General Warriors Documentary

Warrior#214

Warrior#214

Geez just watched Part 2.
Team culture
X factor talent
and tough as coach and captain.
That 01-02 team is still a blueprint.
When Campion talks about how he found it odd on arriving at the team that some boys got a soft ride from their team mates in training and he tried to make sure they all lifted and held each other to account - THATS WHATS MISSING now - surely?

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
bruce

bruce

Contributor
Geez just watched Part 2.
Team culture
X factor talent
and tough as coach and captain.
That 01-02 team is still a blueprint.
When Campion talks about how he found it odd on arriving at the team that some boys got a soft ride from their team mates in training and he tried to make sure they all lifted and held each other to account - THATS WHATS MISSING now - surely?
I haven't seen it but did they tell the story about when he put Logan Swann on his arse at training?

Reactions: 1 user
Warrior#214

Warrior#214

I haven't seen it but did they tell the story about when he put Logan Swann on his arse at training?
Haha no - but it’s a great watch. You get the sense if the owner, CEO and coach hadn’t all lacked maturity / experience at that time then that run of success would have been the start of a dynasty. They basically tasted success and then did the worst thing with it. Still it shows you can light the fire. Anderson’s approach worked short / medium term with the PI boys but he just didn’t get the Wayne Bennet father figure thing going to kick it on. The pure talent (Lautiti, Jones etc) and raw aggression (Campion, Villla, Seuseu) though - man we had a good mix!

Reactions: 2 users
FAN

FAN

2001/2002 BEST team EVER.
Sadly what we have now is, we'll, no need to keep saying it.
God they just had it going on in bucket loads back then. Other team's were dam right scared of our pack. WTF happened.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
snake77

snake77

The sad thing is Campion could of arrived over the last 5 years and the quote would of still been relevant. We have been hearing about this recently. It needed to be continued from Campion's time onwards.

Haha no - but it’s a great watch. You get the sense if the owner, CEO and coach hadn’t all lacked maturity / experience at that time then that run of success would have been the start of a dynasty. They basically tasted success and then did the worst thing with it. Still it shows you can light the fire. Anderson’s approach worked short / medium term with the PI boys but he just didn’t get the Wayne Bennet father figure thing going to kick it on. The pure talent (Lautiti, Jones etc) and raw aggression (Campion, Villla, Seuseu) though - man we had a good mix!
A good point about the maturity of the owner and CEO. This owning a sports team seemed to come to easy. They didn't mention it but at the time there were newspaper articles about them wanting a Super Rugby side as well or if that wasn't possible a rugby side in another competition. It seem like they (Cullen Sports) were taking their eye off their core business the NRL side which they had only just got up and running.

You could argue the fact things fell a part so quickly probably shows they probably didn't have the right things in place. But sport is pretty fickle a lot of sides over the years have got high up on the ladder to fall apart. Compare our ladder position from 2011 to 2012 or 2018 to 2019. The last one may end up similar by round 26 but it doesn't have the same vibe to it.

Reactions: 3 users
snake77

snake77

It was a pity 2003 was brushed over so quickly. It was pretty much one sentence then move on to 2004 where things fell apart.

I know that's a better story but the rise or that era did last a bit longer than they made out.

Reactions: 6 users
matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
2001/2002 BEST team EVER.
Sadly what we have now is, we'll, no need to keep saying it.
God they just had it going on in bucket loads back then. Other team's were dam right scared of our pack. WTF happened.

Sigh I remember a naive young me thinking “finally we have arrived” seriously thought we had that 2002 gf before the game. Sad how seven years of shitness doesn’t seem as long these days

Reactions: 3 users
Johnnyray

Johnnyray

Sigh I remember a naive young me thinking “finally we have arrived” seriously thought we had that 2002 gf before the game. Sad how seven years of shitness doesn’t seem as long these days

I know exactly what you mean. I've been watching latest documentary these last few days just like recent divorcee who hasn't learnt to let go so he sits there by himself, alone in house, watching his wedding video over and over again as it only time in his life where he was ever really truely happy, I've been doing same thing with this documentary, watching it over and over again because for me I don't think we will ever see time as good or as great as one that our team had all way back in 2001/2002/2003.

In my opinion we should of beaten Roosters in 2002 Grand Final and if not then we should of least of beaten Panthers in 2003 playoffs for Grand Final rematch against Roosters that same year. 2003 really was year we should won it all as not only were all pieces there but we somehow finally got them all to fit, and that we are still waiting for it to happen sixteen years later says more to me about this organisation as professional sports club than any documentary ever could ...

:(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
mrblonde

mrblonde

It wouldn't be right to not factor in that maybe, after six seasons, the Aussies didn't take us quite so seriously. So, yes, there were improvements made in 2001-2002, but also - at least in 01 and the first half of 02 - the Aussies didn't treat the Warriors as genuine contenders.

You could see that happening with the Penrith Panthers in 2003: at the start of the season, they were regarded as easy-beats. Until they walked off the field after being beaten by 2002's second-worst team.

On top of that, when we got that success, a lot of people let it go to their heads and thought "Got it!" instead of more-or-less "Every pre-season we have to rebuild this thing!"

Last edited:
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Lavaheads! that's awesome!

Imagine now, the uproar at the "The Angry Natives" name...
Back in the day, DB Bitter had a contest to name the teams mascot. The winner won a decent prize. Word around was that warriors had the inside running , so I entered Warriors. I also went a little radical, with the Moa Hunters - after the band, Moana and the Moa Hunters. I was surprised when that name was mentioned in the official DB press release ... The Auckland Moa Hunters!!!

• Wow
mrblonde

mrblonde

To paraphrase the Wolf from Pulp Fiction "So. Pretty please. With sugar on top. Gimme the fucking Warriors documentary."

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
pbrown01123

pbrown01123

Contributor
we're searching for the missing link - and I don't mean Dylan Napa!

• Haha
Hadyn

Hadyn

Back in the day, DB Bitter had a contest to name the teams mascot. The winner won a decent prize. Word around was that warriors had the inside running , so I entered Warriors. I also went a little radical, with the Moa Hunters - after the band, Moana and the Moa Hunters. I was surprised when that name was mentioned in the official DB press release ... The Auckland Moa Hunters!!!
The "Moa Hunters" sounds like a gang.I wonder if we would have gone better if we had called ourselves one of the other options for example the Auckland Mongrel Mob or the Auckland Headhunters ( would have given us more fear factor and street cred I suppose) or even Brown Power could have been a goer.
Only problems I see are the original franchisers wouldn't like us being on their "turf "and secondly I don't think those names would do anything to reduce the Bro factor that has been an ongoing problem in the past.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
that we are still waiting for it to happen sixteen years later says more to me about this organisation as professional sports club than any documentary ever could ...
True, those that need to just don't understand what professional sport is all about. It comes down to who really wants to win, and Politis for example really wants to win and plays the long game to do it.