Gameday < 2021 Warriors Offseason/Preseason 2014

All games pre 2021
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm struggling to remember a time when Campbell live did a league story.
Usually it's Wellington Hurricane stories , the All Blacks , and a Pig who can pick Winners as effectively as any of the fans of either.

The times are a changin

NRL.com confirms Konnies weight issues.

Win lifts expectations for Warriors
By Robert Lowe

AAP

1:00pm Mon 03rd March, 2014

Print
Decrease Font
Increase Font

RSS
Losses can bring pressure, but so can a good win , and Warriors centre Konrad Hurrell can feel an increase in expectations ahead of the start of the NRL season.

The Warriors go into the new campaign, and a meeting with Parramatta in Sydney next Sunday, on the back of a 48-4 thumping of Brisbane in their final trial.

The Auckland-based club scored nine tries against the Broncos in Dunedin, including a late double to Hurrell.

"Everyone is stoked by the win , but it's kind of pressuring us to do better in Round 1," he said.

"We had a good game, but we're not getting ahead of ourselves. We have to train harder and work on the game plan and hopefully we'll do well."

Hurrell has had a rigorous pre-season after coming back to training "a bit too fat".

He admits the club were disappointed about the weight he had put on after finishing playing for Tonga at last year's World Cup.

But he put in the hard yards to shed 9kg and will be back at his playing weight of last season .

A prolific line-breaker, the 22-year-old Hurrell is entering his third NRL season.

He finished his debut year in 2012 as the club's equal top-scorer with 12, and was second last season with 13.

While he is working on improvements in attack, his defence remains a big focus, and related to that is further improving his fitness.

"If I'm fatigued, I just switch off a bit," he said.

"When I get fitter, I communicate with the boys and stay together with them."

Hurrell is also preparing for a battle for a spot in the team.

Dane Nielsen is first pick for one centre berth, while Carlos Tuimavave, who was used there against the Broncos, showed some nice touches.

"Carlos had been training hard and it's going to be hard with me and Carlos competing for that position," Hurrell said.

"But for us, we don't mind who's going to play . It's what's best for the team."

Don't mind? Serious? You should bleed for that jersey, we do.

Reactions: Miket12 and Sup42
I think that comment from Hurrell is his English as a secound language thing.
Pretty sure he means if Carlos wins the Jersey it won't affect their relationship.
Most Likely it's Hurrells way of saying he doesn't expect the Jersey and he won't take it personally if he isn't up to it....in the best interests of the team.

I'm struggling to remember a time when Campbell live did a league story.
Usually it's Wellington Hurricane stories , the All Blacks , and a Pig who can pick Winners as effectively as any of the fans of either.

The times are a changin

One of the funniest things I've ever seen.

how many years has it been since they had an old school sit down pic
I'm pretty sure the 2011 poster was a sit down one. They have the plan black Eden Park jersey on. I had that down stairs in my makeshift gym with a lot of the rugby league posters. I always laugh how skinny Cleary looked compared to all of the players.

From then on they were similar to this years.

Reactions: Sup42
He has a mean overhand right, that is a jaw breaker if ever I have seen one. I wouldn't mind seeing him jump in the ring with SBW at the fight for life this year.
They had Monty speculate on that clip.
Monty was impressed with his speed ( as am I ) he compared him to Williams in terms of being Multi talented. I would like him to go the fight for life against someone like Gallen......I guess we will see that one day....he has that sort of personality to get in there. Akin to Eric Murray having a go.
If he lands that thing you're out.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
NRL: Hurrell regrets off-season excesses
By Michael Brown
3:52 PM Wednesday Mar 26, 2014
Hurrell4_620x311.jpg

Konrad Hurrell looks back on his off-season with embarrassment and regret and knows he still has to make up ground with his club after returning to pre-season training 10kg overweight.

The 22-year-old allowed his weight to get out of hand while holidaying in Tonga after last year's World Cup and the Warriors coaching staff were none too impressed when Hurrell turned up at pre-season training.

It cost him a place in the NRL side for the first two weeks of the season and, even now, he still has to content himself with a spot on the interchange bench.

