General Warriors: From obsession to apathy

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
There's a lot of depression and frustration in the Island community. Many of them are struggling to find their feat in Western Civilization. They have huge extended family expectations that White kids don't have, which is a huge burden and quite frankly it's a handicap on their chances of succeeding as individuals.

I hear guys talking about how they have to pay for their parents, and their kids will have to pay for them. How is someone supposed to start a business if all their spare money goes to their extended family? So they have no selfish motivation to succeed at the highest level. Which you need if you want to play in the big time.

And the fan experience, watching someone playing, not for the fans, but for their own family, is a bit sour if you ask me. Why should I pay to watch that?

It's not a charity. It's pro sports. They are completely separate in my mind.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
If we are doing a comparison of union and league in nz, aside from being massively better funded and better coached, union gets a lot of its players from the regions which makes a huge difference. Read, Conrad Smith, McCaw and so on.

I'm only presuming looking at the blues and the warriors that looking at young talent there is a clear favourtism towards athletic ability over game iq and it is costing them. In the regions you have more time to develop and I think it helps.

Mannering, Matulino Luke, Thompson and Gubb are all non auckanders and I think the blues and warriors should have a good honest conversation together about how they are developing their players because it is not working.

Reactions: Centurion

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Nailed it TD but I'm not ready to fully admit it to myself. My heart is still winning the battle over my mind. Just not ready to let go at the moment.

I totally agree about the dampened expectations, enthusiasm and emotions towards the team over the last few seasons. I no longer yell and scream at the television. The neighbours no longer know when the game is on at my house :(. I spend more time walking around the stadium visiting different mates in their different stands then I do sitting parked in my seat with my eyes firmly glued to the field. I've learnt to be graceful in defeat and humble in victory as opposed to being deliriously jubilant or straight depressed. I no longer try get team gossip. I no longer concentrate hard enough on games to write a proper review. I no longer watch a replay of the game even if we win.

Truth is Ive become numb to the reality of what's actually happening at the club and the future prospects that reality holds. Rebuild and no finals footy FML :banghead:

As you know too well TD I'm sucker for punishment. A part of me fools the better part that if I just hang in there long enough we will finally reach the promised land. I tell myself that it took the Sharks 42 years. Took the Cubs over a century. I think that all this suffering, aggravation and disappointment will be repaid in spades when they finally get it together but I fear unless something seriously drastic happens I won't be around to witness it.

I have thought long and hard these past couple of months about whether I renew my membership next season. Something that was unconscionable just a year ago. Im wondering if I stop supporting the team financially and just be one of the many passive bandwagon fans that tired of the teams inconsistency long ago. Ive questioned the amount of time I spend even on this very forum posting and setting things up.

It feels sad writing this after all the time, money and emotion I've invested into this team. Feel like I'm slowly falling out of love with my partner of 23 years. After all the ups and downs we're just growing apart.

Don't get me wrong. I will always support this team but the question is how much time and effort will I continue to put into it. Something has to give. For now Im good lying to myself that everything is ok. Still have a little faith to think it'll all miraculously turn around. The alcohol helps with that a great deal.

Will keep following blindly but the blinkers are slowly starting to come off. Hopefully it all starts to click but I think we all know where this season is headed...

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 24, 2014
Nailed it TD but I'm not ready to fully admit it to myself. My heart is still winning the battle over my mind. Just not ready to let go at the moment.

I totally agree about the dampened expectations, enthusiasm and emotions towards the team over the last few seasons. I no longer yell and scream at the television. The neighbours no longer know when the game is on at my house :(. I spend more time walking around the stadium visiting different mates in their different stands then I do sitting parked in my seat with my eyes firmly glued to the field. I've learnt to be graceful in defeat and humble in victory as opposed to being deliriously jubilant or straight depressed. I no longer try get team gossip. I no longer concentrate hard enough on games to write a proper review. I no longer watch a replay of the game even if we win.

Truth is Ive become numb to the reality of what's actually happening at the club and the future prospects that reality holds. Rebuild and no finals footy FML :banghead:

As you know too well TD I'm sucker for punishment. A part of me fools the better part that if I just hang in there long enough we will finally reach the promised land. I tell myself that it took the Sharks 42 years. Took the Cubs over a century. I think that all this suffering, aggravation and disappointment will be repaid in spades when they finally get it together but I fear unless something seriously drastic happens I won't be around to witness it.

I have thought long and hard these past couple of months about whether I renew my membership next season. Something that was unconscionable just a year ago. Im wondering if I stop supporting the team financially and just be one of the many passive bandwagon fans that tired of the teams inconsistency long ago. Ive questioned the amount of time I spend even on this very forum posting and setting things up.

It feels sad writing this after all the time, money and emotion I've invested into this team. Feel like I'm slowly falling out of love with my partner of 23 years. After all the ups and downs we're just growing apart.

Don't get me wrong. I will always support this team but the question is how much time and effort will I continue to put into it. Something has to give. For now Im good lying to myself that everything is ok. Still have a little faith to think it'll all miraculously turn around. The alcohol helps with that a great deal.

Will keep following blindly but the blinkers are slowly starting to come off. Hopefully it all starts to click but I think we all know where this season is headed...
Just how I feel

Reactions: matiunz and bruce

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
I'm the bipolar opposite to you Mr Wellingtons.

My heart is constantly telling me that this team feels horrid and I should run a mile.

My mind is the only thing keeping me with this team. This knowledge that it could get better if they just play the game right. The idea that Kearney is bringing in players next year who could make a difference to our forward pack. Thoughts like that.

My heart has been battered and bruised something fierce by this club. But my mind is stubborn as and I'm still here.

Winners never quit and quitters never win.

jsmooove

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
WWF pays were reliant on house and merchandise revenues too. Very incentivised. V Hogan in WCW who got $750k per PPV.

With WCW they kept producing absolute garbage with no regard for fans. And by early 1999 after the finger poke of doom the arse started falling out the bottom of it.

There are so many similarities here. So many.
i feel like other times are the WWF which pulled itself together and became such a well oiled machine and we are the WCW where we save our best moments for nitro (think of it as playing a lower ranked team) and not on a PPV(the big matches where we need to win against a top teir team)

if you havent i recommend reading the death of wcw by bryan alvarez goes in depth into how bad wcw was even in their glory days

the finger poke of doom feels to me what the panthers game was. its not the final nail in the coffin but my interests are starting to go elsewhere. i really started to stop watching wrestling when sting actually joined the wolfpac. im waiting to see when the warriors moment is

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Ive stopped defending the team in public. I acknowledge i support a shit team amongst friends and in public when asked about the Warriors. Why bother defending their pitiful displays? It doesnt bother me enough when i miss 20 odd minutes to go back and watch a replay of that later. Im extremely disillusioned with this club and where its heading. I now laugh about the joke of a club it has become. I would much rather have the nsw cup players in first grade than to see the gifting of first grade appearances that we continue to see. The reviews are useless and nothing changes. I love the fans of the club but my heart is no longer in love with the club it has been for the past 23 years.

Im over the denial stage. I still want them to win but this week im hoping for them to lose to show Kearney that the faith and trust in this set of players is misguided. If they win the blind faith wagon will continue.

Vancent

😷
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Just how I feel

....and Bingo was his name-o...

Exactly.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
There's a lot of depression and frustration in the Island community. Many of them are struggling to find their feat in Western Civilization. They have huge extended family expectations that White kids don't have, which is a huge burden and quite frankly it's a handicap on their chances of succeeding as individuals.

I hear guys talking about how they have to pay for their parents, and their kids will have to pay for them. How is someone supposed to start a business if all their spare money goes to their extended family? So they have no selfish motivation to succeed at the highest level. Which you need if you want to play in the big time.

And the fan experience, watching someone playing, not for the fans, but for their own family, is a bit sour if you ask me. Why should I pay to watch that?

It's not a charity. It's pro sports. They are completely separate in my mind.

Not disagreeing with what you say...but how does all this apply to Roger Tuivasa-Sheck? A guy who goes the extra mile in everything he does, and tries to lead by example, his only weakness is in tackling which stands out because there are so many poor tacklers in the team.

In a population sense NZ is low on league talent but that doesn't stop the Aussies seeking out our juniors, so they are here.

What the Warriors are paying the price for is years of poor junior development and recruitment, and maybe the Blues are doing the same. The only common factor is they have so much Polynesian talent at their back door.

Both franchises are clearly doing a lot, but is it enough? The results indicate not.

Canberra used to have a natural advantage in the local Western Division country area which now is not as strong as it was. They went through the doldrums for quite a while because nobody wanted to go there. They started to focus their recruitment on what was needed in specific positions, not just big names, but players who could do a job and fit into the team.

That begs the question has JD spent too much effort on Kieran Foran that should have been spent on other more important things. Mason Lino and Ata would be much better behind a decent pack, so why waste effort chasing Foran?

He might have wasted his three years here if he wasn't onto this. If so I hope he realises it and can do something about it ASAP.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
I find it disturbing that for years I had my favourite players that I NEEDED to be in the team or all hell would break loose. There isnt a single player in the club who I give a toss if they make the cut or not anymore. Id be happy to see any one of them have there contracts torn up, as a warning to the rest. The bigger the name the better.

drunk_monk

1st Grade Fringe
May 15, 2014
Ive stopped defending the team in public. I acknowledge i support a shit team amongst friends and in public when asked about the Warriors. Why bother defending their pitiful displays?

This it the other thing I forgot to mention.

I used to argue until I was blue in the face about the Warriors. They had a mistep because... they are great despite...., years and years of excuses. But now I just shrug and say yea they are shit, it is what it is, you never know, one year they might not be.

Ill still tune in every week to watch them lose though.

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Fuck you lot are a depressing group of people.

Cheer up!!!!!!!!!
Ok...I will try to think positive about this...as follows...

as soon as I heard Mannering was out I asked who is going to cover his 40 odd tackles a game...the answer...nobody... and two losses...
next question...who is the club grooming to replace Mannering when his body gives in...nobody...more depression...
when was the last time the club was doing any good...when they had TWO tacklebots in Michael Luck and Mannering...a light bulb pops out of the gloom...
there you have it JD...easy as...sell Lolohea and use the money to buy a tacklebot...there are plenty going...Cronulla found some easily
...now some fecker tell me I am going crazy

Reactions: MarkW

PNG Kiwi

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 11, 2016
Following sport in our case the Warriors is a metaphor for a tribe or identity, unfortunately for most of us tragic Warrior fans we are inclined to cross the line from fans to being obsessed only to be crushed by poor performances and substandard attitude.

A lot has been said about the reasons for where the club is at, and most of it is correct to various degrees. SK was not my preferred coach but in saying that with what they were trying to achieve with NZ born players makes sense.

We are not close enough to know what is happening behind the scenes, but you would think with four coaches and an advisory board something must be happening.

Have I lost faith yes. In fact part of me hopes we don't turn up against Broncos B side and they will have to weld the axe.
I think I am more interested in the reserves they seem to know how to win. So for that reason alone I will keep following with hope of a better tomorrow

Dave Brough

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 24, 2014
Never see anyone mention this,But do others get pissed off,with this talk,from our last 4 coaches,who say.
The players are just lacking,a little confidence.
Give them a couple of wins and they will come right.
Invariably this lack of confidence comes after a couple of good results,like we have witnessed again this season.
We should have been high on confidence after the Roosters game.
Shit,we are fragile. Do we get over confident after a couple of wins,and,the arse falls out of our team.

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 13, 2014
Never see anyone mention this,But do others get pissed off,with this talk,from our last 4 coaches,who say.
The players are just lacking,a little confidence.
Give them a couple of wins and they will come right.
Invariably this lack of confidence comes after a couple of good results,like we have witnessed again this season.
We should have been high on confidence after the Roosters game.
Shit,we are fragile. Do we get over confident after a couple of wins,and,the arse falls out of our team.
I think it's more a case of these fragile little tulips being unable to handle the abuse that comes from the home crowd,,,,,,,,,, when they're falling off tackles like skin off a leper.

Seriously what do they expect us to do? Clap and cheer when the other team runs through the guts like a bad case of diarrhea?

I wish Scurvy and Radiation Sickness on them all. Too harsh. Sorry. I retract that last statement. An itchy rash will suffice.

JoeyJohns

If this team is the reason for your depression, mental illness and 23yrs of suffering, the prefect cure would be to pack the stadium by 5pm to watch the ISP team, a team to be proud of. Then empty the stadium at 7pm to send a message to the NRL side and its management.

If that's doesn't cure you, then try meth. Everybodyelse seems to .

Johnnyray

1st Grade Fringe
Oct 11, 2014
Yeah according to one guy I know who "claims" he has connections with club we're not only ones who's given up on NZ Warriors. Apparently Eric Watson has been trying to sell it but he wants too much for it, that's why he's yet to find buyer. Which is kind of weird considering that he bought club for $600,000 and then got $5.9 million out Owen Glenn when he bought half of it off him a couple of years back. How much more money does Eric Watson want to make out this investment ? You would think getting ten times as much for it would be enough. He must be one of those random people you see at restaurants who asks for aioli with their French fries. You know nothing is ever normal with him...;)

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Yeah according to one guy I know who "claims" he has connections with club we're not only ones who's given up on NZ Warriors. Apparently Eric Watson has been trying to sell it but he wants too much for it, that's why he's yet to find buyer. Which is kind of weird considering that he bought club for $600,000 and then got $5.9 million out Owen Glenn when he bought half of it off him a couple of years back. How much more money does Eric Watson want to make out this investment ? You would think getting ten times as much for it would be enough. He must be one of those random people you see at restaurants who asks for aioli with their French fries. You know nothing is ever normal with him...;)
Rumours been going around for ages. Last I heard an investment team from Melbourne were looking into it...

I think it's more a case of these fragile little tulips being unable to handle the abuse that comes from the home crowd,,,,,,,,,, when they're falling off tackles like skin off a leper.
Thats rubbish and if you went to a game you'd know that...

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
I keep saying it, look in the regions. Things can be turned around, but there are no shortcuts. The present team needs to harden up mentally, that is whats missing. In the long term talent identification is the key.

As far as the regions go I will refer to Union players from the top of my head who made it from the 'unfashionable' regions, Ritchie McCaw North Otago, Justin Marshall, Jimmy Cown Southland, Dan Carter Rural Canturbury, Aaron Cruden, Aaron Smith, Sam Whitelock Manawatu, Israel Dagg Hawke Bay, Conrad Smith Taranaki, Christian Cullen, Carlos Spencer Horowhenus, Rico & Hosea Gear, Charlie Ngatai Poverty Bay, Zinzan, Robin Brooke Northland. These are just off the top of my head, oh yes, Grant Fox, Waikato.

I remember an article from an Auckland Journalist banging on about Auckland producing another great wing in Rico Gear, he comes from Poverty Bay and had played for them and BOP before joining the Blues.

Who in the Warriors demonstrably week in and out gives total effort, Mannering and Gubb, non Aucklanders. This is not a go at Auckland players, but the focus has to be wider as far as NZ recruitment goes.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings