this year.

I doubt Kevin would have taken a bullet last year. His efforts in training have been abysmal as I understand it.

Most clubs would have done pretty much the same as us. Look at Canberra at the moment, I'm sure if one of their local sons who wasn't firing had a potential replacement of high quality available, they'd do their best to get that player.

Nielsen should be band from this website end of story.
Carlos is the biggest build ups to come from the under 20's recent years
no one would physically and litteraly take a Bullet for a sporting club if that is what you are going after.
thing is he chose to leave, not like Canberra signed someone leaving him no choice.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
I listened to his radio interview about 6 weeks ago. He was told that he could have a release, but was only given two weeks to find a club, which itself isn't very long. He found one, but it happened to be the Panthers. Whereupon our beloved Scurrah said you can't go. Mt Wellington knows far more about this than me. But Kevin set a lot of it out in his interview.

When he was told by management that he could shop around he had a firm offer from the Storm who were looking to play him in place of Gareth Widdop who had then just signed with the Dragons. Talks developed to the stage where he was flown courtesy of the Storm to view their facilities and have one on one talks. He also had strong interest from the Bulldogs who were going to sign him if they didnt get Anthony Milford. This was all canned once Matt Elliott caught wind of it. He was none the wiser beforehand and Matt was quoted as saying just that at the time.

When he was again told he could find another club. The deal with the Storm and the Bulldogs had moved on. He then entered talks with the Panthers who he was keen to move to so he could reunite with Ivan Cleary. When the club found out they put a deadline on it effectively killing any hope of him joining Penrith.

Despite what some may say about his supposed form, Kevin Locke is an NRL quality player and certainly doesnt deserve to waste away in the Reserve Grade. The way the club have handled this is disgraceful and shows a complete lack of respect. This is the same way they treated Russell Packer, telling him at the Warriors Prizegiving night that he was being let go effective immediately. The same way they booted Matt Elliott.

Whether you like these people personally (remember I hated Rusty the person and Matt Elliott the coach) or as players is irrelevant. There is a certain way to treat people who have literally poured sweat, blood and tears for you. There is a level of courtesy and humanity you afford people who busted their balls for you.

Theres a dark callousness that is emanating from deep within the club and high up as well. Specifically Dean Bell who thinks nothing of playing with these players lives and treating them as cattle.

Its all unfortunately turned into a dogs breakfast this whole affair. Theres no love lost from Knobby towards the club and I get the impression he couldnt care less about playing there anymore. After the way the club has mucked him around I dont blame him. As I posted earlier, Locke is just waiting for his Visa then he's off. He's happily made his bed and cant wait to sleep in it.

I appreciate the club is a business and someone has to make the hard calls but there is a way to go about it that can make the split more amicable. Surely the club doesnt need to be so ruthless when dealing with such an important thing as players careers? This is something that has wide ranging implications for not only the players but their partners, children, parents, etc.

Whats done is done and it'll soon be water under the bridge but I really do hope the club learns from these incidents and shows a little more compassion in the future.

Dude he hasn't given that much for the club. He's always been an idiot off the field getting into trouble and not concentrating on his footy from DAY ONE. Dude was one of NZ's next big things but rated going out getting on the piss and chasing tail as more important. Even Ruben Wiki told him to shape up or ship out.

So don't give us the 'club spat on his face' crap, if he actually put footy as #1 he wouldn't be in this position. But no, he thought he was untouchable @ the club and plays off his celebratory status, got complacent on and off the field and now has paid the ultimate price.

Also your comment about 'mucking around when not getting game time' errrr Locke has always been selected WHEN FIT so not sure what you're on about there.

Ever Hopeful

Contributor
Thanks for some of the inside word there Mt W. Very worrying about Dean Bell, any good workplace is one where fidelity goes both ways. I am a person who believes in acting professionally no matter what the circumstances, but for KL to have the rug pulled out from under him TWICE is taking the piss. He may feel disillusioned, but a man will be judged by the way in which he stands up to diversity. The SL is not the place to go to prove yourself, but then we all have to acknowledge that some of the benefits to KL's (& family) life may well outweigh professional satisfaction and I can respect that.

I guess one philosophical question to ask is whether this organisation needs to be callous and hard-nosed going forward. Is winning a premiership worth breaking a few eggs and losing some of the family-first ideologies this club has carried for 20 years? After all Australians have been winning for years in sport - they are brash, cut-throat and downright arrogant in most sports.

Also rumour on sharks forum that Ayshford will be coming to the Warriors either this year or next

Not the first time he's been linked with us... would be nothing more than a depth signing with Konnie and Ngani performing well, and Allwood on his way...

Though, if we're being linked with another centre, you'd have to think Nielsen would be on his way.

Not the first time he's been linked with us... would be nothing more than a depth signing with Konnie and Ngani performing well, and Allwood on his way...

Though, if we're being linked with another centre, you'd have to think Nielsen would be on his way.

Interesting that he could come this year?!? If it happens would it be our first mid season signing?

Apparently bent eo wants to try make the English rugby team for next years World Cup- that's why he's keen on European rugby- qualifies thro some relative.
The guys a total mercenary

Maybe the Warriors are learning they need to put a line through Hurrell for the first Six weeks or so every season.

What's that worth in contract dollars btw ? works out at just shy of a quarter of a season of not being up to scratch x 2 seasons is a 10 -12 rounds in the last couple of years that you pay Konrad to get fit instead of earn his contract with full games.

Lets say his is a 400k player.....he costs the Warriors approaching a couple of hundred K in unavailability because of his unique fitness issues.

From my point of view even though he is one of the best players in the team......if the Warriors are looking at people like Ayshford / Allwood to cover Hurrells 2015 slow start.....they're investing in bad economics.

Next year if he decides to bludge on the Warriros, I would be sending him the bill or telling him to piss off.

Jordan G

With Kata on the wing our centre options for the NSWarriors appear to be Neilsen, Tuimavavae, Peyroux. Considering that, plus the fact at least 2 of those 3 will be gone next season, a Ayshford/Allwood centre combo as backup isn't going to cause me to complain.

Status
Not open for further replies.