General Warriors 2015 Stats

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Wasnt going to do this thread this year as I might not have time to do it justice but saw the following article and thought it would be nice to have some coming through.

Site has a comprehensive stat tab as well that you can play around with...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/stats/

STAT SHEET | Tuimoala Lolohea
Mon 9th March, 09:00AM

After a week hit with three hamstring injuries, Tui Lolohea found himself making his first start at fullback and starred with the ball in hand, leading the team in running metres. Take a look at some of his numbers from the game below.

Minutes | 80

Runs | 17

Metres Gained | 213

Tackle Breaks | 10

Kick Returns| 8

Kick Return Metres | 144

Tackles | 5

Missed Tackles | 0

https://www.warriors.co.nz/news/2015/03/09/stat_sheet_tui_loloh.html

Stats are probably from Champion Data whereas most stats you will see on this site will be from www.nrlstats.com

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Round 1 vs Newcastle Knights

Warriors vs Knight Rnd 1 2015 match stats.png

Pretty disappointing result with a lot of the positive stats actually going in our favour. More sets, less tackles made, less missed tackles, more linebreaks, possessions, penalties and even a sin bin.

Where I believe we let ourselves down is handling errors which had us have 15 unused plays more than the Knights. Thats 3 sets we coughed up in chances. A lot of the time very early in the set. Especially in the 2nd half as the following progression flow chart shows.

Warriors vs Knight Rnd 1 2015 Progression stats.PNG

Watching the replay today we had so many half chances off great breaks that could very well have swung the momentum in our favour. At 14-12 to the Warriors we had two great breaks that unfortunately didnt result in tries. After a barrage of repeat sets the Knights go in and the Warriors seem to give up hope after that. Three tries in the last 22 minutes isnt a good look for our fitness levels.

Warriors vs Knight Rnd 1 2015 When stats.png

Warriors vs Knight Rnd 1 2015 Where stats.png

Sample sizes of course are small for the Where and When stats but they do start to tell a story after a while...

A worrying stat is when we drop the ball. The majority of our incomplete sets were at the end of each half.
To me this means we were short on match fitness. Which is understandable as our last trial was 3 weeks earlier against the Panthers.I don't count intersquad as a real trial).
Week 2 let's hope to see an improvement in how we close.

I have been critical of Matulino in the past and been one of a chorus asking him to up his game. Well this year he has. I have compiled a table on the 5 most important props for 5 teams. James Graham, Andrew Fifita, Josh McGuire, Matt Scott and Ben

Matulino. All play the same position but have different roles. Graham is a ball playing prop who hits it up but also put guys through holes, McGuire is of your traditional mould, Scott now plays more of a link role and Fifita is relied upon to carry his team.

upload_2015-3-16_10-8-56.png

(These numbers are combined for the first two rounds from nrlstats.com)
What we can see is that Matulino is the best all round prop statistically. His offensive production is beating Fifita, with less errors and at a better average.
Compared to previous years this is Matulinos best start in terms of production and meters.

upload_2015-3-16_10-12-1.png

(These numbers are from this site and are combined totals for rounds one and two).
From this you can see he has already started fitter and is getting more involved in both defence and offence.
If Matulino can continue this trend, he will get double teamed more which will allow him to pass before the line and create space for our little men or he can be used as a decoy allowing Tomkins out the back to ball play or slice through.
Its still early days, but if Matulino continues with this kind of work rate the odds of us winning go up.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Awesome work stacky18. Love seeing comparisons between our players and the best out there. I take it Ben is back to eating his pasta salads before games now.

Heres a break down of the Warriors props for the last two games...

Warriors 2015 Rnd 2 Props.png

Reactions: hotdogRL
I have been critical of Matulino in the past and been one of a chorus asking him to up his game. Well this year he has. I have compiled a table on the 5 most important props for 5 teams. James Graham, Andrew Fifita, Josh McGuire, Matt Scott and Ben

Matulino. All play the same position but have different roles. Graham is a ball playing prop who hits it up but also put guys through holes, McGuire is of your traditional mould, Scott now plays more of a link role and Fifita is relied upon to carry his team.

View attachment 14116

(These numbers are combined for the first two rounds from nrlstats.com)
What we can see is that Matulino is the best all round prop statistically. His offensive production is beating Fifita, with less errors and at a better average.
Compared to previous years this is Matulinos best start in terms of production and meters.

View attachment 14117
(These numbers are from this site and are combined totals for rounds one and two).
From this you can see he has already started fitter and is getting more involved in both defence and offence.
If Matulino can continue this trend, he will get double teamed more which will allow him to pass before the line and create space for our little men or he can be used as a decoy allowing Tomkins out the back to ball play or slice through.
Its still early days, but if Matulino continues with this kind of work rate the odds of us winning go up.

That's an awesome assessment.

Reactions: mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Our left side is so much better than our right at the moment - were are the Manu haters these days?
Typically Manu Vatuvei's left edge has for the last few seasons usually had the wood on the right edge but this year has seen a huge gulf in difference. Thanks largely to Chad Townsend and especially Ryan Hoffman who has scored a try a game on the left side.

Left and Right Edge Breakdown Rnd 3.png

Looking at the side by side comparison of the two edges the left has by far the better stats in all the key indicators but the tackle stats which are largely due to Bodene Thompson's efforts. The difference in minutes is due to Konrad Hurrell's injury.

KEY STATS FOR LEFT EDGE vs RIGHT EDGE (minus kicking stats)
  • circle-tick-16.png
    7 more tries
  • circle-tick-16.png
    27 more receives
  • circle-tick-16.png
    25 more runs
  • circle-tick-16.png
    361 more metres
  • circle-tick-16.png
    4 more try assists
  • Same number of offloads (6)
  • circle-tick-16.png
    10 more tackle breaks
  • circle-tick-16.png
    9 more line breaks
  • circle-tick-16.png
    1 more line break assist
  • error.png
    54 less tackles
  • error.png
    11 less one on one tackles
  • circle-tick-16.png
    5 less ineffective tackles
  • circle-tick-16.png
    8 less missed tackles
  • circle-tick-16.png
    3 less errors
  • circle-tick-16.png
    2 less penalties
Regardless of how you look at it the left edge is shitting on the right. As to why, well thats a discussion for another thread but the stats couldnt speak more loudly on this issue...

Forgot to mention, Townsend is much improved this season - hopefully he can keep it up as he was mid for most of 2014.
Dont really need stats to back up what is plain to see with the naked eye but this is a stat thread so what the hell. Inruin Inruin youre free to use the following for your biweekly Chad Townsend Fan Club newsletter.

Chad vs Shaun Rnd 3.png

Interestingly Chad Townsend has the better stats while receiving the ball less and running the same amount of times. As we've seen Chad has made some great darts from dummy half and his 5 runs vs Shaun Johnsons 3 has gained him 70 metres over Shaun's 23....

KEY CHAD vs SHAUN STATS
  • Same minutes (240)
  • Both have no tries
  • error.png
    Less receives
  • Same runs/hit ups (20)
  • circle-tick-16.png
    89 more metres
  • circle-tick-16.png
    4 more try assists
  • circle-tick-16.png
    2 more off loads
  • circle-tick-16.png
    2 more tackle breaks
  • circle-tick-16.png
    2 more line breaks
  • same line break assists (1)
  • error.png
    14 less kicks
  • error.png
    455 less kick metres
  • circle-tick-16.png
    18 more tackles
  • error.png
    2 less one on one tackles
  • circle-tick-16.png
    2 less ineffective tackles
  • circle-tick-16.png
    5 less missed tackles
  • circle-tick-16.png
    1 less error
  • Same amount of penalties (1)

Inruin

Contributor
Typically Manu Vatuvei's left edge has for the last few seasons usually had the wood on the right edge but this year has seen a huge gulf in difference. Thanks largely to Chad Townsend and especially Ryan Hoffman who has scored a try a game on the left side.

Regardless of how you look at it the left edge is shitting on the right. As to why, well thats a discussion for another thread but the stats couldnt speak more loudly on this issue...

Dont really need stats to back up what is plain to see with the naked eye but this is a stat thread so what the hell. Inruin Inruin youre free to use the following for your biweekly Chad Townsend Fan Club newsletter.
Great post mt.wellington mt.wellington

I think that the sample size is still quite small but certainly concerning.

I think the main difference is Ryan Hoffman. I think Chad has played similarly to how he played last year (seriously, he will still make errors and some poor kicks but he hasn't changed much in his contributions to the team) but having the Hoff and a better Manu (arguably, IMO due to not being as involved with starting sets as much, not sure if the stats back this up) with only Kata having to slot in at centre. So quite a stable side with Manu and Chad from last year, the pro in Hoff and a determined rookie in Kata has allowed them to work well as a unit, both in attack and defense.

Conversely, on the right you have Shaun Johnson the only one remaining from last year. I don't think he is fully fit either (injury wise I mean and not just his arm) He has Thompson who is an upgrade on Bukake but will need time to gel. He also has had Tui and Wright and now Allwood to adjust to playing with and them with him. Not having Hurrell to go to and Tomkins out for game one has certainly effected his game. The good thing is that side can only get better once some of our injured start coming back or some consistent selections allow them all to gel.

The right edge will come right sooner or later. My main concern at the moment is whether we have enough points in us without Tomkins and Hurrell to win games in the next few weeks.

mt.wellington mt.wellington The only reason you know the newsletter is biweekly is because you are a subscriber
#member54

So we all know the key stat is that the Warriors are 2-3 and are looking like a real rocks and diamonds team this year. One moment the attack looks promising only for the ball to be dropped. So I investigated the stats to see what the situation is and how we compare to others in the league.
It is not pretty reading. The Warriors have the worst completion rate in the comp.
upload_2015-4-9_14-7-37.png

A full 10% worse than the Cowboys. We are basically equals with the Titans in terms of ball security and you have to really ask why is that? How did we become so bad? We all talk about our talent and our promise, but still we keep throwing the ball away.
Obviously the completion rate means that our error rate is high. And you guessed it folks. We have the highest error rate in the comp.
upload_2015-4-9_14-10-30.png

We've made 20 more errors than our opponents this week and nearly 10 more than the second worst teams. Interesting to see the Rabbits are second last with errors but still win. If we had made even 2 less errors a game we would have the same ball security as the bunnies, maybe our talent could have got us home?
This does not make pretty reading. We are the outlier in terms of security and respect for the ball.
So I wondered is this unusual to start the season so bad? Do we normally have such poor handling when we start a season.

upload_2015-4-9_14-13-40.png

Yes we do start the season poorly, or at least we have the last few years. (Thanks to Mt. Wellington for his stat work in previous years). But we are making nearly 3 more errors a game, which is obviously a big problem.

But not all hope is lost. Because one area where we have improved is in our running of the ball. Cappy has the boys running with more intent this year (and possibly it is the new rules that are allowing longer runs and more breaks) but the boys are making more meters and are 7th in the league for meters gained per carry.
upload_2015-4-9_14-16-53.png

upload_2015-4-9_14-20-20.png

So there is some kind of an upside. We are running more often and are gaining more ground compared to previous years. But despite being 4th in the league for total runs and 5th in the league for meters gained we are dead last for completions and errors.
Unless we can hold the ball we stand no chance of making the 8.

Attachments

• upload_2015-4-9_14-9-40.png
    upload_2015-4-9_14-9-40.png
    3.3 KB · Views: 8
I'd like to see a failed offload stat from our ex union converts and one from our long time league player's. Caus I reckon the dodgy offload is being perpetrated a lot more by those who've played the boring game growing up..

In union you can't hold the ball in the tackle. If you do it's a penalty or scrum from a failed maul... So there's mega pressure to get the ball out the back any way you can...And there's a whole bunch (hundreds) or rules that make it easier to push the ball back unobstructed.

This for me explains why players are pushing utter garbage offloads on the first tackle. It's a high pressure situation and the old Union instinct kicks in. Then before you know it the ball is on the ground and it's a turnover... This is a huge obstacle to our consistency IMO...

I also reckon some of our weakness on defense is based on old union instincts kicking in. There's no 10 meters in Union so a backward sliding defense works great. Shit house in League tho...

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence