General Trials this weekend

Norby_old

Simi Kata who played prop yesterday for the Juniors really impressed me, played big minutes and he was hard to stop every time he made a hit up. I think he came across from Auckland Grammar 1st XV last year.

Chester Robnesta_old

Tevita is back ?
Expect to see a lot more tagging down Beasley Ave in the next few months

AC5_old

Quick thoughts,

1.benefits of such one sided hit outs? The young guys need to get there structures going whilst being tackled by dudes who want to tackle them. Getting tackled in training and in trials is significantly different than getting tackled by a Fox player with more than a couple years experience. The Jnrs. will have the best Cardio, the best weight room strength etc, but the Fox guys aren't afraid to put a hit on just to hurt you. And as we've seen, defense in theNYC is poor at best.

2. Nigel Vagana seems to be doing an awesome job as an ambassador for the game both internally and externally. I've heard nothing but good things about his initiatives, and if he can help the future Tevita Latu's, Sione Faumuina's, et al out, then it can only be good for the game on field and off.

Last edited by a moderator:

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Simi Kata who played prop yesterday for the Juniors really impressed me, played big minutes and he was hard to stop every time he made a hit up. I think he came across from Auckland Grammar 1st XV last year.

He went alright against Otahuhu as well.
I wasnt at yesterdays game but heard manurewa put out a 20s side and a senior a side.

I heard Setefano carved up against his club team aswell.
He is a little fresh but super fit for a prop and will be fighting for a bench spot with Nathaniel Peteru and probably toka likiliki come round one.

Warriors love their tongan props :p

Norby_old

Setefano big tall rangy prop? If it was him yeah he did have a mean game too, builds up alot of steam towards the line then he put some nice foot work on at the line to leave defenders clutching at thin air.

We feed our boys well i think slaughterhouse.lol.

Fazz_old

Toka Likiliki was sensational in his last game for the Junior Warriors, I think he'll feature in the team a lot more this year. He's got a bit of mongrel about him.

These props have every reason to aim up too. With some amazing performances they could earn an NRL deal with the current situation (not necessarily to play, more as an incentive and as an emergency plan b)

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Setefano big tall rangy prop? If it was him yeah he did have a mean game too, builds up alot of steam towards the line then he put some nice foot work on at the line to leave defenders clutching at thin air.

We feed our boys well i think slaughterhouse.lol.

Yeah thats him.
Quick and good footwork.
Could be a little cleaner and preserve energy etc.

I rekcon they should get jerry seuseu to teach them his styles lol
little steps at the line - quick play the ball.

James Taylor, Miro Atera, Tama Koopu are props for the future - all playing national 17s last year and could sneak in the Warriors squad this year.

cue horse jokes lol. Nah definately big boys.
Simi Kata and Albert Vete did better than expected against a good otahuhu pack. esp. for recent rugby converts.

Also, I doubted Ngataua Hukatai but he maybe the first winger chosen.
Not quite as quick as Lolohea (i think) but well rounded and looks safe as houses.

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Toka Likiliki was sensational in his last game for the Junior Warriors, I think he'll feature in the team a lot more this year. He's got a bit of mongrel about him.

These props have every reason to aim up too. With some amazing performances they could earn an NRL deal with the current situation (not necessarily to play, more as an incentive and as an emergency plan b)

Yeah agree.
Just dont play him in the centres.

Also just need durability or bigger lungs.
Because when he wants run - he incredibly fast for his size.
Just needs to be able to get up and keep on doing it IMO

Norby_old

Hukatai looks very good, like you said not as quick as Lolohea but definately is safe. Another player is was keen to have a look at was Kouma Samson, I've seen a bit of him last year in club footy and he was a real stand out for Glenora and for the Auckland 17s? team he captained. Small bloke but managed to bend the line whenever he ran the ball.

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Hukatai looks very good, like you said not as quick as Lolohea but definately is safe. Another player is was keen to have a look at was Kouma Samson, I've seen a bit of him last year in club footy and he was a real stand out for Glenora and for the Auckland 17s? team he captained. Small bloke but managed to bend the line whenever he ran the ball.

Yeah big heart no doubt and probably be John Palavis eventual replacement in the 13 jersey. along with david bhana.

Pretty small at this stage, but has a massive heart.

I seen him play in the 2nd Residents test and he was the best player.
This was when the kiwis forwards were getting belted.

And mom in the 17s grand final for Auckland. Might sneak into the final squad. But even if he doesnt make str8 away, if he plays fox he could get called up. I assume he is contracted.

jagz_old

Yeah thats him.
Quick and good footwork.
Could be a little cleaner and preserve energy etc.

