General Warriors chasing Finch and Smith

• Thread starter warriors4life_old
  • Start date

Kabba_old

Can't believe the Storm have already told Finch to look for a new club. :D

I could see him going to the Warriors to be honest. More likely than Tim Smith in my opnion.

Kid-Dynamite_old

I don't get why people would want Smith over Finch.

What's Smith done, other than fall of the radar well and truly the last couple of years!?

I think Finch is an excellent player. He's passionate and a great organiser. Has a good kicking game and passing game, and is a great competitior. He's been going great over at the Storm. i mean Inglis is a great player, but some of the distributions courtesy of Finch have been a great help into what Inglis is doing.

I'd happily have Finch over here!

romel_old

Totally disregard Brett Finch, signing Finch would be a waste of money, and a backward step for the Warriors. My preference would be Tim Smith. But if we can't get him we could go for Ben Barba, who's out of favour at the Bulldogs but consistantly craves it up in the under20s. He's a game breaker, fast, needs to work hard on his D. Good goal kicker too. Either that or Dan Hunt who I mention before.

x2

ben barba is an amazing player of the future well worth the investment.

i dono about finch. we need him? yes. is he the best on offer? no.very good defensively, but his attack is not that great.

tim smith i dono man he was good when he used to play in the nrl but hes been playing in super league with wigan. players always struggle comming back to nrl level. what if he comes to nz and hates it and gets depressed and starts drinking again?

smith/finch too much risk involved.

we can do better.

its like we are only putting in 5 bucks petrol just to get from a to b. instead of paying to fill the tank up.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kabba_old

Haha, you guys are not taking Ben Barba away from us. :D
He was immense in the Toyota Cup last year, try-scoring machine. Even moreso as he plays as a five-eighth. He looked pretty impressive on attack last season against the Cowboys when he played fullback, great footwork to turn Graham inside out. Although positionally, he has a lot to learn if he wants to play there in the future, much like Hohaia to begin with.

I have to agree with what you mean about only putting $5 in the tank to get from a to b as well. Good point.

Iafeta_old

I don't get why people would want Smith over Finch.

What's Smith done, other than fall of the radar well and truly the last couple of years!?

I think Finch is an excellent player. He's passionate and a great organiser. Has a good kicking game and passing game, and is a great competitior. He's been going great over at the Storm. i mean Inglis is a great player, but some of the distributions courtesy of Finch have been a great help into what Inglis is doing.

I'd happily have Finch over here!

2005 - 26 games, 6 tries, 40 try assists
2006 - 15 games, 2 tries, 8 try assists
2007 - 27 games, 3 tries, 27 try assists

I'd hardly say thats nothing. He also has a swag of 40/20s also.

He hasn't really fallen off the radar, he's playing for Wigan in the English Super League and doing quite well.

To be honest, I don't think Tim Smith runs the ball enough. That's his only down side. But he'd partner quite well with a guy like Hohaia who does run the ball a lot.

garyhobson_old

Yeah I was waiting for someone to dig those stats out. Tim Smith has a great ability to set up tries from his short kicks and running players into gaps. He's got great vision. He's smart and thinks like a halfback. He is clearly the better player than Brett Finch.

As you have said he doesnt run the ball enough, but when he does he can be quite dangerous. We would be the ideal partner for Lance Hohaia or Shaun Jonhson.

Jesbass_old

I'd easily take Tim Smith over Brett Finch, but that's personal preference. Mayhaps the only benefit that Finch can bring that Smith can't is that his Dad is in charge of the refs. We should get him to whisper in the old man's ear before every Warriors match, lol.

Kabba_old

I agree, if our club went for Finch, to me that is them saying - "Let's just sacrifice these next few seasons until our juniors are ready".

To me that's what bringing back Stacey Jones was. He's not an option for the future to take the club forward, but more a quick fix to a growing problem, one which can only be internally fixed with time.

Finch is, however, a better option than Stacey Jones in my opinion.

garyhobson_old

Quick fix? Stacey hasnt fixed anything. It's just made it worse if anything. Cant say we were better off this year than last.

Kabba_old

Quick fix? Stacey hasnt fixed anything. It's just made it worse if anything. Cant say we were better off this year than last.

Read my post properly in relation to Spence's, I don't mean he's been brought in as a short term thing and fixed the problem, I mean that the intention of bringing him in can only have been as a quick fix to the problem at halfback, rather than anything long term, like someone said above, getting from a to b with $5 fuel rather than filling up the tank.

Northern_Union

Read my post properly in relation to Spence's, I don't mean he's been brought in as a short term thing and fixed the problem, I mean that the intention of bringing him in can only have been as a quick fix to the problem at halfback, rather than anything long term, like someone said above, getting from a to b with $5 fuel rather than filling up the tank.

I think you'll find we were in almost the same position on the ladder at this time last year.