Staff Tony Iro

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Nah, but from all reports this guy is a complete douche...and needs to go for the benefit of the game
If he has some knowledge/leadership to impart you think he would of already done so.

What would be his legacy?? to sell Carlaw Park
Or buy lots of pubs, to try and secure funding...lol

The guy I was talking about was or is the CEO ......very feminine

From all reports very shady and plenty of conflicts of interests over the years.
Patrick Carthy ARL CEO since 1995. 18 years!

ramraider78

ramraider78

Well, the biggest old boy club in rugby league in New Zealand is ARL. - Auckland rugby league.
It is a complete jokes that the same old farts are running the game there.

I forgot the blokes name....the skinny girly (read something else lol) guy is still the CEO - since the 80s or 90s if i am right lol
what modern day organisation has a CEO for 15 years etc. Probably had the same chairman the whole time - scratching each others backs.

Local Auckland clubs are kidding themselves...they dont realise the power the wield - they dont understand governance and they could push people like that out
While the rest of the country, are pressured to perform - based on limited funding etc - i.e they are accountable

Auckland rugby league sit of craploads of money from carlaw park (clubs money) therefore just stay inefficient
NZRL established Counties Manukau Rugby League...who would operate on a shoe-string budget and already out perform ARL in South & East auckland

Yet from what I hear they are still trying to fight NZRL ....lol
The local clubs do know how much power they have IMO but hey the old boy network are good at getting there way behind the scenes, take Mt Albert they have so much influence it ain't funny (No question how much money they got), but look how many teams they field every year, if I'm right there barely constitutional to vote yet they have a big say. Key clubs have a big say and my club doesn't have a say (Otahuhu is one of those clubs LOL)

One thing I find funny is when counties clubs have a collective gripe on a club level with ARL, they are quick to find a solution, Counties has the highest player registration numbers in Auckland, my club fielded 35 teams this year.

Yeah but NZRL give guys from areas like Wanganui and Whakatane job opportunities ( where league is weak IMO) in the the big city and have been caught out big time, I've heard some funny stories. Yeah ARL are power orientated and the Counties NZRL GM has tried communication meetings in south auckland amongst the clubs and IMO it has been a success, though NZRL has to many bad financial mismanagement stories from the past - hard to gain trust over governance.

slaughterhouse.sa

Patrick Carthy ARL CEO since 1995. 18 years!

Exactly... so the CEO & Chairman have been in for 15+ years ...they must be pretty oustanding lmao.
Im sorry with Ramraider but I have to disagree, if people knew the power they have...how are they still there

mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
The local clubs do know how much power they have IMO but hey the old boy network are good at getting there way behind the scenes, take Mt Albert they have so much influence it ain't funny (No question how much money they got), but look how many teams they field every year, if I'm right there barely constitutional to vote yet they have a big say. Key clubs have a big say and my club doesn't have a say (Otahuhu is one of those clubs LOL)

One thing I find funny is when counties clubs have a collective gripe on a club level with ARL, they are quick to find a solution, Counties has the highest player registration numbers in Auckland, my club fielded 35 teams this year.

Yeah but NZRL give guys from areas like Wanganui and Whakatane job opportunities ( where league is weak IMO) in the the big city and have been caught out big time, I've heard some funny stories. Yeah ARL are power orientated and the Counties NZRL GM has tried communication meetings in south auckland amongst the clubs and IMO it has been a success, though NZRL has to many bad financial mismanagement stories from the past - hard to gain trust over governance.
Thats one of the key findings in the report that was done 3-4 years ago. The way it is set up now, with someone from the outside coming in to lead the organisation as opposed to the way the old structure was. There will always be a place for people from within the sport as no one will know the requirements better, but I would prefer a person at the top who has some form of impartiality to make the tough calls that need to be made.

Once the NZRL get themselves sorted Im hoping that it will have a trickle down effect on all the provincial league clubs starting with the ARL down. Remember, even though the NZRL is going on 106 years, its only been 3 years since it entered the 21st century. The much needed overhaul of the whole league infrastructure in NZ will take time but the platform that Jim Doyle laid and now Scott Carter is continuing will see this sport make some serious inroads and begin to give Union a run for its money.

slaughterhouse.sa

I will have to clearly disagree and say that the clubs dont...not if those same people are in charge.
In fact, the clubs nor the grass roots rugby league people have any idea either.

If they did they would have a stronger leadership at their clubs...rugby league has evolved as a community.
You would be suprised how many lawyers, doctors, Bank managers, marketing managers, community workers etc etc - but not enough of them are given an opportunity to help out their own clubs.
The idea of old boy networks ...operate at club level also.

While I do hold a little friendly hate for clubs like Mt Albert, and they have had too much say in the past.
You do understand that they have a number of smart, knowledgeable people - and as a result they aids to their success.

Otahuhu similar story...they probably do have an old boy on the board etc.

If NZRL have given jobs to people from mars...so be it, as long as they have skills required.
Jim Doyle is scottish and he has done a good job - Scotland is a weak rugby league area

Tbh that sounds more like a bit of hate or bias...from members of the league community because they didnt get the job.
I bet when it comes down to it the guy or girl from wanganui/whakatane would be more suited to a south auckland hard core league fan that coaching his superstar sons team.
And wants to work in the rugby league world etc etc.

Counties clubs are the largest clubs like Otahuhu, Mangere and Manurewa from memory have huge team numbers - doesnt neccesarily mean they have strong leadership etc.
I think Manurewa is the biggest sports club in new zealand.

As for not having trust in NZRL ...due to things in the past...
I wonder what club you are from? I wonder how many scandals, financial mismanagement they have had lol. (they have all had stories)
If they are worried about, dodgy histories - then I would look at ARL first and foremost for dodgy dealings.

slaughterhouse.sa

Thats one of the key findings in the report that was done 3-4 years ago. The way it is set up now, with someone from the outside coming in to lead the organisation as opposed to the way the old structure was. There will always be a place for people from within the sport as no one will know the requirements better, but I would prefer a person at the top who has some form of impartiality to make the tough calls that need to be made.

Once the NZRL get themselves sorted Im hoping that it will have a trickle down effect on all the provincial league clubs starting with the ARL down. Remember, even though the NZRL is going on 106 years, its only been 3 years since it entered the 21st century. The much needed overhaul of the whole league infrastructure in NZ will take time but the platform that Jim Doyle laid and now Scott Carter is continuing will see this sport make some serious inroads and begin to give Union a run for its money.

Whilst they still clearly have massive work today to continue to grow league..they are doing a good job from all accounts.

As for a trickle down effect for ARL..... well ARL went to court to stop nzrl implement changes suggested by sparc etc.
Though from memory no other areas of the country supported ARL.

They are basically trying to hold onto power and only the clubs can really demand any change.
Once everybody is onboard...im sure positive change will happen even faster

Reactions: mt.wellington
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Contributor
Club level scandal, financial mismanagement.... My sons have only played for Otahuhu for a couple years and already Ive heard stuff from our club and other clubs that would make prisoners in Mt. Eden blush. Club captains that steal money from the Hornets, get 'dealt with' internally (ARL) then come over to our club with a clean sheet and do the same to us! Missing player subs, fundraising money, the coach signing you up to a phone service provider using your private details off the enrolment forms without your knowledge for a commission... not all have happened at Otablu but the latter did happen to me!!!

In all fairness its only afew bad apples from 200 hardworking, caring parents but it makes you sick when your slogging away paying subs, fundraising, buying after game snacks, buying raffles, washing uniforms, going to practices, games, prizegivings, fundraising socials, etc to see it all go down the drain. Im not sure how much funding we get from ARL but the club is seriously underfunded.

Only mine and my kids love of the game keeps me in it but at times I could just throw it all in.

Maraea

Maraea

Just wanted to get some thoughts about what Tony Iro's move into a Recruitment Manager's role could mean for the Warriors. Do you see it as a good move, finally one person who can coordinate efforts for training and recruitment across all grades? Is it too big a role for one person? Do you think he's the right person for the job? Is it a token gesture? My humble opinion is that its seems like a great idea and the most interesting change at the Warriors under Doyle's tenure. What do you think?

Reactions: Sup42

the borg

If that's the case, it means he's not defensive coach any more...woohoo...for that I'm more than happy. As for recruitment...I don't believe he will just be allowed to sign up anybody willy-nilly.
Jim and Cappy will have a final say in it I'm sure..
So I'm ok with it

eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
It was interesting, I’m not entirely sure what Tony Iro is good at that has kept him employed by the club under two different CEO’s and head coaches, but it seems pretty clear the Big Jim will be handling the major additions and subtractions to the roster, and Iro’s job is to do the donkey work of contracting, retaining and recruiting across the rest of the 3 grades.

t-wade23

t-wade23

Nothing against Tony at all but just would like to see an team or maybe 3-5 people that handle recruitment and set up a liaison office in Sydney or Brisbane.

Set up an network so that off contract players are in direct contact with the team without having to fly over to meet potential players or vice versa during the season would be the only thing that could improve recruitment IMO.

snake77

snake77

Some good points raised. We need a Recruitment Manager as Doyle probably has enough day to day with the business side of things.

The role definitely needs to be a managerial role where he over looks a team. If it is across the board under 20's, NSW Cup and NRL it will require more than the one person. For the 20's you'd need to scout across the country and organise moving youngsters up to Auckland. It would definitely need another recruitment officer for this level along with helping provide another viewpoint.

It would be good to have a presence somewhere in Australia for recruitment. It would help with the positions we may not have depth or any youngsters coming through.

For the NRL level the CEO and coach would still be involved. The coach needs to be on-board with the players they are bringing in and the CEO needs to manage the cap. I could see Doyle being more hands on in-terms of the first grade roster.

Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
Bit unsure so I'm going to take a quietly optimistic veiw.
Iro has been firmly entrenched in the kiwis set up for a long time with Doyle, so each knows the others strengths.

Iro has a working relationship with kiwi players at other clubs through the NZRL, so that's a positive.

It also makes sense that Doyle not carry the recruitment work on his own.

Dean Bell and Wayne Scurrah seemed (from the outside, to grow stale and have limited options).

Basically we need to win more and play a better more consistent brand of footy to be more appealing to recruits, its a catch 22, since we need to sign the player type to get there.
If we were strong and looked stable, recruitment wouldn't need to work so hard.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Nothing against Tony at all but just would like to see an team or maybe 3-5 people that handle recruitment and set up a liaison office in Sydney or Brisbane.

Set up an network so that off contract players are in direct contact with the team without having to fly over to meet potential players or vice versa during the season would be the only thing that could improve recruitment IMO.

IIRC, Jim Doyle spoke of that early last year. I believe the Warriors want to expand their operating base particularly into Sydney.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
Dean Bell and Wayne Scurrah seemed (from the outside, to grow stale and have limited options).
They had more losses than wins those two...ditching Ivan Clary for Bluey was right up there and wasn't Iro in on that one as well?

• Haha
Reactions: motu1
Sup42

Sup42

Contributor
They had more losses than wins those two...ditching Ivan Clary for Bluey was right up there and wasn't Iro in on that one as well?
I dunno.

Wayne Schurrah I thought made that call.

I thought Iro might have said he wasn't ready for Head coach at that time.....not till he took over in the end from Bluey.

I might be wrong.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I dunno.

Wayne Schurrah I thought made that call.

I thought Iro might have said he wasn't ready for Head coach at that time.....not till he took over in the end from Bluey.

I might be wrong.
With a little help from his friends...an anti John Hart clique maybe?

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I am not privy to what goes on at Mt Smart but I recall about the time Ivan was shown the door some discussion either in print or on radio talkback, I think from memory it was Hugh McGahan but I am not sure and I forget the actual words but I got the impression he was not a fan of Hart and by implication Cleary.

I then recalled the rumour when Bluey first quit Leeds that he was being lined up for the Warriors. I couldn't believe it at the time but it turned out to be true. This year I heard somebody say Scurrah wasn't a bad manager he just listened to the wrong people.

McGahan Bell and Iro were old team mates so when I heard Jim Doyle talk about "jobs for the boys" I connected the dots. Maybe I have it all wrong but my comment above was a question.