Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
Out of curiosity, how many of the All Blacks get knee injuries during their campaigns? Or even for their super rugby clubs?

I do not watch much rugby but I cannot remember too many big headlines about knee injuries?

Can anyone enlighten me?

Probably due to the differences in the game...

Not sure what the current stats are, but at one point research indicated the ball is in play in the NRL for about 69 minutes per game. In Rugby, it's more like 28 minutes (I might be off a bit here, but it's good enough for the example I'm about to make).

Where do most of the ACL/twisting injuries occur? In tackles, running into contact... If the ball is in play longer - there is more chance of these injuries.

How long is the rugby season? How many of them play 24 games? Do they spend much of their training doing the same kind of wrestling/grappling that we see NRL players doing?

In rugby - how often are there 3, 4, 5 players involved in a tackle... more bodies, more twisting, more pressures applied. In the NRL - it's common place...

Bring the NRL back to everyone doing 1 on 1 tackles and you'll see less incidence of serious knee injuries...

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
I'm sure I read something after Saturdays game where Roger Tuivasa-Sheck after being taken off was on the sideline on the exercise bike, Is that a fucking smart thing to do?

depends. I'm no expert but there are some of those knee ligaments that can handle something like that, even when ruptured. It's the lateral movement that can cause pain etc. Great example a few years back - someone (I think it was Paul Gallen but might be wrong) had a tear in one of the ligaments in his knee and played and it was fine. because playing in the middle of the park, tended to be running up and back, versus side to side...

Reactions: DANZ

way2sharp

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 28, 2014
New Zealand
Looking forward to the following threads.

Sack The Mount Smart Joker.
Sack The Drummers.
Sack The Ground announcer.
Sack The Mad Butcher.
Sack The Sponsors.
Sack The Fans.

Who else could we blame?

Sack The Rugby League Gods!

FFS Sack these "Sack" threads.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
Really! Because I've poster some clangers in the past
But the issues with the injuries we've had over the last few seasons has been bugging me for a while, it can't just be bad luck imo

The knee injuries are unfortunate but not something you can really build up against. Knees just aren't meant to twist.

DANZ

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 3, 2013
The Ngani Laumape one was frustrating, he’s got a niggle, should be back soon, oh wait, he’s out for the season.

I get really jealous of the cowboys and broncos and their seemingly injury free march to another grand final, trotting out the same 17 or 18 players.
We are up to 24 players used on the season, and had something like 30 used last year.

We really should be looking at teams like this and whether they are doing anything to help prevent such injuries. I've been told that much of the work done by the Warriors medical staff is reactive as opposed to preventative - not sure how true this is, would be worth looking into.

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
Sep 25, 2012
Back in Auckland
We really should be looking at teams like this and whether they are doing anything to help prevent such injuries. I've been told that much of the work done by the Warriors medical staff is reactive as opposed to preventative - not sure how true this is, would be worth looking into.

How do you strengthen an ACL against a tear or a rupture? show me the exercises you can do for it...

Reactions: smc

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
This has to be the most stupid post I've ever read.

This is actually one of the most retarded threads I've seen in the history of this site.

Delete this fucking thread please

Don't get me started on this thread, because I'm just holding it in at the moment, this thread just sucks.

Why are people so grossly offended by this thread, obviously the title is a bit of a joke, but everyone’s quite happy to ream a player, coach or official when people think they might have made a bad call.

Why are medico’s out of bounds?

Actually genuinely interested to know.

Is it just that no one knows what they're talking about? If that was the criteria, precious little would get posted around here.

Its reasonable to speculate why the team seem to be over represented in season ending knee injuries going back years now.

Even if all its just bad luck.

Last edited:

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Looking forward to the following threads.

Sack The Mount Smart Joker.
Sack The Drummers.
Sack The Ground announcer.
Sack The Mad Butcher.
Sack The Sponsors.
Sack The Fans.

Who else could we blame?

Sack The Rugby League Gods!

FFS Sack these "Sack" threads.

