General Warriors need to study Penrith ...now

BigD_old

Why I am stating this, is because Penrith are our Boggey Team.

Similar, to how the Cronulla Sharks are a Boggey Team to the EEls...

Penrith are playing out of their Skin at the moment as seen against their victory over the Bulldogs tonight.

I have been told in the past, by a few players associated with the Warriors.. That they play
ONE Game at a Time.... thats good..

But in past Semi Finals as the years have gone past sice 2002. One team in Particular has played havoc with the Warriors when reaching the Semis.....

And that team has been Penrith.....

I would be as a Tactician for the Warriors, be keeping a close eye on the Panthers..

As the way things are currently going...The Warriors could well face them in a semi come finals time....

mrblonde_old

Good point, Big D!

When we lost to Penrith 5 rounds ago, I wondered just how bad that lost truly was given that I believed then and certainly believe now, after seeing what they did to the Bulldogs (even given that the Bulldogs were damn ordinary tonight and, to be frank, have been so far in 2010) that they are a potential Top 4 side.

The other team that has given me the heebie-jeebies for several years has been St George Illawarra...

In terms of Warriors bogey teams, the Panthers and the Dragons fit that category right now although it comes and goes - 3 years ago I would have said Melbourne were a bogey side but even though they beat us 3 rounds ago I don't think that bogey holds true anymore. And in a year or two we might have the measure of the Dragons but not be any good against Manly, for example...

But I agree with you that Penrith will be a finals contender this year.

Viking_old

I would've said Souths were our bogey team, we lose to them when they're languishing at the foot of the ladder and beat them when they're flogging other teams.

a.c.e_old

The other team that has given me the heebie-jeebies for several years has been St George Illawarra...

Same here St George has had the wood over us for some time. Souths have had us in the pocket for the last 2yrs and that was broken on the weekend.

sebastian_old

St George Ilawarra is the team I most dread when the draws read out, even more than Melbourne. We've beaten St George Ilawarra 32-18 at home in 1999, 30-20 at OKI Jubilee Stadium in 2003 & 44-16 at home in 2007. So we've only beaten St George Ilawarra 3 times, is that officially our worst record against a NRL club?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

We've actually beaten them 4 times, (we won at home in 2001), but lost 11 times, so our winning percentage against them is an embarrassing 26.7%.

Our worst records ever were against St George (before the merge) and the North Sydney Bears, with a 25% winning ratio against them both.

The next worst is shared by the Gold Coast Titans and the now defunct Adelaide Rams, with a 33% winning percentage.

Our best records are against the South Queensland Crushers (100%), the Northern Eagles (83.3%), and the South Sydney Rabbitohs (71.4%).

Of currently existing teams, we only have a more than 50% win ratio against the Rabbitohs (71.4%), the Wests Tigers (56.3%), the Sydney Roosters (56.0%), and the North Queensland Cowboys (51.9%).

daj3_old

Of late though, I would say the Rabbitohs are our bogey team, in the true sense of the word... i.e.

we lose to them when they're languishing at the foot of the ladder and beat them when they're flogging other teams.

I wouldn't call St George a bogey-team, just... a better team, I guess.

Gundog_old

What ever happened to that Wade Graham? that mean number 6 they used to have? He would be a mean signing, good young player.

Better 6 prospect than Moon IMO

ToiletDuck_old

Lego Man is a fan of Wade Graham, he'd pick him up. However we have a 6? And...failing him, aren't we all thinking that Seymour Butts is going to eventually shift to 6 when Johnson becomes our 7? Another young 6 isn't reaaally on the cards..

Gundog_old

True but Seymour could play 9 too, doesn't hurt to have more playmakers seeing how it takes kiwi based players 3-4 years to really become stars.
Really can't see Johnson playing regular NRL until 2012 he just looks so soft to me although I love his skills.

Graham looks to be that playmaker 6 from back in the old days that gets the backline running and could put away a flying Locke (Playing fullback) or get Manu one on one with an opposition player.

Iafeta_old

Why I am stating this, is because Penrith are our Boggey Team.

Similar, to how the Cronulla Sharks are a Boggey Team to the EEls...

Penrith are playing out of their Skin at the moment as seen against their victory over the Bulldogs tonight.

I have been told in the past, by a few players associated with the Warriors.. That they play
ONE Game at a Time.... thats good..

But in past Semi Finals as the years have gone past sice 2002. One team in Particular has played havoc with the Warriors when reaching the Semis.....

And that team has been Penrith.....

I would be as a Tactician for the Warriors, be keeping a close eye on the Panthers..

As the way things are currently going...The Warriors could well face them in a semi come finals time....

We've only played them once, haven't we? 2003... and I don't think they destroyed us through tactics. I actually thought we bombed the game. Vinnie Anderson dropped the ball when he was over the line, and Toopi or Webb dropped it with an open line dead ahead. That was basically the only difference.

I'm just trying to work that out, 2001 we were beaten by Parramatta convincingly, 2002 we got to the Grand Final losing to the Roosters, 2003 we were one short beaten by Penrith, 2007 we were beaten in straight sets by Parra and North Queensland, 2008 we beat Melbourne and the Roosters before losing to Manly. If anything, Parra seems to be our danger team.