General Vulcans.

kiwi's 13-6_old

i'd like to see the vulcans/warriors reserves playing local provincial side like the used to back in the 90's. they could play a few friendlies in the early season then be a part of an npc in mid season. with the likes of west coast(south island) beating canterbury and manawatu beat taranaki it show thiers talent out thier, how do people think the vulcans would go against the arl rep side that lost to canterbury resently?

warriors reserves could play an auckland (arl rep team) waikato, bop, wellington, taranaki, manawatu, canterbury, west coast. even have northland in thier side like northland, manawatu, west coast could draft a few players from neigbouring provinces auckland, wellington and canterbury respectivily for thier npc season to help make the comp more competitive!

we could invest some of the money spent on the vulcans airfares an accomodation cost on a new npc, and people in the regions would get to see a few warriors and fringe first graders play in their area against the best from thier province, im positive if well run and with a bit of promotion and with local club game as a curtain raisers youd see crowd of 500 - to 1,000 people on a regular basis whatching

Swanley_old

no

We need a reserve team in the NSW Cup.

the Warriros have suffered in the past by not having a proper reserve team.

it need's to stay.

Swanley_old

maybe that, but they need to stay.

it gives the fringe 1st garders a decent game each week.

Viking_old

I think McGivor said a few weeks ago that ARL weren't going to have the Vulcans next year. Compared to the other NSW Cup sides, the Vulcans are run on a shoe string, the ARL have put up airfares and accomodation but not much support. Most players not contracted to the Warriors would make more money playing for their club side.

Time for the Warriors to stump up the cash and field their own reserve grade side, the free ride is over. ARL can put the money back into local footy but probably won't.

Viking_old

Or, move them to the queensland cup

Q Cup teams won't want to travel and don't need the Warriors in their comp, the NSW Cup teams didn't like it.

As I see it, the Warriors only have two choices. Field their own reserve grade team based at Mt Smart or send players to an existing Q Cup team. I doubt the Q Cup option could work.

Swanley_old

that is interesting.

I just think it will be a backward step if we lost the "reserves".

Viking_old

that is interesting.

I just think it will be a backward step if we lost the "reserves".

I agree. In any one week there's usually at least 10 uninjured Warriors not playing 1st grade and possibly twice as many U20s players. Not many 20s players are physically up to NSW Cup standard though, those that are will already be playing Toyota Cup.

This is the team Bankstown Bulls fielded last week, almost every player is NRL standard:

BRENT CRISP
HEKA NANAI
DARYL MILLARD
MATT UTAI
NICK TAYLOR
BEN BARBA
DANIEL HOLDSWORTH
CHARLIE LEAENO
MICHAEL SULLIVAN
JOHN KITE
DANNY WILLIAMS
BRAD MORRIN
LEE TE MAARI

FRED BRIGGS
JAKE FOSTER
HARLAN ALAALATOA
PEE WEE MOKE

COACH
TERRY LAMB

The Vulcans don't have much 1st grade experience to call on themselves with the injuries in the Warriors. Last week only Issac John, Daniel O'Regan and Vince Mellars had played NRL, the first two only have 4 games between them. Not looking good for the Vulcans against Bankstown this Saturday.

danco_old

Vulcans were hammered 66 - 12. They should be chopped from the NSW Cup.

Dump the Vulans and dump the Warriors what will you moan at then, its only a bloody game and those poor *******s in the Vulcans play on a shoe string, give them a break.

PB_old

The Vulcans don't have much 1st grade experience to call on themselves with the injuries in the Warriors. Last week only Issac John, Daniel O'Regan and Vince Mellars had played NRL, the first two only have 4 games between them. Not looking good for the Vulcans against Bankstown this Saturday.

Agreed, but we can add Jeremiah Pai to the list of those who have played first grade. I think he played centre last week?

Rather than compare the top side, let's look at one closer to where the Vulcans sit. Players who I know have played first grade are in bold.

SHELLHARBOUR MARLINS

1 Michael Lett
2 Jeff Zwolsman
3 Chase Stanley
4 Troy Savage
5 Richie Retimana
6 Matthew Head
7 Scott Jones
8 Ricky Thorby
9 Luke Priddis
10 Alex Ranieri
11 Daniel Deaves
12 Scott Sablowski
13 Scott J. Jones

Interchange
14 Simon Greaves
15 Daniel Fepuleai
16 Daniel Green
24 Ryan Russell

COACH
Mark Horo

Not jammed full, but there's three in there that would walk into our top side and this team is only two spots off last. I think it emphasises Viking's point even more. The Vulcans are not stacked with first grade talent, well funded, or with a dominant player, or a seamless link to the top team, or even with rank given the light shines on the U20s, but a reserve team is definitely needed. The other clubs need one don't they? Our club has to build a true identity beyond being a billboard for a multinational brand name or a regionless catch-cry. Appearing to isolate anyone not in firsts or U20s and leaving the locals to provide an answer for you is not going to get results for anyone.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkW_old

I'm not sure what sort of financial deal the Warriors have with the Vulcans. From what I gather it's a 'we loan you some fringe first graders - you sort the rest out'. There may be some sort of travel deal as well?

Anyway, It's time for the Warriors to front up and take charge/responsibility of the reserves team. Make it a fully fledged Warriors reserve grade in other words.

Of course, it all comes down to money in the end. But what other option do the Warriors have? Playing the fringe first graders in the ARL comp would be much much cheaper but would it be beneficial in terms of quality opposition... probably not.

Realistically, what benefits do the ARL get out of the Vulcans? I'm guessing there aren't many other than a handful of Auckland players getting the chance to play in an Aussie comp.

garyhobson_old

I agree. In any one week there's usually at least 10 uninjured Warriors not playing 1st grade and possibly twice as many U20s players. Not many 20s players are physically up to NSW Cup standard though, those that are will already be playing Toyota Cup.

This is the team Bankstown Bulls fielded last week, almost every player is NRL standard:

BRENT CRISP
HEKA NANAI
DARYL MILLARD
MATT UTAI
NICK TAYLOR
BEN BARBA
DANIEL HOLDSWORTH
CHARLIE LEAENO
MICHAEL SULLIVAN
JOHN KITE
DANNY WILLIAMS
BRAD MORRIN
LEE TE MAARI

FRED BRIGGS
JAKE FOSTER
HARLAN ALAALATOA
PEE WEE MOKE

COACH
TERRY LAMB

That looks like the Bulldogs team that came last in 2008. Luckly they managed to sign some decent players, perhaps something the Warriors should consider for 2010. Tim Smith.

garyhobson_old

Queensland cup is a better comp for the Vulcans to play in. They should just get all the fringe Warrior first graders in, a few under20 boys, and the best of the best of the Bartercard Cup players to be in the side. The Broncoes rate the Queensland cup a better comp to play in than the under20s, which is why they have been sending Dan Hunt (best player of the u20s 2008) to play there, aswell as playing him in games in the u20s to make him eligible for the u20s finals series.

Viking_old

That looks like the Bulldogs team that came last in 2008. Luckly they managed to sign some decent players, perhaps something the Warriors should consider for 2010. Tim Smith.

Those guys have all played for the NRL side this year. Last year the club had poor coaching, lack of a good halfback and the SBW fiasco to content with.

The QLD cup is much better organised and supported but I don't see how any of their teams can benefit from taking our fringe 1st graders. They all have deals with other clubs and don't need the disruption of a handfull of players supplied by the Warriors. For it to work our players would need to be based in Qld, that's not going to work for the players with families. I can't see it working.