Actually, where is the MSJ? And those drummers need to tone it down, keep 'em by all means but the volume's been raised this year.

Last suggestion: Sack the Bulldogs players who tackled our poor boy Roge!

That's a couple of sackings we can all get behind, right?

Why are people so grossly offended by this thread, obviously the title is a bit of a joke, but everyone’s quite happy to ream a player, coach or official when they make a bad call.

Actually genuinely interested to know.

Is it just that no one knows what they're talking about? If that was the criteria, precious little would get posted around here.

Its reasonable to speculate why the team seem to be over represented in season ending knee injuries going back years now.

Even if all its just bad luck.

It certainly is a fair point, but maybe the thread shouldn't have been started until Mayhew or some other Warriors medico puts his/her hand up and says "It was my call to let Roge back on after talking to him, maybe I should have been more cautious. My bad..." if indeed that's what happened.

Last edited:

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Simple. Bar our resident Dr Fagit are any of you who support this retarded thread a doctor? Any of you lead the country in Sports Medicine?

If anyone here is then please preach.

Being a couch coach or couch player is one thing but pretending to know more than the scientific community is beyond laughable.

Immunise your kids and let the professionals do their stuff...

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
The Ngani Laumape one was frustrating, he’s got a niggle, should be back soon, oh wait, he’s out for the season.

I get really jealous of the cowboys and broncos and their seemingly injury free march to another grand final, trotting out the same 17 or 18 players.
We are up to 24 players used on the season, and had something like 30 used last year.

And this is why some of the criticism has been crowd pitch fork chasing at best. There are many times when you go ahh, he will be able to run that off,looks perfectly innocuous. Nek Minit, goooorrrne. Then you have two other classes. Blokes who look like they're about to drop a limb. Mercy me, the pain. One class of them gets a penalty and sure as shit they're sweet, or they run it off and perform a piece of athleticism moments later that would make Magic Johnson go damn.

The field is not a triage centre. There's no x ray machines. No blood test kits. Nothing. The doctor has to narrow down the prognosis possibilities from the information. Player feedback, what they saw in the incident, pushing and prodding on the problem area, communication with the player as they try to get to their feet (unless if course it's a potential neck injury). They're essentially performing medical science tests without any technology or tests to narrow down the options. Why this stands out is this was a rare case of the doctor assessing incorrectly. Looking back at Mayhews career, he has his high reputation, proven experience and his NZ honours order because he is one of the very best at what he does. None of us are doctors to the best of my knowledge, but those who have been around the guy back the guy.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012

Could it be anything to do with the warmer climate?
I've got no idea about this shit ( looks like I'm in good company) just putting it out there.
Also when sterling was interviewing James graham the other week he brought up how they've got some sort of secretive, mad scientist thing going on there with there conditioning and injury prevention and that the amount of time Canterbury players spend on the sidelines is well below the other sides. Graham just sort of gave a knowing smile and nod.
So what the fuck do they know that we don't?

Reactions: eudebrito

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Also when sterling was interviewing James graham the other week he brought up how they've got some sort of secretive, mad scientist thing going on there with there conditioning and injury prevention and that the amount of time Canterbury players spend on the sidelines is well below the other sides. Graham just sort of gave a knowing smile and nod.
So what the fuck do they know that we don't?
When it comes to utilising sports science Des Hasler is at the forefront of it. Calves blood, beetroot juice, etc. He's the master.

TBF we're discussing diagnostics not prevention. Should be looking at both though. Love to know what Des has up his sleeve...

Reactions: Defence

Deranged

1st Grade Fringe
May 24, 2012
Simple. Bar our resident Dr Fagit are any of you who support this retarded thread a doctor? Any of you lead the country in Sports Medicine?

If anyone here is then please preach.

Being a couch coach or couch player is one thing but pretending to know more than the scientific community is beyond laughable.

Immunise your kids and let the professionals do their stuff...
Did you say give your kids autism? Next you will want fluoride in the water!

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings