General Warriors officially take over Vulcans

I wonder if this could be used to say, re-sign Ropati on a Reserve Grade contract (presumably exempt from NRL SC) and allow us to call him up to First Grade on Salary Cap match payments if he's fit and we get hit by injuries. As an example.

Because of long service doesn't Ropati get veteran relief with the cap like Manu?. I don't know what the actual benefits are, but it could be smart to give Ropati a new contract because of it. Let alone his experience as a long serving NRL player and an international.

Reactions: Mr Frank White
Because of long service doesn't Ropati get veteran relief with the cap like Manu?. I don't know what the actual benefits are, but it could be smart to give Ropati a new contract because of it. Let alone his experience as a long serving NRL player and an international.
Isn't it $100,000 per player? I would sign Ropo for that and no more. Otherwise, let him go. I don't think anyone with his limited gametime over the past 3 years should scoff at a guaranteed $100K for one last year when he is clearly at the end of his sporting career. He will pick up a league show hosting job with Sky or maybe TV3 probably once he retires, so he has a back up plan.

Inruin

Contributor
get them playing in the same strip as first grade, try and make it a unified club instead of the first grade v vulcans v u20's. You are playing for the Warriors, whether that is Junior Warriors, Warriors reserves or Warriors first grade.

Reactions: koolkat and Maraea
I wonder if this could be used to say, re-sign Ropati on a Reserve Grade contract (presumably exempt from NRL SC) and allow us to call him up to First Grade on Salary Cap match payments if he's fit and we get hit by injuries. As an example.

I'd hope that this kind of arrangement can be done (completely unaware of payment rules regarding NSW Cup players etc but..). Even if all he does is play Vulcans, he's exactly (and yes, I know the man has his faults) the kind of player that stars from the U20s need to play alongside/play against before being giving a boarding ticket to the NRL. Obviously there's questions about the player's mental desire and physical capability, but the dream for me is players announcing their retirement from the NRL/ESL not from rugby league entirely, going on to play at NSW Cup level, letting the new boys know that here's how it is coming up against a 100+ NRL game veteran etc. Which may or may not lead to offering ex-players contracts as player/coaches, player/trainers etc.

It always interested me, looking at the NSW Cup teams for any given week: There'd be several names you'd go "Oh, yeah, this guy's coming back from injury, that guy's waiting for Slater/Barba to get injured but he's played a bit of NRL...That guy! Wasn't he first choice hooker two years ago at the Tigers, must have fallen down the pecking order, maybe looking for a shot somewhere else"... The Vulcans didn't really have that as much as I'd have liked.

This announcement is just another step in aligning the three levels. No complaints from me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hitman82

Inruin

Contributor
Sounds like someone wants to save bucks on jerseys. This is NOT the way of the Warrior :greedy:
oh no, don't get me wrong, we can stll have a jersey for each round, just worn by every squad for that round. so, all up, maybe 24 different strips. :woot:[DOUBLEPOST=1381913457][/DOUBLEPOST]
Mt Wellington will still need to buy heaps of jerseys each year, though. He will have to get the NRL logo one, the NSW Cup logo one and the U20s logo. Won't save him a cent, so they may as well be totally different, for his sake.
ohhh and with the different badges! so 24 x 3 = 72 new jerseys for Mt Wellington

Can you say KACHING!?!

Warriors fan struck down with sunstroke. This afternoon a Warriors fan had to be treated for sunstroke by St John's staff. It was noted the fan was wearing every jersey the Warriors have ever produced - which is roughly in the 20s at this stage - and as he was lead away he was heard to say "Mt Wellington!" Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah was seen in the ambulance with this fan with what appeared to a merchandise order form and a portable EFTPOS terminal.

In unrelated news - maybe - the Mt Smart Joker has been released from all further media duties with the Warriors. Wayne Scurrah was overheard as confronting the fan by saying "You don't have every damn jersey, do ya! So you're OUT!!"

Reactions: Hitman82 and Sup42
It seems a cleaner more streamlined way to do things. No third Parties or partners.

They want things uniform from top to bottom they have to take absolute control.

