General Warriors NRL Touch Premiership 2019

Reaction score
davewjnz

davewjnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Played the 03 World Cup in Japan (Benji was playing for the Aussie Mixed team then and made his NRL debut that year) and 07 in South Africa.

Old boy now so play Masters and do a bit of coaching. Seen quite a few of the Touch boys get invited to various NRL clubs trials. Quite a few Aussie's come from Touch backgrounds - Matt Moylan, Matt Dufty, Bevan French, then of course there's SJ (who ripped a BOP team i was coaching apart - couldnt believe when i saw him next year how much beef he had put on when the Warriors picked him up, he was such a skinny whippet), Te Maire Martin another.....a lot of them running around in Jersey Flegg and u/20s. And i know at Nationals there was always the odd scout floating around.
So you would have played in the opens squads at those world cups aye? Good stuff!
I was in the lot before you 97 Gold Coast WC, not opens though...
But reason I bought it up was because, fucking Aussies are damn good at that game without doing all the fancy stuff.
That was the big lesson I learnt playing against or watching their team(s)

Do you recall the Kiwi' try vs Aussies where dude outside Benji bounced out to the sideline. Benji throws (after a dummy) the ball to the gap with SKD running in off the wing to the gap, catches ball and scores. Benji's pass to SKD was forward but they let it go lol - Aussie Touch move!
When they did that move I was like hey! wtf! Against the aussie's too...

Gonna be interesting times to see how touch runs....

Reaction score

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So you would have played in the opens squads at those world cups aye? Good stuff!
But reason I bought it up was because, fucking Aussies are damn good at that game without doing all the fancy stuff.

Do you recall the Kiwi' try vs Aussies where dude outside Benji bounced out to the sideline. Benji throws (after a dummy) the ball to the gap with SKD running in off the wing to the gap, catches ball and scores. Benji's pass to SKD was forward but they let it go lol - Aussie Touch move!

Yeah bro Oz have never had the hot steppers or the fancy flick passers like us, their just damn relentless, play at light speed, and everyone is on the same page and know their role's to perfection. Used to love playing them, it was such a challenge, there's only 6 on a field but it always felt like 100 of them running at you, players in motion everywhere, they use the ball so well (u couldn't just hide on the wing), and typical aussies - so bloody loud!

I remember that SKD try too. Tim Sheens became well known for his set moves at the Tigers, but most of them came from Benji...especially set from the scrum...i'd be watching them and suddenly it's be "shit!....they just did a bounce with a late!" lol

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
IMG_9277.JPG

Bit of a shame our first game coincides with the touch World Cup finals so not sure how that'll pan out.

Reaction score
davewjnz

davewjnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Just found the game regarding the try I mentioned. (Kiwis first try Kenny-Dowl)
Was the 2010 4 nations final against Australia, one of our classic wins!

Reaction score

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Just found the game regarding the try I mentioned. (Kiwis first try Kenny-Dowl)
Was the 2010 4 nations final against Australia, one of our classic wins!

Great example of how a player working off the ball can manipulate the defence with that Kenny Dowell try. Bronson Harrison I think is the guy who does the fake bounce. Watch his defender follow him, opens up just enough of a hole that SKD burst into. Great timing all round. That had Benji's fingerprints all over it.

Given the Warriors reliance on SJ and 2nd man plays on attack, we're definitely going to have look at changing it up and finding other ways of creating opportunities. I'd love to see some more set plays involving Roger this year.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I was at that game and will never forget it.
There was a big group of drunk Aussie guys right behind us giving it to us all game- every time they scored one in particular would start yelling "now the flood gates will open- here come the flood gates blah blah blah".
When fein scored the match winner we erupted and I turned to that guy- stuck my finger in his face and said "where's your fucking floodgates now pal" haha :finger:

Reaction score
Akkerz

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Was at the game too. Awesome it was. The bus back into town after the game was full of Kiwis and the bus driver got all shitty & disrespectful coz he was the only Aussie. Ran into Awen Guttenbeil in the hotel foyer and he was super amped too (in a good way).
One of my best Kiwi league memories ever.

Now where are my bloody tickets for the All Stars match Seemed like a good idea for a holiday & I've promised the old girl a shopping trip so they better turn up soon.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Has the draw been released yet???

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
First ever game today- its on tv at 10:00 in oz- unfortunately we'll be missing a lot of players with the World Cup running at the moment in Malaysia but it'll be a great experience for the guys/ girls who are taking their place.
Good luck warriors.

Top Bottom