General Update: Junior Warriors win Minor Premiership!

PB_old

There may be three games to go, but a win by the Junior Warriors against the Penrith Panthers this weekend will see them clinch their first minor premiership.

While the Juniors are on 39 points their nearest rival -- the Cronulla Sharks -- are on 35. That may make them close enough to catch the Warriors should they stumble in their last two games, but not close enough to haul in a massive points differential.

The Warriors have out-scored and out-defended all comers so far in 2011, which has left them with an impressive differential of 357. The Junior Sharks' are only on 149.

In their remaing games the premiers-in-waiting play the twelth placed Panthers and tenth placed St.George-Illawarra Dragons away, and finish with a tough match against the Cowboys, who are currently third.

Momentum is clearly in their favour, and with Jack Gibson medalist and 2010 Grand Final winner Carlos Tuimavave's return to the side after a long injury lay-off, things look ominous for the rest of the field. Not only for the minor premiership, but for back-to-back titles. Topping the regular season table will see them need only three more wins to clinch the NYC premiership.

The club have competed in the Toyota Cup's finals series in each of the four years of the competition. This doesn't look like changing in the foreseeable future.

With the club's reserve grade side, the Auckland Vulcans, also performing well, and the seniors being a regular visitor to the NRL's top 8, there's a distinctively warm feeling at the Warriors -- despite the cold.

Jesbass_old

Rocking and rolling the Warriors are.

yoda_thrilled.jpg

Attachments

• awww.jasonhowell.net_storage_yoda_thrilled.jpg_4eee95f2df51b94c846926cc29565cc5.jpg
    awww.jasonhowell.net_storage_yoda_thrilled.jpg_4eee95f2df51b94c846926cc29565cc5.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 6

Fazz_old

Interesting fact. Should the Raiders u20s team miss the finals this year (which looks to be the case) then the Warriors u20s will be the only team to have made the finals every year since the inception of the Toyota Cup. I believe we've been top 4 every year bar one as well.

edguy_old

i wonder how many players we will get in the toyota cup dream team of the year this year.. one?? like last year..lol
incredible isnt it , the premier team in the comp could only squeeze one player into the dream team..hahahah my tin foil hat is on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jesbass_old

i wonder how many players we will get in the toyota cup dream team of the year this year.. one?? like last year..lol
incredible isnt it , the premier team in the comp could only squeeze one player into the dream team..hahahah my tin foil hat is on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hahaha, great avatar!

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah kudos to the Juniors and Ackland. I really thought we started with a golden generation in Package, Sonny, Matulino, Kevin etc..and would be also rans once they were too old. Even moreso after Shaun Johnson graduated last year.

Is anybody able to tell me when the Toyota Cup is set to run to? There was talk of it being canned, and I think Spence mentioned it's set for 2012, beyond that?

Lego_Man_old

We're producing great product. Just creaming the best of the Auckland footballing scene. Phuck Union!

Did you hear Slimey is the arm wrestling champion of the whole U-20's team? He's freakishly strong.

ToiletDuck_old

Yeah I did hear that.

It's another reason I'm actually quite scared that he may prove to be the best of our 3 young fullbacks...the more I see of him, the more I'm impressed. Especially his support play..

In any case I'd be an advocate of him getting some time on the wing/centres to see what he can offer - rather than lose him to another club.

Lego_Man_old

Yeah I did hear that.
It's another reason I'm actually quite scared that he may prove to be the best of our 3 young fullbacks...the more I see of him, the more I'm impressed. Especially his support play..

Well you're a well-known Lockophobe so that's not surprising.

ToiletDuck_old

Nah. I'm just wary of how easy it is to fall into the line of thinking that our young FB's rank in that order because of age.

We've had a long time to get used to Kevin as the club's next long-term fullback, and I think he's deserved that expectation. But I still don't like seeing young talent leaving after we've been barren for so long.

Spence_old

I don't rate Omar in the same league as Locke and Fisiiahi, but I think he's got a chance of play NRL on the wing for us. He's scoring a truck load of tries though, can't deny his talent!

LordGnome_old

I don't rate Omar in the same league as Locke and Fisiiahi, but I think he's got a chance of play NRL on the wing for us. He's scoring a truck load of tries though, can't deny his talent!

Let him wear a backpack when he is playing and he'll never be tackled.

PB_old

Dead on Dingleberry. Have now updated title to reflect that.

And...
NYC minor premiers

Vodafone Junior Warriors 42, St George Illawarra Dragons 30

Defending NYC champions the Vodafone Junior Warriors had to overcome major hurdles on their way to securing the minor premiership for the first time with a 42-30 win against St George Illawarra in Sunday’s 25th-round NYC match at WIN Stadium in Wollongong.
Following a four-hour delay to their flight out of Auckland on Saturday, they didn’t arrive at their hotel in Wollongong until late that night.
They were also without three of their first-choice players, captain Ben Henry and centre Konrad Hurrell remaining in Auckland after being ruled out with injury while prop Siulongua Fotofili was with his partner who was expecting their first child.
More here.

Tyrael_old

I wouldn't mind giving Omar a crack at FG wing. He's scored heaps of tries this year and tons last year

sebastian_old

If things work out the way i'd be scheming things. Hurrell moves into the centre posistion, Omar moves onto the wing. Both become our best ever outside backs. Everyone goes home happy. All our life problems of outside backs are solved!