I rekcon they should get jerry seuseu to teach them his styles lol
little steps at the line - quick play the ball.

James Taylor, Miro Atera, Tama Koopu are props for the future - all playing national 17s last year and could sneak in the Warriors squad this year.

cue horse jokes lol. Nah definately big boys.
Simi Kata and Albert Vete did better than expected against a good otahuhu pack. esp. for recent rugby converts.

Also, I doubted Ngataua Hukatai but he maybe the first winger chosen.
Not quite as quick as Lolohea (i think) but well rounded and looks safe as houses.

Have you heard anything regarding Ben Kingi haven't seen his name in any of the trials and would of thought he would have been an ideal replacement for carlos if he doesnt play 20's. Im a big fan of halves with a quality passing game and the few games I saw of his he looked a natural.

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Have you heard anything regarding Ben Kingi haven't seen his name in any of the trials and would of thought he would have been an ideal replacement for carlos if he doesnt play 20's. Im a big fan of halves with a quality passing game and the few games I saw of his he looked a natural.

Apparently he was cut by the warriors.
He was treated badly by the Manurewa Marlins (who usually promote young players).
He was easily the best half but often was played in reserves.
Which wouldnt look good on the surface for a bottom placed fox team.

I heard that the Vulcans wanted him last year but he wasnt allowed to play for them.

his father suddenly passed away in the new year..
So he might be back home playing third division for Pukekohe (who came dead last year in 3rd div).

Vulcans should make him a development player.

Like you said he has the natural passing game similar to a Wille Heta or the great Lockyer :p. ablity to make everyting look effortless.

jagz_old

Apparently he was cut by the warriors.
He was treated badly by the Manurewa Marlins (who usually promote young players).
He was easily the best half but often was played in reserves.
Which wouldnt look good on the surface for a bottom placed fox team.

I heard that the Vulcans wanted him last year but he wasnt allowed to play for them.

his father suddenly passed away in the new year..
So he might be back home playing third division for Pukekohe (who came dead last year in 3rd div).

Vulcans should make him a development player.

Like you said he has the natural passing game similar to a Wille Heta or the great Lockyer :p. ablity to make everyting look effortless.

Ahh ok seems a bit of a strange decision to me as against Otahuhu the stand off struggled a bit. Harry Vete I think it was. Kingi looked to have much more potential unless it was just a poor game by Vete. How did the halves look against Howick were they any standouts I assume they used Jordan Meads, Harry Vete and Mason Lino

slaughterhouse.sa_old

Ahh ok seems a bit of a strange decision to me as against Otahuhu the stand off struggled a bit. Harry Vete I think it was. Kingi looked to have much more potential unless it was just a poor game by Vete. How did the halves look against Howick were they any standouts I assume they used Jordan Meads, Harry Vete and Mason Lino

not direspect but if vete is the one with an afro - he aint in the top 10 halfs in auckland Under 20.

He dropped a ball with no one infront of him and a free winger next to him.

Obviously they were cruel is some regard and handed out some chairty spots in others. (or made mistakes)

Meads is a certainity along with Carlos.
Eko Malu next in line.

Others Peter Hiku could cover Omar as well as 6 pretty good along with Honeti from Mangere.

Lino is still under 18 this year. But might sneak in.
Otherwise play fox for marist for a year a def. next year.

hecticbrah_old

i think it was just a bad game from vete. unfortunately he should have shown more.

i saw this kid in the open trials he scored atleast 4 tries easy. he looks more of a utility player trying to slot in .

but john ackland has a eye for talent he must see something in him

slaughterhouse.sa_old

i think it was just a bad game from vete. unfortunately he should have shown more.

i saw this kid in the open trials he scored atleast 4 tries easy. he looks more of a utility player trying to slot in .

but john ackland has a eye for talent he must see something in him

I was at the open trials . . it wasnt a great standard.
Good in bursts.
But thats where you have to put in context.

just kept putting his hand for further minutes/games to make up numbers like many keen boys do.
Good on him.

But it was quite cruel putting somebody in there not upto that level.
Might have been his friends . . .but there were people laughing at him.

But if your looking at half/utilities here are some 18/19 year old playing for the top fox clubs .. who have genuine ability

Just a few blokes. .

Charles Gabriel - Mt Albert - clever half back / former development player
Pariti Matiu - Bay Roskill - clever hooker/half - bays player of the year
dion stevens - Papakura - Fullback/halve - super quick/mean footwork

Never mind youngsters going around and other around the country.

Verney the kid from Taranaki Prems rep team is a decent half too.

Last edited by a moderator: