Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
why would maori and pasifika students need a designated/safe space? to protect them from who?!
Probably started 30 years ago for mutual support in study, networking, speaking their languages, sharing unique struggles and problems, dunno if protection has anything to do with it. Was it ever called a "safe space"? That's recent American lingo.

A bit tongue in cheek.
I think having the facilities to help everyone when they need it is important. Making it exclusive is problematic but I accept it may well be the answer sometimes.
You probably know more than me on this, but don't all the Universities have Marae?
There are spaces available to anyone who needs them, there is a health and wellbeing office here at Otago - with various services available to students and staff. The Māori and Pacifica spaces were introduced years ago.
I don't think there is a Marae on site, but I could be wrong. Just encase Frank sees this and thinks I'm a mediocre academic - I don't actually work for the Uni, we lease office and lab space here.

Lol, I should have expected this. These aren't new spaces. Why do you think they might have been needed in past history marv.?
being darker skinned than a lot of maori myself and growing up suffering more than my share of racism i absolutely understand why they might have been needed in past history, but today isn’t then.
we need to teach people to be strong and proud and encourage growth. we need to stop keeping people hamstrung and encouraging this victim mentality.

also, there is no mention of safe space on the sign. only designated area.
safe space implies that they’re otherwise unsafe.
maori and pasifika peoples as far as i’m aware are not ordinarily attacked, abused or preyed upon in NZ universities.

also my point wasn’t that anybody doesn’t deserve or need a space, my point was that newshub intentionally said the sign they viewed said safe space when it did not.

Last edited:
being darker skinned than a lot of maori myself and growing up suffering more than my share of racism i absolutely understand why they might have been needed in past history, but today isn’t then.
we need to teach people to be strong and proud and encourage growth. we need to stop keeping people hamstrung encouraging this victim mentality.

also, there is no mention of safe space on the sign. only designated area.
safe space implies that they’re otherwise unsafe.
maori and pasifika peoples as far as i’m aware are not ordinarily attacked, abused or preyed upon in NZ universities.

also my point wasn’t that anybody doesn’t deserve or need a space, my point was that newshub intentionally said the sign they viewed said safe space when it did not.
Problem is extremists still exist and right now we have examples like destiny church deciding they have the right to go and paint over public painted rainbow coloured pedestrian crossings and the flip side have swastikas painted on the prime ministers office. Always the same that often a minority fuck it up for everyone

Problem is extremists still exist and right now we have examples like destiny church deciding they have the right to go and paint over public painted rainbow coloured pedestrian crossings and the flip side have swastikas painted on the prime ministers office. Always the same that often a minority fuck it up for everyone
absolutely!
the country and world currently is a shitshow.

Why was there segregation in the past? To have your own space so you don’t have to mix and mingle with people you didn’t want to.

Isn’t that the same with these spaces but in reverse?

Haven’t we as a society decided exposing ourselves to different people is beneficial and brings us together. Doesn’t these areas do the opposite?

Who ends up better off - the geek/ fat/ introvert/ trump lover/ African/ etc person that is forced to integrate despite being a target or the ones that are enabled to hide from the world?

Why do we need them in todays age? Doesn’t it do more harm by sheltering those it try’s to help?

Why was there segregation in the past? To have your own space so you don’t have to mix and mingle with people you didn’t want to.

Isn’t that the same with these spaces but in reverse?

Haven’t we as a society decided exposing ourselves to different people is beneficial and brings us together. Doesn’t these areas do the opposite?

Who ends up better off - the geek/ fat/ introvert/ trump lover/ African/ etc person that is forced to integrate despite being a target or the ones that are enabled to hide from the world?

Why do we need them in todays age? Doesn’t it do more harm by sheltering those it try’s to help?
If you wanted to set up a designated electricians room to meet up and discuss wiring, what's the difference?

Who says Maori, Rainbow community, etc need protection and sheltering?

Judging by parliament, they are over represented there indicating they are competent, tough and intelligent people.

Labelling an entire group vulnerable and needing help all the time just lowers the mana of that entire group with the general population and makes those groups seem below average. The lower expectations becomes a self fulfilling prophecy…

Example - doctors need lower grades to get in - who wants to be treated by a Maori doctor?

I mean the 3 priority areas for the Ministry of Education is Maori, Pacifica and disabled people. I don’t know why Maori and Pacific allow themselves to be lowered to this level.

Back