General vulcans

bigstuboy_old

im predicting a big year for this team they are gunna have a huge amount of good players in there lineup that havent cracked the top grade that result against the juniors was a very good result these a the best junior league players in this country and they dominated them this will only make our club stronger making all players work that much harder to push for that top spot in the top team

Spence_old

Any chance of Sky broadcasting Vulcans matches in the next 3-5 years, if we keep performing? That could only be good for the game. Could the NZRL put some money into televising Bartercard matches, or a highlights package each week or something, or is that hoping too much? Because I think that would be a great way to publicise league in NZ.

bigstuboy_old

look on maori tv they usually have local league on there, im not sure if the vulcans will be on tv this season but if they do perform well that could all change in the future

Jesbass_old

To be honest, I think the Vulcans will have a better season 2009 than the U20s...

2big2strong_old

But the 20's were without Taylor, Packer, Matulino (even though he will play mostly NRL).

I also read they were injury ravaged and half the team didn't play? Playing against men.

I think they will do well but that's the interesting thing about the NYC, it's a completely new team every year because of the age restrictions. It's going to be a great ride.

Spence_old

The U20s didn't look too sharp. What players that played for the Warriors are still eligible?

Jesbass_old

But the 20's were without Taylor, Packer, Matulino (even though he will play mostly NRL).

I also read they were injury ravaged and half the team didn't play? Playing against men.

I think they will do well but that's the interesting thing about the NYC, it's a completely new team every year because of the age restrictions. It's going to be a great ride.

The Vulcans played plenty of juniors, too, especially towards the end, around the same time as the U20s did. They'll be without Packer for most of the season.

Locke seems to be their key. (Wow... Worst. Accidental. Pun. Ever.) He is electric, but they didn't play him for the whole match.

And then, of course, there's those rogue Vulcans who keep breaking the U20s players...lol...Viking, hope your boy doesn't feel too bad. ;)

2big2strong_old

They'll be without Packer for most of the season.

Where's he going?

I think Royal will get the other bench spot while they continue to slowly blood Packer so he doesn't ruin himself like last year.

Spence_old

Who is above Packer? Remember Tuimavavae is injured... I guess they could have Lillyman cover prop, so we could have 2 backrowers on the bench instead?

2big2strong_old

Price and Rapira starting. I'd say Royal is ahead in the pecking order, Packers probably just as good but last year he froze on the big stage and it took him the rest of the season to get his form back for the U20's. I'd bring him in very slowly, he's still only 19 this year.

Jesbass_old

I can't see us having less than 2 props on the bench. Royal and Packer would be 3 and 4 in my order.

Viking_old

Don't believe everything you read, it was the Warriors site making excuses for the loss. The only injured players I know of are the Lousi brothers. How can you have an injury ravaged team when you have 47 players in the squad at your disposal?

It looked men against boys until the second half when the Vulcans fielded a completely local team bar Foran with my boy at 17 and 2 19 year olds, a string of 20-21 year olds and they still outscored the 20s 3 tries to 1. In fact one of the 19 yr olds was having his first game of league, having just joined the team during the week after being sent over to the Vulcans by the assistant coach of the Warriors 20s and he scored a try on debut.

That 20s team was almost exactly the same as the one that gave the Waikato and Hawkes bay teams a hiding, who were also men, in fact this team was stronger. They ran more subs than the Vulcans too, it looked like they had about 5 more. They were missing Ah Mau, Packer and Taylor but the tries they conceded were mostly scored out wide. You can't really count Ben M but granted he could've kept the score closer. The 22 points were basically from Locke and Peter Mills, both fullbacks who were the standouts in my mind. Locke was getting hit hard though, I saw him get nailed 3 times and it was a wise move to sub him. Poor Peter Mills lasted about 10 mins, engineered a nice try for Likiliki then was injured badly.

The Vulcans were missing more first line quality in:
Wayne McDade - Samoan RLWC prop
Kimi Uasi - Tongan RLWC backup hooker to Latu
Pale Ale - Monster 2 rower who played NZA 2 years ago
Nuivao Taka - Tonga U20s rep and Sharman player of the year in 08 and in my opinion is one of the top 4 Kiwi centres in the country and thats including Ropati.

The quality is there for the 20s but the leadership wasn't now that they don't have O'Regan who steered the ship last year IMO. I mentioned to Jesbass after the game that I think the 20s fortunes will rely heavily on how many games Packer plays for them. Captaincy would be a burden to Lockes game I feel, leave him to do what he does best. It sounds like Luke Laban is a fairly acomplished leader, maybe he'll step up in the coming weeks. They'll need to be good against the Titans who have a massive forward pack.

Viking_old

I can't see us having less than 2 props on the bench. Royal and Packer would be 3 and 4 in my order.

I'm hoping Herman gets a run and Packer helps the 20s get off to a good start. I like the mix of two big rangy props and two smaller wrecking balls.

Viking_old

Shit.

Sounds like a few of the Vulcans should be playing 20's then?

Yeah but their squad is already massive. 47 eligable 20s and 1st grade contracted players and at least that many in the development squad. It says a lot for the squad when a talent like James Te Pou can't get a run in a trial.

The Storm run about half as many juniors but they've been taking the cream from NZ, they recruit very well. Keep an eye out for Theo Stuart and Junior Afu, 2 outstanding 17 year old props who tore the Auckland comps up for years and were JK U16s in 07.

Jesbass_old

I'm hoping Herman gets a run and Packer helps the 20s get off to a good start. I like the mix of two big rangy props and two smaller wrecking balls.

I can't believe I forgot Tank. How embarrassing, especially as I was actually looking for him after the game, lol.

Viking_old

I can't believe I forgot Tank. How embarrassing, especially as I was actually looking for him after the game, lol.

I really believe it should be done in that order too. Herman has been a standout every time I see him play and Russell is needed in the 20s, at least for the start of the season.