Social Cooking thread

3208DD5D-A1F7-4D25-A5D4-0E0F1C4D4D9B-42057-000015D07295DA32.jpeg

Sick of cafe prices. A week of
Smoked streaky bacon , Persian feta, oven dried tomatoes and poached eggs. Occasional avo if I can time the ripeness.

Last edited:
With pseudoephedrine back over the counter again soon, this thread could have a whole new meaning for tip trading.

Gender roles and areas aside, I wonder if there is an aesthetic excitement element that BBQing has over stovetop.

Ultimately a BBQ and stovetop perform the same task, but BBQing does it far more chaotically with flames and smells that you just don't get with a stovetop.

Also, most people I know haven't cleaned their BBQs for extended periods of time, if ever. So maybe there's a ln 'okay it's dirty, because it's outside' mentality.

You can fit more blokes around a bbq than an inside cooktop. So there's more room to talk man talk. It's a good thing. You can politicise, theorise, get philosophical, talk rubbish, grunt, drink beer while cooking, fix the Warriors defence, argue for and against having Jazz as a starting prop. Yeah basically that

Do you or anyone here make Butter Chicken with store bought sauce? if so do you/does anyone have a good recipe for making it more like the real deal?

I heard this can be achieved by adding cream.

A guy made one, one time at band camp and it was better than some Indian Restaurants (but he wasn't much for sharing his method).

When I googled this topic there is a wide range of recommends on which curry paste/sauce is better.
Met an Indian bloke who said his main complaint about anybody else's butter chicken is that there's bugger all butter in it. I don't have a recipe but he suggested butter and lots of it was key. Also I am not a curry expert

You can fit more blokes around a bbq than an inside cooktop. So there's more room to talk man talk. It's a good thing. You can politicise, theorise, get philosophical, talk rubbish, grunt, drink beer while cooking, fix the Warriors defence, argue for and against having Jazz as a starting prop. Yeah basically that
Also having a bunch of blokes crowded around a kitchen cooktop may indicate that they are waiting for the knives to get hot.

You have to laugh at men who think cooking (real cooking not snags on a hot plate and toast and beans in the morning) is effeminate.

Known a few (mostly Aussie) blokes over the years who crack jokes about me in the kitchen and how their missus knows who wears the pants.

Yeah whatever, best chefs in the world are largely blokes eh.

When I was dating, I used to have a cook together date plan - it is a great way to get to know a woman by engaging in a social activity, maybe having a few wines while prepping food together.

I would ask what their favorite thing to cook / make is - then invite them to go with it while I cook what I am good at (tended to be seafood, but not everyone eats it, so it is a good way to show you are interested in your dates likes/preferences and that you can actively listen instead of the usual).

Worked for me any who. Even if your date hates cooking you can order in and play the same getting to know you game - this time try challenging each other to find take out that neither may have tried before.

Now I am old and happily over the dating / relationships game, at least I can cook what I like and not have to live off frozen dinners LOL.
Making pasta

Back