General Mt Smart Stadium

Is that practical with the size and weight of the thing?

Wasn't some apartment block or hotel built on one of the wharfs sinking or moving?

I want a new stadium but the sunken one and the ones over the water just start ringing alarm bells for me
It's a matter of getting through the reclaimed soil down to bedrock. Some engineers try to use a raft system approach to distribute the loads "evenly" over the soil. TBH, not the way I'd go. Even the Quay Street Stadium would be on reclaimed land.

Auckland stadiums: All you need to know about the four proposals to council​

The journey towards a definitive solution to Auckland’s stadium issues has moved a step forward, after a series of presentations to a council working group in December last year.

The panel, set up in September 2023 by Mayor Wayne Brown, is tasked with finding the best long-term option for a main stadium in the city and then making a non-binding recommendation to the wider council. The working group are scheduled to meet in the next month before forwarding its recommendations to the council by the end of March. The governing body are expected to vote on the preferred stadium option around April-May.

Eight interested parties submitted expressions of interest earlier last year but that field has since narrowed. The final quartet of proposals on the table, each the subject of 75-minute presentations in December, are:

• Eden Park 2.0. This option sees a redevelopment of the historic venue, pushing the capacity to 60,000. There are plans for a retractable roof, a new north stand, upgrades to two other grandstands and a pedestrian accessway crossing Sandringham Rd.
  • Waterfront Arena Aotearoa. This proposal, first mooted by the Waterfront Consortium in 2018, is centred on a 50,000-seat facility at Bledisloe Wharf, which can be increased to 70,000, and has become known as the “sunken stadium”.
  • The Tank Farm. Based at Wynyard Point, this is the newest proposal, believed to be based on a 50,000-60,000 capacity, transforming the former industrial wasteland into a downtown arena.
  • Quay Park. This bid, which first surfaced in 2021, is a 50,000-capacity stadium that can be scaled down to 20,000 for smaller events, the first artists designs of this proposal were revealed by the Herald last week. The stadium is envisioned to be part of a new sports and entertainment precinct at the eastern end of the waterfront, in the vicinity of Spark Arena.
The presentations were made to the working group chaired by councillor Shane Henderson. The other councillors are Julie Fairey, Wayne Walker, Daniel Newman and Chris Darby. The panel also includes Sport New Zealand chief executive Raelene Castle, Tataki Auckland Unlimited boss Nick Hill, Tau Henare (independent Māori Statutory representative) and key mayoral adviser Simon Johnston.

“It went really well,” Henderson told the Herald following the presentation. “We had some really different ideas and outside-the-box thinking and a real dedication to Aotearoa and what makes us unique and special. That’s pretty cool and that’s what you need in any kind of large civic space like that.”

Henderson declined to go into detail on the bids, saying, “That’s all highly confidential at this stage.”

The next step will see an independent assessment of the four pitches by a consulting company – believed to not be one of the “big four” – who will report back to the working group with their findings.

“It’s about kicking the tyres and getting a second opinion,” said Henderson. “We have some really good expertise on that working group and we also have councillors that are experts in the public opinion and the public mood but not necessarily on the day-to-day running of a stadium.

“This is obviously a huge investment, both in terms of finances and the future of the city for decades to come. We want to do this quickly, to provide certainty for Aucklanders, but it has to be balanced with some real strong expertise.”

It’s believed that two of the downtown options were priced at just over $1 billion, with a third considerably more. Eden Park’s cost for its ambitious renovation was about $850 million. Mayor Brown has already instructed that minimal ratepayer funds will be available and the central Government has yet to commit.

“It’s a huge investment in terms of capital but it also has to wash its face from our operational perspective,” said Henderson. “So it’s not just stadium construction. The three waterfront options have all pitched proposals that include high levels of private funding.”

It’s understood that both the mayor and the Government have made it clear in private discussions that the final solution can’t be a “white elephant”.

One industry expert told the Herald that the proposed main stadium, wherever it is ultimately placed, will need to have a minimum of 30 major events annually to break even and more than 40 to turn a profit.

That will mean that sporting content with anchor tenants such as the Warriors, Blues and the new Auckland A-League football team will be crucial given the fickle and complicated nature of entertainment events, especially large-scale concerts.

Actually jumping on Google earth and looking at staduims around the world. The two big things that stick out are train stations with multi-tracks going in at least 2 - 3 directions plus a reasonable amount of public parking. Also if built near a river or harbour, then ferry terminals are nearby.
So they need to think smart and plan for what AK will look like in the next 30 - 40 years..
Quite frankly Mt Smart, Eden Park were built in the 40s - 50s when the pop was under a million and plenty of room around them.. Now IMO they should both give way for city expansion.. and build something modern.. Which raises the next question... Where?

It’s about kicking the tyres and getting a second opinion,” said Henderson. “We have some really good expertise on that working group and we also have councillors that are experts in the public opinion and the public mood but not necessarily on the day-to-day running of a stadium.
We have been kicking tyres for a new stadium for a while now.

If they are presenting proposals to a group, hopefully it moves forward. The people on the committee looking at the proposals, likely have a good number. Meetings fully catered and likely another few years of debating.

Actually jumping on Google earth and looking at staduims around the world. The two big things that stick out are train stations with multi-tracks going in at least 2 - 3 directions plus a reasonable amount of public parking. Also if built near a river or harbour, then ferry terminals are nearby.
Having multiple ingress and egress routes via PT is key. Look at Eden Park after a sold out game - Kingsland station is an absolute dogs breakfast, particularly as they don't think of having multiple trains ready to go.

