Social TV

While i enjoyed this series immensely and agree it's probably already reached the status of perhaps the most iconic TV series of all time, whenever watching the "Battle of Winterfell" episode while satisfying for the climactic drama the previous seasons had all geared up for. The episode just leaves me frustrated with the inane tactics they used dealing with the Army of the Dead.

Why you would send your entire cavalry into the dark against vastly superior numbers just to get decimated is crazy. They had 2 dragons capable of inflicting mass destruction on the Winter Kings army (i know he had one also but one of the dragons couldve been riding shotgun while the other burnt up the ranks without having to risk a single soldier). Also why just make one trench? Make a series of trenches with archers further thining out their numbers then falling back as each trench is breached. Open battle should have been a thing avoided until the last possible instant where numbers may have been more favourable.

Give stratagem for best chance of success for this battle from both armies' point of view.
You've pointed out some valid criticisms regarding the "Battle of Winterfell" episode. The tactical decisions made by the defenders of Winterfell were indeed questionable and have been widely debated among fans and military strategists alike.

If I were to provide a game plan addressing these concerns, this might be what an optimized strategy for both sides could look like:

For Winterfell's side:
1. Use the Dragons more Strategically: Instead of sending them into the thick of battle right off the bat, they could have been held back initially, then deployed to mop up the enemy forces after they were engaged with the ground troops.
2. Layered Defense: Instead of creating just one trench, several could have been laid out to slow the Night King's army's advance progressively.
3. Position of Cavalry: The Dothraki were exceptionally swift and brutal fighters. They could have been used for quick strikes, hit-and-run tactics on the flanks of the enemy instead of a frontal charge into the unknown.
4. Fortifying Winterfell: Ensuring the castle itself is heavily fortified and rigged with dragon glass booby traps could have inflicted heavy damage.

On the Night King's side,
1. Optimize Use of Wights: He could have sent a fraction of his army first, forcing Winterfell to reveal their tactics, and then adjusted to suit. He had an almost endless supply of fighters; no need to send them all at once.
2. Better Utilization of the White Walker Lieutenants: We see them standing back for most of the battle. They could have been engaged to significant effect.
3. Dragon Battle: Instead of an aerial battle, the Night King could have targeted those on the ground, or the walls of Winterfell.

Remember though, "Game of Thrones" is a high-fantasy series that thrives on surprising and shocking its viewers, often prioritizing dramatic effect over practicality or strategic consistency. While your points are valid from a tactical standpoint, the drama and sheer spectacle of the battle scenes often take precedence in fantasy storytelling and definitely added to the edge-of-the-seat experience that "The Battle of Winterfell" was aiming to create.

Another series which imo i find even more enjoyable than GOT and currently re-watching is Spartacus.

Loved the character development and how the storylines progressed. By the time they got to the final War of the Damned series they had got over the random gore and sex scenes for their own sake and the drama and action made it an enthralling watch. The fact they also didnt drag the thing out and was done in 3 seasons gave more of a fast pace feel than GOT.

Not bad for a Kiwi made series at all.

I see they've recently announced a spin off series as well to be under production here again - The House of Ashur. Following Ashur (who was such a great protagonist brilliantly acted from series 1 and 2) with an alternative storyline if he hadnt been killed by Spartacus and in fact taken over the House of Batiatus with the training of gladiators.......one ill be keeping an eye out for.

While i enjoyed this series immensely and agree it's probably already reached the status of perhaps the most iconic TV series of all time, whenever watching the "Battle of Winterfell" episode while satisfying for the climactic drama the previous seasons had all geared up for. The episode just leaves me frustrated with the inane tactics they used dealing with the Army of the Dead.

Why you would send your entire cavalry into the dark against vastly superior numbers just to get decimated is crazy. They had 2 dragons capable of inflicting mass destruction on the Winter Kings army (i know he had one also but one of the dragons couldve been riding shotgun while the other burnt up the ranks without having to risk a single soldier). Also why just make one trench? Make a series of trenches with archers further thining out their numbers then falling back as each trench is breached. Open battle should have been a thing avoided until the last possible instant where numbers may have been more favourable.

Give stratagem for best chance of success for this battle from both armies' point of view.
I've seen a view breakdowns on the battle of Winterfell and how the tactics didn't make sense. It is a good indication of the failings they had in later season. In that there was less attention to detail and everything was rushed.

They could have spread the last two seasons out easily. A season to beat the Night King than a season to sort out the battle for the Iron Throne. Instead we had a few seasons where the travel made the series seem vast as people were so spread out. Last season it is like they have invented modern travel with how they are moving around to different people/places.

Have you watched House of the Dragon?
I took a few episodes to get into it as being worn out by the end of GOT. But once I got into it, the show is building.

On tactic and battles there is a scene near the end where Daemon mentions the home work he has done on the number of dragons and dragon riders they have compared to the other side. We have X dragons and X dragon riders we out number them. Points to the map. We move our dragons here we will have their heads on a pike in about a week.

Another series which imo i find even more enjoyable than GOT and currently re-watching is Spartacus.

Loved the character development and how the storylines progressed. By the time they got to the final War of the Damned series they had got over the random gore and sex scenes for their own sake and the drama and action made it an enthralling watch. The fact they also didnt drag the thing out and was done in 3 seasons gave more of a fast pace feel than GOT.

Not bad for a Kiwi made series at all.

I see they've recently announced a spin off series as well to be under production here again - The House of Ashur. Following Ashur (who was such a great protagonist brilliantly acted from series 1 and 2) with an alternative storyline if he hadnt been killed by Spartacus and in fact taken over the House of Batiatus with the training of gladiators.......one ill be keeping an eye out for.
I've gone back to watch a few series again. Some it is good as you pick up some small items you didn't see the first time.

I watched this as people were talking about the sex and violence. Also had a mate who was an extra. It was cool seeing it develop from gladiators to a rebellion.

I might go back and re-watch this.

I wasn't aware of the spin off.

A few shows I watched last year that I enjoyed. Lots of animated shows.

Slow Horses (Season 1, 2 & 3) - British MI5 (Gary Oldman) / Prime *Not Animated*
The Bear (Seasons 1 & 2) / Disney *Not Animated*

Pantheon (2 Seasons) / Prime Animated
Invincible (1.5 Seasons) / Prime Animated
Arcane / Netflix Animated
Castlevania (4 Seasons) / Netflix Animated
Blue Eyed Samurei / Netflix Animated
DOTA: Dragons Blood (3 Seasons) / Netflix Animated
Cyberpunk: Edgerunners / Netflix Animated
Vinland Saga (2 seasons) / Netflix Animated

Last edited:
Also just watched ‘A Town Called Malice’. Copy and paste cockney crime drama, the 1980’s musical interludes being its saving grace.

’You facking caants’

Just finished watching 2 Weeks To Live with Maisie Williams.

I don't wanna spoil too much.

She has a list (tho it's more than just a kill list) but she is trained to kill & she goes out alone. In ep2 she has a fight scene where they reenact her most famous GOT scene. Then at the end of the final ep she leaves. She's modern day Aria.

The missus is hounding me to watch "3 body problem" which is an 8 part netflix adaption of a hit chinese sci fi novel. From the makers of Game Of Thrones.
I tried to read the book but could only manage a few pages....

The missus is hounding me to watch "3 body problem" which is an 8 part netflix adaption of a hit chinese sci fi novel. From the makers of Game Of Thrones.
I tried to read the book but could only manage a few pages....
My wife is reading it at the moment and supposedly it’s a little lost in translation. Series is supposed to be quite good though

Back