jb1979_old

will ukuma be straight into the 17 come the cowboys game he looks up to speed now in all areas of the game he looked great for the little game time he played against the knights after being out of nrl for so long i thought he was going to be a little rusty he proved me wrong

Cheops_old

I'm a big fan so I'd bring him in personally, but I get the impression that Ivan won't. He adds so much impact and power off the bench that Taylor and to a lesser degree, Brown don't. Whoever has that bench spot often only plays 30 minutes or so anyway and imo Ta'ai is the best man for the job

Fazz_old

I doubt it. Taylor will probably be favoured. I wouldn't be unhappy to see Tai'ai run out though.

RobRoyMcCoy_old

If I was picking the team, yes. Ta'ai changes the game when he comes on, Taylor doesn't. Elijah sometimes did in the early games but not so much lately. Ta'ai was brilliant first game back in lifting the aggression of our pack, apart from his over-zealousness with the second tackle.

numbnutsnz_old

will ukuma be straight into the 17 come the cowboys game he looks up to speed now in all areas of the game he looked great for the little game time he played against the knights after being out of nrl for so long i thought he was going to be a little rusty he proved me wrong

I would have him in. I'm a big fan of having some massive hits put on the opposition which is something we really lack without Ukuma on the park. But I don't think Cleary will have him in there. Taylor hasn't given him any reason to be dropped and I think Cleary will stay loyal.

And just quietly, a few capital letters and maybe a couple of commas and full stops would make reading what you write so much easier to understand.;)

Tyrael_old

I would have him there instead of Taylor. Taylor is fantastic, but he's turning into the same mold as Mannering and Luck. We don't need a third solid player.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

Huddersfield Giants sign Tongan forward Ukuma Ta'ai​

12 September 2012.
Ukuma Ta'ai

Huddersfield Giants have agreed a deal to sign Tongan forward Ukuma Ta'ai on a three-year deal from NRL side New Zealand Warriors.

The powerful 25-year-old will join up with the Giants for pre-season training in November.

Boss Paul Anderson said: "He's been on our radar for quite a while and when I heard he may be available for a UK move I earmarked him as a priority signing.

"I want players with size and strike and Ukuma ticks all the boxes."

Ta'ai said: "Huddersfield are always in the play-offs and I am excited about helping move them forward next year and will be supporting them in this year's play-offs from here at home.

"Their style will suit my strengths as will the Super League in general so all we need do now is tie up the paperwork and plan for the move."

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

Red tape has delayed Ukuma Ta'ai linking up with new club Huddersfield Giants​

Huddersfield signing Ukuma Ta'ai is facing a race against time to start the new Super League season due to red tape.​

03/01/13 12:45pm
Ukuma Ta'ai: In a race against time for feature in Huddersfield's season-oper in February

Ukuma Ta'ai: In a race against time for feature in Huddersfield's season-oper in February

The Giants were hoping the 25-year-old Tonga international, who has signed a three-year contract, would arrive in time to play in next week's friendly at St Helens.

But the former New Zealand Warriors forward has experienced a snag with his visa, meaning his work permit has yet to be processed and will now miss out against Saints.

"Everything was going superbly with Ukuma pre-Christmas and we expected him to be in the UK any day now," managing director Richard Thewlis told the Huddersfield Examiner.

"Every issue from our and the Rugby Football League's perspective was sorted weeks ago, but a technicality has been raised by the border agency in Manila, meaning Ukuma is now behind schedule.

"He has done all that has been asked of him by the authorities and, without going into precise detail, he has been extremely unfortunate in one area of his submission for entry.

"This requires further work which he will complete very soon when everywhere re-opens after the festive break.

"I expect to have further news in the not-too-distant future and remain confident - as does Ukuma and his manager - that the issue will be overcome.

"However, it does mean he is a definite non-starter for the trial game at St Helens next Friday."

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

UKUMA TA'AI AGREES NEW HUDDERSFIELD GIANTS CONTRACT​

Super League semi-finalists Huddersfield have received a boost with blockbusting forward Ukuma Ta'ai agreeing a new contract for 2016.​

Ukuma Ta'ai is staying at Huddersfield for 2016

Ukuma Ta'ai is staying at Huddersfield for 2016

PUBLISHED 14/09/2015 AT 17:11 GMT+13

The 27-year-old Tongan International, who has scored 23 tries in 78 appearances since joining the Giants from New Zealand Warriors three years ago, has produced his best form to help them move to within 80 minutes of a maiden Grand Final by clinching a top-four finish.

Huddersfield coach Paul Anderson said: "Ukuma is now showing the form we all felt he had in him prior to signing with us.

"He had a great pre-season and is reaping the rewards of being fully fit and enjoying regular game time.

"He gives me options either side of the ruck or straight down the middle such is his size and strength and his retention has been viewed very positively by our group.

"There is no doubt that big, powerful mobile men who are handy on their feet are a scarce commodity in the UK game and I think that Ukuma can go on to even bigger and better things here within an environment he is familiar and comfortable with."

Ta'ai, whose initial contract was due to run out this year, said: "I am really happy as a Giant and have some great friends here at the club.

"My wife is due to give birth soon to our third child and I am looking forward to all the family being back here in Huddersfield for the start of next season.

"We have a lot to do this year and I am happy that my form is good and I can do my bit to help the boys to the end of the season. Next year we have Sam Rapira coming who is another good friend and I think he will be awesome for us so we can only get better with the younger lads pushing us too."

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

Huddersfield Giants star Ukuma Ta'ai signs new two-year deal​

By Paul Vinnell​

Last Updated: 07/11/19 12:18pm
Ukuma Ta'ai celebrates a try against St Helens

Ukuma Ta'ai celebrates a try against St Helens

Huddersfield Giants star Ukuma Ta'ai has committed to the club for the next two years.
The 29-year-old has made 114 appearances for the Giants, scoring 33 tries and he did not miss a game in the 2016 season.

"I am so excited that the club has given me the opportunity to stay," Ta'ai said. "I love Huddersfield, it's a small town but the fans are fantastic and I am excited to be given the chance to stay here for another two years.

"Since Rick Stone has been here, he has been great for us and I'm looking forward to pre-season so we can achieve more next season and hopefully the fans get behind us and buy a season ticket because they have really lifted us this year."

Ta'ai was ever-present this season for the Giants

Ta'ai was ever-present this season for the Giants

Giants Managing Director Richard Thewlis said: "The Ukuma retention was done some time back but as with other deals done there have been legalities which prevent immediate announcements.

"As and when we are able to make announcements regarding the 2017 squad we will do so but the forefront of our thinking is player welfare and supporters have to recognise that and be assured that the club is making every endeavour on the back of the season ticket launch to have the first full year of "The New Stone Age" as a memorable one."

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor

York City Knights sign Newcastle Thunder forward Ukuma Ta'ai

29th September
By Jacob Kilbride
371864643article 962

YORK City Knights have strengthened their forward pack with the signing of veteran Ukuma Ta'ai on a two-year deal.

Ta'ai arrives at York after two seasons at fellow Betfred Championship side Newcastle Thunder, during which time he has made 34 appearances and scored 13 tries.

Prior to his spell in the North East, the versatile forward played 196 times for Huddersfield Giants across eight seasons, winning the League Leaders' Shield in the Betfred Super League in 2013.

York head coach James Ford said on the 10-cap forward: “We’re delighted to sign Ukuma and the physicality that he brings.

"He has caused us problems every time we’ve played against him and we’re excited to use his qualities and experience.

“He is obviously a very experienced player and I’m confident that his leadership will be central to us making more progress on and off the field."

Discussing how the move to the Knights came about, Ta’ai said: “It came from nowhere really.

"Obviously, with what happened at Newcastle with them going to part-time, I knew everything would change and I started looking around.

“My agent called and asked if I was interested in York. At the end of the day, they’ve given me the opportunity and I really appreciate it.

"I know some of the people there from playing together and there’s some people there who I have played against. I’m looking forward to linking up with them.

"I’ve played against them in the last couple of years and I know York are a good side.

"A lot of the players I played against have played in Super League, like Pauli Pauli. They really have a good side and I know for sure that I will fit in with that.

“I am looking forward to getting out there and do the best thing I can to help the team. My game is pretty much about going forward and taking opportunities.

"Trying to destroy people is the main thing for a forward and that’s me, I’ll keep doing what I’ve been doing for a few years."

“I could be playing both in the middle and back-row but, for me, I’m not the kind of person to pick a position.

"He (Ford) will pick the position for me that he thinks will be best for the team and I’ll take whatever he gives me.”

The 35-year-old becomes the 18th confirmed squad member for 2023, with the deal supported by the club's Squad Builder Fund.

Also signed up for next year are Matty Marsh, Joe Brown, James Glover, Jacob Ogden, Brendan O’Hagan, Will Jubb, Jack Teanby, Chris Clarkson, Pauli Pauli, Jordan Thompson, Myles Harrison, AJ Towse, Brad Ward, Bailey Antrobus, Olly Butterworth, Ata Hingano and Josh Daley.

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
149. UKUMA TA'AI
Last update

Ukuma Ta'ai during our last update in 2015 was playing for the Huddersfield Giants where he would stay until 2020 before signing with the Newcastle Falcons.

It was just announced in September that Ta'ai had signed a new 2 year contract with the York City Knights.

Former Huddersfield Giants forward finds new club for 2023

Cam Pattison September 28, 2022
ES18642-770x480.jpg

It’s been a busy day for York City Knights.

The club, who may fancy their chances at having a crack at Super League in the coming years after IMG proposed that licensing be re-introduced into the sport which could benefit the developing York City Knights.

Now they have made another statement signing after bringing in the likes of Pauli Pauli in 2022.

It’s been a big day for the Knights who confirmed Jack Teanby would be staying at the club beyond this year after impressing since swapping Dewsbury for the Knights.

Now they have acquired the services of former Huddersfield forward Ukuma Ta’ai.

The big unit came to Super League in 2012 from the New Zealand Warriors joining the Giants and helping them to a first ever League Leaders’ Shield in 2013.

He stayed at the club until 2020 making nearly 200 appearances before joining Newcastle Thunder in 2021 who have struggled to fulfil their potential over the last few years returning to part-time status this year.

Now Ta’ai is set to end his career at York with his 15th and 16th seasons set to take place under James Ford over the next two years as he takes on a two-year deal with the club.

On signing Ta’ai, Ford said: “We’re delighted to sign him and the physicality he brings. He has caused us problems every time we’ve played against him.”

Last edited:
Reactions: Defence