General Toopi to Manly?

• Thread starter MiXmasterreece_old
  • Start date

MiXmasterreece_old

From the Manly Daily in Sydney.

EX-KIWI Test back Clinton Toopi has volunteered to join the Sea Eagles for the rest of the year.

The 29-year-old is currently playing rugby for Whakatane Marist in the Eastern Bay competition in New Zealand.

Toopi last played in the NRL in 2006 before joining Leeds in the English Super League.

However, a knee injury saw him return back home last July.

Toopi, who played 15 Tests for New Zealand from 2001-05, confirmed with The Manly Daily on Friday he has been approached by the Sea Eagles.

The ex-Warrior is one of several names up for consideration at Narrabeen as the club continues their search for a replacement for injured fullback Brett Stewart.

“They did show some interest last week,” Toopi confirmed.

“At this stage I’m actually playing rugby, but I’d definitely be interested.

“Nothing definite yet is happening.”

Toopi’s manager Peter Brown said he’s been in contact with the premiers and believes his client could “easily” return to the NRL.

“He’s just weighing up his options at the moment,” Brown said.

It is believed Toopi’s injury status is still a concern with the Sea Eagles.

Manly CEO Grant Mayer refused to comment directly on Toopi.

The Sea Eagles boss said the club is only in a position to offer players second-tier contracts, up to $50,000 for the remainder of the year.

“No offer has been made to anybody to come to Manly at this stage,” Mayer said.

“It’s no secret that due to injuries, we are short in the outside backs.

“If anything, it would be a short-term contract, if anything at all.”

Other options include Tigers pair Shannon Gallant and Shannon McDonnell.

“We had an informal chat with the club,” McDonnell’s manager Steve Gillis said.

“There’s been no formal offer, until that happens, it’s business as usual.

“Shannon’s training with the Tigers.”

Ex-Knight David Seage said he’s no chance.

“I don’t think I’d be in a position to do it,” the 29-year-old, who now plays for Wynnum-Manly in Brisbane, said.

☆ИITЯO ßOY✯_old

WTF? Hey Clint you know you could volunteer to play for us you know

Northern_Union

I'd love to see Clinton back in black for us. Give us a break from JoRo for a week or two at least.

Kid-Dynamite_old

With Matai and Lyon there, Toopi would be struggling to make the Manly team anyway!

What manly need is a decent fullback to offer there vouluntary services!

MiXmasterreece_old

With Matai and Lyon there, Toopi would be struggling to make the Manly team anyway!

What manly need is a decent fullback to offer there vouluntary services!

Matai is a week to week prospect. One knock and his shoulder could explode.

warriors4life_old

They're searching for a replacement for Stewart...so they want to stick Toopi at fullback?

Kid-Dynamite_old

Matai is a week to week prospect. One knock and his shoulder could explode.

Well then they got Tony Williams!

What happened to him, he was starting to show some good signs towards the end of the year last season with the Eels, and now I think he's had one game since coming to Manly.

Is he injured?? Cos i would have him ahead of Micheal Bani!

Jesbass_old

They're searching for a replacement for Stewart...so they want to stick Toopi at fullback?

Well, that's where his junior days were spent, as well as his first 4 NRL starts. But I'd say he's more being looked at for depth than anything else.

warriors4life_old

If it doesn't happen apparently he will be playing for Bay of Plenty in the Air New Zealand Cup.

Would love to see it happen though, he may be a bit past it but would be great to see him playing in the NRL again.

Jesbass_old

I agree - it would. But if he ends up playing for the Steamers, I may just watch the occasional 5 minutes on TV. :D

garyhobson_old

Clinton Toopi my all time favourite Warrior players. If he ever return to the NRL he'll be well off the pace. Hope he does make a come back, 29 years old, he might have a few seasons left in him.

Northern_Union

Clinton is also my favourite all time player and i'd love to see him back in the NRL.

commonsense_old

i didnt know toopi could play fullback.

he isnt really a support player, toopi was the guy who created for the support players. it would be interesting if he does join the eagles

garyhobson_old

Thats where he started off playing for the Warriors. Did pretty well there too, very good under the high ball. He wouldnt be selected at fullback for Manly, if they do pick him up. Perhaps Manly is considering moving Jaime Lyon to five eight and having Toopi and Matai in the centres.

Jesbass_old

i didnt know toopi could play fullback.

he isnt really a support player, toopi was the guy who created for the support players. it would be interesting if he does join the eagles

Yes, well he could - not sure if he still can.

insulinboi_old

Seriously, why would he even contemplate this? We have our number one centre out. If he is thinking about the NRL, surely he would want to play for the warriors.

Northern_Union

The club that sacked him? I wouldn't be interested in playing for us again, would you?