Staff Tony Iro

Mone_old

4 of those 5 teams have taken premierships in the last 15 years or less. We made the finals of U18s, Reserves and 1st Grade in different years but couldn't win any of them. We got there on natural talent which we'll always be in with a chance of doing at any grade with Kiwi players, but couldn't get over the line, missed that extra something that gets the final result.

2 of the 5 of those teams dont play SG Ball.
In 03 Penrith won SG Ball in 04 1st grade was 4th
04 Nights won in 05 1st grade 15th
05 Canberra won in 06 1st grade 7th
06 Penrith won in 07 1st grade wooden spooners
07 Parra won 1st grade currently sits 13th

There doesnt seem to be any correlation good or bad between the success of the 2.
The Storm dont have a junior comp they have the Central coast Storm a Sydney based and run outfit which is really just half of the Bears and a feeder club in Queensland, how do you account for their success or the Broncos who had nothing to do with NSW competition and their junior programme has never been on the same level.

Viking_old

Your right he doesnt look very big at all.

I think we will come right as we get our key players back and as the grounds get a bit softer, temperatures lower a bit.

The real concern is the defence. Opposition have worked out how to crack us very easy, we cannot seem to defend against decoy runners and playings coming back on an angle. Pretty simple stuff.

And the opposition's speed when playing the ball is killing us in defense. The Warriors would have to be the worst team in that respect.

I got to see Packer up close, a big boy but not huge. Certainly bigger than Rapira and Wiki. Being next to Poching and Fai might make him look a bit smaller maybe.

Viking_old

2 of the 5 of those teams dont play SG Ball.
In 03 Penrith won SG Ball in 04 1st grade was 4th
04 Nights won in 05 1st grade 15th
05 Canberra won in 06 1st grade 7th
06 Penrith won in 07 1st grade wooden spooners
07 Parra won 1st grade currently sits 13th

There doesnt seem to be any correlation good or bad between the success of the 2.
The Storm dont have a junior comp they have the Central coast Storm a Sydney based and run outfit which is really just half of the Bears and a feeder club in Queensland, how do you account for their success or the Broncos who had nothing to do with NSW competition and their junior programme has never been on the same level.

OK admittedly I'm not an authority on junior grades and elite junior comps in OZ and I don't expect both junior and senior grades to be successful at the same time every year to indicate the success of junior development at any given club.

So what do Brisbane, Melbourne and Canberra use for junior development of players not ready for the QLD cup? School comps, the arrive alive comp? Are their junior development pathways inferior to the Warriors who prior to this year only had Bartercard and the occassional regional comp?

I'm touting the U20s as a way to develop a winning culture at the Warriors akin to what Brisbane and Melbourne have and the Gold Coast are developing nicely. There's obviously more to winning consistantly than just junior development, the back office has to be right and lots of money helps, good marketing and backing from the community, all of which are falling into place at the Warriors. We'll catch up on the development front as well but I get to see a lot of junior league in Auckland and I'm telling you, we've been well off the pace in previous years.

Mone_old

OK admittedly I'm not an authority on junior grades and elite junior comps in OZ and I don't expect both junior and senior grades to be successful at the same time every year to indicate the success of junior development at any given club.

So what do Brisbane, Melbourne and Canberra use for junior development of players not ready for the QLD cup? School comps, the arrive alive comp? Are their junior development pathways inferior to the Warriors who prior to this year only had Bartercard and the occassional regional comp?

I'm touting the U20s as a way to develop a winning culture at the Warriors akin to what Brisbane and Melbourne have and the Gold Coast are developing nicely. There's obviously more to winning consistantly than just junior development, the back office has to be right and lots of money helps, good marketing and backing from the community, all of which are falling into place at the Warriors. We'll catch up on the development front as well but I get to see a lot of junior league in Auckland and I'm telling you, we've been well off the pace in previous years.
Poaching it seems to be all the rage these days, Souths Penrith, and us to a degree produce very good youngsters but cant keep them all, I think there will be bigger numbers of u/20 players getting a run in 1st grade in the next few years so these clubs can make somewhat informed decisions about who they will keep in their programme.
I think the foundation starts at your top side, for instance, when we were looking to rebuild we looked at Price, Wiki, Swann to be the foundation, then built around that, thats why I see it as if your first grade is a strong contender you are more likely to keep your young talents. So a strong top side builds a foundation and a winning culture then the young guys aspire to that.
Melbourne their first premiership was more or less bought, but it gave them that winning culture.
The Gold Coast got to build their side from scratch in a good time to do so.
I still think we are just a good half away from having a very dominant side, but I dont think we have to look at our young halves only, maybe a lock who kicks and is just a bit small for a lock could slot right in.

Viking_old

Poaching it seems to be all the rage these days, Souths Penrith, and us to a degree produce very good youngsters but cant keep them all, I think there will be bigger numbers of u/20 players getting a run in 1st grade in the next few years so these clubs can make somewhat informed decisions about who they will keep in their programme.
I think the foundation starts at your top side, for instance, when we were looking to rebuild we looked at Price, Wiki, Swann to be the foundation, then built around that, thats why I see it as if your first grade is a strong contender you are more likely to keep your young talents. So a strong top side builds a foundation and a winning culture then the young guys aspire to that.
Melbourne their first premiership was more or less bought, but it gave them that winning culture.
The Gold Coast got to build their side from scratch in a good time to do so.
I still think we are just a good half away from having a very dominant side, but I dont think we have to look at our young halves only, maybe a lock who kicks and is just a bit small for a lock could slot right in.

Yeah, those are good points. Maybe I'm getting frustrated with our inability to press home our obvious advantages or 'clutching at straws' as TBH put it.

Imagine having Kevin Sinfield. One 500K star is worth 5 100K fringe 1st graders we seem intent on chasing.

TheBigHitter_old

And the opposition's speed when playing the ball is killing us in defense. The Warriors would have to be the worst team in that respect.

I got to see Packer up close, a big boy but not huge. Certainly bigger than Rapira and Wiki. Being next to Poching and Fai might make him look a bit smaller maybe.

yes, but I dont know how we can slow the play the ball down, maybe a bit more effort in defence, put the player on their back.

We seem to get grappled quite badly by other teams, I have noticed a lot of other teams wrestling on the arms of warriors players.

Every time we make a mistake and a team gets into our red zone. I have no confidence at all that we will hold them out, our defence is wafer thin. Lance would also do well to put his body on the line a bit more. He does tend to ball watch and slap at it a bit when there are attackers running though

Last edited by a moderator:

Viking_old

yes, but I dont know how we can slow the play the ball down, maybe a bit more effort in defence, put the player on their back.

We seem to get grappled quite badly by other teams, I have noticed a lot of other teams wrestling on the arms of warriors players.

Every time we make a mistake and a team gets into our red zone. I have no confidence at all that we will hold them out, our defence is wafer thin. Lance would also do well to put his body on the line a bit more. He does tend to ball watch and slap at it a bit when there are attackers running though

Monty Betham wrote an article in last weeks Sunday Star saying the same thing about controlling the ruck area and therefore controlling the speed that the opposition get to play the ball which should keep the defense from getting as tired. Other teams tacklers seem to get an eternity to try and flip ours attackers on to their back yet we seem to get very little time and get pinged for holding down if we spend more than a few seconds in the tackle. So, dismissing the tired old "aussie refs are out to get us' train of thought, it must be the techniques that we're using to slow the tackles down. I'm guessing we're just not slick enough at it. Or it could be that it seems faster for our opposition because our defenders are struggling to get back onside.

Bernie Perenara taught our U16s a technique that helps a player get up out of a tackle by propelling themselves backwards without having to struggle too much against the tacklers and helping to conserve energy. It had the added benefit of attracting penalties if the attacker got up and the defender pulled them back to the ground. Our boys never mastered it and it relyed on the attacker not being turtled but was still quite effective.

edguy_old

Your an absoloute toss king mate. Have you not read the headlines? The Warriors are down to their final fit 17. You clearly have the retardation and should go and dribble somewhere else

yeah ..thats not fair......im not allowed to have an opinion it seems ..
thought this was an open forum ....

wow .. that was the first time i ve been insulted in 960 posts ..lol

think ill change my nickname to Edtoss..hahahahah

edguy_old

this thread has gone way off from the original thread....
remember ....tony iro ... future coach ??? lol

Viking_old

It's gone off on a wild tangent and it's my fault this time (and that edtoss guy).

edguy_old

lol ... yeah ...your thread was more interesting anyways Vik..

mine was a just a what if ...

one-eyed-warrior_old

Id love to see Bluey Mc Clenan in charge after Ivan. I have no problem with Ivan atm but I think bluey is a one in a million sort of coach capable of inspiring a group players to slay any dragon, bully the bully and deliver that first premiership, keep Ivan till he comes off contract in esl.

slide.jpg

Vodafone Warriors assistant coach Tony Iro has been granted an early release from his contract to pursue other opportunities.
Vodafone Warriors chief executive Wayne Scurrah said the club had been keen for Iro to continue in the role he has filled with the NRL side for the past three seasons.
“Tony has made a major contribution since joining our football department in 2005, most recently with our NRL side,” he said.
“It’s disappointing he won’t be staying on but we gave him time to make his decision and respect the choice he has made.
“We’re extremely grateful for what Tony’s done for the Vodafone Warriors. He is looking at other opportunities and we wish him and his family all the best for the future.”
Vodafone Warriors head coach Matt Elliott said he had hoped Iro would stay for the 2013 season and beyond.
Iro, who coached the Vodafone Warriors in the National Youth Competition’s first two seasons in 2008 and 2009, said the decision was a difficult one.
“After so long here, I had a lot to weigh up,” he said.
“The Vodafone Warriors gave me the chance to start my coaching career. I’ve had plenty of great times with the club and I’ve learnt so much.
“I’m grateful for the chance I was given to start my coaching career here but I’ve decided to move on to explore other opportunities. I want to thank all the coaching staff, players past and present and staff I’ve enjoyed working with.”
As a player Iro made 25 Test appearances for the Kiwis from 1988-1998 and played almost 250 games in both the Australian and English competitions for Manly, the Sydney Roosters, Hunter, Adelaide, the Sydney Roosters, South Sydney, Wigan and Leigh.
He joined the Vodafone Warriors as IT and video analyst in 2005 before becoming development coach in 2006. He has also been the Kiwis’ assistant coach since 2009 having served in the same role in 2006 and 2007.

Link warriors.co.nz

Scurrah this arvo says he is not aware of Iro's final decision... Then a few houes later its official.

Another example of Scurrah telling porkies. Almost predictable now when he says one thing, its the opposite thata the truth!

Reactions: eamon and Sup42