SAM RAPIRA
STEVE RAPIRA
MATT ROBINSON
JEROME ROPATI
UKUMA TA’AI
ELIJAH TAYLOR
MANU VATUVEI

COACH: IVAN CLEARY

From the Warriors site. There was an article about Sam and Steve playing together for the first time in a while, but there wasn't much else of note, so I didn't bother posting.

Fazz_old

1. GLEN FISIIAHI
2. KEVIN LOCKE
3. KRISNAN INU
4. JEROME ROPATI
5. MANU VATUVEI
6. JAMES MALONEY
7. PITA GODINET
8. SAM RAPIRA
9. AARON HEREMAIA
10. RUSSELL PACKER
11. UKUMA TA’AI
12. LEWIS BROWN
13. MICHEAL LUCK (c)

14.ALEHANA MARA
15.JEREMY LATIMORE
16. JACOB LILLYMAN
17.SIONE LOUSI
18. BEN MATULINO
19. STEVE RAPIRA
20. MATT ROBINSON
21. ELIJAH TAYLOR
22. BEN HENRY

IMO. Don't know who else they would go with in the halves? I'd expect to see Brown and Taylor in stints at centre. Steve Rapira and Lillyman could get chucked into 2nd row, prop or lock at some point too.

I'll be at the game, so I'll give some thoughts on it.

Spence_old

Rapira brothers to line up for club for first time
Brothers Sam and Steve Rapira are set to play together for the Vodafone Warriors for the first time after being selected in the club’s 22-man squad for Saturday’s NRL trial against the Parramatta Eels at Rotorua’s International Stadium.
Sam (23) and Steve (22) have previously played together for the Junior Kiwis in 2005 and also teamed up on numerous occasions for the Waicoa Bay in the old Bartercard Cup.
But they’ve never played together for the Vodafone Warriors despite being together at the club before Steve had two years with the North Queensland Cowboys in 2009 and 2010.
The closest they came was in an NRL trial against Newcastle at North Harbour Stadium in 2008 when Steve was named on an enlarged interchange bench but never made it onto the field.
Head coach Ivan Cleary said he expected the brothers would have time on the field together at some stage in Saturday’s trial.
“It’s exciting for them. They’re really looking forward to it,” he said.
The younger Rapira, who was in the club’s first NYC side in 2008, played his first match for the NRL side in last Saturday’s encounter with the Knights in Greymouth but Sam was rested for that match.
Steve said having the chance to play alongside his older brother was a key factor in returning to the club.
Three sets of brothers have played together for the Vodafone Warriors in official first-grade matches in the past. Tea and Iva Ropati did so during Iva’s seven-game first-grade career in 1996-1997 as did Vinnie and Louis Anderson in 2004 (before Vinnie headed to England). Current NYC manager and 132-game Vodafone Warriors veteran Jerry Seuseu had his brother Anthony alongside him in his only NRL game against Brisbane in 2001.
Ironically the Rapira brothers never ended up playing against each other in the Vodafone Warriors’ two regular season matches when Steve was with the Cowboys in 2009 and 2010.
Sam Rapira, now entering his sixth NRL season, is one of several of the Vodafone Warriors’ established NRL players named to make their first trial appearances of the year on Saturday. Joining him are winger Manu Vatuvei, centre Jerome Ropati, standoff James Maloney, hooker Aaron Heremaia and front rowers Ben Matulino and Russell Packer.
“We’ve got four matches to look at different players and combinations and this week helps more in that regard,” said Cleary.
“While last week’s game was very much about the occasion, there were aspects of the performance which weren’t so pleasing, especially the way we finished the game.”
With the exception of Feleti Mateo and Joel Moon (on All Stars duty in Australia), the Vodafone Warriors will again take a full squad on the road as they did in Greymouth last week. They arrive in Rotorua on Friday, holding a public training session at the International Stadium at 5.00pm followed by a signing session. A group of players will also be involved in a kids’ carnival at Puketewhero Park from 10.00am-12.00pm on Saturday.
Apart from Mateo and Moon other frontline players not named to play against the Eels are captain Simon Mannering, fullback Lance Hohaia, halfback Brett Seymour and utility Shaun Berrigan.
NRL players backing up after last week’s outing are Kevin Locke, Krisnan Inu (lining up against his old club), Alehana Mara, Jacob Lillyman, Jeremy Latimore, Lewis Brown, Steve Rapira, Ukuma Ta’ai, Sione Lousi and Micheal Luck – again the captain – as well as younger players Glen Fisiiahi, Elijah Taylor, Pita Godinet, Matt Robinson and Vodafone Junior Warriors captain Ben Henry.
The trial will be Parramatta’s first of the season and also a debut outing as head coach for Kiwi coach Stephen Kearney. They’ll be without captain Nathan Hindmarsh, who’s with the NRL All Stars for their clash against the Indigenous All Stars in Robina on Saturday night.
After the Rotorua trial, the Vodafone Warriors take on Queensland Cup side Burleigh in Whangarei (February 19) and Manly at North Harbour Stadium in Albany (February 26) to complete their trials programme.
The NYC premiership-winning Vodafone Junior Warriors will be on the same bill as their NRL counterparts this Saturday, playing the curtain raiser against the Wellington Schoolboys. They began their campaign with a 32-20 win against the Wellington Orcas last Sunday, a match which attracted a crowd of 3000 at Porirua Park.

Here's the article. Interesting that they don't mention anything about Tupou being left out on purpose, like they did with Mannering, etc... I wonder what the deal is.

Viking_old

Why is Manu available for this match when he was unavailable for the All Stars game played on the same night.

Don't see the point in playing Ben Henry ahead of James Gavet or even Houma. He was well out of his depth against a Knights team that fielded a number of players his own age.

2big2strong_old

What about Ivan Penehe? He's on a full time contract now. I'd rate him a better centre than Ben Henry or Elijah Taylor.

Spence_old

And I don't see much point in playing Henry, Houma or Robinson either. We already have Rapira trialling that would need two injuries for him to get a spot on the bench, then if there was another Lillyman would probably revert back to the second row. It just seems like a waste of time.

Where as Gavet is a prop, isn't he? That is one area where we always need more depth. I thought he had a good first up trial, I was looking forward to seeing him grow.

Viking_old

I don't have any issues with playing the guys who are now ineligable for NYC, the trials are a chance to see how those guys might step up to 1st grade when injuries hit during the year.

They've given Ben a taste of the big time, it'd be better to give some props a run than someone who is highly unlikely to see 1st grade this year. Why not chuck him in against Burleigh next week instead. He is a good player but still a little small for a 1st grade forward and far too slow for the backs. Give the boy some plyometrics training, there's only a few spots left in 1st grade for players that are super fit but not dynamic.

Not keen to see the Beast play if he's had a shortened preparation for the season. Perhaps he'll just get a few minutes to please the Rotorua fans.

Last edited by a moderator:

sebastian_old

Not keen to see the Beast play if he's had a shortened preparation for the season. Perhaps he'll just get a few minutes to please the Rotorua fans.

Hope your right & that hes just there for a bit of showcase. Don't think its really necessary to bring Manu back this trial, i'd be inclined after his serious arm injury, to wait another week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fazz_old

Lol nobody likes Robinson. I can't say I see much in him either though....

And yeah, I reckon manu is just there to boost ticket sales considering Mateo (who probably would have put a few butts in seats) won't be there.

Spence_old

I don't dislike Robinson as such, I think he's a fairly handy, honest backrower. It's more that he would need about 10 injuries before he would make the bench, so I don't really see why he is being used, especially when we have the promising Houma and Ben Henry waiting in the wings (very far back wings, mind you) as well.

LordGnome_old

1. KEVIN LOCKE
2. GLEN FISIIAHI
3. KRISNAN INU
4. JEROME ROPATI
5. MANU VATUVEI (If he plays, which I doubt)
6. JAMES MALONEY
7. PITA GODINET
8. SAM RAPIRA
9. AARON HEREMAIA
10. RUSSELL PACKER
11. UKUMA TA’AI
12. LEWIS BROWN
13. MICHEAL LUCK (c)

14.ALEHANA MARA
15.JEREMY LATIMORE
16. JACOB LILLYMAN
17.SIONE LOUSI
18. BEN MATULINO
19. STEVE RAPIRA
20. MATT ROBINSON
21. ELIJAH TAYLOR
22. BEN HENRY

David Bragg_old

I really wanted to see Gavet again.
He really looked the goods last week.
Pleased to see Lousi in.
I will be at the game also

Ryan_old

Is this match going to be televised?
At this stage, I have not seen anything to indicate it will be.

Our Customer Services Centre is open:

8am to 10pm weekdays
8am to 9pm weekends and public holidays (we are closed on Christmas Day)

For all email contact you can use our website form found here

For phone enquiries call us on 0800 759 759.

Our postal address is

SKY Television
PO Box 9059
Newmarket
Auckland

To contact us when calling from overseas, you can call +64 9 525 5555 (note this is not a free calling number)

If you want to file a formal complaint about a programme on SKY, or PRIME TV, please click here.

Fans should contact Sky and express their interest in Trial broadcasts. Hey, if Sky can be convinced that people will be watching, then they'll see the $ benefit of broadcasting.

LordGnome_old

At this stage, I have not seen anything to indicate it will be.

Fans should contact Sky and express their interest in Trial broadcasts. Hey, if Sky can be convinced that people will be watching, then they'll see the $ benefit of broadcasting.

Let's bombard Sky with calls about the trial.