Recruitment Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention

Warriors 2024/2025 Recruitment & Retention Discussion
key: T = Team option, M = Mutual option, P = Player option, D = Development contract

Confirmed Top 30 2024: 28/30
Confirmed Development 2024: 5/6

Confirmed Top 30 2025: 26/30
Confirmed Development 2025: 1/6

2025 Gains: James Fucking Fisher-Harris baby! (Panthers)
2025 Losses: Addin Fonua-Blake (Sharks)
2025 Off Contract: Shaun Johnson, Jazz Tevaga

Last edited:
When they started to court Capewell, Webster mentioned they lost some experience with Curran & Sironen moving on. His signing would help cover that.

I'd say this signing may also come into that a bit. It may also mean the talk of Niukore playing more in the middle may be happening.

There have been a few comments about boosting our forward stocks. The point for me is not every signing will be someone you see as someone that would walk into first grade, with the salary cap there will be some balance with your signings. Some will be stars and some will be depth or rising stars.

We already have 3 on the higher profile side. A signing more on the depth side, someone the coaching staff feel they can get something out of helps round things out. The fact this was made so late indicates that they have been looking and want a bit more cover.

The moves they (McFadden & Webster) have made the last few years have been pretty considered. Happy to have him on board.

Cam George on Roo and Hammer made 2 small comments relating to new prop signings.
First that all the AFB like for likes are signed long term so they may have to re look at the balance and replace him with one or two players.
Second he acknowledged the BHU links but said they are being patient and will wait to make the right move.

Plenty reports coming out saying Knight’s have covered most of the Tupouniua coin so to free up cap space. Interesting how that’s gonna work, as won’t those $$ still go against their cap? Or is it more freeing up a 30 man spot on the roster maybe??

Or a "compassionate release" framed as salary cap lol

Apparently Warriors got him for peanuts...

Plenty reports coming out saying Knight’s have covered most of the Tupouniua coin so to free up cap space. Interesting how that’s gonna work, as won’t those $$ still go against their cap? Or is it more freeing up a 30 man spot on the roster maybe??

It was to free up a roster space. I doubt he would have been on much more than the minimum anyway so freeing up cap space probably wasn't as much of a consideration.

Don’t forget that as a Tongan, his name is pronounced , Donny.
Ex Marist Saints and SPC.

I was thinking the same thing when we signed Jackson Ford, so definitely a wait and see for me also. I'm excited by new faces, they still need to cut here. There are no givens anymore!
Think it was you talking about Trey Mooney the other day? Interesting to see the raiders have extended Pasami Saulo until 2026, getting harder for them to find room for Mooney. He’s got a big opportunity to put himself in the window in the all star game.

I wouldn’t mind it especially knowing he wouldn’t command nearly as much money as BHU, but would definitely have to back it up with another depth prop signing for sure.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIyGba_WMok

Shows all of what we need in his highlights for 2023 and a big unit. Probably could use him putting out some more minutes if he did arrive, but could probably afford to drop a few kilos to have some more endurance.

Just that there’s some things making it possible, like sharks wanting to extend BHU so would release Hunt from his final year of his contract? Another who was apart of Samoan World Cup team that Webster would have first hand dealings with.
Makes you wonder if the 700+ offer for BHU was to put cap pressure on the sharks to get Hunt for 2025? Could be some shrewd politics from the warriors. I think getting either of these props as a positive.

Makes you wonder if the 700+ offer for BHU was to put cap pressure on the sharks to get Hunt for 2025? Could be some shrewd politics from the warriors. I think getting either of these props as a positive.
That’s a good point and possible. When I think of the potential of Hunt and size, I’d probably prefer him. Seems to be getting better with the more teams he’s made like Samoa and Maori all stars and embraced his Maori culture like Walker since doing so. Could be where CG was coming from when talking about 2 players replacing AFB as was mentioned on here?