Rumour Warriors Player Movements, Re-signings, and Rumour Mill: 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jordan G

Defence Defence will be pleased.

There is no way they are going to release Seb. He is about the best news they have unveiled in a Local forward since Matangi last year....there is no one else in our entire squad that can lead the offensive defending that Mcfadden is a massive fan of.

That style of defence will lead the change to the Warriors new look , it certainly has been leading that change so far, and when we came up against a big pack that model was tested,

Questions leading up to the Souths game included : Will we be able to muscle up...would the new fandangled Seb led tackling with hurt stuff work or would the Bunnies be immune.

Will Mcfadden change that emphasis based on the Bunnies being able to soak it up and given that their weakness's were wider out.

Well McFadden went with Havili and Matangi ( some thought too few minutes....others have pointed out he was blowing and missing tackles ) Havili gave us more grunt.......Ikahihifo smashed them over....

From my point of view Sebs the first forward picked based on a game plan type the coach likes.

Since we went after Moa under Mcfaddens watch...you can only deduce that he wants more Seb like heavy contact forwards to deliver the game plan and a genuine forward that will give us two Mannerings ( Hoffman ) I'm down with this big time peeps

Agree, and we have a few of those who could develop into that sort of system in the lower grades. Vete, Papalli, Gubb, Lisone, Mariner all have that potential to hit hard. It's what I liked about Vete in NYC. He'd come off the bench and the first thing he'd do is try to put a shot on someone.

Hopefully at least a couple of these guys develop to the level Seb has displayed this year. We'd have a fearsome pack then.

Club took up his option just recently so he'll be here for 2015 as well...

Great news, not surprising given his recent performances. Would love to see him locked up long term. Smart guy with a great work ethic and a super fit hard hitter. Exactly the kind of guy we need to hold on to. With the culture Cappy is trying to create, I think Seb will be at the club for many years to come.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
League: Warriors still in discussion over Locke
Warriors-Kevin-Locke-Eden-Park-16mar2013-Photosport.jpg

Photo: Kevin Locke (Photosport)

By: Brenton Vannisselroy, | Rugby League News | Wednesday June 11 2014 19:26

Warriors coach Andrew McFadden insists the club is still in discussions with Salford about the possibility of granting Kevin Locke an early release from his NRL contract

Salford owner Marwan Koukash claims he's secured the fullback's release and Locke will join the Super League club as soon as he secures his visa.

McFadden says Koukash's comments are a little frustrating.

"Because nothing's been settled yet but he's obviously quite comfortable with himself, the owner there so I'm sure he's got not too many problems in his life."

Locke has only featured in two games for the Warriors this season, with new signing Sam Tomkins preferred at fullback.

https://www.radiosport.co.nz/news/spleg/1854296551-league--warriors-still-in-discussion-over-locke

From stuff;

Kevin Locke will be heading to Salford shortly and it leaves the club short of standout alternatives for the No 1 jersey.
''We've got a few options there,'' McFadden said.
''David Fusitua has played fullback, there's also Carlos Tuimavave and we've got young Tui Lolohea at fullback this weekend, and that might be an opportunity for him if something does happen.''
Lolohea will play fullback rather than in the halves in Saturday's NSW Cup game against the Sharks in Gisborne for that very reason.
Although Locke's early release to Salford hasn't been finalised, and won't be until his visa is sorted, the English club expect him to arrive soon. Owner Marwan Koukash has tweeted as much, and they've offloaded a couple of players to make room for him inside the salary cap.
Despite this, there is no official word from the Warriors about his departure, but the fact he wasn't at training yesterday confirms he's no longer part of the club's plans.
''We're obviously dealing with Kevin at the moment,'' McFadden said.
''We're discussing a few things with Salford. All I can really tell you is that a decision will be made in the best interest of the club and Kevin."

All this fuss over Locke ffs just give the boy a farkeen release and let him on his way, Warriors are unhappy with him, he wants out, just his visa to be sorted and later gator best of luck, move on from him it's obvious he's no longer part of the plans and good riddance we don't need kids with attitudes here, we need men to win a premiership.

Interesting that Tui's being considered for fullback... the issue I have with this (and also what I think everyone who is calling for Tomkins to switch to 5/8 is forgetting) is that one of the major reasons we brought Tomkins in, in the first place, was to help remedy a major issue the club has been dealing with for a little while now - poor communication. If nothing else, Tomkins has brought great communication to the team, especially in the critical position of fullback, where communication in setting the d-line is paramount... if we do go down the route of shifting Tomkins to the halves, and bring in someone like Fusitua or Lolohea, aren't we going to backwards at a huge rate of knots in terms of our communication?

I still maintain that between Tomkins and Shaun Johnson we have enough on-field generalship and kicking, that if we are going to bring Tui in, he should come in as a true running 5/8 - give him a very simple role, and just let him run if he sees it's on.

