General Warriors: From obsession to apathy

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Mar 30, 2012
Auckland
Hey guys, thought I'd post this here before letting it loose elsewhere. Some may find it a tad harsh, but it's how I (and many many people I've spoken with) feel. Feel free to tear it apart, but I feel like the time for sugar coating has well and truly gone. Most of it isn't new sentiment for us who frequent here, just collective thoughts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something is happening. Change is happening. As a Warriors supporter, there is a mood in the air that I have never experienced in 20 years. Or should I say, lack of mood - apathy is the only word I can find to describe it. The lack of enthusiasm, emotion, and even general interest in some cases, is a stark contrast to years gone by.

There was a time when the Warriors meant everything to me. Over the past 2 decades, my weeks and weekends have been dominated by everything rugby league and Warriors. My general mood over the week soured after a loss, then brightened again as game-day approached. My circle of friends similarly dove head first into the sport and the Auckland-based side with obsessive eagerness that was essentially unmatched by anything for years.

However during the last few seasons, I have noticed a gradual shift in mindset. It started out as simply less anger, less frustration after a loss. Then some started to avoid watching the games once it was clear the Warriors weren’t going to make the 8. This progressed to snorts of derision during the propaganda-filled preseasons, and collective eye-rolling when we were fed articles declaring a ‘fitter, stronger, more focused squad than ever before’. The club slowly descended from an entity that once filled us with pride, enjoyment, passion – to something that we oddly found ourselves resenting. We were putting everything we had into it, and getting nothing in return.

From my perspective, this season has seen the biggest change of all. The fiery passion amongst many supporters is not only gone, it has been replaced with almost nothing at all. People simply no longer care about the outcome. I feel I can speak about this with a degree of confidence, having helped run the largest online supporters forum for the past decade. There will always be a sub-set of supporter that lives and dies by the results on the field, but this breed is dwindling.

From a competition standpoint, I would suggest the Knights are in a deeper hole than the Warriors, but they at least have some past success to fall back on. I don't see the Warriors winning a premiership for a long time, if ever. If I have to star gaze, they are probably on the verge of a Newcastle style 'rebuild' with very little light at the end of the tunnel.

I don’t say this lightly, or as a knee-jerk reaction to what has unfolded so far this year. The Warriors simply do not produce footballers good enough to compete for sustained periods of time. What we see are many players who are good at one or two things only. Some are great on attack, but can’t defend, or lack basic ball handling skills. Some are great defenders, but can’t break a tackle to save themselves. It is quite apparent that the players with all-round abilities tend to end up in rugby union, and why wouldn’t they? Spending your days in the pulsating industrial hub of Penrose must surely pale in comparison to an All Black jersey and all the comes with it.

The attribute which is most consistently lacking however, is mental fortitude. Most players this club produces lack it in spades. It can be hidden to a degree in a side filled with players who have it, but is sorely exposed here. The so-called nursery of junior league players in Auckland is nothing but a giant youtube highlight reel with zero substance. There is nothing about the junior players in our current squad that suggests they are anything but fringe first graders, let alone the type of players you can build a club around. The future looks incredibly dim.

If I am being brutally honest - the Warriors are a club where careers come to die. Where basic skills, fitness and attitudes nose dive, never to recover to pre-Warriors levels – a few notable exceptions aside. No prior or current strategies on or off the field have worked, save for perhaps a couple of brief periods.

Jim Doyle's current strategy of recruiting Kiwis looks grand on paper but is arguably producing some of our worst ever performances. I expect to see him fall on his sword at the end of this season, as he probably should, though he has at least tried something different. In short, there is almost nothing to be positive about regarding this club and the direction it is headed.

I will probably watch again this weekend, as old habits certainly seem to die hard. Though none of what unfolds will mean very much, neither to myself nor many of my fellow supporters-turned-observers. Apathy has taken over, and it’s here to stay.

Last edited:

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
You have summed up my feelings entirely.

I had the game on on Friday but barely watched it. It was background noise to whatever else I was doing.

We used to go round to my Sisters house for every away game (Mt Smart Season Ticket holders) but have not gone round once because we are slowly caring less and less about this team.

I can't count how many times I have foregone an event to head to Mt Smart for a game, only to have a weakened opposition squash us.

Jordan G

Nice.

At this point I would even question whether the Knights are in a deeper hole because they clearly have a path that they're walking down and there's genuine desire and effort in that team.

As Jim has already said, recruiting Kiwis isn't the strategy, it's just part of the strategy that is most effective because it's easier to get Kiwis to come home than it is to get Aussies to leave home.

I also believe that the "careers come to die" is only true because of the club's inability to recruit/develop rather than the individuals going backwards. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is the same player, but at the Roosters he was the shiny new rims on the already well built machine while here he's expected to be the engine. Our recruitment has been ass backwards looking for quick fixes for some time and development only now is starting to trend in the right direction (in theory at least) after years of waste.

Danpatmac

Hey guys, thought I'd post this here before letting it loose elsewhere. Some may find it a tad harsh, but it's how I (and many many people I've spoken with) feel. Feel free to tear it apart, but I feel like the time for sugar coating has well and truly gone. Most of it isn't new sentiment for us who frequent here, just collective thoughts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Something is happening. Change is happening. As a Warriors supporter, there is a mood in the air that I have never experienced in 20 years. Or should I say, lack of mood - apathy is the only word I can find to describe it. The lack of enthusiasm, emotion, and even general interest in some cases, is a stark contrast to years gone by.

There was a time when the Warriors meant everything to me. Over the past 2 decades, my weeks and weekends have been dominated by everything rugby league and Warriors. My general mood over the week soured after a loss, then brightened again as game-day approached. My circle of friends similarly dove head first into the sport and the Auckland-based side with obsessive eagerness that was essentially unmatched by anything for years.

However during the last few seasons, I have noticed a gradual shift in mindset. It started out as simply less anger, less frustration after a loss. Then some started to avoid watching the games once it was clear the Warriors weren’t going to make the 8. This progressed to snorts of derision during the propaganda-filled preseasons, and collective eye-rolling when we were fed articles declaring a ‘fitter, stronger, more focused squad than ever before’. The club slowly descended from an entity that once filled us with pride, enjoyment, passion – to something that we oddly found ourselves resenting. We were putting everything we had into it, and getting nothing in return.

From my perspective, this season has seen the biggest change of all. The fiery passion amongst many supporters is not only gone, it has been replaced with almost nothing at all. People simply no longer care about the outcome. I feel I can speak about this with a degree of confidence, having helped run the largest online supporters forum for the past decade. There will always be a sub-set of supporter that lives and dies by the results on the field, but this breed is dwindling.

From a competition standpoint, I would suggest the Knights are in a deeper hole than the Warriors, but they at least have some past success to fall back on. I don't see the Warriors winning a premiership for a long time, if ever. If I have to star gaze, they are probably on the verge of a Newcastle style 'rebuild' with very little light at the end of the tunnel.

I don’t say this lightly, or as a knee-jerk reaction to what has unfolded so far this year. The Warriors simply do not produce footballers good enough to compete for sustained periods of time. What we see are many players who are good at one or two things only. Some are great on attack, but can’t defend, or lack basic ball handling skills. Some are great defenders, but can’t break a tackle to save themselves. It is quite apparent that the players with all-round abilities tend to end up in rugby union, and why wouldn’t they? Spending your days in the pulsating industrial hub of Penrose must surely pale in comparison to an All Black jersey and all the comes with it.

The attribute which is most consistently lacking however, is mental fortitude. Most players this club produces lack it in spades. It can be hidden to a degree in a side filled with players who have it, but is sorely exposed here. The so-called nursery of junior league players in Auckland is nothing but a giant youtube highlight reel with zero substance. There is nothing about the junior players in our current squad that suggests they are anything but fringe first graders, let alone the type of players you can build a club around. The future looks incredibly dim.

If I am being brutally honest - the Warriors are a club where careers come to die. Where basic skills, fitness and attitudes nose dive, never to recover to pre-Warriors levels – a few notable exceptions aside. No prior or current strategies on or off the field have worked, save for perhaps a couple of brief periods.

Jim Doyle's current strategy of recruiting Kiwis looks grand on paper but is arguably producing some of our worst ever performances. I expect to see him fall on his sword at the end of this season, as he probably should, though he has at least tried something different. In short, there is almost nothing to be positive about regarding this club and the direction it is headed.

I will probably watch again this weekend, as old habits certainly seem to die hard. Though none of what unfolds will mean very much, neither to myself nor many of my fellow supporters-turned-observers. Apathy has taken over, and it’s here to stay.

I miss you.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
Sums things up for me. I've been battling it for the last 18 months or so. Like I am interested in what is happening, but I force myself not to watch because I know it will just REALLY piss me off. I think the Panthers loss was the final straw for me watching live. I was pissed off for a good couple of hours and at this point, it's just not worth it. Watching the Warriors isn't EVER fun for me. I don't think I've enjoyed a game since 2011 when we outclassed the Storm en route to the grand final.

At this stage, every game I miss is easier than the last. I even turned down free tickets to the Dragons game (ten minute drive) because I knew we'd lose and I'd have a shit time.

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Oct 24, 2012
Honestly, when I begin looking up something NRL related - looking up nrl.com or reading league articles on the Herald or some other paper - I just realize how little I care. Supporting this team has made me actually care less about the sport, when I used to get excited to watch every game, or at least any games that interest me.

And it's not just that we've been bad - we've been bad before and I'd still enjoy watching other games. I think it's the soul crushing combination of how bad weve been, alongside how long we've been like that.

We've played so gutless, so stupidly... it's just killed my enjoyment of the game.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
Honestly, when I begin looking up something NRL related - looking up nrl.com or reading league articles on the Herald or some other paper - I just realize how little I care. Supporting this team has made me actually care less about the sport, when I used to get excited to watch every game, or at least any games that interest me.

And it's not just that we've been bad - we've been bad before and I'd still enjoy watching other games. I think it's the soul crushing combination of how bad weve been, alongside how long we've been like that.

We've played so gutless, so stupidly... it's just killed my enjoyment of the game.

Not to mention how utterly fucking clueless the people running the game are and how many bad calls every team seems to cop. It's hard to invest at all when it's basically a flip of the coin whether the decision will be right or not.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Definitely.

My interest has died before. Halfway through 2004 the club was being led/fronted by the out-of-their-depth trio of Mick Watson, Tony Kemp and Monty Betham and realised this isn’t what I used to enjoy, so just stopped paying attention for a couple of years. Was at university at the time so could move on with drinking beer without a second thought. Come 2007 was back on board, team was winning, Vatuvei and Mannering were the future and haven’t got off the rollercoaster since. High point being the 2011 finals win over the storm, probably the best they have ever played and the happiest I have ever been after a sporting event. Even the All Blacks world cup wins were more relief that the “chokers” narrative was over, wasn’t much excitement about it.

It’s a little harder when your 31, married, with an office job to give up one of your hobbies/interests, but it’ll be okay, can read more books, watch other shows, do more things on the weekend with the spouse, instead of blocking out Sunday/Saturday afternoons – “no, no, the warriors are on, can’t go out and do that”

Assuming the season plays out the way it looks, will get rid of my sky subscription after the Lions tour and the new season of Game of Thrones, will make sure to tell sky if they ask, blame it on the warriors.

As a non-aucklander I feel stink for the people who have sunk serious money into memberships and what not, but they get the right to say I told you so, if it eventually turns.

