General Warriors 2014 Stats

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
ROUND 5
Still early days and the sample size is still very small guys and gals but heres a quick breakdown of the seasons stats to date. Some of the patterns that were emerging (such as the 2nd half fade) have been thrown out the door with the stats from this game.

Warriors vs Tigers Rnd 4 2014 when stats.png

Round 4 saw us score our first try in the last 10 minutes of the game. Not only that but we scored 3 of them. One each to Jayson Bukuya, Sam Tomkins and Glen Fisiiahi. It was also the first time this year we have kept a team to only one try in the 2nd half. Previous 3 rounds were Eels 4 tries, Dragons 4 tries and Cowboys 2 tries scored in the 2nd half. It was also the first game where we scored the majority of our points in the 2nd half. 62.5% no less.

This round on its own his done a lot to change the 2nd half fade we have suffered so far this year and which has been reflected by the stats. Its helped balance our season stats with the 2nd half now almost on par with the first. Thats clearly demonstrated in the table below which compares the season to date stats between Round 3 and Round 4. Where we were scoring 66.7% of our points in the 1st half last round, we are now scoring 52.9%...

When tries are scored for the season to Rnd 4.png

Reactions: tajhay

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
In whats a first for the Warriors in very long time its the right edge that is leading the charge for points scored. Over 50% of tries are coming from that edge while the middle and left edge are bringing up the balance in equal shares. Since last season and Konrad Hurrell's placement on the right the stats have been pretty even across the board but we maybe starting to see the slow decline of Manu Vatuvei's sides dominance in this stat.

These stats are the only ones that I compile myself and I have to admit that Sam Tomkins ability to pop up anywhere is doing my head in. Whereas last season saw Kevin Locke chime in predominately on the left, Sam is all over the place. His try last weekend, he started on the left, danced his way to the right and scored in the middle. I think? What about Shaun Johnsons try before halftime? Started by a very compressed line on the right in the middle of the field. Right edge player then makes the break down the left and its the left edge of Manu Vatuvei and Dane Nielsen that finish it off! If anyone takes issue with these stats then I dont blame and feel free to raise your issue.
Where tries are scored for the season to Rnd 4.png

Just as a matter of interest heres the same stats for the season to date in 2013...
Warriors Rnd 4 where stats 2013.png

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Huge improvement this week with the overall game stats between round to round. Last week we only had 3 green positives. We made more runs, less tackles and less errors. This week has seen us change that to 9 positives and 1 draw in line breaks. Interestingly we are down on offloads which has been the hallmark of our offence. Large part due to Feleti Mateo not playing in the Tigers game and the possession tactic during the wet game in Townsville. Early days yet but it maybe no coincidence that a safer game protecting the ball may actually work in our favour...
For and Against for season to Rnd 4.png

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Heres the total stats for the season to date.
Total stats for season Rnd 4.png

I prefer to break it down by a players average per game which gives a fairer indication of their overall effectiveness. Sample is far too small but another useful tool is a players average per minute. That will come further down the season.

As usual the best and worst stats are highlighted.
Average stats for season to Rnd 4.png

Will be breaking it down even further in the next day or two to make it more digestible. I'll separate the backs, front rowers and second rowers to make it a more useful comparison.

As always, if you have any questions or spot any errors then feel free to post it up...

The best stats thread anywhere.

I would add to those keen observations that against the Tigers we were coming home fast (most unusual ) people will point out the obvious they were bench depleted and tired.

When the enemy is wounded, the good teams go for the throat and shut them down. pleased we did that.

The reason so many Tigers were hurting in the first place is the Warriors are bringing back the bash....not the Biff the bash....hurting tackles and runs.
Key personnel changes in that regard are :

Taylor : Bukuya

Lowrie : Lousi

Pies : Hurrell

Packer : Matangi ( Is better than Packer , took James Gavet head on )

Tupou : Fis'iahi

Freind : Leuluai

Glass : Rapira

Indifference : Lillyman wants a Queensland Jumper and contract renewal

Once Sam Lousi is fit I doubt previous loyalties will mean anything to Elliot in the season he is battling for his NRL future , players like the ballet dancer Mateo will find himself in direct competition for his spot with the temptation to keep the brute squad mentally of the Warriors Big Forwards well Rostered.

Martel can make the most meters in a Warrior pack when he runs and takes the tackle.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Very well done, thanks.

