01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
Manu can't tackle for sht aye.

No one talks about it because he scores try's

Last week no Try's .....four missed tackles

I want a national inquiry !

But seriously move the man to the forwards and select Wingers that tackle , we'll win more games than Manu has helped or been the reason for us winning.

Reactions: Hitman82
Makes your heart feel good to read these sorts of articles.

Warriors-Storm clash the greatest ever?

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 - 3:00 PM

By Brad Fittler
Today I'm going to talk about the best regular season game I've ever seen.
It happened on Sunday, between the Warriors and the Melbourne Storm. It was absolutely unbelievable.
It was a perfect Sunday afternoon in front of the beautiful backdrop of Mount Smart Stadium, with two teams needing to win: the Melbourne Storm chasing a top two finish and the Warriors sitting outside the top eight (with a poor for-and-against) and needing to win just about every game from here on in to grab a spot in the finals.
The first try was one of the slickest tries I've ever seen. It seemed remarkable. The hands, the delivery as the Warriors swept the ball to the right with a succession of quick passes for Ngani Laumape to score in the corner. It was a great way to set up the rest of the game.
At no stage did the game ever waver from an absolute 10 out of 10 level.
Then the second try came for the Kiwis. It started when Kevin Locke retrieved a kick between his goalposts, broke through and run upfield past the halfway line. On the next play Elijah Taylor showed some beautiful hands to flick the ball on and set up another great catch-and-pass try for Laumape.
It was just incredible. I was just sitting there watching it with my mouth open.
I didn't get to watch the game until about 10pm after I got home from Newcastle after covering the Knights-Roosters game. I don't think I said a word, and I didn't move for an hour an half.
I was even getting a kick out of the goalkicking – what's happening to me?
Just when you thought the Warriors were just going to keep pounding the Storm, Cooper Cronk stepped up and pounded one of the best 40/20s you've ever seen. He just nailed it, and then jogged down to the scrum like the coolest cat in the universe.
Everything about this game was class.
The Storm scored immediately from one of their new little scrum plays, tightening up their attack, producing some sharp passing and hitting the ball at speed to allow Justin O'Neill to get around the outside and score an inch inside the corner post.
The next set of six you could see Kevin Locke thinking about Cooper Cronk's last kick, and all of a sudden Cameron Smith jumps out of dummy half and puts a left-foot 40/20 kick down the other side of the field. Melbourne came up with a similar play out of the scrum and almost scored again but this time were denied by a Dane Nielsen tackle that pretty much turned the game around.
From there the game never seemed to die. It was absolute quality the whole time.
About eight minutes out from halftime Thomas Leuluai scored my individual try of the year, coming off his left foot twice and straightening up to beat six Melbourne Storm players and drag Billy Slater over the line. It was an incredible display of determination.
When the second half began you were wondering, could this possibly continue? You were waiting for a few errors to come into the game, or waiting for the tempo to drop. But it just didn't happen.
Three minutes in, there was arguably the tackle of the year. After watching Shaun Johnson last week leave everyone for dead and score a 90-metre try, you thought it was coming again when Locke swooped on a ball in the Warriors' half and offloaded to Johnson, who was away. He stood up Billy Slater and headed for the corner only for Will Chambers to come from the opposite side of the field and tackle him over the sideline a metre out. Incredible.
The Storm came back, as they always seem to do. Billy Slater scored a try in the corner, and Smith kicked the conversion from the sideline. Then Maurice Blair scored to narrow the gap to two points with half an hour left, only for Konrad Hurrell to give the hosts some breathing space again.
Cronk completed a great long-range try with five minutes left to keep the Storm in the hunt, before Locke brought down a Johnson bomb to score the match-winner in the dying moments. It was a classic.
If the Warriors can continue on their roll, you wonder where it's going to stop.
At the moment their commitment to each other is terrific, and they've somehow found a gameplan in amongst an unbelievably entertaining brand of football.
So that was my best regular season club game ever. It's impossible to compare it to grand finals or even finals games, when there's a lot more at stake and doing great things under extreme pressure is much more celebrated.
But in terms of pure quality and entertainment, it's hard to go past Sunday's classic at Mount Smart.
Catch Brad Fittler and the gang on the Clubhouse, live on SportsFan at 8pm, Mondays to Thursdays.
Follow Brad on Twitter @BradFittler or SportsFan on Twitter @sportsfan_live.

Source: https://www.sportsfan.com.au/warrio...test-ever/tabid/91/newsid/109454/default.aspx

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Manu can't tackle for sht aye.

No one talks about it because he scores try's

Last week no Try's .....four missed tackles

I want a national inquiry !

But seriously move the man to the forwards and select Wingers that tackle , we'll win more games than Manu has helped or been the reason for us winning.

hey sup - surprise I disagree with that statement.

Remember the one on one try saver Manu made. Before u criticise him for tackles not made - take a look at the numbers and positions of the storm players each time, he might have tackled a player in at least 2 of those situations but it is unlikely it would have stopped the play. I can see how ME is using him and Danger and honestly it is causing major issues for the opposition. I for one am very happy to leave him there

Reactions: Sup42
Locke's try saver was hard to call. On the base of it, Locke hitting him dislodged the ball. I don't have a problem with that as a Warriors fan, and as a Storm fan I guess I'd take it as fair enough. Although I can't guarantee that.

