Injury Warriors Injury Thread 2019

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Vodafone Warriors hooker Nate Roache’s 2019 season has been cruelly ended by another serious injury.
Scans have confirmed fears the 23-year-old suffered a season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injury in his left knee in Sunday’s clash against the Penrith Panthers at Mount Smart Stadium.
Roache’s knee gave way as he made a 20-metre break from dummy half in the 65th minute of the match with the Vodafone Warriors leading 16-12.
He was making sixth appearance of the season and his first appearance since being side-lined with a back complaint in the ninth-round win over St George Illawarra.
Roache is expected to be out of action for six to nine months. He missed the 2018 season following back surgery.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Vodafone Warriors hooker Nate Roache’s 2019 season has been cruelly ended by another serious injury.
Scans have confirmed fears the 23-year-old suffered a season-ending anterior cruciate ligament injury in his left knee in Sunday’s clash against the Penrith Panthers at Mount Smart Stadium.
Roache’s knee gave way as he made a 20-metre break from dummy half in the 65th minute of the match with the Vodafone Warriors leading 16-12.
He was making sixth appearance of the season and his first appearance since being side-lined with a back complaint in the ninth-round win over St George Illawarra.
Roache is expected to be out of action for six to nine months. He missed the 2018 season following back surgery.

Does anyone really believe he can come back from this?

edit - and can the warriors afford a FG spot being taken up by a player who cant stay on the field for more than 10 percent of a season?

Kearney said on radio sport that Roache was focussed on getting it sorted to come back coz thats the kind of guy he is. Sounded like he was in full support of that. One of the muppets asking questions mentioned Benry but that was brushed over.

• Haha
Reactions: bruce

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Thinking about Roache and Benry got me wondering if the club is doing something wrong in terms of rehab and strengthening players bodies. I thought of another really injury prone player while here in Sio Siua Taukeiaho and why he isn't so injury prone at the Roosters. That guy was continuously doing his ACL while here but looks like a bionic terminator now at Sydney. Thoughts???

Thinking about Roache and Benry got me wondering if the club is doing something wrong in terms of rehab and strengthening players bodies. I thought of another really injury prone player while here in Sio Siua Taukeiaho and why he isn't so injury prone at the Roosters. That guy was continuously doing his ACL while here but looks like a bionic terminator now at Sydney. Thoughts???

Very hard question to answer IMO.

You look at guys like Benji Marshall (shoulder) or Awen Guttenbeil (knee) who had some horrible injuries early in their career and came out the other side. I would tend to put Taukeiaho in that category even though he last did his ACL while at the Roosters.

Other guys just don't seem to be able to escape that injury bug. Benry was one, I think Roache might be another. I'm not sure there was really much we could have done to prevent it tbh.

I think it’s genetics and possibly bad luck. Some players just can’t handle the physical stress and others have freak accidents.

There are plenty that have had injury after injury and never get to really crack it in first grade. Some others go on to have long careers.
Tim Moltson was always injured.
The Stanley brother did their knees many times.
Benji had a lot of shoulder problems when he started.

The Fuss and the Fish were both injured for a long time. Now Fuss is doing okay but the Fish was still struggling.

As for the Warriors. I recall Matt Elliott saying the process here was different to Australia. It may have had something to do with ACC and took longer to actually have surgery and start rehab.

Roach an Benru both got injured on their return games from injury if I
Remember right .

Reactions: bruce

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
yea, it really happened. there was a press release from the club stating , someone, was waiting on acc before they could get surgery. it was more than a few years ago now, so having issues with memory

Reactions: Off The Bench

Stalefish540

Contributor
Look I know everyone is out for blood because of the situation we're in, but iirc the Warriors have one of the best medical groups in the league.
The truth is some players bodys just arn't up to the NRL grind, like someone else said it's likely a mixture of genetics, and or bad luck. I could list a whole host of players throughout the past 20+ years from every single club in the league that have been glassy.

Now wether certain players at the club due to our culture don't tick every box 24/7 with their rehab, like some of the players in other teams with more professional cultures, then thats something I could prescribe to.

Given how Roache's body lIves in a permanent state of ridiculous shape, I think it's safe to say he likely ticks the boxes. Hes just one of those very muscly guys that attracts a lot of injuries, obviously abit of size difference but Tau Moga comes to mind of the current crop thats has had the same issues.

Things can go seriously wrong, and continually so, when trying to follow what is Plan B. I think Roache needs to call it a day and work out what his Plan A is.

"Take a good look at the situation, matey, and listen to what your body is trying to tell you. You weren't even in contact with another player, you were just running. So maybe you shouldn't be running on a footie pitch at all, eh? Things will go right for you, you just need to work out what you're gonna do."