Lillyman is a beast, I've never seen him as a big impact forward but there's no doubt about his work rate when you see those stats. I've always thought he would be the prop to go for my 'big prop' but he's proving me wrong
Bastards making me eat my words but he sure has been living up to his nickname, BIG BULL! I didnt see the need to re-sign him as I felt he was doing no more then someone like Suaia Matagi who we would be getting for much cheaper. Based on his last 2 performances he's looking like he's going to be our best prop of the season.

I havent seen him go out and be the more dominant prop for at least 2 years. He has always been a workman but he's stepping well above that now. Id be happy to re-sign him with a bonus if can keep it up.

Any body have any theories on recent resurgence? Origin? Playing in front of his old club? Whatever it is, bottle it up and take a scull before every game...

All the props have been outstanding- rapiras made more tackles than mannering

Simon's overall workrate - at least when measured in basic stats, definitely seems to be down so far in the first four rounds, compared with his career (certainly in the last 4 odd years) stats. I know this because he's cost me A LOT of money in my fantasy team, haha. Wouldn't surprise me at all if this was because of the long year last season combined with some niggling, or perhaps some more severe, injuries… whatever, I won't be trading him out, I've no doubt that he'll come right!

Huge improvement this week with the overall game stats between round to round. Last week we only had 3 green positives. We made more runs, less tackles and less errors. This week has seen us change that to 9 positives and 1 draw in line breaks. Interestingly we are down on offloads which has been the hallmark of our offence. Large part due to Feleti Mateo not playing in the Tigers game and the possession tactic during the wet game in Townsville. Early days yet but it maybe no coincidence that a safer game protecting the ball may actually work in our favour…

View attachment 8766

I love this stats table… this is probably the best, most informative way of looking at our season to date, statically, that I've ever seen! Awesome job man.

Mannering's defensive workrate is down because teams see more potential profit from attacking the Fish edge than the Manu edge.
And attacking workrate perhaps down as Tomkins also favours the Fish side.

Reactions: Freddie Futler
Mannering's defensive workrate is down because teams see more potential profit from attacking the Fish edge than the Manu edge.
And attacking workrate perhaps down as Tomkins also favours the Fish side.

That's certainly one possibility, but even so, his numbers seem to be quite a bit down on normal, which I wouldn't solely attribute to sides focusing their attack on our right edge.

That's certainly one possibility, but even so, his numbers seem to be quite a bit down on normal, which I wouldn't solely attribute to sides focusing their attack on our right edge.
He is certainly putting more into the tackles that he does make. When he drops them they stay down, I love his technique.

Well Bukuya is putting in huge tackle counts, having taken Simon's jersey. The only change here is positional. Seems like simple math to me ;)

For the first four rounds, here's how our season is tracking compared to the other teams for the points scored. As I can, I'll provide other data over the next few days for scrums, penalties, attacking and defensive stats.

The raw data for these stats are from nrlstats.com (their stats seem more accurate than those from the nrl.com site).

Tries scored:
1st = with 19 tries: Bulldogs, Dragons & Wests Tigers
4th with 18 tries: Eels
5th = with 17 tries: Broncos & Warriors

Conversions:
1st with 17 conversions: Bulldogs (89% successful)
2nd = with 15 conversions: Dragons (79%) & Wests Tigers (79%)
4th with 14 conversions: (88%)
…..
9th = with 9 conversions: Titans (82%), Cowboys (75%) & Warriors (53%)

Penalty Goals:
1st = with 5 penalty goals: Sea Eagles (100% successful) & Storm (83%)
3rd = with 3 penalty goals: Knights (100%) & Rabbitohs (100%)
5th = with 2 penalty goals: Broncos (100%), Raiders (100%), Warriors (100%), Panthers (67%) & Titans (67%)

Field Goals:
1st with 3 field goals: Storm (60% successful)
2nd = with 1 field goal: Dragons (100%), Wests Tigers (100%), Panthers (33%) &Titans (33%)
Unsuccessful attempts @ field goals: Sea Eagles (unsuccessful from 3 attempts), Raiders (2), Broncos (1) & Raiders (1)
No field goal attempts: Bulldogs, Cowboys, Eels, Knights, Roosters, Sharks & Warriors

Points For (PF):
1st with 110 PF: Bulldogs
2nd = with 109 PF: Dragons and Wests Tigers
4th with 96 PF: Broncos
…..
6th = with 90 PF: Eels, Raiders & Warriors

Points Against (PA):
1st with 52 PA: Bulldogs
2nd with 53 PA: Sea Eagles
3rd with 66 PA: Roosters
4th with 71 PA: Cowboys
…..