I wonder how much compensation the Warriors are demanding for Locke before they stop talking all the nonsense about ' nothings been agreed to '

' negotiation$ are ongoing '

Piss off. Marwan will be driving a hard bargain

Last edited:

Far Away Fan

I wonder how much compensation the Warriors are demanding for Locke before they stop talking all the nonsense about ' nothings been agreed to '

Piss off. Marwan will be saying ' that's not a fair figure' .........' if we can come to a fair figure for less than a seasons Footy '

HQ is shooting itself in the foot with this. Players elsewhere who might or might not be potential recruitment targets probably aren't keeping their eye on all this messing about with Kevin, but all the player agents are gonna be taking notice.

"Watch out with the Warriors, they'll lie to you about other players coming in and your position in the team, if someone comes in over you they'll let you go and then turn around and say they won't, then they'll issue press releases making out that you're the bad guy. Then they'll say you're released after all, but in the next breath say we're still negotiating. Take their offer if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you! It's your career!"

Just give him a release, FFS!

[/rant]

Reactions: Sup42

tajhay

🏉
"Watch out with the Warriors, they'll lie to you about other players coming in and your position in the team, if someone comes in over you they'll let you go and then turn around and say they won't, then they'll issue press releases making out that you're the bad guy. Then they'll say you're released after all, but in the next breath say we're still negotiating. Take their offer if you want, but don't say I didn't warn you! It's your career!"

[/rant]

Where have the Warriors said they have released him and then changed the tune? If anything it is Marwan Koukash who tweeted about the release prematurely. Warriors have every right to ask for compensation seeing:
1) Kevin Locke is under contract for this year
2) Him not being at the club weakens our depth in the FB position.

Im all for his release, and im sure that will happen. Im all for removing cancerous attitudes that have held back this club.

HQ is shooting itself i the foot with this. Players elsewhere who might or might not be potential recruitment targets probably aren't keeping their eye on all this messing about with Kevin, but all the player agents are gonna be taking notice.

[/rant]

Yeah but the Irony is Kevin it going to Salford - who are the most ruthless club going and they will boot him if they want
They booted two players to get him in.

It might not be compensation it might how much of this years contract for Salford to pick up.

Warriors didnt say he was released - Salford did.

Piss off. Marwan will be driving a hard bargain

You are contractdicting yourself - clearly they are still talking money???
How much salford will be playing this years contract.

If they are still talking - then truly Nothings been agreed to

Reactions: tajhay
I don't really get the logic in this. Losing depth for no particular reason, seems crazy to me. I can only hope we one day reap the benefits of getting in Koukash's good books.
They have to take into consideration the player aswell I would think.

Lockes done his time at the Warriors, hes getting offers and I guess the Warriors think they have adequate cover. Honestly they are not going to drop Tomkins after spending a fortune on him, he will play as long as hes fit, even if he totally capitulates formwise I reckon

Reactions: 2 people
You are contractdicting yourself - clearly they are still talking money???
How much salford will be playing this years contract.

If they are still talking - then truly Nothings been agreed to
yeah that all makes sense.

Locke for this season is actually the Warriors problem , right now. If it's true he's gone Inu then he is dead weight. The Warriors can wishful think that Locke is a fullback depth option.....to my mind if he has gone AWOL on the coach then what is he worth to the Warriors ? more harm than good probably.

I don't have an issue with the Warriors wanting compensation that's fair enough too. With Inu they ended up paying for him to play elsewhere....so to my way of thinking .......in these situations......they are best served weighing up their reality

1) they do not have a depth player in Locke right now

2 ) he is not an asset

3) He is bleeding the Warriors by the pay cycle

Last edited:

Far Away Fan

Where have the Warriors said they have released him and then changed the tune? If anything it is Marwan Koukash who tweeted about the release prematurely. Warriors have every right to ask for compensation seeing:
1) Kevin Locke is under contract for this year
2) Him not being at the club weakens our depth in the FB position.

Im all for his release, and im sure that will happen. Im all for removing cancerous attitudes that have held back this club.

I listened to his radio interview about 6 weeks ago. He was told that he could have a release, but was only given two weeks to find a club, which itself isn't very long. He found one, but it happened to be the Panthers. Whereupon our beloved Scurrah said you can't go. Mt Wellington knows far more about this than me. But Kevin set a lot of it out in his interview.

It's really getting to me that he's getting portrayed as a bad boy when basically he's been shat upon by HQ and that people are still believing that he is at fault. HQ want him to continue to be portrayed as a bad boy so as to deflect any fault from themselves. Taj, you're still thinking its his cancerous attitude, but he's just reacted in a very understandable way to what has been dealt out to him.

It's a horrible situation for anyone to be in.

Some people on here think that I'm being an apologist for Kevin by stating what I've been stating, whereas all I'm trying to do is to throw some light on it, because it is extraordinarily unjust.

Don't forget that all through last year, when the rumours were flying around about ST being signed, he was told that ST wasn't coming, "just carry on and be a good boy bla bla." That was bullshit. His position was never safe, rightly or wrongly, management were doing their utmost to replace him. He has put his body on the line for the Warriors, time after time, we've all been witness to that. So I hope you can understand my belief that in return for that, the treatment which he has received, time and again, and is still going on, is nothing short of disgraceful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.