General TOOPI (RUMOUR)

Laner_old

Big rumour starting here in St Helens that Toopi has signed for us for the 2007 season with Willie Talau not having his contract renewed. Anybody heard anything in NZ?

MiXmasterreece_old

He dont think hes gonna go anywhere to be honest. Article I read a couple of days had him saying that he doesnt want to leave NZ and the warriors arent giving him a reason to go.

Fobin_Hood_old

Laner said:
Big rumour starting here in St Helens that Toopi has signed for us for the 2007 season with Willie Talau not having his contract renewed. Anybody heard anything in NZ?

Toopi's gone at the end of the year!!! Not too sure if its St Helens but hes definately gone.

Jesbass_old

Fobin_Hood said:
Laner said:

Toopi's gone at the end of the year!!! Not too sure if its St Helens but hes definately gone.

Source?

KeepingTheFaith_old

Toopi already said that he's going to test himself on the open market. That would mean he's not signing with anyone until at least July.

Still, this isn't the first rumour we've had this year. Mannering should be in whitehaven right now, and Toopi has already been linked with Penrith and Wigan while Webb should just about be running the All Blacks backline by now shouldn't he?

Fobin_Hood_old

Jesbass said:
Fobin_Hood said:
Laner said:

Source?

Cant say :wink: but Toopi's definately gone. Thats all i can say.

tmaster_old

I can't see him sticking around. Another one of the true Warriors greats on his way. He would command close to 300k in the NRL and close to 500k in ESL no way the Warriors can compete with that.

I suspect they will only be able to offer 200-220k max perhaps less if they go after Webb. Also I think Webby is more valueble to the team.

MiXmasterreece_old

I think theyll keep both Webby and Toopi, I doubt either will go to ESL and they wont command enough in the NRL to make it worth their while, unless they get an offer from the likes of Souths (Which neither will go to).

To be honest I think you might see the likes of Guttenbeil and Martin shunt off at the end of the season making abit more room in the cap

Jesbass_old

MiXmasterreece said:
To be honest I think you might see the likes of Guttenbeil and Martin shunt off at the end of the season making abit more room in the cap

I don't know when Awen Guttenbeil's contract expires, but if he stays next year on the same figure as the one he's on this year, the Warriors will be $100,000 further under the cap due to the NRL's ten year ruling. ;)

da mad maori

I KNOW Toopi is going to St Helens. He has already bought a house, a Landrover, with a baby-seat, and a boat which is docked at a pictureque seaside port close by.

hmmmmm, heard it all before...

MiXmasterreece_old

Jesbass said:
MiXmasterreece said:

I don't know when Awen Guttenbeil's contract expires, but if he stays next year on the same figure as the one he's on this year, the Warriors will be $100,000 further under the cap due to the NRL's ten year ruling. ;)

Not sure I catch ya drift on this one

ozbash_old

da mad maori said:
I KNOW Toopi is going to St Helens. He has already bought a house, a Landrover, with a baby-seat, and a boat which is docked at a pictureque seaside port close by.

hmmmmm, heard it all before...

yes, i heard he does like to live beside the seaside,, he,s made enquiries to see if he can take some mussel spat and set up a mussel farm on the end of brighton pier.

madbaz_old

MiXmasterreece said:
Jesbass said:
MiXmasterreece said:

Jesbass_old

MiXmasterreece said:
Jesbass said:
MiXmasterreece said:

There is an NRL ruling that if a player plays for the same club for 10 years, they will ignore the first $100,00 of their salary for each year they continue to play for that team. So if Guttenbeil is getting paid $250,000, only $150,000 is considered as part of the salary cap.

sebastian_old

tmaster said:
I can't see him sticking around. Another one of the true Warriors greats on his way. He would command close to 300k in the NRL and close to 500k in ESL no way the Warriors can compete with that.

I suspect they will only be able to offer 200-220k max perhaps less if they go after Webb. Also I think Webby is more valueble to the team.

hell yeah, webbs going into his prime toopis past it.

Iafeta_old

MiXmasterreece said:
He dont think hes gonna go anywhere to be honest. Article I read a couple of days had him saying that he doesnt want to leave NZ and the warriors arent giving him a reason to go.

I read his comments as being completely different. From memory he said he'd been in dicussion with the Warriors, and would now definitely hit the open market.

I'd suggest our chances or retaining Clinton are fading.

Iafeta_old

Jesbass said:
MiXmasterreece said:

Yep, exactly. If Awen's after anything equal to or less to $150,000 the Warriors will resign him - and rightfully so.