General Warriors 2012 NYC Squad???

• Thread starter slaughterhouse.sa_old
  • Start date

slaughterhouse.sa_old

I have seen on Photosport they have 2012 NYC headshots up.

Obviously this must be the trainon squad for their trials coming up (one against Vulcans in Whangarei & probably a series of game against Fox clubs).
Also alot would be u/17 & U/18s development members pushing for inclusion.

I have seen quite a few play Fox or National comp as well as NZ Residents 18s.

Quite a few from Otahuhu.

Also quite few familiar names Koopu (brother), Nikau (son) etc. . .

https://www.photosport.co.nz/search...tring="Junior Warriors Headshots, 2012 Squad"

Last edited by a moderator:

Spence_old

Cheers for that .sa, I don't recognise all that many names. Time to unearth the next superstars!

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Good to see Jethro Friend in the mix.

Yeah good to see a number of boys

Friend and Hiku were standout for both Manurewa and Counties-Manukau.
Hiku made the residents team and Friend would have but Darin Kingi (Vulcans) was available.

Nikau played most of the season with Howick topside but made way for Anthony Gelling come semi-final time.

Sione Feao had a massive season came from Otahuhu Leopards Juniors to starting 2nd rower in the Fox playing in a GF, playing for Counties-Manukau and helping Otahuhu College to Akld and National titles. (Roger Sheck->, Vince Afoa, V. Lolohea just some of the boys who got picked up).

Peter Hellesloe - played for Northcote prems and Im picking him to grab a centre spot.

Atu Tupou . .. is a beast - he used to partner Joe Mua in the centres for Mangere East - but longterm would be a hardhitting prop IMO.

Viking_old

Yeah good to see a number of boys

Friend and Hiku were standout for both Manurewa and Counties-Manukau.
Hiku made the residents team and Friend would have but Darin Kingi (Vulcans) was available.

Nikau played most of the season with Howick topside but made way for Anthony Gelling come semi-final time.

Sione Feao had a massive season came from Otahuhu Leopards Juniors to starting 2nd rower in the Fox playing in a GF, playing for Counties-Manukau and helping Otahuhu College to Akld and National titles. (Roger Sheck->, Vince Afoa, V. Lolohea just some of the boys who got picked up).

Peter Hellesloe - played for Northcote prems and Im picking him to grab a centre spot.

Atu Tupou . .. is a beast - he used to partner Joe Mua in the centres for Mangere East - but longterm would be a hardhitting prop IMO.

What happened to Joe? I saw him get some games early last season at Gold Coast then he dissappeared. Afa Vaitupu didn't seem to feature at all for the Titans last year either after making the move.

Of that age group, Jr Afu (?) from Mangere East was the most dynamic player I saw and used to tear through players like Sam Louisi and Lance Sua Poe. Ben MM was the other standout and was more versatile than Junior but nowhere near as explosive. Afu reminded me of Sika Manu, he doesn't look to have kicked on at Melbourne at all.

slaughterhouse.sa_old

What happened to Joe? I saw him get some games early last season at Gold Coast then he dissappeared. Afa Vaitupu didn't seem to feature at all for the Titans last year either after making the move.

Of that age group, Jr Afu (?) from Mangere East was the most dynamic player I saw and used to tear through players like Sam Louisi and Lance Sua Poe. Ben MM was the other standout and was more versatile than Junior but nowhere near as explosive. Afu reminded me of Sika Manu, he doesn't look to have kicked on at Melbourne at all.

Joe got badly injured I think. He never had the focus etc anyway to go all the way.

Afa - I think he got injured straight away.
He might not be included in this squad this year - unfortunately.
which is suprising considering the titans nyc are crap

2big2strong_old

One thing that I've noticed about the 20's team since Iro left and Ackland joined is that it is more Auckland centric than ever. The first 2 years of NYC the team was full of players from around the country. Matulino, Robinson, Laban and Mara from Wellington, Elijah Taylor from Whangarei, Isaac John from Tokoroa, Steve Rapira from Hamilton, Jason To'u from Rarotonga, Elijah Nikau from Hawkes bay etc..

Obviously Ackland knows what he's doing because his record is 2 from 2 and I can't dispute his coaching ability, however my concern is that our once far stretched net has been shortened to the Greater Auckland area and we may be missing out on the next wave of Wellington players or Northland players or whatever.

Melbourne just invited 30 players from around the country, including the cream of Wellingtons best, to a training camp in Melbourne. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6286862/Haimona-has-eye-of-league-scouts

League is alive in well in all regional areas of NZ, they can't solely rely on a trial game in Auckland to recruit all of their players? I feel Ackland is heading towards a completely Auckland team and neglecting the rest of the country.

The other thing, which comes with the territory of most of the players coming from Auckland, is that the team seems to be about 98% P.I. The most islander stacked team I've ever seen in my life. Ackland loves his island boys aye? Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's very noticeable when you consider Iro's 2008 team was 50% P.I , 50% Maori/Pakeha.