However - if they called it a penalty, not exactly sure why it wasn't a penalty try. Anyway, moving on.

I was a bit worried with Cronk scoring his try when Friend dived into him with the knees. Now I know no one completely understands the 8 point try rule, but if one was given there I wouldn't have been surprised. Seemed a bit careless from him - and looks worse and worse every time I see it.

The photo in this article from sundays game says it all
Coach Craig Bellamy has labelled Melbourne's NRL draw one of the toughest they've ever had.
After four losses in their past five games, the defending champions face another huge challenge against the resurgent Raiders in Canberra on Sunday afternoon.
In recent years the Storm had two byes in the State of Origin period, which eased the pain of losing their "spine" in stars Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith, as well as backrower Ryan Hoffman to state duty.
But this year they only had one bye, before the opening Origin on June 5.
A run of four away games from five, including Sunday's Canberra match, hasn't helped with the physical and mental toll on the players.
"I think this one of the toughest draws we've ever had, especially with the travel," said Bellamy.
"The draw hasn't been too kind to us, playing away is pretty taxing when you've got guys coming through Origin and then we're travelling nearly every week so that's been hard."
https://www.nrl.com/storm-travel-tough-road-to-title-defence/tabid/10874/newsid/73815/default.aspx

The photo in this article from sundays game says it all
Coach Craig Bellamy has labelled Melbourne's NRL draw one of the toughest they've ever had.
After four losses in their past five games, the defending champions face another huge challenge against the resurgent Raiders in Canberra on Sunday afternoon.
In recent years the Storm had two byes in the State of Origin period, which eased the pain of losing their "spine" in stars Billy Slater, Cooper Cronk and Cameron Smith, as well as backrower Ryan Hoffman to state duty.
But this year they only had one bye, before the opening Origin on June 5.
A run of four away games from five, including Sunday's Canberra match, hasn't helped with the physical and mental toll on the players.
"I think this one of the toughest draws we've ever had, especially with the travel," said Bellamy.
"The draw hasn't been too kind to us, playing away is pretty taxing when you've got guys coming through Origin and then we're travelling nearly every week so that's been hard."
https://www.nrl.com/storm-travel-tough-road-to-title-defence/tabid/10874/newsid/73815/default.aspx

Yeah. Well I wonder if Bellamy has ever imagined what it would be like having to move entire countries for away games before the rumours of us signing him..

Reactions: Sup42

gREVUS

Contributor
Yeah. Well I wonder if Bellamy has ever imagined what it would be like having to move entire countries for away games before the rumours of us signing him..

got to remember the start that the storm had coming back from England and straight into the comp, it really hasn't been an easy draw for them. Still I cant say that it is harder than ours but they really haven't had it easy

hey sup - surprise I disagree with that statement.

Remember the one on one try saver Manu made. Before u criticise him for tackles not made - take a look at the numbers and positions of the storm players each time, he might have tackled a player in at least 2 of those situations but it is unlikely it would have stopped the play. I can see how ME is using him and Danger and honestly it is causing major issues for the opposition. I for one am very happy to leave him there

I want to join this discussion in saying that very rarely does manu ever get someone running straight at him, he has because of his position defend laterally going across his body most the time to get his target who are either on the inside or outside of him, for a big man he does his best and repays through his attack,

Reactions: edd

gREVUS

Contributor
I want to join this discussion in saying that very rarely does manu ever get someone running straight at him, he has because of his position defend laterally going across his body most the time to get his target who are either on the inside or outside of him, for a big man he does his best and repays through his attack,

although I see u mean your happy with his position do u think that his lateral tackling is below par or acceptable?

Must be because for once of the few times in history - the Storm aren't cheating the cap ;)

I reckon he is awesome for staying positive with the job he's been given. No other player on the team is defending a position that doesn't suit them. I reckon he should be defending inside Danger and Johnson marking the wing, then switching back on attack.

Best of both worlds. Johnson can keep up with the grasshoppers easy and Manu can smoke guys running straight at him...

although I see u mean your happy with his position do u think that his lateral tackling is below par or acceptable?
I would say it is unacceptable for any winger. Being the size he is is no excuse and he is below par generally. But I don't think there is a winger his size who hasn't had the same issues even big Jonah had trouble turning and reading it properly. But under these circumstances do we want manu there because of his plus side.

Agreed, the inconsistencies are absurd. If the NRL were awarding a penalty try for incidents such as the Locke one, there would be dozens more awarded every season. They err on the conservative side, which is why acts like this are not punished as severely as made possible by the rulebook.

The only time you can guarantee a penalty try is when a player is cms from planting a loose ball, with no opposition player near it, when taken out from behind with obvious intent.

8 point tries are another rule rarely enforced. There are loads of high tackles, knees, sliding feet, etc committed on players in the act of scoring - but they are very rarely awarded.

Similarly, you can only guarantee an 8 point try if a player is absolutely mangled by an illegal act while planting the ball. IE, knocked out by a massive swinging arm.

NRL referees are very conservative when it comes to awarding either of these, because of how seriously they can effect the outcome of a game.

Another stupid thing is, if we were 30 ahead of the Storm I suspect a penalty try would be far more likely. Tries which are normally sent to the video ref are often just blown when they aren't a risk of impacting on the outcome of a game.

The other side of this is if he had scored the try, Locke, like Finch and the way he came in wouldn't have even been noticed.