General Vulcans.

Iafeta_old

You reminded me a lot there about the good old Lion Red Cup days.

I remember when the Warriors came into it, you'd have blokes like Hitro Okesene, Stacey Jones, Joe Vagana, Nigel Vagana, Willie Swann, Duanne Mann, Syd Eru and Tony Tatupu going around. When the Warriors were born they had their reserve grade team in the competition. It was a very good standard of competition, I think that competition would match what the NSWRL is, as long as you streamline it to say a 6 team competition.

The thing you'd need to make it successful is TV rights worth a bit of dough, to start then building up corporate support.

Viking_old

the queensland nrl teams reserve grade side play in the queensland cup

the nsw nrl teams reserve grade sides play in the nsw cup

nz is not a league backwater we can have a the warriors reserve grade side playing in a new zealand cup! if you bilud it they will come!

8 team nz premiership -warriors reserves
-auckland (arl)
-northland (with draft players from north harbour clubs)
-waikato
- bay of plenty
-wellington
-canterbury
- west coast ( with draft players from canterbury)

the rugby union npc is at the end of the winter so we could should have our nz rugby league cup earlier in the season with the final agt the end of august.

could easily be done hook up some sponsors for each side pub, local bussinsess, get funding thru city councils, sparc, lotto grants. do contra deals with local papers and radio stations free advertising in exchange for free jersey selve logo's ground signage. the nzrl could get some tv money from sky or prime or maori tv and give each club a small grant for thier operational costs. and gate takings maybe $5 to get in gold coin for student and benficiaries free for kids under 16 and youve got a semi pro comp happening!

the australian worship has to stop would be great if we could just back ourselves we can have a comp that is up to qld & nsw cup standards. and down the line when we get a 2nd nrl side from nz thier reserves can play in this comp as well!

Manly reserves play in the QLD cup and their side, the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles took out the competition yesterday.

Your proposal is a revamp of the Bartercard comp that was scrapped a few years ago because it was so poorly supported and leaking hundreds of thousands of dollars a year. The only difference is that you'd have one Auckland team and a Warriors reserves side.

Your proposed Auckland team would have the former Vulcans players and would destroy the other provinces as they did last year against Canterbury in the league NPC final. The Warriors reserves would beat the Auckland team 9 times out of ten and would give the other regions humiliating losses as the Junior Warriors did in trial matches at the beginning of the year only worse. 100-nil score lines would be the norm.

The reality is that Auckland has more players than the rest of the country put together and even they would be less than the Parramatta area alone. For a national semi-pro competition to be viable, player numbers need to rise dramatically outside of Auckland. One area I can see league benefiting from is rugby's plan to cut teams from the NPC division 1 comp which would see a lot or players outside the main centres losing an income stream. League could swoop on those players who are already at a semi-professional level, to help form a competitive side in a proposed national league comp.

As far as the Warriors reserves go, the Warriors will have to bite the bullet and stump up the cash to field a reserve side in the NSW cup which would cost less than Jacob Lillyman's salary. They already pay the players wages so it's only the cost of travel, accomodation and training stafff that they have to worry about. I can't see the QLD cup taking on an extra team or wanting to travel to NZ and the NSW cup needs new teams more.

Last edited by a moderator:

motu1_old

the nrl should create a second grade the same as toyota cup
2nd grade
toyota cup
1st grade

it would be better for fans players and well everyone

kiwi's 13-6_old

viking i dont think that the arl team would smash canterbury actually they lost to them a couple of weeks ago and also lost to canterbury last year as well. an if you have a semi pro comp thats when provinces sign up playing talent to boost what they have got to work with!

the franchise thing dosnt work the lion red cup and batercard cup have proved that twice already. provincial rep sides with a couple of semi pro imports ( get players kiwi player back from australia/uk/france or sign up some one from png or islands wellington did that back in the day signed a guy called ben moide from png). hook up jobs as league development officers in each area for 1 or 2 of the players in team or get people jobs for sponsor bussinesses eg ( work as barman or doorman in a sponsors bar etc). pay the whole squad a minium $50 a week training allowance and $100 win bonus.

many kiwi's are playing for win bonuses/ a job and or accomodation in lower tier aussie clubs, lower grades in the uk and the french comp. with a semi pro comp we would have something to offer these players at home.

this new nzrl board could do it just need a plan and work with the provinces to help them with what they need eg: advice and training on how to get sponsorship/funding/ event promotion/marketing/budgeting/coaching standards etc.

Euro1990_old

the nrl should create a second grade the same as toyota cup
2nd grade
toyota cup
1st grade

it would be better for fans players and well everyone

Yeah. Like i do remember they had Premier League which included every single team having a reserve grade team.

motu1_old

Yeah. Like i do remember they had Premier League which included every single team having a reserve grade team.

yeah but that was a bit mudeled
every thing needs to be the same name,draw,jerseys etc
and they'll be sweet nsw cup is so sh1t

Euro1990_old

yeah but that was a bit mudeled
every thing needs to be the same name,draw,jerseys etc
and they'll be sweet nsw cup is so sh1t

Yeah. Like whenever i was on holidays a couple of years ago i was going to see the Panthers vs Warriors game in Sydney. Then Premier League begun and the match was the Cougars vs Lions and i was like who the hell are they.

Would be awesome to have a league like reserve grade. Plus whenever your going to see a game of footy there will be three games in one day. Like the teams in the senior grade and toyota cup playing in reserve grade. Awesome.

motu1_old

the system they have got now is so confusing canberra players playing inthe qld cup
and nsw teams playing at juinor grounds no one goes to watch them but i think more would with this sort of system three games of qaulity football for the price of one
and the nrl should talk to the stadiums about food price's and drinks and let us bring our own food thats why no one goes not because they can't run on to the pitch

Viking_old

viking i dont think that the arl team would smash canterbury actually they lost to them a couple of weeks ago and also lost to canterbury last year as well. an if you have a semi pro comp thats when provinces sign up playing talent to boost what they have got to work with!

the franchise thing dosnt work the lion red cup and batercard cup have proved that twice already. provincial rep sides with a couple of semi pro imports ( get players kiwi player back from australia/uk/france or sign up some one from png or islands wellington did that back in the day signed a guy called ben moide from png). hook up jobs as league development officers in each area for 1 or 2 of the players in team or get people jobs for sponsor bussinesses eg ( work as barman or doorman in a sponsors bar etc). pay the whole squad a minium $50 a week training allowance and $100 win bonus.

many kiwi's are playing for win bonuses/ a job and or accomodation in lower tier aussie clubs, lower grades in the uk and the french comp. with a semi pro comp we would have something to offer these players at home.

this new nzrl board could do it just need a plan and work with the provinces to help them with what they need eg: advice and training on how to get sponsorship/funding/ event promotion/marketing/budgeting/coaching standards etc.

The games Canterbury won both times were against teams with no Vulcans players and some of the best Fox players this year were involved in the Auckland final series so the Auckland team were mostly made up of players from teams that were already eliminated. When the Vulcans came back for the NPC final last year it was pretty one sided affair. Now the Vulcans have finished for the year I expect the same thing to happen again.

Being realistic, $50 training allowance and $100 win bonus is peanuts, that's what the Fogs colts teenagers in QLD get paid, some of the top Auckland players would be on 4 or more times that a win and the good QLD cup players would be on 10 times that. If you wanted to attract good players ie above local club standard, you should be looking at 10K per year per player. If you wanted to bring Kiwi's back from overseas with the lure of playing semi-pro league then you could double that amount. That sort of money could entice good union players away in the areas that have small playing numbers like Taranaki and BOP etc.

The other problem is funding. The Vulcans were paid for by the ARL who have plenty of cash but a national competition has to be paid for by the NZRL who might just be out of debt if they're lucky. SPARC are giving them 400K which should probably go into developing the sport rather than propping up a national competition. One of the conditions of the SPARC funding is that a real national competition is created, knowing the NZRL and New Zealand it'll be a half-assed rush job.

I still don't see where the Warriors reserves would fit in this or if it could be at a level that would keep them sharp enough for the step up to NRL. I doubt it.

kiwi's 13-6_old

ok so the auckland npc side didnt include players in the fox semi finals, but including the vulcans as an indication of aucklands playing strength is a bit unfair when the likes of lewis brown is from canterbury and vince mellars is from wellington and theirs a couple of aussies that play for the vulcans.

never the less canterbury can only play the team put in front of them and the team auckland put in front of canterbury was beaten! i think well managed and selected waikato and wellington line ups boosted by a couple of full time pro's could knock auckland off regularly as well. in late 80's and early 90's wellington was slightly ahead of canterbury and both wellington and canterbury had victories against auckland!

yeah $50 training allowance and $100 win bonus was a suggestion as the minimun player payment. $10K contract plus a job as a league development officer paying $30.000 plus would do the trick to get a few people back from oversea's. each side could have 1 or 2 players like that. $40,000 thats what a teacher makes a year! nothing to be sneezed when you consider that youd be getting paid to do something many do for free!

i would love to get a job helping nzrl setting up a national comp.

Viking_old

ok so the auckland npc side didnt include players in the fox semi finals, but including the vulcans as an indication of aucklands playing strength is a bit unfair when the likes of lewis brown is from canterbury and vince mellars is from wellington and theirs a couple of aussies that play for the vulcans.

never the less canterbury can only play the team put in front of them and the team auckland put in front of canterbury was beaten! i think well managed and selected waikato and wellington line ups boosted by a couple of full time pro's could knock auckland off regularly as well. in late 80's and early 90's wellington was slightly ahead of canterbury and both wellington and canterbury had victories against auckland!

yeah $50 training allowance and $100 win bonus was a suggestion as the minimun player payment. $10K contract plus a job as a league development officer paying $30.000 plus would do the trick to get a few people back from oversea's. each side could have 1 or 2 players like that. $40,000 thats what a teacher makes a year! nothing to be sneezed when you consider that youd be getting paid to do something many do for free!

i would love to get a job helping nzrl setting up a national comp.

When I'm talking Vulcans I really mean the non-contracted Auckland club players who make up the core of the squad, those were the players that thumped Canterbury in last years final, there were no Warrior contracted players involved in the NPC, there is a rule against it I'm sure. Brown was at Balmain and Vince Mellars was playing rugby for Canterbury.

I know that Wellington and Canterbury are strong and maybe they would beat Auckland, but that's only 3 teams out of your proposed 8, the rest will be fighting for the scraps which is basically what's happening now in the Bcard NPC. I'd hate to see another lopsided competition. It might sound like I'm a cheerleader for Auckland league but what I'm really trying to say is that there would be huge gap between the top and bottom teams compared to the QLD and NSW cup, mainly because all their teams are based in strong league playing areas. The St Mary's club in Penrith that kingkole mentioned would have more teams in the one club than all the teams in the Waikato and BOP combined.

You can't transplant players to the weaker areas to try and level the playing field either unless you're prepared to pay top dollar. What semi pro player would want to move to New Plymouth to play league for an extra $200 a week which is what a 10K contract is in weekly payments. I doubt that the Taranaki league could afford giving 2 players a full time development job plus 10K contracts never mind paying the 20 or so players needed to form a team. It's a case of the haves versus the have nots.

If you were given the job of setting up a national competition how would you go about it without repeating the mistakes from the failed Bartercard comp? How much money would you need and where does it come from? How would you attract good players to areas like BOP, Taranaki or the West Coast? Most importantly, how do you get the public interested enough to part with enough money for it to remain viable?

Viking_old

the system they have got now is so confusing canberra players playing inthe qld cup
and nsw teams playing at juinor grounds no one goes to watch them but i think more would with this sort of system three games of qaulity football for the price of one
and the nrl should talk to the stadiums about food price's and drinks and let us bring our own food thats why no one goes not because they can't run on to the pitch

That's what the Vulcans were hoping for this year, to be playing the same day as the Warriors and either feature on the main ground as an early game or next door at Mt Smart no 2. It would give the players big stadium exposure and keep the Warriors players closer to the top team to cover injuries. It wasn't to be.

kiwi's 13-6_old

viking i think that it would be more competitive you think. just look at some of this years results!

-wellington were only beaten 14-16 by a try in the final seconds by the full stregth auckland side with all fox players and vulcans avaliable.
-wellington was thrashed by waikato 30-0 so theoritically waikato could defeat auckland!
-west coast who arent even in the npc beat canterbury in a warm up game. canterbury beat auckland (without thier mr spocks and fox semi finalist). so maybe at home west coast could do the same to a similar aucks side!
-manawatu who also arent in the npc beat taranaki in a warm up as well.

only 1 or 2 players per side in my purposed module would be pro or on big contracts/have a development officer job. the rest could come from nearby regions. West coast can pick up a few players from canterbury. manawatu and maybe taranaki can draft players from wellington. northland could form a partnership with clubs like hibiscus coast and east coast bays.

one thing i would stress that should be learned from the past is club football has to beplayed as curtain raiser to the npc. all players in npc must be registered for a club in that area. maybe thier should be a break in npc of finish the npc before the clubs across the country have thier local semi finals and final. the rugby union npc is at the end of the season so why do we have our npc at the same time!
i would also bring back the national club championship as it always has been at the end of the season. when clubs can have all thier npc registered player avaliable.

as for funding sponsorship for the naming rights of the comp, tv money, pays for travel expenses and match officals. even jerseys could be supplied by sponsorship which would be organised by the nzrl.

as for how a side raises funds that up to them but if the nzrl was doing it's job it would provide assistance with contacts re: coaching/management/possible avenues for sponsorship and gevernment grants. nzrl set up a website for the comp an give each side a home page like nrl.com where they can put up pictures, player rosters, results, sponsor acknowledgments etc. thier are agents out thier who are sponsorship recruiters basically they try an raise your budget (including thier fee on top) from thier networks and experience. or another option is do it through league channells say an ex player or supporter owns a successful trucking business or pub get them to chip in. they get thier logo on the jersey at the ground in newspaper ads and on tv when thier game is televised gives their bussiness valueable exposure. then thier government grants for youth/maori/pacific island grants/ sports grants/ local council grants etc. lotteries grants an so on. even the old meat raffle whatever it takes as long as it's legit to meet your budget.lastly if you get 500 people paying $5 thats $2500 at the gate an more than pays the $100 win bonuses for the team.

but your right if a side cant put a concrete solid side on the field with a decent off field team coaching/management/medical staff/volunteers for various tasks them they shoulntt be in the comp. if they cant get at least 200-300 paying a modest fee at the gate then they shouldnt be thier in the comp.
places like west coast, manawatu, even huntly or ngruawhahia in the waikato can get that i imagine thiers often not all that much to do thier at times an $5 to suppourt a sport they love is not asking to much.

anyways sorry about the lenght of the post but i've got even more ideas than that but just want to get people thinking an show the level of thought and planning that is required to make it a success!

Viking_old

viking i think that it would be more competitive you think. just look at some of this years results!

-wellington were only beaten 14-16 by a try in the final seconds by the full stregth auckland side with all fox players and vulcans avaliable.
-wellington was thrashed by waikato 30-0 so theoritically waikato could defeat auckland!
-west coast who arent even in the npc beat canterbury in a warm up game. canterbury beat auckland (without thier mr spocks and fox semi finalist). so maybe at home west coast could do the same to a similar aucks side!
-manawatu who also arent in the npc beat taranaki in a warm up as well.

only 1 or 2 players per side in my purposed module would be pro or on big contracts/have a development officer job. the rest could come from nearby regions. West coast can pick up a few players from canterbury. manawatu and maybe taranaki can draft players from wellington. northland could form a partnership with clubs like hibiscus coast and east coast bays.

one thing i would stress that should be learned from the past is club football has to beplayed as curtain raiser to the npc. all players in npc must be registered for a club in that area. maybe thier should be a break in npc of finish the npc before the clubs across the country have thier local semi finals and final. the rugby union npc is at the end of the season so why do we have our npc at the same time!
i would also bring back the national club championship as it always has been at the end of the season. when clubs can have all thier npc registered player avaliable.

as for funding sponsorship for the naming rights of the comp, tv money, pays for travel expenses and match officals. even jerseys could be supplied by sponsorship which would be organised by the nzrl.

as for how a side raises funds that up to them but if the nzrl was doing it's job it would provide assistance with contacts re: coaching/management/possible avenues for sponsorship and gevernment grants. nzrl set up a website for the comp an give each side a home page like nrl.com where they can put up pictures, player rosters, results, sponsor acknowledgments etc. thier are agents out thier who are sponsorship recruiters basically they try an raise your budget (including thier fee on top) from thier networks and experience. or another option is do it through league channells say an ex player or supporter owns a successful trucking business or pub get them to chip in. they get thier logo on the jersey at the ground in newspaper ads and on tv when thier game is televised gives their bussiness valueable exposure. then thier government grants for youth/maori/pacific island grants/ sports grants/ local council grants etc. lotteries grants an so on. even the old meat raffle whatever it takes as long as it's legit to meet your budget.lastly if you get 500 people paying $5 thats $2500 at the gate an more than pays the $100 win bonuses for the team.

but your right if a side cant put a concrete solid side on the field with a decent off field team coaching/management/medical staff/volunteers for various tasks them they shoulntt be in the comp. if they cant get at least 200-300 paying a modest fee at the gate then they shouldnt be thier in the comp.
places like west coast, manawatu, even huntly or ngruawhahia in the waikato can get that i imagine thiers often not all that much to do thier at times an $5 to suppourt a sport they love is not asking to much.

anyways sorry about the lenght of the post but i've got even more ideas than that but just want to get people thinking an show the level of thought and planning that is required to make it a success!

You've put a lot of thought into and most of it makes sense. A few points are optimistic but far be it from me to dampen anyone's enthusiasm. SPARC have made it part of their requirements for funding to the NZRL that a national competition be created, what the time frame for that is I don't know. To be done properly it would need a massively co-ordinated effort from all the regions over the next year to get it ready for 2011.

My real fear is that it's done badly and on the cheap in typical Kiwi fashion, further tarnishing leagues image in this country. The most important lesson we can learn from the Australians and the QLD cup in particular is to be professional in everything we do. The days of amateurishly run comps are over, the public demands better when they're asked to part with money today because they're spoilt for choice.

The NZRL must take care of the funding for a national competition, it shouldn't be left to the regions to find the cash because some already have it and the rest have to find it which just won't happen. Looking long term league must find a way to generate it's own money outside of grants, they have to find a way of becoming profitable be it through leagues clubs or smart investing or whatever.

Professional fund raising outfits that apply for grants for a fee should be illegal in my opinion, it's unethical. Some members of my partners extended family do that and are as dodgy as hell. Leagues image is tarnished in the eyes of many of the grant givers. We tried to get funding for our Boxing/Thai Boxing gym a few years back and had to change the name of the non-profit society we had created to remove the word boxing as it had too many negative connotations in the eyes of those in charge of dishing out the money. League is pretty close to being in the same boat. Every NRL star that wacks his missus does the sport a huge disservice. The NZRL should be above that level of revenue gathering anyway.

2B2S posted an interesting rundown in another thread on the setup in Toowoomba where Steve Price and many other NRL stars are from. They've got an impressive organization where all teenage and senior players are paid, the support is huge and big games charge at the gate. The NZRL would do well to have a look at their business model to ensure success.

In the short term though, I don't see how any of this would benefit the Warriors and their backup players. A national comp would take time to build up to a level that would keep their players sharp so they have some immediate problems for 2010.

kingkole_old

I would love to see a national comp but the work has to start from the ground up if i was forwarding a model that would benefit NZRL my proposal would look like this.

RESTRUCTURE THE SCHOOLS COMP/
HOW-CREATE 2 DIVISIONS SIMILAR TO THE COLLEGE FOOTBALL SET UP IN AMERICA.ID CREATE A NORTHERN BIG 10 -AND A SOUTHERN BIG 10.
INCOME/SPONSORHIP.Schools will submit sponsorship by bringing on board major sponsor eg nike, reebok,adidas this will generate income schools can make and sell there own merchandise.

the top 2 sides from each division will playoff for the title eg nth champs and sth champs with the top to sides from both islands playing of for a national championship.

By doing it this way your always having interest from both islands who will always have someone to support,

if we develop the grassroots we start getting more parents involved who in the long run will hopefully support the game for a longer term.

My structure for a National Comp will be

I think a regional system will work if structured correctly.

NORTHISLAND TEAMS

-NORTHERN (nthland,auckland,ntharbour,counties)
-MID-NTH (BOP,WAIKATOE,SURRONDING REGIONS)
-CENTRAL(WELLINGTON,PAM,HKSBAY,SURRONDING REGION)

SOUTHISLAND TEAMS:
-TASMAN
-CANTUR
-LOWER SOUTH (OTAGO,SOUTHLAND,SURRONDING REGIONS)

Players who gradute from the high school comp will go into a national draft and will be distributed to there respected teams.

I will also look at promoting pacific island league by introducing teams such as

-Tonga nz residents
-Samoan nz residents
-Fijian nz residents

Hopefully this will generate excitment amongts the island communities which in turn will generate more income by getting these communities to support there teams,I also believe that by including these teams in a national comp it will create an exciting brand which we hope will be good enough to generate more sponsorship.

This comp is designed to benefit rugby league in NZ not just the warriors if we can build a strong national comp we can rule R/L for the NXT 100 yrs.

IDEAS to generate income

CREATE LEAGUES CLUBS
MAJOR SPONSORSHIP
FRANCHISING
GENERATING OUTSIDE INCOME TO SUPPORT YOUR TEAM (EG-PROPERTY INVESTMENT ETC)

Just a few thoughts.

kiwi's 13-6_old

kingkole i agree with you on promoting grassroots involvement. not sure i fully grasp what your saying. about regional comps! wellington would win the central one easily maybe manawatu or taranaki can upset them but hawkesbay has no chance at all. and canterbury would win the south only competition would be west coast, tasman and otago have next to no teams at the present time so only other side would be southland.

i think its better for sides like canterbury, wellington, waikato who are always competitive and any other province that cant get it's act together to be playing in a national comp as it forces them to reach higher playing standards. and it would be hard to sponsorship and television coverage for regional comp as opposed to a nationwide comp.

your idea for regional rep comps would be good for a 2nd division of the npc based on regions eg canterbury and maybe the west coast are in a national comp, while tasman, southland, otago play in a regional 2nd division. say if the west coast cant cut it on the national comp they drop down to 2nd division and a play off between each regions tops sides determine who take thier spot as long as they side can meet basic funding/admistration requirements.

as for nz samoans ans nz tongans thier are pacific cups that used to happen in auckland and still runingwellington at the end of the season that pacific maori and a colonial team plays in. as for nz fijians you would struggle to put a nz fijian side together thiers very few fijians that live in nz. only fijian player i can think of in nz at the moment is meli koliavu or something from wellington who i think now plays for jr warriors. in the past theirs been 1 0r 2 fijian play league in wellington, tui matawalu a few year ago played for university and wellington in the batercard and ages back in tghe 90's joe ramacake played for marist northern.

do you live in nz kingkole?

kingkole_old

Iam from nz and played all my rep footy there before i got scouted and came to aussie.
My idea in regards to national comp was to set the teams up in a similar fasion to the super 14 franchises, instead of having seperate teams play them as combined regions.

So you have 3 northern franchises and 2 southern franchises that gives you 5teams if you combine those five teams with the island sides tonga.fiji,samoa,even the cookislands.this gives you a nine team comp.

rounds work like this

each nz sides plays each other twicw H/AWY-8GAMES
The pacific island teams 6 games
Then both sets of squades play each other once
the top sides play of for the title.

also as an added bonus the top pacific side can be awarded with a pacific island cup.

the point iam trying to make in regards to the pacific island sides is that by them creating a franchises brand for themselves there going to have to find new ways to stay

-financialy viable
-be able to recruite and develop players
-and promote the game throughout the islands.
-look at new avenues to recruit, rugby union or even the islands if you have to.

I believe the game needs to grow and with the kiwis now world champions this will be a primetime for them to do that.

kiwi's 13-6_old

regional franchises just havnt captured the publics attention in the past, but provincal sides have and did up until the mid 1990's when the warriors came in . look at waicoa bay for example most people in nz arent going to no where or what the hell that is or was! but if you say waikato or bay of plenty everyone know where and what they are.

maybe a nz residents could tour the islands and the next pacific cup could be played fiji or tonga. (this years one is in png). but island teams in a new zealand domestic competition when nzrl is already cash strapped is just not going to happen short term. even a 6 0r 8 team nz comp is going to need a major sponsor to cover travel cost or at the very least discounted tickets. akld to christchruch is $300 return time that by 20 and your looking at $6000 dollars. now nz to samoa/fiji/cook island/tonga is at least $750 return. just to expensive for week in week out competition.

any nz domestic comp is going to have to run on a certain amount of goodwill and volunteers as well as a bit of macgyver magic. also cost have to be kept down if auckland plays bay of plenty or canterbury plays west coast, or wellington plays manawatu your going thier by bus! flights should only be for place not in 3hrs driving distance.