General Warriors Magic Moments

Doing my best to remember the details of this one as it's bloody ages ago now and I've never seen footage or heard anything about it since, but its definitely a magic moment for mine.
Hope I've got all the players involved correct.

2002. Warriors v Cowboys in Townsville.
The Warriors had just scored a try, I think their 3rd or 4th of the game, still in the first half and doing it pretty easy against the then lowly Cowboys.
The Cowboys kick-off down to the back left corner, not sure who takes it but the player steaming onto the pass for the hit up is none other than the big man Mark Tookey who's been on the field for maybe 5 minutes or so.
Now like everyone else watching, the Cowboys players are expecting a stock standard Tooks kick off return, straight up the guts using all that bulk to smash out some metres.
But our boy Tooks had other ideas this time, and for all the games i'd seen him play up to that point, I'd never seen this from him ever before.
So Tookey steams onto the ball, running full flat out into the approaching Cowboys defensive line who are preparing for the heavy contact, when out the blue, and I do mean out of fucken nowhere, and at top pace, big Tooks puts on a sweeeet left foot step (or right, memory is pretty vague on which) and slips straight between 2 Cowboys defenders like a hot knife through butter.

Now, with nothing but wide open spaces in front of him and a bunch of stunned and red faced Cowboys turning around for the chase behind him, the Big Man floors it, and what a glorious sight it was!!!
As the Cowboys are closing the gap on the chase, and our flying props boots looking a little heavier by the step, Clinton Toopi speeds up next to his shoulder, takes the pass and motors on down the field.
Unfortunately one of the cowboys has caught up too (fullback maybe) and is about to pull Toops down, but just as he's about to grab him, our ever reliable fullback Ivan Cleary appears on the scene to take a beautiful Toopi pass and run the final 20 or so metres to touch down under the black dot!!

The Warriors went on to put about 50 on the Cowboys.

Ok, so keep in mind that this is off the top of the head from a memory that's from 14 years ago, but I think it's gotta be close to do how it actually happened.
Tooks' step and break was a true 'GOOOOOOOO' moment. Haha
Anyone else remember this awesome try?
I stand corrected if I've got some details wrong.
Chur.
Kinda like I remember it. And love your avatar Sorenson Bros playing for Cronulla were awesome.

Reactions: Sup42 and Trugoy
Look who popped up on the Matty Johns show tonight.
Puts today's cornrows to shame.
Toops was a classic!
image.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: mt.wellington
I remember the commentators giving him heaps of shit about his hairdo. Saying that he was playing awful lately and didnt need the spotlight cast on him anymore than it already was...

Yup I remember his form was shithouse around this time. Pretty sure he came off the bench this game.
In Stacey's book he talked about how a few guys like Toops and Fa'afili were more worried about gelling there hair in the mirror than preparing for the game. Haha
Toops was always stylin' on the field.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Yup I remember his form was shithouse around this time. Pretty sure he came off the bench this game.
In Stacey's book he talked about how a few guys like Toops and Fa'afili were more worried about gelling there hair in the mirror than preparing for the game. Haha
Toops was always stylin' on the field.
I remember walking past a hairdresser in Panmure and he was getting his hair straightened! Had a catch up and ended up going with him to the club and playing table tennis. He was always up himself that guy...

1997 Superleague war afforded the Warriors some much needed mental confidence boosting wins against the hapless English.

That series was a great concept, NRL versus ESL in present day terms.

Endicotts Warriors were struggling in their own comp, and arrived at St Hellens home ground as 'bottom of Australian rugby Leagie'.

The POM's were confident of putting the Warriors away.

With their slower line speed and lateral playing style, the English game afforded Stacey Jones all the time and space in the world to do his thing.

The other important difference was that the English had never played against the Calypso rugby league style of Jungle ball with offloads galore.

To say that first game shocked the ESL comp is an understatement.

St Hellens were carved a new one by Jones who ran at the line ten fold of what we were used to seeing from him in the Southern Hemisphere.....one of the Pom commentators asked ' is Stacey Jones the fastest player in the world over forty meters?'.