I don’t really understand how they can appear so lethargic and uninterested, but they are, year after year. It is fixable, in the sense that it’s a hard capped competition (kind of) and any team can have a season or 3 of prominence if you wait long enough, but it won’t come without major changes. Not just replacing the coach.

Won’t jump to another team, but will just keep an eye on it until things start to get better.

Whiteknight

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 30, 2016
Auckland
Definitely.

My interest has died before. Halfway through 2004 the club was being led/fronted by the out-of-their-depth trio of Mick Watson, Tony Kemp and Monty Betham and realised this isn’t what I used to enjoy, so just stopped paying attention for a couple of years. Was at university at the time so could move on with drinking beer without a second thought. Come 2007 was back on board, team was winning, Vatuvei and Mannering were the future and haven’t got off the rollercoaster since. High point being the 2011 finals win over the storm, probably the best they have ever played and the happiest I have ever been after a sporting event. Even the All Blacks world cup wins were more relief that the “chokers” narrative was over, wasn’t much excitement about it.

It’s a little harder when your 31, married, with an office job to give up one of your hobbies/interests, but it’ll be okay, can read more books, watch other shows, do more things on the weekend with the spouse, instead of blocking out Sunday/Saturday afternoons – “no, no, the warriors are on, can’t go out and do that”

Assuming the season plays out the way it looks, will get rid of my sky subscription after the Lions tour and the new season of Game of Thrones, will make sure to tell sky if they ask, blame it on the warriors.

As a non-aucklander I feel stink for the people who have sunk serious money into memberships and what not, but they get the right to say I told you so, if it eventually turns.

I don’t really understand how they can appear so lethargic and uninterested, but they are, year after year. It is fixable, in the sense that it’s a hard capped competition (kind of) and any team can have a season or 3 of prominence if you wait long enough, but it won’t come without major changes. Not just replacing the coach.

Won’t jump to another team, but will just keep an eye on it until things start to get better.
would rather support Newcastle, at least they put the effort in and try every game...

dean

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 13, 2016
I've got rid of Sky, given up watching. I used to have season tickets , so the decline has been steady. We are pretty much fucked. We have spent big money holding a broken team together that will not fix itself. We have continued to invest in players that can not deliver and would be better off elsewhere, not only for us but for them too. Shaun Johnson is way over hyped and not the player or personality we need but we have just resigned him as our marquee player. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is a shadow of what he was at the Roosters and is not worth his salary. Luke is past it, looks a NSW cup player every week. He is on an inflated pension. Our props are ineffective. Our young talent never reaches potential unless they leave. Our recruitment has been woeful for years, like a very poor gambler. We employ B grade coaches hoping they can perform a miracle and when we finally found a good one in Ivan Cleary, we showed him the door. The players believe they are beyond criticism and I believe hold far too much sway in the decisions and direction the club and team moves in. There are so many losers and they all back each other after every pitiful performance.
It would be nice to think we had enough young talent to rebuild as Newcastle are, but sadly we don't have it and what talent we have doe's not have the iron determination to win every game, every half. I am not sure of the solution but signing Kiwi's has and will fail. We need a hard ass coach, an Aussie that takes no shit and builds a team based on attitude , not potential talent.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
This is the worst I've seen the Warriors being bashed on all media platforms, including their own fan forum.. (I was over seas when we lost 12 straight or what ever it was, thank god.)

I can't believe the Warriors aren't fronting the media ATM, people want them out of the bloody comp! It's embarrassing to even talk about them currently, it's just crazy.

That's what happens when you show no heart, no fire, no passion.. Something is rotten at the club, and I don't think it's coach related. It's the players themselves.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
I think part of the reason I am becoming so apathetic is because I see it out on the field.

No more so than my namesake (who I'll have to change). You can see it black and white that Matulino doesn't care. Why should I care if he doesn't?

