General Toyota Cup

The 22 BEAST_old

What a mouth watering match up this weekend.

Bunnies 1st Place v Warriors 3rd Place.

Ive been watching all the Toyota Cup games they show on tv and i think we have the goods to go all the way this year.

This is the game of the round !

Fazz_old

Always watch the toyota cup on tv and whenever I make it to a game. Puzzles me why more don't make the effort to go and watch these great games before the nrl...

The 22 BEAST_old

Always watch the toyota cup on tv and whenever I make it to a game. Puzzles me why more don't make the effort to go and watch these great games before the nrl...

I say that every time

Fazz_old

It's because it's so true lol. On the plus, it looks like attendance is up from the first year of the NYC. Based off of tv games anyway. '

Hopefully the junior warriors put in a good show here and keep themselves in the top 4.

a.c.e_old

I want to watch. But I think I might bring them bad luck by doing so. But I'll be cheering them on anyways.

Iafeta_old

Great win, a big shake of the head to Glen Fisiiahi though. Bloke ran 90m, into the in goal he goes, he starts show boating instead of putting the ball down, bang... knock on forced by a desperate defender coming from nowhere. Big face-palm on that play. Nice droppie from Shaun Johnson to win us the game. We are a genuine chance in September in this grade I feel.

Magic Stick_old

Nafe Seluini is on another level at the moment

But the guy who has stood out for me the last 5-6 weeks is prop Mark Ioane.He got the goods.look forward to see him further develop

Sam Lousi also looks one to watch...if they can get him a bit more fleet on foot.sheez watch out

scree_old

I agree with the names mentioned these guys have all been playing great lately and might be names to watch out for in the NRL some time: Seluini, Ioane and Lousi.

The commentators said Sam Lousi is 198cm (6'6").

Iafeta_old

They just have to get Sam a bit more nimble on his feet. The defensive lines move a lot quicker in the NRL, and he needs to be quick enough to adapt. At times around dummy half he is getting caught out in NYC. His strength though, his raw strength, makes him a massive prospect. Speaking of strength, how is JAmes Gavet going in the Vulcans?

PB_old

Iafeta (or others), what are your thoughts on Omar? He looks like a really talented, dedicated, and switched-on player. The type that will rise to whatever level you put him at.

Iafeta_old

He has a good step, but I need to see more of him before making a call TBH. The NRL these days is really calling for tall athletic wingers so guys like Omar may not cut it.

PB_old

He has a good step, but I need to see more of him before making a call TBH. The NRL these days is really calling for tall athletic wingers so guys like Omar may not cut it.

Lol. It's a sad moment in my height-restricted life when 5ft10 is too short for a league winger. He's 18. Hopefully Omar has some growing left.

Sigh... I will set aside some sulking time later.

Iafeta_old

Yep, its truly sad. Remember Jason Williams? He was only 5'11", but that bloke was dynamite. I wonder whether those sorts of players would make it today. Jason Nightingale encourages me that they would, although 6'1" is no slouch is it! I reckon guys like Matt Utai suffered from the whole love-in of the cross-field bomb to the winger. It's amazing El Masri went as well as he did with that problem.

PB_old

Yep, its truly sad. Remember Jason Williams? He was only 5'11", but that bloke was dynamite. I wonder whether those sorts of players would make it today. Jason Nightingale encourages me that they would, although 6'1" is no slouch is it! I reckon guys like Matt Utai suffered from the whole love-in of the cross-field bomb to the winger. It's amazing El Masri went as well as he did with that problem.

Yep. Williams had one of the best in-and-aways I've seen. El Masri was a far better player than he'll ever be remembered for.

Agree on Utai. As someone who played a bit of wing, and is shorter than him, I feel his pain. The art of blocking has come a long way, but even if your team does a great job you'll still concede some. Hopefully your plus sides tip selection your way, else you have to fight for hooker/halfback with the playmakers.

In general, I feel the days of players the size of Preston Campell, Ewen McGrady, and Paul Taylor (remember him?) are numbered. Just like in the ABs. Cowan is 6ft1, and most other halves (little men, ha!) are 5ft10+. Guys like Wales's Shane Williams are such an exception now.

I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

What on earth were you doing playing on the wing and not...well...in the halves?