General Warriors Halves 2010 onwards

ToiletDuck_old

Good post Seb. I have a major hard-on for Monaghan. I don't care if he's 31.

He must be kidding if he wants 3 years at 300k, there aren't too many 34 year old halfbacks running around commanding that kind of cash...

If Carney is going to Rooters then where is Pearce going? Or are they planning to play Carney at 5/8 and put Anal at lock?

Kid-Dynamite_old

You would think Foran would get a crack next year, and then players like Isaac John, Herimia and even Shaun Johnson!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed we re-sign Fien though! I think it's criminal what's gone on with him this year, after what he did for the Warriors and N.Z last year!

sebastian_old

Good post Seb. I have a major hard-on for Monaghan. I don't care if he's 31.

He must be kidding if he wants 3 years at 300k, there aren't too many 34 year old halfbacks running around commanding that kind of cash...

If Carney is going to Rooters then where is Pearce going? Or are they planning to play Carney at 5/8 and put Anal at lock?

Thanks TD.
The information I have is that the Roosters plan is to keep Pearce at 7 & with Carney at 6 moving Anasta to 13 once and for all.
I have always loved Monaghan as a halfback & without going overboard, I believe he could turn our team into real a Premiership threat. The catch with this guy is the length of the contract. He wants 3 years but I believe if we give him 2 years at a sizable amount, I think he'll deal. I know the best halfback's usually turn us down but I think in these surcumstance's we could aquire Monaghan. That's 2 quality years from him while we find our long-term halfback. If this senario worked out I believe we'd be on top again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spence_old

You would think Foran would get a crack next year, and then players like Isaac John, Herimia and even Shaun Johnson!

I'm keeping my fingers crossed we re-sign Fien though! I think it's criminal what's gone on with him this year, after what he did for the Warriors and N.Z last year!

It seems that both Heremaia and John are preferred over Foran at the moment, but I guess that could be due to his inury. I also think it is way too early to bring Johnson in next year. He hasn't been able to tackle in the Toyota Cup, and is still very raw. He has 3 years on his contract, so patience is the key.

I agree with you on Fien, however, I am an unashamed Fien lover. So maybe take my views on Fien with a pinch of salt.

garyhobson_old

According to wikpedia it says Michael Monoghan is 28 years old, born in 1980.

Get rid of players like Aidan Kirk we are half a chance of signing good players with more money in the cap.

Spence_old

All we need now is a halfback, when Price leaves I wouldn't mind all his money going towards a good one. I think we have depth in every other position and don't really need to buy anyone else.

Matrix_old

What about the back up half for Newcastle Scott Dureau he has a great passing game & kicked a mean 40/20 against us a few weeks back he's 2nd choice behind Mullen & i think is almost as good Maybe he'd want a permanent starting spot ? Otherwise what about a ball playing fullback to move into half like a Matty Bowen or a k Hunt as an example!!! Otherwise if all else fails i'd be keen to see Locke have a crack

Spence_old

What about the back up half for Newcastle Scott Dureau he has a great passing game & kicked a mean 40/20 against us a few weeks back he's 2nd choice behind Mullen & i think is almost as good Maybe he'd want a permanent starting spot ? Otherwise what about a ball playing fullback to move into half like a Matty Bowen or a k Hunt as an example!!! Otherwise if all else fails i'd be keen to see Locke have a crack

Not until he is ineligible for U20s, unless we are severely hit with injuries, same goes for Johnson. I would like to give Foran/John/Godinet a run first.

ToiletDuck_old

I think they see Mullen as a 6 in the long run...so Dureau can stay at 7. No point going after K Hunt or Bowen, neither would come and neither are what we need as a half (esp Bowen who I've never even seen in the halves?).

OK I just wiki'd Monaghan also...he is 28 (29 in May)....I have a massive hard-on for him now...give him 3 years at 300.

Etern0L_Warrior_old

yea thats what i said, he's 28 and will be 31 in 3 years :) if hunt comes here i'm going to support parra and souths

(.......hunt........err..)

Kid-Dynamite_old

I think they see Mullen as a 6 in the long run...so Dureau can stay at 7. No point going after K Hunt or Bowen, neither would come and neither are what we need as a half (esp Bowen who I've never even seen in the halves?).

I reckon he'd make a decent half though!

I mean he's chimed in from fullback and thrown some sweet passes to set up tries. He can kick and we all know what he can do when he takes on the line.

Fullbacks are often very skillful players and are capable of playing in the halves. i.e Preston Campbell, Matty Bowen, Kurt Gidley, and probably the greatest fullback to become a half....Darren Lockyer!

BringBackRovelli_old

Yeah fullbacks usually have good vision, cos they learn to read the game well at the back, but depends on your other skills, for example McKinnon can`t pass properly, only to his left, but even that is not great. And he can`t kick. Bowen has better basic skills, but I`m not sure he would be keen on defending in the line all game.

Lockyer has done exceptionally well to be able to throw accurate and powerful cut-out balls both left and right, and have a very good tactical kicking game, skills that he only started to regularly use after his move to 5/8th.

staceyjones4life_old

I think we should start raiding Superleague. If we signed Rob Burrow it would be a dream come true. He's in his prime and with the departure of Price, Stacey, Fien, Witt and Rovelli, we'd have enough to sign him. I say stick with Moon at 5/8 (he just needs to work on his organizational skills), Fien for mid season transfer, so we can put Foran/John/Heremaia + Henderson (because he can play in the back row too) on the bench to swap with Henderson/Stacey, giving them more gametime. I also think we should drop Price to the bench. It'd be unfair on the bloke but we need to get used to life without him.

1. McKinnon
2. Kemp (will step up in coming weeks)
3. Ah Van
4. Ropati
5. Vatuvei
6. Moon
7. Jones
8. Rapira
9. Hohaia
10. Packer
11. Mannering
12. Lillyman
13. Luck (c)

14. Foran
15. Price
16. Henderson
17. Royal

And to whoever said Locke to Halfback, I think Graham Lowe suggested that last year....

Kid-Dynamite_old

I was watching Deaker on Sport the other day, and Pricey, at this stage anyway, seemed keen for another year.

garyhobson_old

Tim Smith, Warriors should chase this guy. He has his problems, but he can be managed. Very good halfback - organiser, one of the best short kicking games, great vision.

Tim Smith, Shaun Johnson combination will be lethal.

I like Joel Moon, in time and with more exprience playing five eight he could develope into a really good five eight, in the mould of Braith Anasta.

Kid-Dynamite_old

Tim Smith has done nothing over in England! He'd be too much of a risk!

I'm a firm believer in bringing up one of our own. We don't need to recruit when we got good young kids coming through the grades! If we put time into them, rather than searching for someone else....we'll see the benefits.

garyhobson_old

Tim Smith "has done nothing wrong" & hes "solid"

Tim Smith is proven to be a halfback of quality. Hes the type of player the Warriors need, imagine what this team could do with a good halfback. No use trying out young kids in the halves together, you wont win a premiership.
Im all for putting time into young kids, I mention Shaun Johnson, he should be the five eight.

Kid-Dynamite_old

What's wrong with Nathan Fien being our senior half for the next few years!?

This is a guy who took us to a World Cup victory....do people forget that, it was no fluke!

And then Joel Moon, Shaun Johnson etc can play around him. And hopefully we can keep Stacey in some sort of role to coach/mentor our young halves, like Andrew Johns does over in Australia. In-particular with players like Jarrod Mullen at the Knights