General Warriors 2014 Stats

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
2014 For & Against.png

Reactions: OMG

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
No surprises with who led the receives for the season with our hard working rake Nathan Friend doing the business behind the ruck. The importance of the rake position in this stat is highlighted by Kevin Locke and Siliva Havili making the top 10 of the average per game.

As usual we see everyone who played a spine position this season dominate averages but what is somewhat surprising is that Manu Vatuvei is the next on the list with Ngani Laumape 3 places back. The next in line after the spine should be all forwards and 2nd rowers. Laying it down for the backs. Not the other way round IMO...

Receives.png

Pleased to see Manu Vatuvei putting in so much work but equally disappointed that he's had to. Also disappointed to see the props feature so low in these tables...

Runs.png

Heres a table thats adjusted the season totals based on if the players had all played 24 games. So that Average Per Game multiplied by 24 games...

Runs adjusted.png

Been mentioned / highlighted a lot this season...we're getting a forward that will eat into the receives stats of Vatuvei.

We've signed a wing and are chasing another wing.

Can anyone see where that puzzle is heading....It's going to be interesting,

Last edited:
Reactions: OMG and ramraider78

Jordan G

For all the hate TL gets for taking the ball away from Shaun Johnson, he receives the ball 10 times less per game and Chad is given the ball more often than Shaun Johnson.

No doubt people are less likely to complain when the other half is more effective (as I and most believe Chad was) but it does fly in the face of the "TL over calls everything and takes the ball away from Shaun Johnson" theory.

Reactions: eudebrito and Sup42
I'd like to hear what the plan's are for 9 next season cause looking at those stats, IMO we need an attacking hooker; I've got no problem with the high work rate on defense but from these stats TBH Friend is probably to tired to run with the ball.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Sam Tomkins leads the team this season in try assists edging Shaun Johnson out by one but playing 3 more games. Tuimoala Lolohea takes out the average award after getting 2 try assists in 3 games. The Chad Townsend/Thomas Leuluai debate is at stalemate with both averaging the same (a complete head to head breakdown on these 2 is on the cards)...

Try Assist.png

Just a quick comparison of our players against the whole NRL. Our best just scrape into the top 20...

Try Assist NRL.png

Comparison with stats from last year. Only did averages as a total would be skewed by how many games a player actually played. N/A means the player didnt play that year for the Warriors in 1st Grade...

Try Assist Year to year.png

Reactions: 2 people
I wish we could look at unforced errors stats.
Understandable that it is not a stat category that statisticians pay any heed too since it really is only statistically significant for our club who has the most Kiwi players ergo poor fundamental rugby league skill players.

Simon Mannerings unforced errors would be a classic example of that ( he is someone who is 100 % Kiwi grown....puts in maximum effort.....turns over the ball lots...can't be seen as racial profiling in the fundamental area I staunchly believe needs specific focus by coaches ).

Inruin

Contributor
For all the hate TL gets for taking the ball away from Shaun Johnson, he receives the ball 10 times less per game and Chad is given the ball more often than Shaun Johnson.

No doubt people are less likely to complain when the other half is more effective (as I and most believe Chad was) but it does fly in the face of the "TL over calls everything and takes the ball away from Shaun Johnson" theory.
could be possibly skewed by TL's other games off the bench with limited touches. Although I agree that it's not so much the amount of touches he gets but rather when he gets the touches and what he does with them.

Inruin

Contributor
Just a quick comparison of our players against the whole NRL. Our best just scrape into the top 20...

While our individual players just scrape in to the top 20, our try assists have been spread across a number of players which means potentially we have greater threats across the park than other teams. Also, some one like Tomkins not only sets up tries but scores them as well. I think as a team we are in an ok place. Not great, but ok. We just need our forwards to lay a better platform IMO.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
While our individual players just scrape in to the top 20, our try assists have been spread across a number of players which means potentially we have greater threats across the park than other teams. Also, some one like Tomkins not only sets up tries but scores them as well. I think as a team we are in an ok place. Not great, but ok. We just need our forwards to lay a better platform IMO.
Fact or personal opinion???

