General Travel Thread

Toookey

Toookey

Thought it would be a good time to start a travel thread. 2022, things starting to open up again and travel getting back to normal etc.

Where are people planning to go, what are people doing in the near future?

I've been travelling in south east Asia for the last 3 weeks and am in Phonm Penh and have consumed a 'happy pizza' (weed enfused) about half an hour ago and am just coming up.

Let's discuss

Had my first overseas holiday this year after 5 years being stuck in NZ. We were 2 weeks away from a trip to Hawaii when the first lockdown struck!

We went to the Gold Coast last school holidays for a family holiday. Was safe and easy given covid was everywhere when we booked and the risks of changes to settings that could cancel our plans. Pricing was expensive. Double pre covid. But worth it!

Good to get out of the NZ bubble and see the world from a different perspective again. I love travelling and love seeing different culture and how people do things! Yes, even Aussie is different to NZ 😉

Next year we would like to get back that trip to Hawaii… and longer term I have always dreamed of a cruise somewhere. It’s getting harder now with 3 teenagers and paying for 5 adults airfares now 😅.

Can wait until I retire and the kids have left home and we can buy a camper van and travel full time 😍

We spent 3 months in a campervan driving around Europe with our 3 kids about 6 years ago.

Awesome lifelong memories, great experiences plus a few challenges!

Enjoy 😍
We have been fortunate to do similar trips in 2011,13,15, 17 & 19 missed 21 because of Covid but off again.

For anyone thinking of doing the same we highly recommend using Peugeot Eurolease - while it is a buy back scheme effectively it is just like renting a vehicle except far cheaper.

For example next June we will have a brand new 2023 Peugeot Diesel Auto GPS 308SW for 80 days at a cost of $NZD5900 ($73.75 per day), fully insured, no excess - all we need to do is put juice in it but it comes with a full tank (worth approx. NZD $160) and does not need to be returned with a full tank.

We pick it up in Frankfurt and return it in Rome which added $900 to the base figure of $5000.

Minimum period 30 days.

All in all cheap motoring in a well appointed new vehicle

Last edited:
Just in the process of booking a 3 week tour of Viet Nam & Cambodia next year shld b fun
Very cool mate, I just came back from Vietnam and Cambodia, had 3 weeks too.

If you need any recommendations or what was good etc, let me know!

Not sure if you wanna try the happy pizza tho, that shit had me out for 2 days lol.

Reactions: Dangerous
Had two weeks in Canada at the end of August/beginning of September. Trip through the Rockies, plus 4 days at Vancouver and 3 in Toronto. Loved it.
No idea about next year. The £ is piss poor atm
If you think the pound is piss poor then you don’t know what piss poor looks like as our $ is only worth .51 of your pound!!!!

Lol...well I'm Heading home for 3 weeks,
Back.in chch from the 15th Dec.
Been to long away with all this covid crap, miss home.
Finally got back to chch in September- just caught the end of the ski season which the kids loved- first time seeing snow- was so good after so long- still recovering though- the boys still hit it hard…. 🥴
Enjoy mate and don’t miss out on a pork and watercress pie at the hillmorton bakery 🤤

Leaving for Brazil 2 Weeks from today for Xmas- stopping in LA for a few days on the way over and catching a clippers and a rams game so looking forward to that.
Will be cool to be in Brasil for the World Cup again too- will be mad if they can win a sixth title. 🇧🇷⚽🍻😃

Last edited:
Finally got back to chch in September- just caught the end of the ski season which the kids loved- first time seeing snow- was so good after so long- still recovering though- the boys still hit it hard…. 🥴
Enjoy mate and don’t miss out on a pork and watercress pie at the hillmorton bakery 🤤

Leaving for Brazil 2 Weeks from today for Xmas- stopping in LA for a few days on the way over and catching a clippers and a rams game so looking forward to that.
Will be cool to be in Brasil for the World Cup again too- will be mad if they can win a sixth title. 🇧🇷⚽🍻😃
Whoa that's an awesome trip - you heading over specifically for the football? It's an awesome country, if you have some spare time, Paraty (around 4 hours bus from Rio city) is one of my favourite places ever, amazing old colonial town on the river.

Whoa that's an awesome trip - you heading over specifically for the football? It's an awesome country, if you have some spare time, Paraty (around 4 hours bus from Rio city) is one of my favourite places ever, amazing old colonial town on the river.
Yeah been there bro- wicked eh.
I lived in Brasil for a couple of years- that’s what got me on the forums- trying to find out how I could watch the warriors over there- used to get up at all sorts of times to watch on a shitty feed haha

Yeah been there bro- wicked eh.
I lived in Brasil for a couple of years- that’s what got me on the forums- trying to find out how I could watch the warriors over there- used to get up at all sorts of times to watch on a shitty feed haha
Whoa so cool man, I had a Mrs from there so went over for about 6 weeks and loved it. Interesting part of the world and awesome people. Hoping to get back next year for a month or so. Where did you end up living?

Reactions: Defence
Whoa so cool man, I had a Mrs from there so went over for about 6 weeks and loved it. Interesting part of the world and awesome people. Hoping to get back next year for a month or so. Where did you end up living?
São Paulo state but I was out of the rat race in a little city called Tietê.
My wife’s Brazilian and my daughter was born there.
Only gringo in town. Got some good drug there so looking forward to it.

Edit: oops that was meant to be good friends- don’t know how that happened- but it does apply so I’m leaving it 😂

Last edited:
How does this work?
Simples

It’s a holiday and we do the driving

We sit down at home and work out where we want to go to (our route is as below), book flights and accommodation using Booking.com & AirBnb, book the lease car, jump on the plane, arrive at .. pickup car and off we go.

We don’t use a travel agent, all done on the great www.

Depending on what sights etc. there are in the vicinity we stay at each place anywhere from 2 to 7 days e.g. Ulm 2 days, Baden & Freiburg 7 days each as we want to spend time in the Black Forest.

If we are on the move from A to B then we try and find the next stop within no more than 250-300kms away which gets us to B by early afternoon

Route
Frankfurt, Mannheim, Baden-Baden, Freiburg im Breisgau
Ulm, Nuremberg, Wurzburg, Rothenburg ob der Tauber
Augsburg, Fussen, Bolzano, Verona
Ravenna, Rimini, Ancona, Pescara
Foggia, Bari, Lecce, Matera
Benevento, Rome

Last edited:
Thanks guys
With all this travel buzz and the family just receiving their ancestry dna & feeling all nostalgic we started organising a trip to Ireland & scotland for next August. Don't drive so it will be by train & bus but jeez some of these places are backward. Might give it a miss & just go shopping in LA