I don't think Mt Smart is a horrible location in some regards - good parking, relatively central, industrial area so minimal noise controls, train station an OK distance away.

However, it is so utterly lacking in any kind of pre or post game hospitality that it doesn't make for the full experience. Think Kingsland, Britomart, etc.

I don't think Auckland has one perfect location but the closest we'd get would probably be Wynyard with ferries, trains, buses all a 10 minute walk away. Of course, there's also a massive retirement village going in right next door (as well as heaps of other apartments) so imagine they'll probably kick up a stink and put the kabosh on it.

If Eden Park gets more handouts so help me god!!!!

Taylor swift didn’t come to NZ because Eden Park can only hold 6 concerts a year and they only offered her 1.

Cross Eden Park off the list. Even with an upgrade it’s always going to be in a residential area with resource consent issues.
Whether they right or wrong but EPTB reckon, with the right amount of money, they’ll be able to sound proof a roofed stadium to the point that they’ll be able to have events go after 10.30pm and be able to hold more than six concerts per year.

and what is the right amount of money?
IMO, too much for it to be considered an option. It would be different if it was a publicly owned asset but with it’s current ownership structure and management, it’s a big no from me.

There was an option given to Mallard before the upgrades for the 2011 RWC that the new stands would have finished at the same height making it easier to put on a roof in the future and that it become a rectangular stadium….. but Mallard was upset his waterfront stadium wasn’t accepted so he refused to allow government money to be extended to that and instead we got the white elephant that is there now.

As far as options on where the club could end up or competition for funds to get upgrades to Mt Smart. This could mean one option is off the list.

It works ok for NSW Cup games.

I remember during the 2011 World Cup venue debate and the guy running North Harbour said it was designed for 60k capacity, but was only half-built. I'm not sure even if you matched the current grandstand on the other side and build something at the other ends if you'd get close to that. It's always perplexed me that statement. Also a good indication of where we are at with stadiums. We have one that you can argue has never been finished and it could potentially be knocked down.

As far as options on where the club could end up or competition for funds to get upgrades to Mt Smart. This could mean one option is off the list.

I remember during the 2011 World Cup venue debate and the guy running North Harbour said it was designed for 60k capacity, but was only half-built. I'm not sure even if you matched the current grandstand on the other side and build something at the other ends if you'd get close to that. It's always perplexed me that statement. Also a good indication of where we are at with stadiums. We have one that you can argue has never been finished and it could potentially be knocked down.

Back in the pre-Auckland Council days, each of greater Auckland’s metro Council’s wanted their “own” stadiums (whether owned by the TA’s or privately): Douglas Track and Field (by Trust Arena) was Waitakere City Council’s, North Shore had North Harbour Stadium and Auckland City Council propped up the EPTB. Even the ARC got into the act with Mt Smart.

Manukau City Council felt left out and proposed that a new stadium should be built in Wiri and the Counties Manukau NPC team move from their base in Pukekohe to there. The ideas was for a 15000 to 20000 seat stadium be built behind the events centre. Fortunately, it didn’t proceed and instead the Wero Whitewater Park was built instead.

Otherwise, instead of just talking about four stadiums in Auckland, we could have added another “white elephant” to the list.

Even though it is my local stadium, it isn't even close to fit for purpose.
Knock it down, replace it with community fields and a 5-10k stadium.
I see that the Auckland A-League team will be basing their training facilities there.
That will be the perfect size for North Harbour Rugby, NSW Cup, Woman's A-League, Moana Pasifika, Chatham Cup finals etc etc while also being just big enough to be a back up should there be a clash at EP or Mt Smart (or Waterfront)

Even though it is my local stadium, it isn't even close to fit for purpose.
Knock it down, replace it with community fields and a 5-10k stadium.
I see that the Auckland A-League team will be basing their training facilities there.
That will be the perfect size for North Harbour Rugby, NSW Cup, Woman's A-League, Moana Pasifika, Chatham Cup finals etc etc while also being just big enough to be a back up should there be a clash at EP or Mt Smart (or Waterfront)
I live on the Shore so it is convenient for me as well

Going to a NSW Cup game last year it seemed suitable for that level of event. Mind you they only had one gate open and we parked at the empty car park and had to drive across. The other one is shared with the pool and ended up being full, so we had to drive across to the mall.

It stood out though as the side you see on camera looks acceptable and the other side which used to be a hill is now just a half-done grandstand built into the hill.

I remember going to a Warrior trial there, think it was 2004 as we had the young guys Anderson signed that didn't work out. Had tickets via work and was in the lounge part upstairs. We had to park where the mall is now along a road and walk across paddocks. So it is better around there now.

The area has potential with the second field and the car parks. The challenge is a stadium at an appropriate size. If they knocked it down and did something smaller it would work. The car park would be able to service most/all of the attendees.

This guy gets shit done!
Bill Foley 👍

The latest sighting of the waterfront stadium was last week, when Bill Foley, the billionaire franchise owner of Auckland’s new A-League football club, announced that a 20,000-seat waterfront stadium was part of the club’s plan. Though based at Mount Smart initially, “we want our own stadium”, he said .

The idea of a waterfront stadium has been a feature of public debate in Auckland for many years.
More

The problem we have with stadiums is the same as all of the other infrastructure. We talk about it and move on as it is too expensive. We get to a later date and all we hear is comparisons to what it would have cost if we did it back then.

My mother used to continue shopping for other big-ticket items like cars etc even after they had brought the item. Then complained about the deal they could have gotten. For the car it was even funnier as she didn't drive so it was the cost for her to sit in the passenger seat.

Our politicians are all disciples of this guy.

1709172706024.png

Back