The Warriors have proved time and again that they lack effective coaching leadership top to bottom since Cleary and Hart went. I didn't like Cleary / his ideas but we've since had it pointed out that Akland was doing his own thing ( effectively at his level / for his purpose ).

Willy Swan kindly filled in outside of his day job this year....

No wonder the club went to it's lowest ebb these last two seasons , the Ceo is out of his depth.

What the hell were these people thinking before Elliot came along....

thinking small.

No wonder the club went to it's lowest ebb these last two seasons , the Ceo is out of his depth.

thinking small.

To be honest. As good as a directorship as ME has over seen. It's probably been Owen's influence more than anything. Like those dumb as law students whose money and privilege has gained them degrees. If we keep pumping the money we'll eventually catch up. It will take years though. Recruitment will be our last bastion. Look at those 6 Manly depth signings recently. 6 quality names that we can't compete with. Other than to develop our own. That's where we've taken the short cut. Just popping them in first grade expecting the talent to shine. When it takes special development to gain readiness. Working the basics is the biggest and toughest task. Simple calls like defending in the right position. Making the right decisions. In attack and defence. Especially under pressure. Hey whether we get there or not. Got to admire the club for trying. Took balls to chase Tomkins. And got him. Right noises so far.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maraea and Sup42
To be honest. As good as a directorship as ME has been. It's probably been Owen's influence more than anything. Like those dumb ass law students whose money and privilege has gained them degrees. If we keep pumping the money we'll eventually catch up. It will take years though. Recruitment will be our last bastion. Look at those 6 Manly depth signings recently. 6 quality names that we can't compete with. Other than to develop our own. That's where we've taken the short cut. Just popping them in first grade expecting the talent to shine. When it takes special development to gain readiness. Working the basics is the biggest and toughest task. Simple calls like defending in the right position. Making the right decisions. In attack and defence. Especially under pressure. Hey whether we get there or not. Got to admire the club for trying. Took balls to chase Tomkins. And got him. Right noises so far.
Yeah it must be a steep learning curve for Owen though , I mean that in a good way , he's bitten off a mouth full with this club. We really did go to the dogs badly these last couple of seasons.
In the Tomkins mania we've lost sight of a couple of hurdles to overcome , wating on Bukuya will mean we're effectively three forwards down before a ball is kicked.

How they Manage young Baldwin and Tonks will be a big tester for a new and exciting avenue for the club. How Jones goes coaching the Under 20's , what happens with Townsend after the flop that was Harry Seijka.

They want one more gnarly old center in the mix too , in other words they're putting the likes of hurrell and Laumape / our two most promising Juniors on the longer development path.

I get the feeling with the Warriors going for Carmont preseason 2013 and Ropo / Neilson , that we'll see Locals play a lot of NSW cup before they get shots at the top side , especially backs.

Promoting an Older NSW cup player ( Matangi ) might be more evidence of a move away from youth and potential.

I think we're going to see an older Warriors FG team to counter the inexperience overload we've had. I think that will be the biggest test of fans patience in the coming years when the next Hurrell or Laumape comes along.

It would do well for the Vulcans to be a highly competitive squad with the early promotion of Juniors and the slower step up to fg causing a log jam. Interesting times ahead.

Elliot is fond of saying that all but a few top level first graders in the NRL bounced in and out of reserve grade in their development , something the Warriors just haven't afforded themselves the mindset to be able to do it in the past.

I agree with your with a lot of what you are saying and I have a pretty good idea of the situation.

As for the College Comp - it's a no brainer and to me there was some major successes there - it was on tv, regular coverage and improved quality.
Whether the clubs are happy about everything? Im sure ARL can always finance it better.
- Im sure I read the Warriors were the major sponsor - which means they would of gave significant money and/or contra etc.

I totally agree the Clubs need to exercise their power and be smarter how they do that. That means hold people more accountable that might mean change at ARL level.
People there have been there for like 20 years lol.

However in saying that ARL have to do whats right by the game and grow the game - I am sure they get funding from SPort NZ not just Carlaw Park.
Therefore growing school league is something they have to do. Clubs have to understand that.

As for clubs - including your club if they are losing money - with ARL's help they need to look the club model. Money given out in grants - would often be mispent and wasted by clubs - or at the very least the money wont be sustainable.
Clubs need to start charging more money for fees etc[DOUBLEPOST=1381899522][/DOUBLEPOST]

They can be signed ...it doesnt matter.
They only affect the 2nd tier Salary cap if they play NRL.

They could sign a whole lot of fringe NRL players - play them in NSW Cup and leave a little in 2nd tier salary cap and just promote a player who is in form.

Thats how I understand it anyway.
We've embraced the schools comp, to attract new players as a club but 100k put into the Warriors cup without clubs consultation raises questions because for 7 years ARL have not released the full financials for the Vulcans team - the amount of money spent on the team has been rumored to have been huge. They need to have a long term plan for financing the comp because schools don't pay affiliation fees to ARL, struggling local clubs do. That 100k can't be wages because ARL get grants from trusts to pay wages, figures are released in the papers the other week.

ARL have taken the subsidies away from the clubs this year that has helped in the past but taking those away what do you get? The rep player subsidy was a big one for us because of the high number ARL age group reps we have every year.

I'm just advocating more transparency in the financials from ARL. A lot of local league clubs are scared to vote against Mcgregor because they don't want to get nothing from ARL - it happens, certain clubs get looked after because of relationships they have with management e.g. Manurewa, Glenora, Otahuhu; Hawks get nothing anyway, and recently just labelled trouble makers. That ARL chairman's job is similar to Zimbabwe's leader , he always get's back in every time - 14 years as the chairman is a longtime to go unopposed in a democracy??? is it?? The next vote is 2016 if he get's back in. First time I remember candidates are travelling the clubs addressing committees for there vote lol The timing for this media release coincides with the Chairman's vote and a opposition candidate has come out against him - clubs are struggling to stay afloat financially - selling off there own club assets when there's millions in ARL assets apparently, staff trips to the RL world cup, corporate boxes at the Warriors, player sports management conflicts of interest and the list probably goes on. These are things that been brought to light by a rich Auckland club who don't need the money but want to see something more transparent and a bit of accountability.

Come on Slaughter your from South Auckland so you know the financial situation for families. Mangere East won't raise the fees and burden that financial pressure on families, I know of at least a dozen PI families at our club that there is 3 or 4 or 5 brothers playing in different grades. We fielded 41 teams this year, if we we raised the fees we would lose at least 10 - 15 teams IMO fees is one thing, boots,mouth guard, socks, shorts is just the start of cost's. Share the money around IMO there's another dozen clubs out there that can't afford to raise fees when they are struggling themselves.

How about this.. We know CCC will be making new jerseys for the NSW Cup side because $$
So they should make that side have jerseys similar to the 95 heritage jersey with the blue green red and white.
And call the team the Auckland Warriors!
Thats kicking it old school.. keeping the CCC team happy.. keeping the Warriors brand across 3 teams.. appeases the fans who cry out for the original jersey when it comes to heritage round. And it makes sense for an AKL team to be a feeder for the NZ Warriors

It seems a cleaner more streamlined way to do things. No third Parties or partners.

They want things uniform from top to bottom they have to take absolute control.

The Warriors have proved time and again that they lack effective coaching leadership top to bottom since Cleary and Hart went. I didn't like Cleary / his ideas but we've since had it pointed out that Akland was doing his own thing ( effectively at his level / for his purpose ).

Willy Swan kindly filled in outside of his day job this year....

thinking small.

Since cleary left...they probably never had it.

Mate im sure they have thought about for years .... its the cost you would think
Otherwise every NRL team would do that.

Storm cant even afford to have a reserve grade team.

However either the NRL have come to the party in funding or Warriors have the cash

Reactions: Sup42
Since cleary left...they probably never had it.

Mate im sure they have thought about for years .... its the cost you would think
Otherwise every NRL team would do that.

Storm cant even afford to have a reserve grade team.

However either the NRL have come to the party in funding or Warriors have the cash

Least the NRL could do. Help finance the Vulcans. Huge AFL signing in Sydney last week. Buddy Franklin superstar AFL player signed for the Swans. And it was revealed the Sydney Swans had a living allowance bonus in the salary cap. Around 10%. And immediately i was thinking surely the Warriors deserve some sort of exemption. Even a travel allowance/exemption would be great. We add enormous value to the comp as a whole by bringing SKY NZ to the table in extra millions regarding TV rights.

