General Warriors chasing Finch and Smith

• Thread starter warriors4life_old
  • Start date

Tajhay_old

Totally disregard Brett Finch, signing Finch would be a waste of money, and a backward step for the Warriors. My preference would be Tim Smith. But if we can't get him we could go for Ben Barba, who's out of favour at the Bulldogs but consistantly craves it up in the under20s. He's a game breaker, fast, needs to work hard on his D. Good goal kicker too. Either that or Dan Hunt who I mention before.

i see barba as more of a 5/8 than an organising halfback which is what the warriors need. granted his is a gamebreaker...but i feel we need an experienced tough halfback at the helm and let the other players in the backline play their natural attacking game. i feel we are heading towards the opposite way...

Cheops_old

Much much prefer Tim Smith as long as his behaviour is ok. Finch is not terrible, but I doubt he would be much of an improvement over an aging Jones anyway.

I also agree on having a crack on Ben Hunt. I've been saying for a while that he's bound to be looking elsewhere if Lockyer and Wallace are signed on for another 2 or so years. Mind you, I'm not sure a young half with potential would ever really develop here right now

jahc_old

It doesn't matter who we sign. They'll be let go relatively quickly because they're not Thurston and Lockeyer. The NZ sporting public will make sure of that.

Spence_old

Much much prefer Tim Smith as long as his behaviour is ok. Finch is not terrible, but I doubt he would be much of an improvement over an aging Jones anyway.

I also agree on having a crack on Ben Hunt. I've been saying for a while that he's bound to be looking elsewhere if Lockyer and Wallace are signed on for another 2 or so years. Mind you, I'm not sure a young half with potential would ever really develop here right now

We have a young half with potential in Shaun Johnson. I guess depth can't hurt though. I don't think we need to worry about Tim Smith misbehaving, I haven't heard anything from England to suggest he is being naughty. Perhaps one of our english posters can enlighten us more?

Lego_Man_old

Cos we're the Warriors, fastest way to kill a young half's career is to come here.

garyhobson_old

I reakon they could. They are the feeder club to the Warriors. That should be their main objective, its not like they are top of the table in the nsw cup or near the top.

garyhobson_old

Where is Liam Foran playing now? Club footy for Ellerslie Eagles or what?

Spence_old

Until Henderson and Fien rejoin the first team, I guess so. Godinet is being played on the bench, instead of Foran.

garyhobson_old

Until Henderson and Fien rejoin the first team, I guess so. Godinet is being played on the bench, instead of Foran.

Realistically Nathan Fien should be starting at halfback and Ian Henderson at hooker. They are probably the best out of a bad bunch. Even though they are out of form. Personally I wouldnt be playing Nathan Fien for the rest of the year because he wont be with us next season or the future, whereas some of the younger guys will be, so i would be giving them a go or any other player who is good enough to play there and will be with us next year, after all we are trying to rebuild and create new combinations.

Northern_Union

I reakon they could. They are the feeder club to the Warriors. That should be their main objective, its not like they are top of the table in the nsw cup or near the top.

They are a stand alone team i would have thought. And until the Warriors start paying there transfer fee's i doubt the ARL will do them to many favours.

jahc_old

Realistically Nathan Fien should be starting at halfback and Ian Henderson at hooker. They are probably the best out of a bad bunch. Even though they are out of form. Personally I wouldnt be playing Nathan Fien for the rest of the year because he wont be with us next season or the future, whereas some of the younger guys will be, so i would be giving them a go or any other player who is good enough to play there and will be with us next year, after all we are trying to rebuild and create new combinations.

I dont agree with the strategy of signing a player for x years, and then playing him for only x-1 years. You gotta look to the future of course, but what about the present?!

Spence_old

So just because it was Menzies last season in '08, Manly shouldn't have played him? I agree with jahc, if a player is good enough, play him.

warriors4life_old

Looks like we are going after Finch hard:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sunday-news/sport/2498833/Warriors-target-Brett-Finch

THE Warriors' search for a marquee playmaker for next season could be over with revelations the club has put a contract on the table for Storm No 6 Brett Finch.

But big-spending Super League clubs are also in the process of talking turkey with Finch and chances are the cash on offer from England will be enough to convince him not to come to New Zealand in 2010.

Speculation has been rife for weeks about how the Warriors will bolster their playmaking ranks next year.

Finch's name along with Tim Smith, Matt Orford and Ben Roberts was suggested in this paper on May 24 as a possible recruitment target.

Sunday News understands Finch is the man the Warriors want and yesterday his agent Steve Gillis the same man who engineered Simon Mannering's recent contract upgrade confirmed the ball was in his client's court.

"I couldn't say he's definitely interested in moving to New Zealand but at the same time I couldn't say he's not interested," Gillis said.

"The situation is we are a fair way down the track with England and they have probably got their nose in front right now.

"The situation with the Warriors is that if Brett pretty much wants to go there they are prepared to nut out a deal."

Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah confirmed the club had "had some dialogue with Finch's agent" but refused to comment when asked by Sunday News whether a deal was on the table.

Reports from the UK have speculated the former Eel and Rooster will find a home in the Super League next year, potentially at Wigan, Warrington or Huddersfield.

It's understood at least two clubs have tabled offers to him and at this stage he's more likely to move to England than New Zealand.

"It's going to take a bit more time before Brett makes a decision on what he's going to be doing next year," Gillis said.

"I'm working through some stuff with the English clubs at the moment, of which there are about four who are keen.

"They're in the process of tabling offers and Brett is genuinely interested in going overseas."

If Finch snubs the money on offer from the UK, Mt Smart Stadium looms as his new stomping ground.

But if he signs with the Warriors that doesn't necessarily mean club legend Stacey Jones won't also be re-signed for the 2010 season.

Finch can play both standoff and halfback and Scurrah said Jones' future was yet to be determined.

The Warriors have been on the hunt for a marquee half for more than a year. Last year, they attempted to lure Bulldogs star Brett Kimmorley, Storm halfback Cooper Cronk and Storm captain Cameron Smith a hooker across the Tasman. They also put an offer on the table for former Bronco turned Catalans halfback Casey McGuire.

This year, they made a play for Titans star Scott Prince before he re-signed with the Gold Coast.

Earlier in the season, Finch shocked Eels officials by asking for an immediate release from his contract because he was unhappy at the club. The Melbourne Storm immediately swooped on him and in round seven he made his debut in the purple jersey, ironically against the Warriors.

LordGnome_old

It looks like we have tabled an offer to every half in the NRL, and nobody wants to come!

LordGnome_old

The Blues have offered Dan Carter $400k - what would that be with his all black payments on top, $800k or somewhere similar?

how long would it take us to turn him into a pedestrian who creates nothing.......

Magic Stick_old

Please Brett Finch go to the UK super league....cant believe they want this bum

Iafeta_old

Agreed. Don't want him. Get Tim Smith instead. Finch is a petulant baby and frankly I just don't rate him as a player.