General U20s Team

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
How did Wairangi's brother go?
TBH I thought he was the only player who showed abit of promise. Goes hard and isnt scared to get in there and tackle some of the bigger boys. I liked him...[DOUBLEPOST=1363108321,1363094799][/DOUBLEPOST]Big shuffle for Vodafone Junior Warriors

Richard Becht

Tuesday 12 March 2013 9:21 PM
Astaticnrlsportalhostingcom site content LeadImage 00062801 image

A remodelled Vodafone Junior Warriors side will take on the Sydney Roosters in Saturday night’s second-round NYC match at Eden Park (5.15pm kick-off). Photo: Photosport.

Playing the curtain-raiser to the NRL team’s ED3N – RISE WITH US contest, the Vodafone Junior Warriors could feature five players making their NYC debuts and another four making just their second appearances after being initiated in last weekend’s unexpected 8-46 loss to Parramatta.

The newcomers in the starting line-up are Lafu Feagaiga in the centres and Vince Afoa in the front row while dynamic ex-rugby union schoolboy star Abraham Papalii, back rower Stedman Lefau and winger Esera Esera are on a six-man bench.

There are also combination changes. Second-year Vodafone Junior Warrior Ngataua Hukatai is at fullback after starting in the centres against the Eels while Tuimoala Lolohea, who wore the No 1 jersey last week, will start on the wing and David Fusitua is in the centres after starting on the wing against Parramatta.

The starting front rowers have changed with Afoa joined by Sam Lisone (used off the bench at Parramatta Stadium) and Newbigging moving up from the bench.

The four players who appeared last week but are not being used against the Roosters are Sione Feao, props James Taylor and Tama Koopu and second rower Kouma Samson.

“We had a disappointing day against the Eels but at this stage of the season it’s also important to have a look at different players in the squad to ensure they have an early experience of the competition,” said Vodafone Junior Warriors head coach John Ackland.

“We also need to try some players in other roles so we have a sense of their ability to cover other positions.”

The Vodafone Junior Warriors go into Saturday’s encounter knowing they won the first two home games the club took to Eden Park, beating Parramatta 20-16 in 2011 and Manly 30-16 last year.

In the Roosters they face a side coming off a 26-24 win against South Sydney.

There were no redeeming features in the Vodafone Junior Warriors’ performance last week, aside from captain David Bhana’s heroic defensive effort in making a mammoth 52 tackles. He has started the new campaign where he finished in 2012 as the competition’s top tackler.

When they last met, the Roosters knocked the Vodafone Junior Warriors out of the finals last September.

VODAFONE JUNIOR WARRIORS v SYDNEY ROOSTERS
Eden Park, Auckland
5.15pm, Saturday, March 16
Referees: Matt Noyen & Chris Sutton

VODAFONE JUNIOR WARRIORS

1 NGATAUA HUKATAI
2 TUIMOALA LOLOHEA
3 LAFU FEAGAIGA
4 DAVID FUSITUA
5 VILIAMI LOLOHEA
6 EKO MALU
7 MASON LINO
8 VINCENT AFOA
9 MICHAEL SIO
10 SAM LISONE
11 RAYMOND FAITALA-MARINER
12 ERIC NEWBIGGING
13 DAVID BHANA (c)
Interchange:
14 VILIAMI KAVEINGA
15 ABRAHAM PAPALII
16 ALBERT VETE
17 STEDMAN LEFAU
18 ESERA ESERA
20 TRENT BISHOP
HEAD COACH: JOHN ACKLAND

Hitman82

Hitman82

He is a nudge over 6 ft 2 and 115kgs.
That's. Solid. Cheers. About time we produced a forward who carries a good amount of bulk without having to be lofty as. Your namesake was the last good one we had! My favourite player during his time with us. Noone charged the line quite like the mighty Feka.

Reactions: 1 user
Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

That's. Solid. Cheers. About time we produced a forward who carries a good amount of bulk without having to be lofty as. Your namesake was the last good one we had! My favourite player during his time with us. Noone charged the line quite like the mighty Feka.
Thats all you can ask! "Paleaasina running like he has a rocket up his jacksy" is one of my favourite commentating moments. He carries the 115kgs well which is important.

Reactions: 1 users
ToiletDuck

ToiletDuck

Administrator
Geez, I can't remember an U20's side that I've recognised less. There's usually so much overlap from the year before with guys hanging round for 2-3 years, but that crop is fresh faced. Oh well, I don't mind that. More debuts means more talent on show. The U20's for me should be a talent-spotting source, a 'screening tool' if you know what I mean, once the talent is identified and they're dominating at that level then they should be playing football in the Vulcans. I get no joy in seeing guys that the club has identified as future prospects, sitting in the U20's for seasons on end. They just stagnate, while they still have to negotiate the jump up to big-boy level. Better to have them make that jump early on.

Paleaaesina2the20

Paleaaesina2the20

The performance by the forward pack was soft, they got embarrassed by the Eels no other words for it. If a big crowd of family at Eden park tonight wont motivate them, then I suspect there are not many future first graders in this side.

Navigator

Navigator

Christchurch Born n bred white bait fed.
Contributor
Great idea by coach john maybe Elliot should be taking some ideas you don't perform we find some one who will

wallacenz

wallacenz

is this the same team as last week? the warriors players look a lot bigger this week

edit: nvm, its just a few of the forwards like havili who did a few sets in a row when i turned it on.

wtf is this challenge shit. slowing down a fast game, speed of league is what makes it entertaining. bad idea imo

.. looks like the juniors cant tackle or catch either

Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Play the balls seem to be an issue for them as well... 3 in the first few minutes they coughed up...

facefacts

Vete looks promising, a big guy that gets around the park well, and seems to do the little things throughout the game, which is always a good sign for the future.

Magic Stick

Magic Stick

Lafu Feagaiga at center was utter crap...and Eko Malu aint a standoffs a-hole

Like the look of Abraham Papaili'i...still cant see what the hype on Tui Lohohea is

If Havilli wasnt playing today,we likely lose by 20+

BHP

Yeah Eko Malu hasnt performed the last couple weeks, I think its time to give Sam Cook a go at the 6

slaughterhouse.sa

Like the look of Abraham Papaili'i...still cant see what the hype on Tui Lohohea is

Feagaiga is only 17 years old ...coming off what looks like a knee recon, first game in 20s so a bit harsh there

Lolohea again is only 17 too, he got man of the match in national 17s final and also got MVP and the rugby sevens school comp.
He isnt a winger, but they must be trying to bring him into the game.

Reactions: 1 users

Sexymonkey

Need a change in game plan IMO. We're no longer the biggest and strongest team in the comp but we have speed to burn. Would like to see better shape, dummy runners and back doors, instead of just the 3 or 4 hits ups and a kick in the end at every set. Much better performance than last week against the eels but still team is lacking the structure we need to suit our strengths IMO. Come on Akerz!

facefacts

Need a change in game plan IMO. We're no longer the biggest and strongest team in the comp but we have speed to burn. Would like to see better shape, dummy runners and back doors, instead of just the 3 or 4 hits ups and a kick in the end at every set. Much better performance than last week against the eels but still team is lacking the structure we need to suit our strengths IMO. Come on Akerz!

Yup the usual just roll over other teams with our massive size advantage, then pop an off-load to the fullback wont work this season. Unfortunately their halves in particular and fullback dont look anywhere near good enough to be title contenders, or even make the finals...hope i'm wrong though.

ramraider78

ramraider78

Lafu just needs more game time, to get some confidence back from the knee recon saw it last week when he trialed for our topside, the kid has had the x factor for a few years in the local game during finals footy - wouldn't write him off yet; Eko is a doctor IMO for all the halves positions, I watched the game and he didn't do to bad, early days. Last year's loss to the roosters during the finals was hard but yesterday was a good indicator , Ackland is still working to find the best combination - a loss is a loss but more positives then negatives this week then the disaster against Parra.

2012Season Bombed

2012Season Bombed

Siliva Havili was the kid who put his hand up last night he demonstrated great leadership qualities and was a standout by far.

Also absolutely impressed also with Stedman Lefau who debuted well and put in some mean yards. im loving the Mangere East boys coming through and dominating! He reminds me a little of Ben Henrys style of play. This kid is to be watched!

Viliami Kaveinga in the halves?? Hes a fullback or should be on the wing. That kid has the experience of the Premier Sharman grade helping take his team into the Fox, CM Stingrays, and capped NZ U'18s two years running. We should capitalise on those strengths and experience.