The Warriors turned on a master class in that opening match, my favorite peice of Pom commentary was "if this is bottom of Aussie Super league, imagine what top teams will do "

Little did they realise the Warriors when playing with the confidence of flat track bullies are more a threat than the rest of the Australasian comp (timely since now at time of this post we see the Warriors Bullie a weakened Broncs team and hapless Knights side...soon to destroy a weak Roosters side too).

As a long time Warriors fan, its freaky to realise that we knew about this confidence side thing as early as the Warriors third ever season.

I swear on my left nut that when I saw them rip St Hellens apart that the wooden spoon 97 Warriors would make the finals of the WC challenge.

It's just so obvious with this club. When their tales are up they are strong, when their tales are down they are a different team.

There is no in between. Which is why they are so vulnerable to sides that can engineer confidence sapping pressure.

The 97 side went on to thrash St Hellens twice in Pool games, thump powerhouse Bradford three times, and mangle Warrington twice.....

Thereafter they narrowly lost to the Broncos in the semi finals....a team that had been the Warriors Bogey side....and would continue to be until Campion joined in 2001...
Which leads the story onto all the nice magic moments in this thread.

Last edited:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Everytime Feka Paleassina ran the ball from a kick off was a magic moment for me.
I remember one game at Mt Smart he took the kick return hit up, sidestepped right at the line, broke through and palmed it off to Stacey Jones I think who went on to score. Fastest score I ever seen...

I loove that try at 50 seconds. Was trying to find it for the Broncos game.

That game against the Broncos was one of my top 3 games I have seen live. Awesome game where we absolutely rag dolled them. Wasnt that the game Campion had a punch up with Webke???

Reactions: frankspence
Having a read of an old 1999 Rugby League Week..Check out the score, and those ratings! Especially the forward pack, they must've monstered the Knights. I spent most of that season overseas so don't remember this game at all. Anyone have have any memories of this match? :)
IMG_8071.JPG

Jordan G

Was that Jones' 150th or 100th or something like that?

I remember it being a milestone game of some kind, we were really up for it. I think it was wet or at least quite slippery. Pretty sure that was the game where Vagana went sliding in late for a try and jumped up with a crotch chop in celebration.

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Foxtel was/is showing the Warriors edition of "Glory Days" today, some good games in there for the nostalgic

Vancent

🫣
Contributor
Having a read of an old 1999 Rugby League Week..Check out the score, and those ratings! Especially the forward pack, they must've monstered the Knights. I spent most of that season overseas so don't remember this game at all. Anyone have have any memories of this match? :) View attachment 22259
Remember it well, was in shock at the score and managed to watch the end of it before jumping on a plane to fly back from Gild a coast to home in Cairns where we lived at the time.

Was a real lifter as it was one I wasn't expecting us to win.

Some good memories being played out during the day today on Fox, it was Warriors day and the box recorded it!

Reactions: Johnnyray

Inruin

Contributor
Having a read of an old 1999 Rugby League Week..Check out the score, and those ratings! Especially the forward pack, they must've monstered the Knights. I spent most of that season overseas so don't remember this game at all. Anyone have have any memories of this match? :) View attachment 22259
it was pouring with rain. We were expected to be beaten and absolutely dominated the Knights. Dr Death was great that game.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Was that Jones' 150th or 100th or something like that?

I remember it being a milestone game of some kind, we were really up for it. I think it was wet or at least quite slippery. Pretty sure that was the game where Vagana went sliding in late for a try and jumped up with a crotch chop in celebration.
Thats the one. Jones became the first player to play 100 games for the club in that game. Round 25 1999 at home...

• Haha
We were one of the form teams in the comp at the end of that season. Typical though the run was left too late. I recall Warren Ryan saying after the game the teams in the finals would be glad the Warriors weren't there. A bit of a cliché line I know but after a 42-0 drubbing it's actually a fair comment.

I watched that game recently from my Best of the Warriors DVD or whatever it is called. Always good to have a few good wins somewhere saved up to play to cheer you up when our season turns to shit.

Robbie Mears was fantastic his brief time here.

Reactions: MurrayTD and Trugoy
Not sure if there’s a thread for this already. Apologies to the moderators in advance. Just sharing one of my favourite warriors performance in from the recent years. 2018 vs Manly, toying around with Turbo and DCE. Man we were building something special with that team. Here’s hoping this year is something similar.