General vulcans

2big2strong_old

I've gotta say I was very impressed with Wade McDade in the world cup, looks like a real handful but ran out of puff too quick. If a club put him through the right conditioning he could be as good as any prop in the game. Asotasi like in his runs.

Viking_old

I've gotta say I was very impressed with Wade McDade in the world cup, looks like a real handful but ran out of puff too quick. If a club put him through the right conditioning he could be as good as any prop in the game. Asotasi like in his runs.

He was the Vulcans player of the year in 08, doesn't run out of puff generally but maybe the pace of the game got him. He's a similar height to Roy but wider, just puts 100% into everything he does. He even beat my boy in a sprint drill once, something the boy will never live down!

JonB_old

True. Is this the beginning of the end of Tuimivave?

No that was a when he decided that he didn't want to commit as much as he could of to being a pro footballer, he didn't have all the natural talent in the world by any stretch but he certainly could of been fitter and stronger at this point in his career. It has not been that hard for Rap's to jump a head of him in the pecking order.

Viking_old

The Vulcans played plenty of juniors, too, especially towards the end, around the same time as the U20s did. They'll be without Packer for most of the season.

Locke seems to be their key. (Wow... Worst. Accidental. Pun. Ever.) He is electric, but they didn't play him for the whole match.

And then, of course, there's those rogue Vulcans who keep breaking the U20s players...lol...Viking, hope your boy doesn't feel too bad. ;)

Found out today that it wasn't Peter Mills that my boy hurt, turns out Peter was already concussed in the Hamilton game. I couldn't see from where I was sitting and just assumed it was him. Good luck for Peter but not so good for the other fullback that came off, it looked pretty bad and he was down for quite a while. Whoever it was looked a very promising back up to Kevin and Peter at fullback.

I think it must of been either Gowan Duff or Brandon Nixon. I don't know either of them by face.

Last edited by a moderator:

2big2strong_old

No that was a when he decided that he didn't want to commit as much as he could of to being a pro footballer, he didn't have all the natural talent in the world by any stretch but he certainly could of been fitter and stronger at this point in his career. It has not been that hard for Rap's to jump a head of him in the pecking order.

Haha, I'm of the same view.

I think he worries more about his golf swing than furthering his football career to be honest, after watching that vodafone onetribe DVD.

Tintin_old

Don't believe everything you read, it was the Warriors site making excuses for the loss. The only injured players I know of are the Lousi brothers. How can you have an injury ravaged team when you have 47 players in the squad at your disposal?

It looked men against boys until the second half when the Vulcans fielded a completely local team bar Foran with my boy at 17 and 2 19 year olds, a string of 20-21 year olds and they still outscored the 20s 3 tries to 1. In fact one of the 19 yr olds was having his first game of league, having just joined the team during the week after being sent over to the Vulcans by the assistant coach of the Warriors 20s and he scored a try on debut.

That 20s team was almost exactly the same as the one that gave the Waikato and Hawkes bay teams a hiding, who were also men, in fact this team was stronger. They ran more subs than the Vulcans too, it looked like they had about 5 more. They were missing Ah Mau, Packer and Taylor but the tries they conceded were mostly scored out wide. You can't really count Ben M but granted he could've kept the score closer. The 22 points were basically from Locke and Peter Mills, both fullbacks who were the standouts in my mind. Locke was getting hit hard though, I saw him get nailed 3 times and it was a wise move to sub him. Poor Peter Mills lasted about 10 mins, engineered a nice try for Likiliki then was injured badly.

The Vulcans were missing more first line quality in:
Wayne McDade - Samoan RLWC prop
Kimi Uasi - Tongan RLWC backup hooker to Latu
Pale Ale - Monster 2 rower who played NZA 2 years ago
Nuivao Taka - Tonga U20s rep and Sharman player of the year in 08 and in my opinion is one of the top 4 Kiwi centres in the country and thats including Ropati.

The quality is there for the 20s but the leadership wasn't now that they don't have O'Regan who steered the ship last year IMO. I mentioned to Jesbass after the game that I think the 20s fortunes will rely heavily on how many games Packer plays for them. Captaincy would be a burden to Lockes game I feel, leave him to do what he does best. It sounds like Luke Laban is a fairly acomplished leader, maybe he'll step up in the coming weeks. They'll need to be good against the Titans who have a massive forward pack.

I'm afraid this is a case of mistaken identity. Peter Mills didn't play against the Vulcan’s. He was still injured after getting concussed in the game against Waikato.

Viking_old

I'm afraid this is a case of mistaken identity. Peter Mills didn't play against the Vulcan’s. He was still injured after getting concussed in the game against Waikato.

Yeah, I stated that a few posts before yours but didn't bother correcting the one you've quoted. One of my workmates spoke to his mum last night and she'd said that it wasn't him. I think the injured player was Brandon Nixon, I saw him being brought off but don't know the new players really, lots of new faces.

Heard a lot of good things about Peter and I watched the Stags destroy the Mt Alberts 20s team 96-4 last year but the whole team looked awesome that day so it was hard to single him out above everyone else.

mr-rewa_old

The Storm run about half as many juniors but they've been taking the cream from NZ, they recruit very well. Keep an eye out for Theo Stuart and Junior Afu, 2 outstanding 17 year old props who tore the Auckland comps up for years and were JK U16s in 07.

They also singed the bromwich brothers jess (u/20s) and kenny (SG Ball captian) two fine rewa boys

Viking_old

They also singed the bromwich brothers jess (u/20s) and kenny (SG Ball captian) two fine rewa boys

What age group were they playing last year? Looks like Necrom's gonna play a big part in the Tigers 20s too.

I heard Graham Woodhouse is playing in OZ now, do you know where he ended up going?

mr-rewa_old

Both played in Melbourne comp last year, south-east I think? Before that jess played for Richmond and Kenny U/16 marlins
Necrom will have a big year I’m sure, got a good head on his shoulders
Don’t know too much about g-man thou heard he’s playing lower grades but not 100% on that

Viking_old

It's all on tomorrow! Smaller stage but bigger opposition.

I'm hoping Witt and Hame don't play because they won't want to risk injury before signing for their new clubs or whatever.

Whoever's going, make sure you get there early - it's a bitch for parking just for club games normally but tomorrow the ARL are having their club conference/AGM there followed by the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spence_old

Hey Viking, can you give me the details again? I can't find the thread where you posted them earlier.

Viking_old

It's at Walter Massey Park in Mangere at 2pm. It's on Massey Rd, it's a big park catering for lots of different sports, the Mangere East grounds are off Hain Rd but the carpark will be full and Hain Rd might be too.

Spence_old

Haha, I just realised you couldn't answer that as you have no idea where I live. Whoops!

:doh:

Viking_old

Best bet would be to get to Otahuhu and either walk or bus from there along Massey Rd. It's roughly 3kms walk from Otahuhu train station to the park according to MAXX. I'd offer to pick you up but we'll be there quite early and won't get a park again.

Spence_old

Don't worry mate, thanks for the offer anyway. The bus goes straight there pretty much, just have to make sure I don't miss my stop. I don't know South Auck very well.

2big2strong_old

I grew up in that hood. You'll get jumped 8 times before you get to the field hahahaha.

Spence_old

Haha, funny story about getting jumped... Coming home late last night, walking along Grafton Bridge and I came up to a group of about 5 16-18 year old Maori/Polynesians. I heard one of them say "Oi what about this guy?" and another said, "Nah, leave him alone, he went to MAGS". Haha that was pretty lucky :lol1: