Post Match Warriors Beat Storm 30-22!

Game Information

Vs

01 Jan 1970 12:00
minute

Who was your MoM?

• Total voters
Meh, we had at least 3 high tackles on our players which were not penalised. I can live with us getting a fair hearing over the Locke incident. Penalty tries are EXTREMELY rare and without obvious intent to lead with the knees, they were never going to award one.

Danpatmac

Meh, we had at least 3 high tackles on our players which were not penalised. I can live with us getting a fair hearing over the Locke incident. Penalty tries are EXTREMELY rare and without obvious intent to lead with the knees, they were never going to award one.

this is the thing, does the actual rule of the game say there must be intent?

this is the thing, does the actual rule of the game say there must be intent?

Unsure, but in the game situation they are not going to award a penalty try unless the incident looks absolutely blatant. Whether this is right or wrong, doesn't matter. Intent isn't something you can prove anyway; it's down to interpretation. They obviously didn't interpret this as a serious enough foul play to warrant a PT... and I agree.
My thoughts on the situation reversed: I'd want a penalty try, but wouldn't be surprised at all when it wasn't blown.

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
O'Neill cuts in and dives very suddenly, to avoid contacting him Locke would have had to hurdle him basically, which he didn't do so fair penalty.
It's similar when slater clips Locke, he goes go ground pretty quickly, Slater would have had to make an effort to avoid clipping him, but as that wasn't viewed in slow motion they are never going to call it up.

Reactions: Hitman82
Yes the support has grown and even my old mate Freddie tipped us to beat the Storm last week and Sterlo has always been a fan.
The Storm, like the Broncos did for a long while, receive a fair bit of leeway as they are in an AFL fortress.
The idea of the Broncos and the Storm teams was to spread the game right across Australia and if the Storm continued to lose then Melbourne fans would quickly switch back to AFL and hence the game would not grow.
NZ on the other hand has a fairly good chunk of league players and fans so we do not need the special treatment and therefore have to stand on our own two feet.

Well we've been standing up nice and tall lately. I've been very impressed with our boys bouncing back from bad ref calls, and from strong periods of opposition dominance. It seems like we've forgotten how to give up and just keep punching right till the death. If I had to guess I'd say I think that's why we're winning now...

O'Neill cuts in and dives very suddenly, to avoid contacting him Locke would have had to hurdle him basically, which he didn't do so fair penalty.
It's similar when slater clips Locke, he goes go ground pretty quickly, Slater would have had to make an effort to avoid clipping him, but as that wasn't viewed in slow motion they are never going to call it up.

Slater is a grub so anything he does has a grubby intent.

Well we've been standing up nice and tall lately. I've been very impressed with our boys bouncing back from bad ref calls, and from strong periods of opposition dominance. It seems like we've forgotten how to give up and just keep punching right till the death. If I had to guess I'd say I think that's why we're winning now...
and pretty much the opposite was true earlier in the year when were losing the close ones - bad calls, heads go down and not playing for a full 80 minutes. Amazing what a bit of confidence in yourself, your teammates, the coach and his structures can do to a team. Especially when you consider it's still the majority of the team that fell apart big time at the end of last season, with two new established key players (Danger and TL), some new ex-Juniors players really stepping up, players in their best position, younger players coming to grips with what is required off them, and a new coach and coaching staff.

We make the Top Eight and I can't imagine too many teams wanting to play us - especially when you consider that there is still so much more improvement to happen with the team!

well that picture has two players offside. I was always taught to be in line with the referee regardless of how far back it is. That looks like a fair panalty.
I think that was the point Mannering was trying to make, there was a passage of play where the ref was standing 12-13metres back, and that sort of game for ruck speed suits the Storm a lot more than it suits us.

I think that was the point Mannering was trying to make, there was a passage of play where the ref was standing 12-13metres back, and that sort of game for ruck speed suits the Storm a lot more than it suits us.

Yeah, there are often complaints about referees keeping an uneven 10 metres, too. But the rule is you have to be level with the referees' interpretation of the 10m.

Anyone got a link for the post match press conference ? Amazing Matt Elliot wasn't there.

One can only imagine the emotion of achieving a personal first ( beating Bellamy ) after sixteen attempts would have been overwhelming , he will be believing that he can do it now....knock off the next hurdle......winning a finals game......winning THE finals game.

Must be one hell of a rush for a mind kunfu sort of fullah

All this talk of knees reminds me of the ghost sending off of Wade McKinnon, where the referees absolutely hated him and one day they sent him off when he knelt down next to a player that had just been tackled and got sent off for coming in with the knees (even though no contact was made whatsoever) and when Wade was sent he yelled out "Knees?!" Ahhh good times.[DOUBLEPOST=1375140311][/DOUBLEPOST]
Yeah, there are often complaints about referees keeping an uneven 10 metres, too. But the rule is you have to be level with the referees' interpretation of the 10m.
Yea I guess my point was Simon was hoping a quick chat would alert the referee to the fact that we would prefer to not stand back 12, if he could be so kind as to make it 10 for the rest of the game... "that would be greeeeat".

Anyone got a link for the post match press conference ? Amazing Matt Elliot wasn't there.

One can only imagine the emotion of achieving a personal first ( beating Bellamy ) after sixteen attempts would have been overwhelming , he will be believing that he can do it now....knock off the next hurdle......winning a finals game......winning THE finals game.

Must be one hell of a rush for a mind kunfu sort of fullah

I think the emotion of the occasion, plus not feeling well, meant he decided not to attend.

Reactions: snake77 and Sup42
Yea I guess my point was Simon was hoping a quick chat would alert the referee to the fact that we would prefer to not stand back 12, if he could be so kind as to make it 10 for the rest of the game... "that would be greeeeat".

Yeah, definitely. I didn't pay much attention to the 10 in this game, but the unfortunate part of the "referees' interpretation" being the rule is they can often keep an unequal 10.

One team can be forced back 12m, and the other 8m... sounds farcical, but I have seen it happen.

Not sure whether this is partly due to referees having a biased notion of certain teams being line-jumpers or whether the dual referees swapping roles during the game could lead to it?

There seems to be a bit of a ground swell over here with a lot of people having the Warriors as their second preferred team. That is because of the brand they play and people genuinely want to see them in the 8. People like Tallis are talking them up now and whereas before the refs could take the 'too bad, too sad' approach as the Warriors are in NZ, now they have support they have to be on their games because now they will cop Aussie flak for their performances. All good.

Isn't it interesting Melbournewarriorfan how a huge percentage of Aussies pick the Warriors as their back-up team rather than another Aussie club!

I've always believed that deep down (abyss deep) they respect & admire us, though even a Colt 45 pressed to the temple could not get them to freely admit it!

Reactions: Sup42
Yeah, definitely. I didn't pay much attention to the 10 in this game, but the unfortunate part of the "referees' interpretation" being the rule is they can often keep an unequal 10.

One team can be forced back 12m, and the other 8m... sounds farcical, but I have seen it happen.

Not sure whether this is partly due to referees having a biased notion of certain teams being line-jumpers or whether the dual referees swapping roles during the game could lead to it?
Yea a mate of mine ran some stats on whistle blowing over a 10 week period and he reckoned that one referee calls around 70% of the penalties in each game since the 2 ref system came in. When I told him to go back and account for variables such as how long in each game, each referee was standing on the defensive side of the ball he told me to "get f***ed".

Yea a mate of mine ran some stats on whistle blowing over a 10 week period and he reckoned that one referee calls around 70% of the penalties in each game since the 2 ref system came in. When I told him to go back and account for variables such as how long in each game, each referee was standing on the defensive side of the ball he told me to "get f***ed".

I still think there is a bias that referees typically hold... Melbourne tend to concede fewer penalties, the warriors, roosters and raiders tend to concede more. It used to be something along the lines of "the sides with big packs try to slow down the play of the ball to save more energy, they're also offside because they're not back the 10"... but it never changed when the warriors (at least) got a more mobile pack.

I don't think it's necessarily bias towards a team or another (although when I'm a few beers in I always seem to take it personally) - I know jersey colours allegedly play a part in it subconsciously. Based on that study a few years back (trying to find it) - I always wondered how it would apply to league (given the warriors and kiwis both play in black)... the link to the study is here: https://www.npr.org/2012/04/26/151383136/power-dis-play-teams-in-black-draw-more-penalties

I still think there is a bias that referees typically hold... Melbourne tend to concede fewer penalties, the warriors, roosters and raiders tend to concede more. It used to be something along the lines of "the sides with big packs try to slow down the play of the ball to save more energy, they're also offside because they're not back the 10"... but it never changed when the warriors (at least) got a more mobile pack.

I don't think it's necessarily bias towards a team or another (although when I'm a few beers in I always seem to take it personally) - I know jersey colours allegedly play a part in it subconsciously. Based on that study a few years back (trying to find it) - I always wondered how it would apply to league (given the warriors and kiwis both play in black)... the link to the study is here: https://www.npr.org/2012/04/26/151383136/power-dis-play-teams-in-black-draw-more-penalties

It doesn't apply in rugby union - the princesses rarely get penalised.

Reactions: Jay M and Sup42
Isn't it interesting Melbournewarriorfan how a huge percentage of Aussies pick the Warriors as their back-up team rather than another Aussie club!

I've always believed that deep down (abyss deep) they respect & admire us, though even a Colt 45 pressed to the temple could not get them to freely admit it!

I was told by an Aussie mate that really we should be one country. He choked when I said how he would like being a Kiwi and Australia renamed the West Island, despite case after case of Kiwis stuffing up over here, they still like us. Besides as my Storm mate says, most of the Aussie teams are as boring as bat shit so get the Warriors in there to have a go.

Reactions: Xfactor and Sup42
I read a fan comment on another site ( can't remember which club / Broncos HQ bandwagon 2nd team thread I think ) and this person listed the reasons they can't stand the Warriors ( many Broncos fans have a real soft spot for the Warriors ) but what caught my eye was the comment :

" and their captain is a sook "

Good stuff , Mannering is the new Ennis / the knew Gidley......good

To quote Mannering " Is it his fault he dived in front of his knees ? "

Strange quote that one from the Broncos fan to compare Mannering to Ennis. Mannering approaches the refs usually quite calm; questioning things and buying some time for his teams.

Ennis like a most of the Aussie captains approach the ref angry and ready for a confrontation.

I often tease my work mates how our rugby is supposed to be some competitive etc and you see the captains with their polite voices "Excuse me sir but..." then you turn the channel and you see Ennis charging at the ref ready to argue.

Mannering questioning the refs like Cameron Smith probably helps us more then some of the other clubs.

Reactions: Sup42