General Warriors officially take over Vulcans

Following along the same thought process regarding club football and financials. When you charge $5 at the gate (sometimes less) at some locations nothing, and then at others the venue is a drive in so the $5 ends up covering the driver and their 4 or 5 passengers - it can make it very difficult to generate revenue. You rely heavily on the players and their families to finance themselves for gear and things and transport - and they do more often than not. I find that its always the same faces, the same people volunteering or organising events and fundraisers. That's the situation in my opinion and experience, at club level. I'm not sure why the ARL want the focus on schoolboys, they need to look at club footy. I always felt the venues for the games needed to be upgraded. Comfortable seating and facilities imo might assist in encouraging spectators to games - which would then increase gate takings, which is an important source of revenue for smaller clubs. Money into promotion to bring people to the games would also help.

Following along the same thought process regarding club football and financials. When you charge $5 at the gate (sometimes less) at some locations nothing, and then at others the venue is a drive in so the $5 ends up covering the driver and their 4 or 5 passengers - it can make it very difficult to generate revenue. You rely heavily on the players and their families to finance themselves for gear and things and transport - and they do more often than not. I find that its always the same faces, the same people volunteering or organising events and fundraisers. That's the situation in my opinion and experience, at club level. I'm not sure why the ARL want the focus on schoolboys, they need to look at club footy. I always felt the venues for the games needed to be upgraded. Comfortable seating and facilities imo might assist in encouraging spectators to games - which would then increase gate takings, which is an important source of revenue for smaller clubs. Money into promotion to bring people to the games would also help.

Most clubs (read nearly nobody) dont have the facilities to even charge people to come to games.

ARL might be able to buy one ground like Mt Smart no 2. somehwere in auckland.
Like a new Carlaw Park and charge people to come but that money would go to them not the club.

Clubs need to change the way - all sports organisation need to help them do that - ARL, NZRL and Sports Auckland etc (whatever they are called).

Like I was trying to say before - all sports organisation have a massive need to increase school participation and in general participation.
They get funding based on doing that.

They arent there 100% just for the clubs imo.

Reactions: Maraea

Buck777

ARL have all this money and have been keeping costs down for clubs (regardless of other money spending).

This really gets under my skin. I had involvement with the ARL a few years ago. It was the most deharmonised disjointed factionalised organisation I ever knew. They hated the NZRL for reasons I never found out and the feeling was apparently mutual. Then there was district rivalry. My club had an internal theft of a large amount of cash-but the perpetrator was protected by the ARL. I have a small degree of integrity so ended my association.
When I raised on a forum about the sale of Carlaw Park, which in a lot of leaguees minds was an act of betrayal, got told the ARL was on the brink of bankruptcy so the sale had to happen.
Ok so you say they have heaps of money now ( presuming from the Carlaw park sale). So I contact the ARL a few years ago for funding the league club out my way- when I say funding I was after some adequate lighting as the players were training in the headlights of their cars . You don't get more local level than this - ARL not interested suggesting the mad butcher. Most would agree that local league has gone backwards at a huge rate of knots in the last two decades. This is when the ARL had 'heaps' of cash apparently. They've done nothing at a time when league has a massive profile.

This really gets under my skin. I had involvement with the ARL a few years ago. It was the most deharmonised disjointed factionalised organisation I ever knew. They hated the NZRL for reasons I never found out and the feeling was apparently mutual. Then there was district rivalry. My club had an internal theft of a large amount of cash-but the perpetrator was protected by the ARL. I have a small degree of integrity so ended my association.
When I raised on a forum about the sale of Carlaw Park, which in a lot of leaguees minds was an act of betrayal, got told the ARL was on the brink of bankruptcy so the sale had to happen.
Ok so you say they have heaps of money now ( presuming from the Carlaw park sale). So I contact the ARL a few years ago for funding the league club out my way- when I say funding I was after some adequate lighting as the players were training in the headlights of their cars . You don't get more local level than this - ARL not interested suggesting the mad butcher. Most would agree that local league has gone backwards at a huge rate of knots in the last two decades. This is when the ARL had 'heaps' of cash apparently. They've done nothing at a time when league has a massive profile.

Mate im not disagreeing with you.

But they have money sitting there - it needs to be generate money - giving out grants arent going to achieve anything.
Then selling Carlaw park would be for nothing - which would be pretty sad.

Im sure they dont have enough money to do everything.

They need to upskill clubs and club members.
Get as many smart, connected and passionate people on club comittee and lobby local govt for more support etc.

You cant side step the fact clubs - need to change out they make money.
Back in the day you use to have nightclubs at the club almost - over the bar. Most clubs lose money running bars these days or make chump change.

Most clubs (read nearly nobody) dont have the facilities to even charge people to come to games.

ARL might be able to buy one ground like Mt Smart no 2. somehwere in auckland.
Like a new Carlaw Park and charge people to come but that money would go to them not the club.

Clubs need to change the way - all sports organisation need to help them do that - ARL, NZRL and Sports Auckland etc (whatever they are called).

Like I was trying to say before - all sports organisation have a massive need to increase school participation and in general participation.
They get funding based on doing that.

They arent there 100% just for the clubs imo.

True. No disagreements there. But the schools participation should be organised at national level, I would have thought. And I wasn't thinking ARL should buy another Carlaw Park, the ability to maintain the current venues would be good.

Last edited:
True. No disagreements there. But the schools participation should be organised at national level, I would have thought.

Nah - everybody has do it.
But clubs are a masive part of rugby league - we all agree there.However they arent 100% of the game.

Primary school tournaments, high school etc.

There are players, referees, schools, fans, coaches etc - while sometimes they fall under clubs - other times they have a different focus/persepective.

example:
Like some club will be happy that they get thousands of dollars if their junior gets picked
However the kids wont be happy - as all it is is a barrier for them to get picked up

However that said - there doesnt have to one or another.
If they are run well - they can do both and finance both.

Clubs should get up in arms etc - like I said there arguements are going to hold up unless they are well constrcuted.

True. No disagreements there. But the schools participation should be organised at national level, I would have thought. And I wasn't thinking ARL should buy another Carlaw Park, the ability to maintain the current venues would be good.

Yeah but they probably should to house rep games, big games.
It also might generate money for them - to carry out development, coaching etc when money dries up.

There are no current venues - no club I know actually own the fields and club room they play on.
Any body know???

Its all reliant on council.

Primary school tournaments, high school etc.

No, you've lost me with most of that. Never mind :). A high school or primary school comp should be left to the school. At that level, it would then become a curriculum thing involving government. Comps for school aged competitors - would still involve the clubs but I think that's what you were meaning anyway[DOUBLEPOST=1381994588][/DOUBLEPOST]
It also might generate money for them - to carry out development, coaching etc when money dries up.

There are no current venues - no club I know actually own the fields and club room they play on.
Any body know???

Probably can refer back to Buck777's post for that one.

That would be the NZRL. The national comp has its final soon and they're using Mt Smart, I wonder what they'll do if/when the Warriors move?

No, you've lost me with most of that. Never mind :). A high school or primary school comp should be left to the school. At that level, it would then become a curriculum thing involving government. Comps for school aged competitors - would still involve the clubs but I think that's what you were meaning anyway[DOUBLEPOST=1381994588][/DOUBLEPOST]

Probably can refer back to Buck777's post for that one.

No ARL or Wellington Rugby or whatever the Waikato RL it will be part of their duty to run all schools competitons.
They will receive funding for their staff - to make sure they do that.

However I think ARL and similar can do more to make club junior league more presitgous too.

No ARL or Wellington Rugby or whatever the Waikato RL it will be part of their duty to run all schools competitons.
They will receive funding for their staff - to make sure they do that.

However I think ARL and similar can do more to make club junior league more presitgous too.

True! Like the Rugby World Cup? NZRL need to get that one going I think and involve the education department dare I say. ARL will have to work with them. And there in lies one of the issues for rugby league - recognising life beyond the Bombay Hills

Reactions: Sup42

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
There are no current venues - no club I know actually own the fields and club room they play on. Any body know???
No. None. Only one union club owns their grounds as well. All Council.

Great post and appreciate the insight mate. I have heard as much about the ARL from different sources.

That person who stole money may have been the same person who did it at Otahuhu and another club that I cant remember. Was the Treasurer at the club and ARL covered his ass and didnt even press charges.

Ive banged on about the state of the ARL for long enough. Nothing will change...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Who was the guy on radio sport the other day running for chairman? Saying basically what has been said on here, no transparency, old boys network, no support for clubs etc.
I really dont want to rehash statements Ive already made but the ARL is a textbook example of an old boys network. Vote in the bros to positions they have no skill in. Even the office ladies are generally wives or sisters of the boys...