Ryan_old

The other thing, which comes with the territory of most of the players coming from Auckland, is that the team seems to be about 98% P.I. The most islander stacked team I've ever seen in my life. Ackland loves his island boys aye? Not saying it's a bad thing, but it's very noticeable when you consider Iro's 2008 team was 50% P.I , 50% Maori/Pakeha.
I noticed that too. I was checking through the images thinking, where are all the honkies to lead these guys around the park?! Jokes...

Spence_old

One thing that I've noticed about the 20's team since Iro left and Ackland joined is that it is more Auckland centric than ever. The first 2 years of NYC the team was full of players from around the country. Matulino, Robinson, Laban and Mara from Wellington, Elijah Taylor from Whangarei, Isaac John from Tokoroa, Steve Rapira from Hamilton, Jason To'u from Rarotonga, Elijah Nikau from Hawkes bay etc..

Obviously Ackland knows what he's doing because his record is 2 from 2 and I can't dispute his coaching ability, however my concern is that our once far stretched net has been shortened to the Greater Auckland area and we may be missing out on the next wave of Wellington players or Northland players or whatever.

Melbourne just invited 30 players from around the country, including the cream of Wellingtons best, to a training camp in Melbourne. https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/6286862/Haimona-has-eye-of-league-scouts

League is alive in well in all regional areas of NZ, they can't solely rely on a trial game in Auckland to recruit all of their players? I feel Ackland is heading towards a completely Auckland team and neglecting the rest of the country.

I think it is actually a bad thing. Not being racist in the slightest, but European and Islander/Maoris develop at different rates, I personally think it's more important looking towards the future, not simply trying to win each year. Pick players that look like they are going to be superstars, not ones that are simply much bigger than their oppositions currently. Obviously some Islanders are already fully developed AND have amazing skills, but when it comes down to someone like Jethro Friend, who has all the skills, but is slightly on the smaller side, I think that their eventual development should be taken into consideration (even if it may be to the detriment to the teams performance for that certain year). That's a hard thing to do, and judge, though, isn't it?

Although, that said, I'm not expert on the subject, so I could be completely off base. Just calling it the way I see it.

Viking_old

It looks like Ackland is tapping a goldmine in Tongan union boys who now make up a good percentage of the squad and at the expense of the local league players to some degree. It seems short sighted and I don't expect many to kick on after NYC but we wouldn't have found Hurrell if they weren't spying at the school games and Acklands success speaks for itself.

I do believe the slack attitude of some of the junior league stars has been their downfall and maybe Ackland gets more motivated players out of the union ranks. On pure abililty and talent I still believe the league boys are ahead, IMO Patrick Vaivai is 10 times the player the Fotofili is, he's stronger, faster and far more skilled but attitude has been the deciding factor.

As for the lack of players from other regions, in the case of Wellington at least, the Storm are getting in first now. It'd be tough for any Chch based players to get a look in for obvious reasons and the other regions were never heavily represented anyway. It is a shame but if player really wants a crack at it, he'll get himself to the Auckland trial, plenty have before.

Northern_Union

I wonder if it is viable for the likes of the Warriors to run two NYC teams? One based out of Auckland and one out of Wellington or Christchurch? When the new TV deal comes in it shouldn't be a money concern that would stop them from doing this.

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Mate you do have a good point . . but their is a bit of reasonining behind that.
The first year Warriors didnt have the extensive development system to DEVELOP players. They had to simply recruit the 'best' players in that age-group.

A few more reasons .. .

Also - they didnt have much of a battle for signatures . .. .

Auckland is the best league nursery in the world . . and easily...

Warriors have so much depth . . . strategically why would a wellington teen want to sign with the warriors at 16 or 17.. when their is so much competition.
If they sign with Melbourne . . . they will get played .. simple as that.

Warriors do chase after some top wellington talent .. . i.e cade umaga etc. . but he chose melbourne over warriors.

If you have to move from Chch to Auckland . . . what a few more km to sydney???

Wellington - Storm and Canberra( Lomax)
Waikato - Panthers

Taranaki would be the most under utilised area imo.
They have solid juniors.

I think wellington and well represented.
They have regular games with warriors development plus against NRL clubs like tigers, melbourne..
Some of their players are big fish in small ponds and get picked up as a result.

You are 100% - Ackland and Dean Bell love big pi boys - everybody knows that.
I dont completely agree with it.

I like spence comment . ."think about long term development" their potential.
While it good to win the NYC . .. does it really matter that much if you win it???
Aslong as we in the finals .. . i would be happy.

i watched the dev. featuring plenty of this squad . . play against NZ maori (featuring a few aswell)
Dev. had massive island boys like Vete . . but maori nearly beat them and many had more potential.

Havili, has been close to 100kg with a big moustache since he was 14 or 15 lol.
(though he has skill aswell). But physically been able to play nyc for years.

I have heard rumours or jokes . .. Hurrell was actually older than 20 last year and travelled on fake passport a la pakistani crickets greats to further his career.

Guys like Hiku, nikau and Friend have forced their selection.
Ackland probably didnt pick them oer se.

Hiku is built like a stick . .. but was fullback of the year in the fox and plays as hard as anybody.. He even made the residents team.

Friend .. should have been in the side last year imo . . . he played a whole year of fox and for counties-manukau. If you can handle that level football and excell.
They dont have blokes like tony tuia playing NYC.

Nikau . .not quite as fast as lolohea etc . . but hard as nails, good instincts and obviously has good pedigree and heart.

Funniest thing .. . the strongest guy in the squad is the only white guy.
James Taylor he benches more than most of the Top squad and still fast over 20m.

There are a few maori or part maori plus by the looks a few raro/niueans etc. Not all tongan/samoan.
Plus heaps of those big tongans are only trialling.

Trent Bishop
Kouma Samson
David Bhana (half indian)
Jethro Friend
Ngatua Hukatai
Miro atera
Thyme Nikau
Tama Koopu
Braxton Stanley
Kurt robinson
Peta Hiku

slaughterhouse.sa_old

It looks like Ackland is tapping a goldmine in Tongan union boys who now make up a good percentage of the squad and at the expense of the local league players to some degree. It seems short sighted and I don't expect many to kick on after NYC but we wouldn't have found Hurrell if they weren't spying at the school games and Acklands success speaks for itself.

I do believe the slack attitude of some of the junior league stars has been their downfall and maybe Ackland gets more motivated players out of the union ranks. On pure abililty and talent I still believe the league boys are ahead, IMO Patrick Vaivai is 10 times the player the Fotofili is, he's stronger, faster and far more skilled but attitude has been the deciding factor.

As for the lack of players from other regions, in the case of Wellington at least, the Storm are getting in first now. It'd be tough for any Chch based players to get a look in for obvious reasons and the other regions were never heavily represented anyway. It is a shame but if player really wants a crack at it, he'll get himself to the Auckland trial, plenty have before.

Agree totally. . .

Esp. with Vaivai someone said he was heading over to aussie . . hopefully to a NRL club.
i watched a game and he took 2 hittups a set and played a little five eight and even kicked lol.

Fotofili .. . was dissapointing they should have played him more in fox a little first.Tried hard though . . he should mimick a short prop like asotasi in his prime.

Ligi Sau - played rugby but couldnt crack any rep teams - but was much better than fotofili . who was nz no. 8 schoolboys.

two totally different games especially for Forwards.

2big2strong_old

Good input guys, love it!

If Tyme is anything at all like his old man I'd be over the moon. Tawera is my favorite NZ league player of all time. His heart and determination always put him ahead of any of his peers who had greater talent.

Viking_old

Agree totally. . .

Esp. with Vaivai someone said he was heading over to aussie . . hopefully to a NRL club.
i watched a game and he took 2 hittups a set and played a little five eight and even kicked lol.

Fotofili .. . was dissapointing they should have played him more in fox a little first.Tried hard though . . he should mimick a short prop like asotasi in his prime.

Ligi Sau - played rugby but couldnt crack any rep teams - but was much better than fotofili . who was nz no. 8 schoolboys.

two totally different games especially for Forwards.

Patricks had a tough run. He was signed to Melbourne but had to come back when his father fell ill with cancer. I think his father died in 2010 and he's struggled to stay focussed with the Warriors since. I expect the Warriors have tried to help but they'll only do so much then move on to the next superstar waiting for a shot. Pat certainly has the physical attributes to be a professional but it ultimately comes down to attitude and strong mental focus which is a lot to expect from teenagers. Donald Tony has always impressed me in that respect.

I haven't heard about Patrick linking up with another NRL club but I knew he'd been dropped from the Warriors despite playing a huge part in Bay Roskill's promotion to the Fox. He's the most allround skilled jr prop I've seen alongside Ben MM. He doesn't have as much size as Ben but was stronger at the same age and a bit faster IMO. I've seen both of them play at standoff and centre and they were both decent goal kickers in the jr ranks. Ben was a bit of mess before going to Keebra and weighing something like 130kgs, he was very fortunate to get another shot and has made it pay off.

Viking_old

There are a few maori or part maori plus by the looks a few raro/niueans etc. Not all tongan/samoan.
Plus heaps of those big tongans are only trialling.

Trent Bishop
Kouma Samson
David Bhana (half indian)
Jethro Friend
Ngatua Hukatai
Miro atera
Thyme Nikau
Tama Koopu
Braxton Stanley
Kurt robinson
Peta Hiku

I've always been impressed with the Maori league setup and the tournaments that they run around the country. They're so well organised compared to the Samoan jr league setup. Players like Ben Henry can thank Maori league for helping to shape them into good rep players. The Cooks and Tongans aren't too far behind either.

I went to school with David Bhana's father, geez he was bad boy! The Bhana's were the roughest family in Glenfield, half Indian and half Maori. The boys were all good league players for Northcote.