General Warriors chasing Michael Witt

2big2strong_old

Lego_Man said:
It's obviously a lot harder for us to sign good top-class australian talent...because basically NRL players dont want to come and live in New Zealand. It also may have something to do with the fact that the warriors always get bagged in the australian media. But really it fundamentally comes comes down to that issue, the fact that we have to pay big overs to players to get them to move across the tasman. For sydney clubs in particular this isnt a problem.

i agree with everything you just said that time.

infact Gus Gould pointed out two weeks ago that we went over the salary cap for two years and STILL came out at the bottom of the table, saying how hard it is for us just to attract players over to NZ, more or less implying we should be given a salary cap leniancy.

2big2strong_old

Skinny_Ravs82 said:
2b2s please keep the swearing to a minimum

thank you

yeah apologies, and apologies to lego man, i was getting a little hot under the collar....

Hangover + a warriors loss = ANGER :evil:

Skinny_Ravs82

I don't think care if we get another aussie or not. We've already got McKinon for crying out loud.
And what's all this banter about the important spots being held by aussies? It's not that big a deal seriously; I know because of the team's name...etc that it should really be an nz team but the fact of the matter is I don't think it would have been that great.

Everyone whiged back in 2000/2001 that we had an unknown aussie coach taking over and yet when they had that stellar two years in 02 and 03 nobody could raelly give a stuff that Ando was an Aussie (except maybe some pursists).

Then ther's the Webby-kiwi thing. The Hunt thing...and so on. The best players you can find regardles sof where they come from (I'm sure we've had this debate before!) is no longer important. You get the best you can and mould them into the team.

sebastian_old

2black2strong said:
yeah i see where you're coming from Sebastion. I'm just annoyed at the fact we have ALWAYS settle for other peoples rejects while other teams get the cream of the crop, since 1995 we've been getting players that can't cut it at other clubs, when Price and Wiki came along i thought it was a change of the times. then Mr salary cap rears his ugly head. the reason why i said i'm turning my back is because i don't feel as a loyal fan i should have to settle for this constant despair, watching my team NEARLY get there but missing the one or two quality players we need, i came to the conclusion after reading the Witt story that things will always be like this, we've only ever bought two marquee players and that ended in disgrace. surely you all feel my pain, even if i am the only one that says 'enough is enough'

One thing i clearly agree with you is about buying aussie talent other clubs don't want, when Aussies take our stars. I'd have no problem with it if NZ"s couldn't play League, but look at Jeremy Smith, Sonny Bill, Roy Asotasi & so on. They should've be in our team instead we have paid overs & players that other clubs don't want. Our NZ talent development is discracefull, with Russell & Packer hopefull the begining of the days when we develop & actually keep our own.
Untill then we have buy guys like Witt but seriously this guy has great kicking skills we desperatly need.

Jesbass_old

2black2strong said:
Jesbass said:
2black2strong said:
hmmm. As un-fanlike as this sounds, if we sign Michael Witt, a c-grade five-eighth that is struggling to make the reserve grade run on team, i will turn my back on the warriors. I've been a loyal fan since 95 but honestly feel like i'm being cheated by the team i love. Constantly i am left hanging, watching rival clubs buy and raise white-hot talent, while we buy cheap no-names and sell off every bit of home raised talent we have. Business this and business that, i really don't care anymore. if you're going to invest in a no-name, at least get them from our own backyard. I will still watch the occasional warriors game and my heart will always be with the team, but how can i be a FANatic, if there is nothing i am fanatical about?

I think you're exaggerating, there. "Sell off every bit of home raised talent"? That's a bit dramatic.

How's that?

what player have we EVER kept from first grade debut till Retirement? tell me how we do not sell off every bit of home raised talent? tell me what EXACTLY is wrong with MY statement. if you can't don't comment.

Whoah, easy on the reigns, there. ;)

There's no need to get defensive just because I think it's a bit dramatic to turn your back on the team because you don't like their policy of purchasing players. And I do think that, without any hesitation whatsoever.

You weren't making yourself clear - you didn't indicate that you were upset that we're letting players leave before they retire - just that they were leaving. Which, in the case of Vatuvei, Tuimavave, Mannering, Ropati, Ah Van, Koopu, Faumuina, Hohaia, Wiki, Rapira, Anderson and Lauaki, this is not what is happening with them. What the future holds, we cannot know.

However, I can think of very few Australian players who have spent their entire careers at the one club, either. Those that do spring to mind are Andrew Ettinghausen, Alfie Langer and Gorden Tallis. (And possibly Cliff Lyons?) Others who appear set to join them are Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer. Most clubs lose their players at some point in their careers, so I don't quite see why you're specifically targeting the Warriors in this regard.