Reactions: Sup42 and Hitman82
Least the NRL could do. Help finance the Vulcans. Huge AFL signing in Sydney last week. Buddy Franklin superstar AFL player signed for the Swans. And it was revealed the Sydney Swans had a living allowance bonus in the salary cap. Around 10%. And immediately i was thinking surely the Warriors deserve some sort of exemption. Even a travel allowance/exemption would be great. We add enormous value to the comp as a whole by bringing SKY NZ to the table in extra millions regarding TV rights.

Neil Henry said something similar about the Cowboys, and I think he also mentioned the Warriors as being disadvantaged by travel, bit different for AFL as close to the Swans are GWS and Brisbane. You do have the Western teams and Adelaide though.

We've embraced the schools comp, to attract new players as a club but 100k put into the Warriors cup without clubs consultation raises questions because for 7 years ARL have not released the full financials for the Vulcans team - the amount of money spent on the team has been rumored to have been huge. They need to have a long term plan for financing the comp because schools don't pay affiliation fees to ARL, struggling local clubs do. That 100k can't be wages because ARL get grants from trusts to pay wages, figures are released in the papers the other week.

ARL have taken the subsidies away from the clubs this year that has helped in the past but taking those away what do you get? The rep player subsidy was a big one for us because of the high number ARL age group reps we have every year.

I'm just advocating more transparency in the financials from ARL. A lot of local league clubs are scared to vote against Mcgregor because they don't want to get nothing from ARL - it happens, certain clubs get looked after because of relationships they have with management e.g. Manurewa, Glenora, Otahuhu; Hawks get nothing anyway, and recently just labelled trouble makers. That ARL chairman's job is similar to Zimbabwe's leader , he always get's back in every time - 14 years as the chairman is a longtime to go unopposed in a democracy??? is it?? The next vote is 2016 if he get's back in. First time I remember candidates are travelling the clubs addressing committees for there vote lol The timing for this media release coincides with the Chairman's vote and a opposition candidate has come out against him - clubs are struggling to stay afloat financially - selling off there own club assets when there's millions in ARL assets apparently, staff trips to the RL world cup, corporate boxes at the Warriors, player sports management conflicts of interest and the list probably goes on. These are things that been brought to light by a rich Auckland club who don't need the money but want to see something more transparent and a bit of accountability.

Come on Slaughter your from South Auckland so you know the financial situation for families. Mangere East won't raise the fees and burden that financial pressure on families, I know of at least a dozen PI families at our club that there is 3 or 4 or 5 brothers playing in different grades. We fielded 41 teams this year, if we we raised the fees we would lose at least 10 - 15 teams IMO fees is one thing, boots,mouth guard, socks, shorts is just the start of cost's. Share the money around IMO there's another dozen clubs out there that can't afford to raise fees when they are struggling themselves.

I agree with what your are saying....was just playing devils advocate.
Asking the hard questions.

Because if the clubs do want to change they need to prepare a really well balanced arguement to really create change.
Often people who run spors have the gift of the gab and know the rules and by laws etc re: governance.

I agree re: ARL regardless how you view their reign and I have similar concerns as do most local league fans without their head in the sand.
A change will be for the good - what business has people in there for that long.

Also agree the RL community is so close which makes it hard, ARL have plenty of people with influence over key clubs.

However change only happens when Chariman and Board are switched on enough to work together and standup etc.

The clubs needs to raise the registration fees per player.

Rugby League is by far the cheapest sport to play IMO.
If you share money around ...all it does is get spent hence my point around the need to sustainability amongst clubs.
This is something clubs need to come to grips with or they wont survive - that is not ARLs fault just a commercial reality.

Yeah but a succesfull club is not about numbers....some clubs will need smaller numbers imo.

ARL have all this money and have been keeping costs down for clubs (regardless of other money spending).
That creates a false economy....when the money runs out club find out they are non sustainable.

RL World cup - sounds like NZRL back in the day sending over board members etc. lol
so agree with accountability ...but clubs will soon realise they will need to have a look in the mirror as well.