Post Match Warriors v Raiders - [Round 3, 2024]

Rate the game?

• A+

• A

• B

• C

• F----

Results are only viewable after voting.
Monty stood up at the end though. His inside man is Capewell and so maybe that group needs more time to build trust.
Yes, and I should have said that. In the championship minutes Montoya kept his composure and made some good tackles. OK you have turned me around a little bit.
My other reason I have against him is there was a one percenter moment in the melbourne match with 4 minutes to go where Montoya made a catch and they tackled him and bullied him back into the in goal and got a repeat set from which they scored. I felt Ed as the bigger man would have made back into the field of play and I also felt on that one percenter play that Marcelo didn't fight with all his being to get into the field of play. Looked like he was just pleased he defused the kick.
But yes granted Montoya caught my eye in the last ten minutes as someone who really stood up when it counted.
Needs to be more consistent across the 80 minutes if we keep picking him.

I think that Ed Kosi should be playing for Montoya. Ed is 12 kgs heavier than Montoya and weighs 107kgs - I reckon he would have stopped Timoko's try. And I don't think Ed would have gone for the crazy ass intercept on the 2nd try.
I think we should change the ranking of our wings
Rank 1 Dallin
Rank 2 Kosi
Rank 3 Montoya

Montoya will still get plenty of games but i don't think he should be thought of as being in our best 13 when fit.

Overall though great game to watch. I thought we got very lucky on the E Strange put down try. But had that been the warriors they would not have given it to us so yeah.

In the presser Tohu said we made adjustments to how we played the last ten minutes of the match after the loss to Melbourne, and I could see today those adjustments in place (more pro-active defence).

Great win. This match was never going to be easy. Thought Dallin was a super star out there.
Shout out to Xavier Savage who I thought showed well for them.
Timoko is the best centre in the NRL.
Think Moala Graham Taufa’s stocks are rising fast too. Been playing centre but back onto the wing with Leiataua back for the nsw cup team

Same thing with RTS and Rocco.
Got to gel better in defence. Both were stood up by Timokos try. But that's going to happen to many centers this year
Indeed and Berry despite having a sublime game got stepped cold out of his shoes on the E Strange non try.

Luckily Tuapiki did a try saving tackle to rescue that situation.

. Speaking of which I counted three try saving tackles by Tuapiki on the replay that Reece Walsh two years ago for us would not have made, Tuapiki was a big reason for the win last night notwithstanding that strange decision he made to catch a ball 50 cms from the touch line and going into touch himself.

Outside of the two dropped balls in Rd 1, I think Ford's been excellent this year.

2 like breaks, a try, good defence (36 tackles per game) and plenty of meters (120m per game) so far.

Still plenty to work on and those dropped balls in the first game were diabolical, however old mate only really became a consistent first grader last year, I imagine by the end of next year he would have ironed out his errors and issues. If he gets up to 140m + a game with very few errors while still keeping those attacking capabilities, I think he could be one of the top 5 edge back rowers in the game
i straight up thought he played himself out of spot in the trials. what I love about him is that he is such an effort guy. there isn't a lot of skill or x factor to him, but he is a competitor. if you watch closely if he is beaten on a tackle the man is sprinting back to finish the tackle.

on the non-pass to Metcalf for the try. I may be in the minority but if you make a line break and aren't comfortable getting a pass way to your support (like a good pass where they can comfortably catch it) take the tackle if you get tackles up your sleeve. I also wonder if they saw something in the video on Canberra where its better where defenders are easily fooled on a dummy or are always looking to go after support players, hence blokes last night had white line fever.

i straight up thought he played himself out of spot in the trials. what I love about him is that he is such an effort guy. there isn't a lot of skill or x factor to him, but he is a competitor. if you watch closely if he is beaten on a tackle the man is sprinting back to finish the tackle.

on the non-pass to Metcalf for the try. I may be in the minority but if you make a line break and aren't comfortable getting a pass way to your support (like a good pass where they can comfortably catch it) take the tackle if you get tackles up your sleeve. I also wonder if they saw something in the video on Canberra where its better where defenders are easily fooled on a dummy or are always looking to go after support players, hence blokes last night had white line fever.
I also on the Ford line break, from watching the replay, noticed Metcalf was about ten feet to his left. Would have been easier for Ford to pass if Luke had been closer to his hip then Ford could have just pop passed it to him.

Outside of the two dropped balls in Rd 1, I think Ford's been excellent this year.

2 like breaks, a try, good defence (36 tackles per game) and plenty of meters (120m per game) so far.

Still plenty to work on and those dropped balls in the first game were diabolical, however old mate only really became a consistent first grader last year, I imagine by the end of next year he would have ironed out his errors and issues. If he gets up to 140m + a game with very few errors while still keeping those attacking capabilities, I think he could be one of the top 5 edge back rowers in the game
Yeah. Even when he didn't pass to Metcalfe that wasn't as bad as it looked when I watched it live, watched the replay this morning and he looks left and metcalf has defenders either side of him so ford looks right and there is not a clear pass on; if he looked left again metcalf has burned the defenders and is clear but it's too late and he goes into the tackle.
Next time he needs to see Metcalfe and realise he has wheels enough to get clear but then he might miss anyone trailing on the right - so it's a split second decision.

I think that Ed Kosi should be playing for Montoya. Ed is 12 kgs heavier than Montoya and weighs 107kgs - I reckon he would have stopped Timoko's try. And I don't think Ed would have gone for the crazy ass intercept on the 2nd try.
I think Montoya did pretty well in a tough situation with his effort at stopping Timoko's try and Kosi would have had even less chance in that situation. Montoya had to stay out on his opposite winger to avoid the easy overlap try in the corner until the last moment when it became clear Roger wasn't making the tackle, then has next to no time to get himself between a rampaging Timoko and the tryline. As the bigger man I am guessing Kosi's lateral movement isn't quite as good and he would have struggled to get himself in position to make a tackle without leaving his wing open.

I'll give you the crazy ass intercept though, that was atrocious.

Ford is 6 foot 2 and 101 kgs and plays like a big man given that old analogy of some players play like big men or small men regardless of their size.

I think Montoya did pretty well in a tough situation with his effort at stopping Timoko's try and Kosi would have had even less chance in that situation. Montoya had to stay out on his opposite winger to avoid the easy overlap try in the corner until the last moment when it became clear Roger wasn't making the tackle, then has next to no time to get himself between a rampaging Timoko and the tryline. As the bigger man I am guessing Kosi's lateral movement isn't quite as good and he would have struggled to get himself in position to make a tackle without leaving his wing open.

I'll give you the crazy ass intercept though, that was atrocious.
Couple of big moments from Montoya that get forgotten like that tackle on Rapana after a break to dislodge the ball late in the game too. Both our wingers have a tendency to jam in at times though for whatever reason and it’s something that good teams will make us pay like the storm did last weekend, that’s why I’ve always been an advocate of RTS at the back until CNK gets back for their defensive prowess alone. That’s no slight on Tuaupiki and as another poster mentioned that his effort defensively is night and day better than we ever got out of Walsh

CNK might have some trouble displacing Taine, he definitely ain't walking straight back in despite his amazingness
Taine is becoming good enough to get an NRL start, be interesting to see what he does, he could get a start in one of the teams in the NRL in his current form.

Been really surprised by how fast he is adapting. Certainly there could be an argument made for seeing how CNK goes with a NSW cup run for conditioning testing.

Thanks to Taine's form there is no panic to rush CNK back in early.

Ford is 6 foot 2 and 101 kgs and plays like a big man given that old analogy of some players play like big men or small men regardless of their size.
He is putting on muscle mass of the explosive kind, rather than the big heavy cosmetic kind, I think he is one of those players who may become much better with time, a lot of time, it is whether the Warriors wanna stay the course.

Back