Jordan G

could be possibly skewed by TL's other games off the bench with limited touches. Although I agree that it's not so much the amount of touches he gets but rather when he gets the touches and what he does with them.

Our last 3 games (Panthers, Titans, Roosters) TL had 9, 19, and 13 less touches. He definitely gets the ball less over the course of a game, BUT Shaun Johnson also took a total of 25 more kicks over those same games. TL rarely touches the ball inside out own half while Johnson will get his hands on the ball in either half.

The real break down I'd like to see is the receive numbers inside the opposition 30.

There's no doubt TL doesn't offer much, but I think that's the same for our entire left hand side this year. Some nice short balls for Mannering/Matulino, but when it comes to going beyond that I thought both TL and Chad were sub par. The edge Chad has is his kicking game which produced a number of repeat sets and didn't always leave the burden on Shaun Johnson.

Jordan G

We were one of the top try scoring teams throughout the year so if those try assist's aren't coming from anyone other than Shaun Johnson and Tomkins then we have a lot of players doing individual things to grab us points without the assistance.

I'd like to hear what the plan's are for 9 next season cause looking at those stats, IMO we need an attacking hooker; I've got no problem with the high work rate on defense but from these stats TBH Friend is probably to tired to run with the ball.

Yeah exactly.....IF Friend is going to continue to be used then we at least need an attacking hooker off the bench who can play 30-40 mins a game. That would give us a spark off the bench and we've seen Friend has a better running game when he's not playing the full 80. I still think with our current resources that a Friend/Havili combo is probably best but I doubt that is what will be used moving forward.

Reactions: ramraider78

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Think some teams are well represented in the try assist stats. Cowboys are just awesome. Heres the try assists, tries and teams that make up the NRL top 20...

Try Assist & tries teams.png

Teams not represented in the top 20 are the Bulldogs, Titans and Sharks. Bit odd for the Bulldogs but cant be bothered trawling through there years stats. Will try find something online of their total team stats and see if we can pin it down to something. Maybe a better collective effort across the team???

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
We were one of the top try scoring teams throughout the year so if those try assist's aren't coming from anyone other than Shaun Johnson and Tomkins then we have a lot of players doing individual things to grab us points without the assistance.

It’s a bit of that, if Hurrell gets the ball one on one and breaks the tackle to score, that’s not a try assist aye, that’s just Hurrell, line break, try.

Whereas all those players running off Thurston seem to go over with hardly a touch on them a lot of time.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Remarkably Manu Vatuvei ends the season as the teams top try scorer for the 8th year running (Shared the honour in 2007 and 2012). Glen Fisiiahi's amazing strike rate was in large part to his 4 try game against the Tigers in Round 3 and only playing 5 games. Carlos Tuimavave scored a try in the 39 minutes he played this season...

Tries.png

Went back 2 years for this comparison. Bear in mind that some stats are for other clubs which are detailed below and marked with an asterick (*). Also N/A means the player didnt play that year due to injury or having not yet debuted...

Tries Year to year.png

Table below shows how the Warriors stack up against the rest of the competition. 3 of of players made the top 20. At one stage early in the season Glen Fisiiahi was topping the table 3 weeks after he had injured himself...

Tries NRL.png

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Sam Tomkins totally blitzed the rest of the team in tackle breaks this year. Most would have come from his elusive running in the middle where he seemed to change angles on a dime to score. Last year Konrad Hurrell topped the table with 69...

Tackle breaks.png

These stats differ slightly to the NRLStats.com ones but were the only ones I could find that had a comprehensive list without a shitload of work. Forgot to highlight Konrad Hurrell at #24. The other names highlighted from our team show our top 5...

Tackle breaks NRL.png