MarkW

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Orcland
That Panthers game was especially crushing and maybe more so for long time supporters. After the first 40 we were elated and beginning to believe that our team had finally turned the corner and then they just went and did a gigantic fucking U-turn in the second crashing us all back into the all too familiar wall of dejection.

The result against the Dragons just seemed inevitable and it's pretty awful to feel so pessimistic but that's just what we have come to expect since 2012 from a team that constantly promises so much and delivers so little.

It will be interesting to see what Doyle does at the end of this season though. If we continue our finals dearth will he take an axe to the roster and give SK a year to shape a new-look team or will he just say 'fuck it, I tried' and get the hell out?

I'll keep watching though. Despite my better judgement.

manunonu

Warriors Bench Player
Jun 13, 2015

totally agree as a farmer i work my guts out 70-80 hours a week( depending on time of season) and since the clubs first game in 95 i have been hooked on the highs and lows of the club thriving on the us against the aussie teams ..but recently i to have become numb watching the games buggering off with still 20mins to go is the norm lately ,where is the passion and fight, maybe these prima donnas need to come on the farm for a while getting shit and pissed on in the cowshed out in the freezing rain and mud bugger all time off,to realise how bloody lucky they are to be paid for what they do .i have about 5 or 6 warriors jerseys i will be giving away i dont want them burnt( worked to hard for that )just dont have the pride to wear something that represents not trying and giving up .

Akkerz

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 22, 2012
The edge of insanity
Spot on TD.
This situation has been developing over a number of years. It's not what we ever expected in 1995 or need now. Every business has it's ups & downs but the Warriors ongoing ignorance /mishandling of the failure of this franchise to march forward as a successful cog in the NRL wheel is unforgiveable.

I don't consider that we the fans are stupid people. Quite the opposite. We all wanted the same thing , to see our own NZ team holding that winning place.
That all our efforts - mentally, physically & financially would be rewarded with management, players & supporters all believing that on one day in Oct anything is possible . Unfortunately that seems less & less likely

Does anyone currently in Warriors management even give a toss that by turning a blind eye they are systematically killing their business & murdering our chances of ever winning a premiership in my lifetime. How can something that began with so much fire & positivity become the sad situation we lament today.

the borg

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
Yep relate to all said..

Like you guys my heart always holds hope...but in reallity why bother. Numbness has taken over now, the performances are not worth the money those players get paid, let alone the pain they put us supporters through.

Over here in Aus in the last few days the league critics want the Warriors axed from the nrl..and I dont blame them either. I believe they see problems throughout the club as a whole. Even the NZ Kwis are having the same effect on us and have been a let down in the last couple of years

So why has nz league in general made us feel like this..

Oh well the Lions tour starts soon.. could be a healthy distraction that we all need...

Reactions: bruce

Jordan G

I think what has created such a sudden backlash, even from those who were already disenchanted is the manner in how things have transpired.

Typical up and down season to begin with.

We then have two very difficult away games against two of the best sides in the comp. The Raiders and Storm. We have excellent first half performances before trying hard but fading out in the second half under the weight of bigger packs and more controlled halves/spine.

We then come back home and put in one of the best defensive efforts seen in years against the Roosters to win the game despite the same problem of forwards getting dominated.

Then the first half of the Panthers game. It was 4 weeks of building, building, could this finally be different, what a first half......and then......

Fans who had already had enough let their guard down for a split second just for the Warriors of old to kick them in the nads and then give them the middle finger while they were down checking to see if the kick had been delivered with enough force to create an unwanted sex change.

While I don't agree with every piece of frustrated emotional abuse thrown towards the club, I don't blame any fan for feeling the need to shout it out loud.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
Same here actually. Now I just don't really care. I was fine on Friday night. Apathy is exactly the right sentiment.

This actually reminds me of WCW. In 1997 they assembled probably the greatest pro wrestling roster ever. They had enormous ratings and attendances.

Within 4 years they were dead. They kept offering up bullshit until they finally keeled over.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings