General Warriors 2015 End of Season Review

How would you rate the clubs overall season out of 10. Players, coach, backroom staff, CEO, etc

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Bound to be more articles coming in the following weeks. No doubt a few members will have their own thoughts.

Following is a review of sorts. Got Nathaniel Peteru's details wrong. He's debuted for the Titans this season...

League: Departing Warriors - how they've stacked up
5:00 AM Saturday Sep 5, 2015
David Skipworth
Several head for greener pastures but others are casualties of cleanout as club updates playing roster.

Sam Tomkins' homesick line didn't buy him much respect when he announced he was returning to Wigan a year early. Photo / Nick Reed

With the Warriors' season coming to an end it's time to farewell several departing players who are moving on to new clubs or a new chapter in life.

Some have served with distinction over a decade or a number of years while others have cut their time short before reaching their peak.

Several of those exiting Mt Smart Stadium are heading for greener pastures and better opportunities, while others are casualties of the club's cleanout, as Warriors coach Andrew McFadden and Jim Doyle look to update their playing roster for 2016.

We run the rule over the list to see how each will be remembered.

Sam Tomkins — 37 games:
Signed from Wigan on a big-money three-year deal and arrived under pressure to live up to his tag as the club's most high-profile recruit.

Took time to settle as Kevin Locke's replacement before showing glimpses of brilliance and finished second behind Manu Vatuvei in the try-scoring stakes with 13.

Struggled with injuries this season and managed just one try before limping out of his final match against Wests Tigers with another knee injury.

Was strong ingoal and under the high ball but was unconvincing when confronted by a straight defensive line.

The homesickness line didn't buy him much respect when he announced he was returning to Wigan a year early. 6/10

Sam Rapira — 173 games:
A proud and strong Warriors' servant over 10 years, will join Super League club Huddersfield next year.

Rapira's reputation as a fearless and physical player no doubt contributed to his horror run with injury and he was restricted to a bit-part role over the past couple of seasons.

Leaves with all the respect of his teammates and fans and this year was a tremendous role model and example for rookie front-rowers Sam Lisone and Albert Vete. 8/10

Nathan Friend — 85 games:
Another who gave his all every time he took the field and a model of consistency and professionalism during the difficult times of recent years.

Had limitations to his play but fought hard for his No 9 jersey and perhaps produced his best form through the back-end of this season.

Tough as nails, with an extraordinary work ethic and knock-about personality, Friend will forever be remembered for bringing the Warriors to ESPN's attention after his back-flipping antics against the Storm. 8/10

Chad Townsend — 40 games:
Arrived looking to establish himself in first grade and eventually slotted in comfortably as Shaun Johnson 's halves partner, playing the steady hand to the No 7s wild card.

Made big strides guiding the side's left edge last year but struggled in the latter stages when Johnson's absence saw him take on greater responsibility, while a chronic groin injury has also affected his performances.

Showed plenty of heart and effort but lacked control and finesse at key times. 7/10

Ngani Laumape — 30 games:
Warriors fans are already regretting the departure of this strongly built Hurricanes-bound dynamo.

Showed all the skills required of an NRL centre and wing and was dynamic and astute both in attack and defence and a classy finisher.

Started the season as the club's No 1 midfielder but a second serious knee injury prevented him from playing. Will make a big impression at the Cake Tin. 8/10

Glen Fisiiahi — 25 games:
The Flying Fish gave fans plenty to remember since debuting in 2011 - including four tries in Wellington against the Tigers - but a shocking run of injuries limited his time and impact on the wing or at fullback.

A genuine speedster, Fisiiahi grew into his work through just 25 appearances, but because of his time on the sideline never developed into the complete player many hoped he would become. 7/10

Dominique Peyroux — 23 games:
Underrated and often overlooked until injuries presented him with chances to show his wares but the St Helens-bound utility generally gave a good account of himself.

Lacked the class to cement a regular spot when all players were available but was energetic and capable of conjuring something out of nothing. 6/10

Suaia Matagi — 36 games:
A fan favourite with an inspiring story after overcoming his well-documented and troubled past, and an absolute wrecking ball on kick-returns and one off the ruck. Did everything asked of him and represented the Kiwis in last year's Four Nations, but with lots of emerging front-row talent coming through he struggled to get into the frame for selection this year.

Granted a release to join the Sydney Roosters in May and has found a new home for 2016 at the Penrith Panthers. 7/10

Siliva Havili — 14 games:
A talented and creative dummy-half who never hit top gear in limited starting appearances and off the bench.

Found his path blocked by both Thomas Leuluai and Nathan Friend but should blossom further in the Red V of St George-Illawarra in 2016. 5/10

Sebastine Ikahihifo — 37 games:
A powerful ball-runner with a big right-hand fend and willing defender. Was a handy fill-in but inexperience saw him struggle in some big games. Future unknown. 6/10

David Bhana: Bhana has yet to play in the NRL. His future is uncertain. He has been offered a part-time deal for next year.

Brad Abbey: Yet to play in the NRL, he's off to play for the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Nathaniel Peteru: Yet to play in the NRL, Peteru has been released to join the Titans until the end of 2016.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11508177

Reaction score

stacky18

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Don't get some of those player ratings.
How does fish get a 7 when he's not strong enough to complete a season? Early last year he cost the team 2 tries with his weakness under the high ball and his defence was piss weak in his one game in 2015. He's a 5 at best.
Chad got a generous 7. 4 years of first grade and half his games were in 2015. I'd give him a 5. Yet to put in a full 80 minute game. A good player for depth but not to be relied on. Came on little money and played to his potential.

For me 2015 will be remembered as the year that never got going. Bad injuries from round 1 and carrying 4 rookies a week cost us any kind of consistency. We never found rhythm for more than 2 weeks and in the end guys clocked off cause they were getting the sack.
I don't think coaches could have done any more than they did with our squad exposed. No one is calling for Ivan head at Panthers and we're on the same boat.
If we win next year this can be seen as the rebuilding year. If we lose next year then I lose my faith.
4 losing seasons in a row. We haven't been this bad since 95-2000.

Reaction score
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Dr Faggot
Contributor
Reaction score
What do those numbers actually mean?? Is he rating them on performances, contribution? What's the scale here, comparing them to the rest of the Warriors squad (ie are SJ and Mannering 9/10) or is this NRL wide? I only ask because those numbers are far too high, if Chad Townsend rates a 7 then Thurston is 20 out of 10. And how does Havili get a 5 on any scale? He'd be bordering on 2-3/10 or un-assessable because of no game time.

Reaction score

Jordan G

Based on the comments I take the ratings as how he feels they went over their entire time here rather than just this season.

The Rapira comments and rating of 8/10 is what suggests that to me.

Reaction score
ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
1/10 for mine. We've been trash. No excuses and no point painting a pretty picture. We have sucked this season........yet again.

Reaction score
InsideBall

InsideBall

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
If Rapira is an 8/10, then it's a pretty huge insult to someone who has given so much to the club, that another who manages maybe a game or two a season is given a 7/10, such as Fish...

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
What do those numbers actually mean?? Is he rating them on performances, contribution? What's the scale here, comparing them to the rest of the Warriors squad (ie are SJ and Mannering 9/10) or is this NRL wide? I only ask because those numbers are far too high, if Chad Townsend rates a 7 then Thurston is 20 out of 10. And how does Havili get a 5 on any scale? He'd be bordering on 2-3/10 or un-assessable because of no game time.
Those ratings tell me that NZs league media have very low expectations for the Warriors

Reaction score
ShaunJohnson7

ShaunJohnson7

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Those ratings tell me that NZs league media have very low expectations for the Warriors
I think it's more they just have no idea what they're talking about. I don't even think most of them watch the games if you go off what they write.

Reaction score
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
3/10 for me. Only shining light has been Jim Doyle and his signing of Roger Tuivasa-Sheck and Issac Luke...
Ditto plus the arrival of Charlie Gubb, who as of last year I thought wasn't good enough to be a first grader. He is a player we need going forward (although it would be nice if he had more upstairs)

Vete has also come a long way...wasn't he in the too lazy to make use of his prodigious talent basket? Also, unlike Gubb he has a brain.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
What happened to the Warriors?
Updated at 7:24 am today
Matt Chatterton - matt.chatterton@radionz.co.nz

OPINION: This was meant to be the year the Warriors ended their three-year-drought from the NRL playoffs, yet here we are talking about another season of what could have been.

The Warriors' faces say it all

Photo: Photosport

The club's 20th anniversary year should have been memorable, but it's turned into a disaster in recent weeks with the age-old blame game beginning to creep in.

Six weeks ago, the Warriors looked to be shoe-ins for the top eight; in fact, they looked like they would be inside the top four. But, as though he almost predicted it, coach Andrew McFadden said fans and the media shouldn't get ahead of themselves.

How he proved to be so right.

If you wanted to look at the last time the Warriors recorded a win in the NRL, you have to look back to week 18 in the middle of July.

The 28-14 win came against the Melbourne Storm at Mt Smart Stadium.

While the score looked comfortable, it was anything but.

I remember being at that game. The Warriors had a comfortable 16-0 lead after half-time but, with just 20 minutes left in the match, the visitors had peeled the scoreline back to 20-14. Many in the press box thought it was going to be a repeat of the Warriors of 2014.

Luckily, the magic of Shaun Johnson got the better of Cameron Smith and he managed to seal the win with his beautiful side-step, but the warning sides were already there.

The following week the Warriors were thrashed 24-0 by the Roosters in Sydney. While quite the hiding, fans weren't hitting the panic button just yet, with McFadden putting it down to a poor day on defence.

It was around this time that the likes of Konrad Hurrell, Manu Vatuvei and Ryan Hoffman were all spending time on the sidelines with injuries and suspensions - and it was about to get a whole lot worse.

Shaun Johnson is carried from the field.

In week 20, the Warriors came up against the Manly Sea Eagles in what many would say was the defining moment in the New Zealand club's season.

While none of the Warriors' camp like to admit it, Johnson's season-ending ankle injury was one of the biggest blows any team in the NRL could face.

I still, to an extent, agree with McFadden and Johnson that one player isn't better than the team, but in Johnson's case he is incredibly hard to replace.

The 2014 Golden Boot winner is one of the most electric players in the NRL; he is also the most frustrating for opposition teams thanks to that incredible footwork that no-one seems to be able to read.

When a player like Johnson goes down, it's easy for a club to lose hope, but you didn't see that from the Warriors.

McFadden came out and gave young playmaker Tuimoala Lolohea a chance to take over the helm and he did a respectable job, showing a lot of promise in the halves alongside Chad Townsend.

What let him and the rest of the side down was the poor defence from the left edge, which has been the biggest problem area for the Warriors this season.

It's been pointed out by numerous people within the media as well as coaching staff that the left edge is where the Warriors have continuously struggled, yet nothing seems to have changed.

Warriors boss Jim Doyle (left) with coach Andrew McFadden

In the last two matches, the Warriors have leaked 100 points while scoring 32 points of their own. It quite simply isn't good enough.

At the end of the season, bodies start tiring and depth within the pack becomes scarce, but that can't be excused when the same results and same mistakes begin to creep in year after year.

The big problem the Warriors face, when you look at the statistics from this year, is their error rate. They're second with 256 for the season; only the fourth-placed Gold Coast Titans have more with 267.

The Warriors are middle of the pack when it comes to missed tackles at 580, yet it's the timing of those missed tackles, and what follows, that cause the New Zealand side to cough up so many points.

Let me be clear, I'm not suggesting that McFadden or any one player in particular needs to be axed because of another poor season. If anything, McFadden needs more time with the side - and, from all accounts, Jim Doyle is going to give him that time.

McFadden has made it clear in the past he expects a high standard from his players. It must be frustrating for him that he hasn't been getting it.

Whether it's a lack of motivation or commitment, attitudes will need to change before results can start coming their way.

It's time
As the old saying goes, the best offence comes from a strong defence - and in the Warriors' case, that couldn't be closer to the truth. Now it's up to them to work on eliminating those costly errors.

Sydney Roosters winger Roger Tuivasa-Sheck has pulled out of the Kiwis, citing burn-out.

With the inclusion of Roger Tuivasa Sheck and Isaac Luke in the squad next season, there are no more excuses for the Warriors.

As former Warriors and Kiwis coach Frank Endacott said, the Warriors have the best rugby league spine in the world in their backline next season.

With Johnson, Luke, and Tuivasa Sheck making up that spine, they will have the most exciting attack in the NRL. Now all they need is the defence to back it up.

While they are gaining a few new faces, they're also losing the likes of Sam Tomkins and Chad Townsend so that backline will need to gel quickly with the new combinations.

Fans have been waiting for 20 years. It's time they reaped the rewards of their loyalty.

https://www.radionz.co.nz/news/sport/283344/what-happened-to-the-warriors

Reaction score
Diesel

Diesel

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Fuck those player ratings are generous. With my lack of skill, fitness and being unable to tackle I'd earn an easy 3-4 out of 10 rating

Reaction score

drake83

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Ten being the lowest? Im guessing thats how they have ranked the players too, everyone been watching to much Hindy and Fletch.

Reaction score

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Did you guys see the look Doyle was giving cappy in the photo ?
I bet cappy kept his his eyes firmly in front an mouth shut after that
He's definitely gone that was utter contempt right there,

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Did you guys see the look Doyle was giving cappy in the photo ?
I bet cappy kept his his eyes firmly in front an mouth shut after that
He's definitely gone that was utter contempt right there,
It's hard reading photos out of context, but my first impression was "woah Cappy Doyles giving it to you"

Reaction score

the borg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Do we need to bother about these players ratings......I'm over it for this year... already looking ahead to 2016, I think Cappy and Doyle probably are too, so much for 20th anniversary year.

Reaction score
Fantail23

Fantail23

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Bound to be more articles coming in the following weeks. No doubt a few members will have their own thoughts.

League: Departing Warriors - how they've stacked up
5:00 AM Saturday Sep 5, 2015
David Skipworth
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11508177
These Rating are ridiculously high. Everyone was a pass mark. Last time i looked we haven't make the top 8 again. Fish never played and scored a 7 lol. Friend was a 7.5 the rest 5 or lower.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom