General Warriors Junior Program Reform

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
For the Warriors he mentioned a lot of the recruitment was on the flashy players instead of the players with the right mindset who would work hard. For recruitment it's not all just getting the next superstars.

I wonder if that’s changed much, do we think POS would of found and recruited a player like Jazz based on mindset? highly unlikely imo.

There‘s good reason why Payten described our players as needing a good teacher. Highly skilled but under developed.

You‘d think part of a good pathways strategy would incorporate coaching.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I can see Gould trying to get the NZRL and Warriors on the same page.

NRL funding to the NZRL that creates pathways through the Warriors is the best chance we have.
And we have a great coach in charge of the kiwis and has the same passion, this could be the real golden age of NZRL!

Reactions: Off The Bench

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Geez that kings number 12 Francis Manuleleua is a future superstar isn’t he. Scary to think he’s still only 5th form
People I’ve spoken to that work with the club reckon he’s the best prospect they’ve had in the last decade. They are praying they can hold onto him. They tried everything to get him into the SG ball side. Multiple applications for dispensation etc. Didn’t end up playing due to age restrictions.

This is where not having a Harold Matthews team is going to fuck us up.

Anyway, as you have said, absurd that he’s only 5th form and already one of the best 1st XV players in the country.

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
People I’ve spoken to that work with the club reckon he’s the best prospect they’ve had in the last decade. They are praying they can hold onto him. They tried everything to get him into the SG ball side. Multiple applications for dispensation etc. Didn’t end up playing due to age restrictions.

This is where not having a Harold Matthews team is going to fuck us up.

Anyway, as you have said, absurd that he’s only 5th form and already one of the best 1st XV players in the country.
Surely with what V’landys has done with Joseph Suaali and the Rabbitohs they will allow us to sign him to an NRL contract.
He looks a lot better prospect than what Etene Nanai was at high school.

Canadian_WarriorFan

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 13, 2013
Surely with what V’landys has done with Joseph Suaali and the Rabbitohs they will allow us to sign him to an NRL contract.

Just out of curiousity, where do you see him playing? Centre?

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I think the plan was for him to preseason with the Warriors first grade squad next year, wasn’t told anything else. I get the feeling he’ll be on a first grade development contract pretty soon.

He’s one of those rare prospects that will be pushing for first grade at 18 years old (assuming that he has a good work ethic)

I think they expect to continue growing also. His brother is Sam Manuleleua who played Junior Kiwis a few years ago and is 6’3

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
I think the plan was for him to preseason with the Warriors first grade squad next year, wasn’t told anything else. I get the feeling he’ll be on a first grade development contract pretty soon.

He’s one of those rare prospects that will be pushing for first grade at 18 years old (assuming that he has a good work ethic)

I think they expect to continue growing also. His brother is Sam Manuleleua who played Junior Kiwis a few years ago and is 6’3
What happened to him? He was a great prospect. Wing if I can recall?

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Physically he looks the goods for his age, his ball skills need to develop but not the time to put too much pressure on him. He needs to learn how to run onto a ball and not rely on his physique, which is pretty standard for Warriors Juniors.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Physically he looks the goods for his age, his ball skills need to develop but not the time to put too much pressure on him. He needs to learn how to run onto a ball and not rely on his physique, which is pretty standard for Warriors Juniors.
The key thing to keep in mind is that he is two years younger than his peers at that level.

But agree that no prospect is a sure thing. He needs to put serious work in to reach his potential.

What happened to him? He was a great prospect. Wing if I can recall?
Played couple years in reserve grade then fizzled out. Yeah a rangy wing that was good in the air.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Heard Brownie interview just now. Looks like one of Gus‘s main focuses with be attempting to align the NZRL/Warrior/ARL to work together to establish a Rugby League Academy ala the $22 million Penrith Academy.

The goal of course is to keep and develop our best junior talent, SG Ball is still on by the sounds.

If he can somehow pull it off it has the potential be used as a facility for the Warriors to train out of on a day to day basis imo. I know a few of us on here have been discussing a new facility like this away from Mt Smart.

Last edited:

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Heard Brownie interview just now. Looks like one of Gus‘s main focuses with be attempting to align the NZRL/Warrior/ARL to work together to establish a Rugby League Academy ala the $22 million Penrith Academy.

The goal of course is to keep and develop our best junior talent, SG Ball is still on by the sounds.

Yup, it's the best path forward, but $$$ will be the stumbling block.

If the NRL want the Warriors and NZRL to be strong they need to come to the party with funding of some kind.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Just watched the AGS Kings replay. He set up two or three tries with his ball playing and was the go to for clearing kicks and touch finders. Looked extremely polished in that game.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Yup, it's the best path forward, but $$$ will be the stumbling block.

If the NRL want the Warriors and NZRL to be strong they need to come to the party with funding of some kind.

Yep it won’t be cheap if they’re to do it right either, imagine the Warriors would need to come up with the majority of the funds.

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Just watched the AGS Kings replay. He set up two or three tries with his ball playing and was the go to for clearing kicks and touch finders. Looked extremely polished in that game.

Somebody has already posted about the Kings backs being contracted to the Warriors butthefullback, Doyle, was incredible . He’s from a RL family / background and somebody mentioned a connection to Wayne Doyle.

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
Somebody has already posted about the Kings backs being contracted to the Warriors butthefullback, Doyle, was incredible . He’s from a RL family / background and somebody mentioned a connection to Wayne Doyle.
The head hunter president?
Chicago Doyle had that video go viral when he was like 7, kid half the size of everyone stepping the whole opposition

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
As I stated the very best will be signed to top 30 or development contracts of which there are only 5 or 6 from memory. My issue is we lose everyone else inbetween who may develop slower. Basically we will only sign the freaks of nature who every year we hear about as the next Sonny Bill blah blah blah.

Whens the last time someone of that comparison ever eventuated into anything even close to the hype???

Well they better get out there and sign a team up cause as of right now we have NO juniors contracted for next season. COVID has done us a favour in making sure none have left already for Australia but I know a few have signed union contracts. Its also stuffed us because we dont know if the boys will even be able to play over there anyway.

This would take a big push from Nathan Brown and Gus for the owners to do an about turn on this.

SG Ball is still off.

Look forward to hearing otherwise. It would certainly warm me to NB if he managed it...

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Basically we will only sign the freaks of nature who every year we hear about as the next Sonny Bill blah blah blah.

Whens the last time someone of that comparison ever eventuated into anything even close to the hype???
Happens all the time, David Fifita, Payne Haas, Kayln Ponga.

Just doesn’t happen at our club because we’ve been signing crap juniors for the last 8 or so years.

Reactions: Naumaifooty

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings