General Your 2024 lineup

Would someone with better footy smarts that I be able to say what edge would Capewell be better served playing on?? Does it even matter all that much for a second rower as it might for a centre or wing?

Assuming Niukore moves to prop, does Capewell just plug into that spot, with Ford staying on the left, or would Ford be better off going on SJ's side, with Capewell joining Roger on the left

The left was piss poor offensively last year, I'm not going to shit talk you-know-who this time, but could it be better to have Capewell adding some experience to the left along with RTS, to help even things out. Sort of have some caregivers for Chanel, Te Maire, or Metcalf

Would someone with better footy smarts that I be able to say what edge would Capewell be better served playing on?? Does it even matter all that much for a second rower as it might for a centre or wing?

Assuming Niukore moves to prop, does Capewell just plug into that spot, with Ford staying on the left, or would Ford be better off going on SJ's side, with Capewell joining Roger on the left

The left was piss poor offensively last year, I'm not going to shit talk you-know-who this time, but could it be better to have Capewell adding some experience to the left along with RTS, to help even things out. Sort of have some caregivers for Chanel, Te Maire, or Metcalf
Fuck it, I’ll give it a crack lol.

Round 1
IMO, I’d have a left edge of TMM, Capewell, RTS and Montoya. Right edge of Johnson, Ford, Pompey and DWZ.

Why? Because with an inexperienced though talented centre like RTS, I feel you would need the experience of Capewell and even Montoya either side of him. Capewell isn’t exactly a defensive beast which is why I’d go with either TMM or CHT as the 6, because both are clearly superior defensively than Metcalf.

It’s the right edge that’s really interesting. I view it as very much transitional. Johnson won’t be around for long. I see Ford as a capable player who won’t be here long term , and Berry will probably overtake Pompey well before the year ends. Who replaces Johnson I guess we’ll find out, it’s not like we haven’t got options.

I see Ali, Sifakula and Laban doing their time in reserve grade. Picking up games here and there, before taking over from RTS and Capewell (2026/7ish) and Ford by the end of 2025 if not earlier.

Last edited:
I’ve never been Berry’s biggest fan but he is growing on me and I thought he played very well in the NZA game. I absolutely love Ali but don’t think he is cut out for wing, I though that was telling in the NZA game…..

1 - CNK
2 - DWZ
3 - Ali
4 - RTS
5 - Berry
6 - CHT
7 - SJ
8 - AFB
9 - Egan
10 - Niukore
11 - Ford
12 - Capwah
13 - Tohu

14 - Walker
15 - Barney
16 - up for grabs
17 - up for grabs

I’m surprised how many people are leaving berry out.
The way he finished the season- especially that nz A game- I can’t see him missing out- hopefully get a full offseason in this time too.
He’s our right center for the next 5 years- lock it in fam.

I’ve never been Berry’s biggest fan but he is growing on me and I thought he played very well in the NZA game. I absolutely love Ali but don’t think he is cut out for wing, I though that was telling in the NZA game…..

1 - CNK
2 - DWZ
3 - Ali
4 - RTS
5 - Berry
6 - CHT
7 - SJ
8 - AFB
9 - Egan
10 - Niukore
11 - Ford
12 - Capwah
13 - Tohu

14 - Walker
15 - Barney
16 - up for grabs
17 - up for grabs
Capwah? Did u make that up? Genius.

I’m surprised how many people are leaving berry out.
The way he finished the season- especially that nz A game- I can’t see him missing out- hopefully get a full offseason in this time too.
He’s our right center for the next 5 years- lock it in fam.
Exactly. He's the incumbent.
Even RTS should have to prove himself

According to Cappy our roster is essentially finalised pending whatever happens with AFB. So for round 1 assuming everyone's fit and firing.

1.CNK
2.DWZ
3.RTS/Berry
4.Pompey/RTS
5.Montoya

6.TMM
7.SJ

8.AFB
9.Egan
10.Niukore
11.Ford
12.Capewell
13.Tohu

14.Walker
15.Jazz
16.Barnett
17.Going/Laban/Halasima/TSS

18.CHT/Lussick

There are two possible 3/4 combos imo.
Shock on the right would be very cool , it's our (and most teams) dominate side and he could do what Rocco did well easily imo. Or he could provide more security on the left and roam a lot more in attack.

I'd like to think Niukore or Barnett could start but it's just preference for niukore for me. Also the 17. Position, could be Chanel but last year it was Sironens spot and I'd like to think one of our young boys can come on in either 9 , 10 or the backrow and have a solid showing. Otherwise it's Chanel only really a spine player or Lussick , great 9 and maybe handy in the backrow but I wouldn't want him playing prop...

You think so?
Berry is a shoe in?
I'd think Pompey makes a good case. Pompey also kicks.
I think so, Berry was just resigned through till 2026 it's Penrith's / Websters style to have juniors chip away in lower levels rather than rushed into first grade so I think we'll see Leiatua graft away in reserves for a while until he gets an opportunity. Roco has been around for a few years now and they've invested in him to succeed.

Alright- stealing from a few of the teams I’ve seen I’ll go-

CNK
DWZ
Berry
RTS
Montoya
Metcalf
SJ
AFB
Cht
Niukore/ Barnett
Ford
Barnett/ niukore
13.Tohu

Egan
Walker
Ale
Capewah

I think so, Berry was just resigned through till 2026 it's Penrith's / Websters style to have juniors chip away in lower levels rather than rushed into first grade so I think we'll see Leiatua graft away in reserves for a while until he gets an opportunity. Roco has been around for a few years now and they've invested in him to succeed.
They also resigned pompey though?
So yeah ... can't fit them all in and TBF Adams a fait bit more experienced..

RTS could still have impact off the wing the same way DWZ does. High energy, full effort. Montoya was lacking that last year at times. RTS is a big meter eater on kick returns or tackle 1 as well.

RTS could still have impact off the wing the same way DWZ does. High energy, full effort. Montoya was lacking that last year at times. RTS is a big meter eater on kick returns or tackle 1 as well.
Yeah he could play wing and just chew metres up , fair play.
But it's his step and ability to beat guys 1 on 1 that makes him crazy. Left or right centre for me. Step the opposition then little short ball to dwz = try. Mind you could play left and pop up with Charnze on our long shifts...

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Berry
4. RTS
5. Montoya/Leatuaia
6. Metcalf
7. SJ
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Barnett
11. Ford
12. Niukore
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Jazz
16. Capewell
17. Zyon Maiu’u/CHT/Ale/Bunty

If you went with the CHT at 17 you could have Niukore move into the middle for a spell. Id like to see another bigger middle off the pine for impact and spells for AFB.

1. CNK
2. DWZ
3. Berry
4. RTS
5. Montoya
6. TMM
7. SJ
8. AFB
9. Egan
10. Bunty
11. Capewell
12. Ford
13. Harris

14. Walker
15. Niukore
16. Barnett
17. CHT

I don’t see Capewell having signed to play from the bench. He’s starting on my left edge. TMM has better D and distribution than Metcalf, so he’s in my spine. Important for us to be settled and have structure for 1st part of season, but certainly see Metcalf forcing his way in later in year.
Last year our bench impact between 30min-55min was some of worst in comp. A lot of effort to sort this will be done during pre season. For me Barnett, Niukore and Walker all come on to provide the needed exp here. I see Niukore now as a middle only moving forward. Bunty plays 1st 20mins and maybe a late 10-15min. CHT provides the bench cover needed. Egan will go for 60+ mins like last year and CHT covers there and any injury cover as needed.
SJ to kick goals. They’ll work thru the off season to get him right.
Jazz, Pompey, Metcalf, Ale, Kosi, Lussick all next up but don’t see them in our 1st team of the year. But shit our Reserve grade side looks stacked!!

1 C N Klokstad
2 D W Zelezniak
3 A Leiataua
4 R T Sheck
5 R Berry
6 L Metcalf
7 S Johnson
8 A F Blake
9 W Egan
10 M Niukore
11 J Ford
12 L Capewell
13 T Harris

14 C H Tavita
15 M Barnett
16 J Tavaga
17 D Walker

I would start the season with this team.

It might not be the fastest team but it's aggressive.

i rate RTS, but he is an unknown quantity as a Centre in NRL. Who are the best defensive Centres. I think it is Pompey and Berry, and they are the incumbents.

Back