However, whatever you're saying, you're free to express it. (Hence why there's no need to get defensive when I do the same. ;)) And if you do lie in a bath of polka dot paint, make sure you post up a photo, lol! :lol:

2big2strong_old

lol, sorry there jesbass, that post was inbetween spews as i had a killer hangover thismorning. i felt bad a little while after i did this thread. sorry if i offended anyone and i was over exaggerating when i said i'd turn my back, that'd never happen, i was just depressed about last nights game and being hungover.

forgives?

Jesbass_old

2black2strong said:
lol, sorry there jesbass, that post was inbetween spews as i had a killer hangover thismorning. i felt bad a little while after i did this thread. sorry if i offended anyone and i was over exaggerating when i said i'd turn my back, that'd never happen, i was just depressed about last nights game and being hungover.

forgives?

Aww, does this mean no photo? :lol:

Of course, mate. I'm quick to forgive. :)

2big2strong_old

1863.jpg

here's me, i accidently pulled the plug and all the polka dots went down the drain. I swear they were there! :lol:

Jesbass_old

2black2strong said:
1863.jpg

here's me, i accidently pulled the plug and all the polka dots went down the drain. I swear they were there! :lol:

LOL! I should never have asked...

The words in the upper lefthand corner explain everything! :lol:

dazzler13_old

Gorden Tallis made a name for himself at St George before the Super League War sitting out the 1996 year so he could play for the Broncos.
In response to earlier comments, who cares if we don't have players debuting and then playing their entire pro careers at our club? What good does that do? I would suggest Stacey Jones and Awen Guttenbeil playing their entire NRL careers before leaving as their bodies declined to chase Super League $$ is far more relevant.Whether you like it or not this is professional rugby league and more and more as we learn the way to run a pro football club you will see top players being cut or released before they retire.
Michael Witt will not be signed for one year at $200,000. He will get maybe $250,000 over two years or $300,000 over three years. The Warriors will sign him to a contract extension where he gets the $200,000 owed for next year but very little for following seasons.
This guy can play ball and with a good pack in front of him and players like McKinnon, Mannering and Vatuvei outside could be a rep player of the future.
And watch Rovelli thrive playing alongside him.

Skinny_Ravs82

That's a pretty good post dazzler and you make some good points. For mind, there isn't anything wrong with taking one's pick at second stringer players. Yes some times they aren't household names and there is nothing wrong with that. If he's very capable of doing the job that a 5/8 needs to do and to be just as a steady influence to some one like Ravs then all good. I just don't see why people are still worried about this aussie vs kiwis for spots at the Warrios. What about the other clubs that have kiwis in their side? They also prevent other young aussies from moving up in the world too

Jesbass_old

dazzler13 said:
Gorden Tallis made a name for himself at St George before the Super League War sitting out the 1996 year so he could play for the Broncos.

Thanks for clarifying that, dazzler13. You learn something new every day! :D

2big2strong_old

Jesbass said:
dazzler13 said:

Thanks for clarifying that, dazzler13. You learn something new every day! :D

yes it was a clean swap for Anthony Mundine

fiamacho_old

2black2strong said:
hmmm. As un-fanlike as this sounds, if we sign Michael Witt, a c-grade five-eighth that is struggling to make the reserve grade run on team, i will turn my back on the warriors. I've been a loyal fan since 95 but honestly feel like i'm being cheated by the team i love. Constantly i am left hanging, watching rival clubs buy and raise white-hot talent, while we buy cheap no-names and sell off every bit of home raised talent we have. Business this and business that, i really don't care anymore. if you're going to invest in a no-name, at least get them from our own backyard. I will still watch the occasional warriors game and my heart will always be with the team, but how can i be a FANatic, if there is nothing i am fanatical about?

I wouldn't go as far as "turning my back" on them but I totally agree with you as far as WHY do we not spend that type of money on developing someone out of Bartercard. We do have some talented players that given the opportunity we can develop a good Stand Off.

I also get frustrated at the amount of home grown talent that always seems to end up doing well overseas - SBW, Asotasi, Benji, Eastwwod etc. Yes I also fully realise that the Warriors can't sign everybody, but damn some of the players that do end up playing off shore end becoming more than just your average NRL player.

KeepingTheFaith_old

I'm not overly concerned with the aussies V kiwis thing. What I'm concerned about is the Witt defensive thing which is a large part of why he can't crack first grade ahead of Burns. The last thing we need is a turnstile in defence.

JonB_old

What are his defensive issues? A little bit little or plain can't tackle or defending in space?