Reactions: ramraider78
No. None. Only one union club owns their grounds as well. All Council.

Great post and appreciate the insight mate. I have heard as much about the ARL from different sources.

That person who stole money may have been the same person who did it at Otahuhu and another club that I cant remember. Was the Treasurer at the club and ARL covered his ass and didnt even press charges.
Ive banged on about the state of the ARL for long enough. Nothing will change...

Yeah but most rugby clubs have good facilities and club rooms.
I honestly had nothing to do with rugby clubs at all lol - but Papakura Rugby run Massey Park in Papakura - that is what the ARL need.
Admore run Bruce Pulman Park. Pakuranga have good club rooms.

I dont think ARL should be paying for lights for grounds - more helping clubs raise moneys through avenues to pay for them.
32 clubs - if they started paying for stuff like they would be just as broke as the club

Yeah ive heard about the thief - the doctor they call him - heard is intelligent but crazy.
He nearly made Otahuhu go under and same with Papakura Marae.
And got done for P.

He was the doctor for Papakura when they were good.
Players were getting on ACC but were still playing Fox etc lol

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10347447

https://www.nzdoctor.co.nz/news/2007/april-2007/16/rhys-cullen-faces-charges-related-to-p.aspx

Buck777

Mate im not disagreeing with you.

But they have money sitting there - it needs to be generate money - giving out grants arent going to achieve anything.
Then selling Carlaw park would be for nothing - which would be pretty sad.

Im sure they dont have enough money to do everything..

Yep your probably right. We pontificate ( myself included) how Union is elitist and an ol boys network yet we're not much different at admin level.

I get depressed just thinking about it

Sad thing is we have a generation of Benji's and Shaun Johnson's being effected by this crowd, at a time when skill set at junior levels is at an all time high - way more skilful than when I was a young fella....and it's going to waste as they play soccer and union with our only hope they get seen at 1st XV level and get convinced to switch.

Anyway, don't know why I say this as it won't make a squat load of difference

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Yep your probably right. We pontificate ( myself included) how Union is elitist and an ol boys network yet we're not much different at admin level.

I get depressed just thinking about it

Sad thing is we have a generation of Benji's and Shaun Johnson's being effected by this crowd, at a time when skill set at junior levels is at an all time high - way more skilful than when I was a young fella....and it's going to waste as they play soccer and union with our only hope they get seen at 1st XV level and get convinced to switch.

Anyway, don't know why I say this as it won't make a squat load of difference

Don't worry Soccer administration is no different, no sports code is at amateur level. The old boys network is a good way for untalented people to get into positions that they cant handle and screw over other people with actual talent, I mean how good is that, you get to put the boot in and all the time sit in the big chair while polishing your halo. There are a few passionate people with talent in sports admin. And now that there are actual degrees in sport admin, were beginning to capture the young while still idealistic and passionate, because it is these and those passionate parents supporting their children that will make the good things happen, just because they wont accept defeat.

Lighting for grounds is something only the council can do. begin the fight in your club, get them to stand up and be recognised as SA said, get the MP down for a training session, invite the council, get the media down to show what's real, world cup happening no better time to make a statement. although daylight savings might have stuffed things a bit by now.

Who was the guy on radio sport the other day running for chairman? Saying basically what has been said on here, no transparency, old boys network, no support for clubs etc.
Dene biddlecombe, he's travelling the clubs laying out what he see's for the future of ARL - heard he spoke with hawks last night, don't know what happened; McGregor is doing the same with his slide show presentation - speaks with us next week.[DOUBLEPOST=1382051156][/DOUBLEPOST]
I really dont want to rehash statements Ive already made but the ARL is a textbook example of an old boys network. Vote in the bros to positions they have no skill in. Even the office ladies are generally wives or sisters of the boys...
Like the otahuhu guy on the board of directors lol jokes toko.

Any body know???

Your right about the grounds , most clubs have sold off there fields but there's a few that still own there club rooms, otahuhu,hawks, and Mt Albert are ones I know about.

We sign a participation agreement every year with council about the use of the grounds and the things they have to provide - though we don't pay to use the fields, central clubs i hear have to pay every season?

The local board for your area pay's for lighting at parks, we are getting it done for one of our satellite parks we have under our control during the season - been signed of for 2014.

Reactions: slaughterhouse.sa