"I regret the off-season,'' he said. "It's about being mature enough and professional for 12 months of the year. I need to follow the advice I get given because that's what I get paid for.

"It's just food. The portions of my food need to be a lot smaller. I need to be mature. I have learned a big lesson because I let the club down and let my brothers down and I also let my family and myself down.

"At first I thought it was off-season and I didn't need to do any training, but it was a dumb move. When I came back I had to work five times harder than what I usually do because of how I came back. It was a relief to be back in the team last week.''

Hurrell made a significant impact off the bench in the important 20-16 win over the Cowboys last weekend, when he scored a try and made a number of telling runs playing in the back-row. It was the first time he had ever played in the forwards and, while he covets a return to centre, that's where his immediate future lies.

Coach Matt Elliott said he thought Hurrell had improved his fitness sufficiently that he was capable of playing 80 minutes at centre but once again opted for Jerome Ropati and Dane Nielsen in the centres for Saturday's game against the Wests Tigers in Wellington.

"He showed in the weekend he can do a job for us in the middle,'' Elliott said. ``I feel his long-term future is definitely at centre but his integration back into the team serves us best at the moment as someone who can play across a few positions.

"This will be a massive benefit for him. It will heighten his intensity as far as his level of fitness goes but it will also give him great insight into what the players inside him are exposed to in a game.''

Hurrell said he already has a better idea after only 32 minutes on the field in Townsville.

"I thought playing in the outside backs was hard but the middle was so hard,'' he said. "I'm just happy to be back in the team and I will try do my best. I still reckon I'm a centre so hopefully I will work my way back into the side soon.

"I was really nervous before the [Cowboys] game because I knew I would have to do a lot more work than the outside backs. But I love the physical game so I was excited to be in the middle.''

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11226930

Reactions: Jay M and Sup42
"He showed in the weekend he can do a job for us in the middle,'' Elliott said. ``I feel his long-term future is definitely at centre but his integration back into the team serves us best at the moment as someone who can play across a few positions.

What if he plays so well off the bench in the back row - that it almost demands he be included there? Given last week was his first effort in the forwards - there is every chance Konnie could improve to be an absolute monster back rower... (not saying it will happen - just that it could happen)...

Reactions: surfin
What if he plays so well off the bench in the back row - that it almost demands he be included there? Given last week was his first effort in the forwards - there is every chance Konnie could improve to be an absolute monster back rower... (not saying it will happen - just that it could happen)...

Could do - Joe Galuvao started out at the Warriors being Matthew Ridge's deputy at fullback. Then he went to Penrith and made his name in the second row.

Reactions: mt.wellington
"At first I thought it was off-season and I didn't need to do any training, but it was a dumb move

I love Konnie as much as the next guy but boy that is naïve.Let's just hope it was a oncer and he doesn't do that again next season when it would be classed as thickness!!!

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
It’s not outlandish, he likes whacking people and running through them. Becomes less of a defensive liability closer in and with less minutes. You could do things like what a young Dave Taylor used to do with the broncos and put him at centre on attack so he can run at the backs.

But it’s probably not good use of resources to take someone with that try scoring record – 26 from 38 games is amazing when you consider some of the misfiring sides he’s been part of, and move him to the forwards.
If he was a centre for the storm or manly, imagine what his scoring rate would be.

He only needs to be ok on defence and able to play 80 without keeling over and fumbling the ball from tiredness to be a top 10 centre in the game, not too much to ask?

Reactions: Jay M
But it’s probably not good use of resources to take someone with that try scoring record – 26 from 38 games is amazing when you consider some of the misfiring sides he’s been part of, and move him to the forwards.

and so far he's 1 from 1 in 32 mins in the back row... which means he's 25 from 37 in the centres ;)... I'm not sure one way or the other how I'd feel about it... but we often keep on saying we'd love a genuine line breaking, offloading, tackle busting back rower... we might actually already have one... (or two if we count Faitala-Mariner)...

the thing is, we all want our centres to be 80 min players. And we have to wonder if Konnie will ever be a true 80 min centre, because other sides are always going to target him on defence to try and tire him out... by bringing him off the bench - it allows us to use him while he's fresh (no pun intended)... just a thought...

Status
Not open for further replies.