Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 25/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: Nil
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)

Last edited:
I don’t get how anyone thinks Klemmer is half decent. He moves slower than time, error prone and gives away mindless penalties. Football IQ of Lodge.

Fuck stats it’s watching these guys live they count.
Stats ain't the be all & end all but they could help you realise that across his last 49 games he's only been penalized 9 times. Sometimes we miss this stuff live, especially if we have preconceived ideas

Last edited:
I thought what elevated AFB last year was a bit of a step in his game... he'd always had footwork but it was being used well, beating players and the line breaks and tries came..... it warmed my heart to see a touch of the same from Barnett in yesterdays trial! One of the things that seems to make them shine under webby is loving their football so it's not just pretty to watch and effective, it strengthens the bonds to the team. With Niukore looking like mixing front and 2nd rows I don't see a need to panic for front rowers tbh
Sorry for two responses to your thought provoking post.

The longer this drags for with no new recruitment target coming to light then I think that means they are leaning towards making do with what we have like you say.

8 Barnett
10 Niukore

Bench
Ale / Bunty/ Zyon Maiu’u

if one of Barnett or Niukore get injured then things look pretty barren. Also talk about Barnett wanting a compassionate leave was circulating a month ago.
I personally do also think we need to avoid panicking as nothing good comes from that but i do think we need to aggressively acquire a prop or two props.

That said and just repeating myself the longer this drags based on our history under McFadden as recruitment boss I can see us waving the white flag and indeed focusing on internal resources. I don't think that is the correct move. But it is what I think they will do if we are in this same situation 4-6 weeks from now.
Which will be a shame as I don't see us making the 8 in 2025 with the above prop rotation.

Looking at Wrighty's list of props... half are passed their use by date.. The rest seem to be substandard (Nothing against Webby's talents) but I doubt if he make them any better..
A lot can happen in the prop market during the year so who knows.
Club could even sus out ESL find an experienced tough ass pom if they haven't already..
I think patience is the virtue here....

In the words of Gus Gould, NO, NO, NO, NO, NO!!!!

I don’t get how anyone thinks Klemmer is half decent. He moves slower than time, error prone and gives away mindless penalties. Football IQ of Lodge.

Fuck stats it’s watching these guys live that counts. Too many SuperCoach fans out there.

Hard pass from me!
Yup, Me too. He'd have his own sack klemmer thread by the end of his debut game for the club lol.

Sorry for two responses to your thought provoking post.

The longer this drags for with no new recruitment target coming to light then I think that means they are leaning towards making do with what we have like you say.

8 Barnett
10 Niukore

Bench
Ale / Bunty/ Zyon Maiu’u

if one of Barnett or Niukore get injured then things look pretty barren. Also talk about Barnett wanting a compassionate leave was circulating a month ago.
I personally do also think we need to avoid panicking as nothing good comes from that but i do think we need to aggressively acquire a prop or two props.

That said and just repeating myself the longer this drags based on our history under McFadden as recruitment boss I can see us waving the white flag and indeed focusing on internal resources. I don't think that is the correct move. But it is what I think they will do if we are in this same situation 4-6 weeks from now.
Which will be a shame as I don't see us making the 8 in 2025 with the above prop rotation.

I do wonder if they develop Marata into a starting forward for 2025 and focus on making Ale/Bunty/Zyon Maiu’u into high impact players would be enough, we do have second rowers coming through too. That Toni guy looks the size to be a good prop, this tactic might be better than the shopping list, surely we can develop some home grown props? Look at all the talents at union??

Can't help but feel that being patient is the right move.

Players become available for all sorts of reasons and let's face it - they look after #1 most times.

Being a force this year will help. Some cocky big shot will convince themselves they are the missing piece to a Warriors premiership!

(Looking at you NAS, Tapine, JFH, Neame, Thompson (& bro).

Here's a bit of left field, why not look at if we could get one solid season bringing Sio Siua Taukeiaho back from France to add to his solitary Warriors cap.

People should remember that we originally got AFB by being super patient. We saved our cap space and waited for the right opportunity to strike which presented itself when AFB wanted to leave Sydney suddenly.. The BHU news is a blessing in disguise: we can afford to wait. I have no doubt that an opportunity to jab a premier prop of similar quality to AFB will present itself over the next year: we just have to ensure that we have the cap space when that time comes.

Can't help but feel that being patient is the right move.

Players become available for all sorts of reasons and let's face it - they look after #1 most times.

Being a force this year will help. Some cocky big shot will convince themselves they are the missing piece to a Warriors premiership!

(Looking at you NAS, Tapine, JFH, Neame, Thompson (& bro).

Here's a bit of left field, why not look at if we could get one solid season bringing Sio Siua Taukeiaho back from France to add to his solitary Warriors cap.
Not sure where it ended up with Taukieho failing his medical to join the bulldogs? They’ve signed Zane Tetevano in the last few days

People should remember that we originally got AFB by being super patient. We saved our cap space and waited for the right opportunity to strike which presented itself when AFB wanted to leave Sydney suddenly.. The BHU news is a blessing in disguise: we can afford to wait. I have no doubt that an opportunity to jab a premier prop of similar quality to AFB will present itself over the next year: we just have to ensure that we have the cap space when that time comes.
That’s the positive spin. The other side is we waited for a premier prop for years before AFB and could be in the same situation again.

NZ produces haps of great props, it’s just they don’t seem to end up at the Warriors. Hopefully our success draws them in this time round.

This for the 40th time in this thread is the list of available props for 2025 - It is my suppostion we can't let 2025 slide by as a rebuilding year per an earlier post I made

PROP

Mat Croker, Sione Fainu, Peter Hola, Samuel Hughes, Valingi Kepu, Liam Knight, Matthew Lodge, Makahesi Makatoa, Terrell May, Sam McIntyre, Jordan McLean, Shaquai Mitchell, Tepai Moeroa, Francis Molo, Michael Molo, Jirah Momoisea, Ofahiki Ogden, Chris Patolo, Aaron Pene, Ky Rodwell, Jamayne Taunoa-Brown, Martin Taupau, Alec Tuitavake, Jarrod Wallace, Aaron Woods

There are some really piss poor names on that list and some other guys who used to be good but father time has caught up to them.
I remember when we had reasonably big hopes for Aaron Pene. People on this forum also were hopeful for JTB. Less said about Mathew Lodge the better. Martin Taupau would be an interesting get if we could get him for league minimum 180K. Taupau will be 36 next year.

Why can't we put our hat in the ring for the bidding circus around Terrell May. Even if he wants to stay in Australia why not just try.
Who cares he wants to play with his brothers. Money talks.
Wrighty you forget the all important 2nd part of the recruitment process.
Are they available?
Do they pass the no dickhead test?
This club are big on the 2nd part of the process as much as the first. 😉

Are we still looking for props, Bunty fits the experienced category and Ale has been well blooded now. That means as middles there is AFB, Barnett, Niukore, Tohu. Zyon Maiu’u, TSS.. a number are rookies but I do not see a lack of depth.
What concerns me is that the club has a good history in taking our juniors in some positions such as outside backs and second rowers and developing them through to first grade players. But we haven’t, in recent times, been good at developing and retaining halves (since SJ), hookers (since Betham) or props (since Packer and Rapira). I wonder if fans have gotten use to us “importing” NRL standard front rowers now instead of developing our own and aren’t prepared to think that Bunty or Ale…. and even TSS and Zyon Maiu’u, will become “premier” props.

Back