General Vulcans vs Tigers

Ryan_old

No matter how many times I read this stuff, like "oh, he's a 6, not a 7" etc. I can never understand it. I'm not having a crack at anyone, and how you understand it is cool. I'm just saying that, in my opinion, in the contemporary game, it doesn't really mean much, 6 or 7, except from set plays, ie scrums. For example; Marshall/Lockyer 6's... Cronk/Thurston 7's... All their teams respective primary creator, and in those examples, organisers too (apart from Cronk and Marshall - who don't strike me as the organisers with Farah and Smith doing it for those teams).

Last edited by a moderator:

Spence_old

I know every team plays it differently, I'm more implying that the halfback runs the middle of the field and the stand off runs the edges. But of course that isn't always the case, Thurston plays the left edge more often than not.

I'll clarify my position: I think he would be more useful playing on the edges than running the forwards around.

Fazz_old

Yeah, that's how i differentiate them too. The 6 in many cases is more of a runner, 7 more of an organizer, obviously not every player is the same, but that's how I see it a lot of the time.

BringBackRovelli_old

Traditionally 6 has been regarded more as a running half, being the second receiver, and 7 as an organizer who generally controls where the ball and team are going. Nowadays with the 10 metre rule, scrums are a lot less important than they used to be, but in the old days there was a reasonably clear distinction between the two halves.

Ryan_old

I think Spence defined it best, there's a half who controls what's happening around the ruck and the other running around the fringes. That said, nearly all teams play it a little different (when the halves look structured). Thurston seems to control nearly all the ruck stuff and creates pretty much anything down the left, and Thompson does the occasional stuff down the right, and I must emphasise that word "occasional". It's the Thurston show all over there.

Spence_old

For the Vulcans he plays predominately on the left. However, he does pop up all over the place. Similar positioning to Thurston, I guess.

Fazz_old

Ahh good. I just had no idea haha. Maybe that's why I couldn't remember him being more prevalent on one side.

scotsman_old

Do the vulcans have a game next week ? If so i would really be impressed with Ivan if he asked Maloney to turn up and partner Johnson in the halves to see what they gel like , coundn't hurt and IMO perfect time to try it, rather than wait until an injury to Seymour or when he starts becoming the invisable man again... Great thing is they both play 6 & 7 and both sides of the field, bring it on !!!!!

Ryan_old

Laughs... Great idea, in theory. Methinks James would feel a bit put out by not having a rest like the rest of the crew.

Spence_old

Vulcans have two consecutive games in Sydney. I urge any Sydney-siders to go, they're playing awesome footy! Extremely enjoyable to watch.

Fazz_old

If I wasn't a such a poor bastard I'd love to get out there and see them, seems like the boys moving up from the U20s are bringing the flair and winning mentality to the Vulcans.

Spence_old

They're always guaranteed quality. Lots of long range line breaks, offloads, tackle breaks. Very entertaining.

Oh I haven't talked about Tupou try. Best of the day. Off a good run from one of the forwards, got a quick play about 30m out, passed out to John, crisp pass to Johnson running full pace, few dummies cut out pass to Fisiiahi running at full pace, Fisiiahi drew in the centre and threw a cut out pass to Tupou on the left wing, Tupou runs to about the 10m where he steps inside the fullback, steps inside the winger coming over in cover, then steps inside the centre, then steps inside another few players and scores under the posts. The set up was a thing of beauty, the backline move was pure perfection.

bigstuboy_old

the thing that makes me believe shaun is ready for first grade is when defences rush him and all he does is step back then side steps the tackler looks for the gap and puts someone over the line its so impressive how he makes rushing defences look stupid. you watch seymour or hohaia get rushed and they just get shut down they just don't have his footwork.

bigstuboy_old

johnson will be nsw player of the year 7 tries in his 4 games and countless try-assists and line breaks and line break asssists he is a freak.