Staff Tony Iro

TheBigHitter_old

. well i just hope our next coach isnt afraid to drop out of form players , or blokes that arent cutting the mustard ....

thats the point

Your an absoloute toss king mate. Have you not read the headlines? The Warriors are down to their final fit 17. You clearly have the retardation and should go and dribble somewhere else

Kid-Dynamite_old

Your an absoloute toss king mate. Have you not read the headlines? The Warriors are down to their final fit 17. You clearly have the retardation and should go and dribble somewhere else

C'mon bro, that's not necessary!

Jesbass_old

It was a fair comment from edguy - regardless of our injury toll this week, Cleary has shown a reluctance to promote juniors in the past.

TheBigHitter_old

C'mon bro, that's not necessary!

No, whats not necessary is the constant unjustified criticism of Ivan Cleary. He doesnt deserve, hes trying to do the job the best he can, With the players out injured we are going alright.

Its funny how people sit here and say make all these changes, take big risks, well its easy when your job doesnt depend on it.

TheBigHitter_old

It was a fair comment from edguy - regardless of our injury toll this week, Cleary has shown a reluctance to promote juniors in the past.

This year 6 players have made their debuts.

What juniors this year do you think should of been promoted?

What a lot of you guys fail to realise is the under 20 comp is a world away from first grade. From Sundays game I think only Sonny Fai is up to first grade. Russel Packer maybe, guess we will see this weekend. I dont think he is big enough personally.

The reason the Warriors forwards dominate in U20 has a lot to do with the fact islanders develop earlier and they are bigger than their opposition, in 1st grade this will not be the case

Viking_old

What a lot of you guys fail to realise is the under 20 comp is a world away from first grade. From Sundays game I think only Sonny Fai is up to first grade. Russel Packer maybe, guess we will see this weekend. I dont think he is big enough personally.

The reason the Warriors forwards dominate in U20 has a lot to do with the fact islanders develop earlier and they are bigger than their opposition, in 1st grade this will not be the case

I thought he was quite big? He's listed at about 6'2 and 111kgs and was pretty close to that as a 16 year old from memory. He won't dominate in 1st grade but I could see him getting 70 plus metres in 40 mins just on enthusiasm alone. My biggest worry is the U20s will miss his metres and the Canberra U20s are one of the best teams in the comp.

TheBigHitter_old

I thought he was quite big? He's listed at about 6'2 and 111kgs and was pretty close to that as a 16 year old from memory. He won't dominate in 1st grade but I could see him getting 70 plus metres in 40 mins just on enthusiasm alone. My biggest worry is the U20s will miss his metres and the Canberra U20s are one of the best teams in the comp.

I'm not really too worried that the U20's are going to miss his metres. The U20 team is too develop players to play first grade. Nothing more nothing less.

Mone_old

A lot of packers yardage is to do with the fact that he runs so much, he would have to lead the forward pack to get anywhere near the amount of ball he gets in u/20, not taking anything away from the guy but I think being a prop he will develope more slowly into a great one.
Aout his size yeah he looks big on paper so it might just be that he has real skinny legs that makes him not look very big.

Viking_old

I'm not really too worried that the U20's are going to miss his metres. The U20 team is too develop players to play first grade. Nothing more nothing less.

Dude, check out my thread on Toyota Cup dreams and add some comments. My personal opinion is that the U20s should be more than just a way of feeding players into first grade and could be used to develop a winning culture at the club. I'd even go as far as saying if we can't win the Toyota Cup, we won't win the Telstra Premiership either.

Mone_old

. I'd even go as far as saying if we can't win the Toyota Cup, we won't win the Telstra Premiership either.
Thats going too far, we nearly got there in 02 and 03, what about Melbourne Canberra and look at Brisbane the most successful modern day team.
Look at Penrith and Souths they are always strong at SG Ball level.

Last edited by a moderator:

TheBigHitter_old

Dude, check out my thread on Toyota Cup dreams and add some comments. My personal opinion is that the U20s should be more than just a way of feeding players into first grade and could be used to develop a winning culture at the club. I'd even go as far as saying if we can't win the Toyota Cup, we won't win the Telstra Premiership either.

What a load of garbage.

Water flows downstream.

Remember back in Superleague both our Jr teams made the Grand Final. Now tell me what happened in the years after that?

your clutching at straws for sucsess, you cant see it in the first grade team so your pinning all your hopes on the U20s

Mone_old

What a load of garbage.

Water flows downstream.

Remember back in Superleague both our Jr teams made the Grand Final. Now tell me what happened in the years after that?

your clutching at straws for sucsess, you cant see it in the first grade team so your pinning all your hopes on the U20s

Haha we never agree but I think your spot on here, I remember I think it was our reserve grade and our u/18's both made and lost the GF, it had no effect on our 1st grade team its like I mentioned the winners of SG ball are clubs like Souths Penrith Newcastle Canberra, and their first grade is poor.

Jesbass_old

You're assuming to know where I stand on this issue regarding player promotion, when I haven't even stated my position. I haven't seen any NYC matches yet, so it would be bizarre for me to call for certain players to be promoted. The closest I've got is to say I expected Solomona to debut on the wing, but Kirk got the gig.

None of what you've said there affects the reality that Cleary is loyal to his players. Some coaches will change almost an entire team after a crushing loss. Cleary tends to retain close to, (if not identical to), the losing side the following week, except for where his hand is forced. He is clearly looking to the future, with the promotion of Fai, whereas Packer, (probably already in Cleary's future plans, anyway), is debuting because our top two props (in management's eyes, anyway) are both out injured.

During our six week losing streak in 2007, when one could argue there was the most reason to change lineups, how many changes did Cleary make? Minimal at most. That's not a criticism. It's just an observation.

I think you've completely missed the point of this thread. Yes, edguy was criticising Cleary, but he wasn't suggesting we should get rid of him. He was just crystal ball gazing, which is what a lot of forum threads are about. (Preferred lineups, pick the score, etc etc.)

Kid-Dynamite_old

Its funny how people sit here and say make all these changes, take big risks, well its easy when your job doesnt depend on it.

Yea, that's actually a fair call. But that's whata forum is isn't it. Coming up with opinions/ideas. I agree though Ivan has been getting a bit of stick, but that's just peoples opinions.
I personally agree with you, Ivan is doing o.k

Viking_old

What a load of garbage.

Water flows downstream.

So you don't believe in developing a winning culture at a team that's lacked one for 13 years? What the hell has water got to do with anything, it's a league team not a river? Heat rises, that doesn't justify my position either. Geez. Hey, here's another one for you, when you build a house do you start with the roof?

Superleague lasted 5 minutes, what possible rewards could any club get from that and what happened to those junior players so where's the relevance in that comparison? Yeah, they made the GF but they didn't win it, eh?

I am clutching at straws, I can't see the Warriors making it this year or the next at this rate and the success could start with the U20s. The Warriors haven't had a fantastic junior program to draw on, just natural talent. Usually their first taste of intense football is 1st grade

OK we do it your way, what is that again?

Viking_old

Thats going too far, we nearly got there in 02 and 03, what about Melbourne Canberra and look at Brisbane the most successful modern day team.
Look at Penrith and Souths they are always strong at SG Ball level.

4 of those 5 teams have taken premierships in the last 15 years or less. We made the finals of U18s, Reserves and 1st Grade in different years but couldn't win any of them. We got there on natural talent which we'll always be in with a chance of doing at any grade with Kiwi players, but couldn't get over the line, missed that extra something that gets the final result.

TheBigHitter_old

So you don't believe in developing a winning culture at a team that's lacked one for 13 years? What the hell has water got to do with anything, it's a league team not a river? Heat rises, that doesn't justify my position either. Geez. Hey, here's another one for you, when you build a house do you start with the roof?

Superleague lasted 5 minutes, what possible rewards could any club get from that and what happened to those junior players so where's the relevance in that comparison?

I am clutching at straws, I can't see the Warriors making it this year or the next at this rate and the success could start with the U20s. The Warriors haven't had a fantastic junior program to draw on, just natural talent. Usually their first taste of intense football is 1st grade

OK we do it your way, what is that again?

select the best 17 players available for firstgrade every week. If they are in the U20s so be it. You cant not select a player because you dont want to weaken your U20 team, what a joke.

Viking_old

select the best 17 players available for firstgrade every week. If they are in the U20s so be it. You cant not select a player because you dont want to weaken your U20 team, what a joke.

That's a fair call, I wouldn't deny Packer a shot at 1st grade just because the U20s might lose. The U20s shouldn't pin all their hopes on one player just as the 1st grade shouldn't pin theirs on Price.

My original post stated the only downside to Packer's promotion was that the U20s had a tough game this week. They'd better get used to it, Packer could be gone for a while.

He'll be the heaviest and tallest prop on the field for the Warriors, you still think he's too small? He does look smaller than his personal stats suggest though.

The whole 'just pick the best 17' strategy hasn't worked that well, the biggest criticism of the Warriors as a team is mental toughness. The most talented player isn't always the best player.

Skinny_Ravs82

Yea, that's actually a fair call. But that's whata forum is isn't it. Coming up with opinions/ideas. I agree though Ivan has been getting a bit of stick, but that's just peoples opinions.
I personally agree with you, Ivan is doing o.k

Everyone can have thier options/opinions and share it all they want. Nobody's going to have a go at them for doing it. But, what I find with this forum and a couple of others, is that fans have too much of the idea of a perfect team. One that has to get everything right from the get go. It is fine to expect the best from your team, but as arm chair critics/computer critics I think we lack alot of understanding of what it takes to be in the position as these professional are.

TheBigHitter_old

That's a fair call, I wouldn't deny Packer a shot at 1st grade just because the U20s might lose. The U20s shouldn't pin all their hopes on one player just as the 1st grade shouldn't pin theirs on Price.

My original post stated the only downside to Packer's promotion was that the U20s had a tough game this week. They'd better get used to it, Packer could be gone for a while.

He'll be the heaviest and tallest prop on the field for the Warriors, you still think he's too small? He does look smaller than his personal stats suggest though.

The whole 'just pick the best 17' strategy hasn't worked that well, the biggest criticism of the Warriors as a team is mental toughness. The most talented player isn't always the best player.

Your right he doesnt look very big at all.

I think we will come right as we get our key players back and as the grounds get a bit softer, temperatures lower a bit.

The real concern is the defence. Opposition have worked out how to crack us very easy, we cannot seem to defend against decoy runners and playings coming back on an angle. Pretty simple stuff.